Can people stop lying and say music is the main reason groups are successful?

• Its almost like an insult to groups that release masterpieces like this and no one cares cause a) theyre nugu b) dont have perfect visuals and c) probably going to disband anyway cause their company isnt solid enough

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Go to Best Answer
  • for Newjeans
    combo of members and music

the concept of Newjeans
    the image and aura of fresh and youth aura
    can't do it without their teenage lineup

it will look force or cringe if members in their 20s and up
    do the Newjeans concept or dance

• I don’t like these songs

No one says that music is the only factor but it’s not irrelevant either

Its easy to say that when its not released by a group youre interested

Which is exactly why i say music in kpop is not the main factor, never was never will be

Its more of a push

i didn't like these songs but i like both groups. they got good yt stuff

So youre saying they have good music?

JCsIq3Q.gif

• :flirt-pepe2:

This song is getting recognition in Korea :pepelove1: i must admit its one of the rare exceptions where the quality of the song speaks louder, bc the lyrics are awesome and can really help people heal

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Its easy to say that when its not released by a group youre interested

Which is exactly why i say music in kpop is not the main factor, never was never will be

Its more of a push

i like their vlogs

• Its easy to say that when its not released by a group youre interested

Its more of a push

So it’s about what other people think is good/ what gets most exposure etc

• Normally yes, it doesn’t matter if you have great music, but if you’re unknown, it’s hard to have many people listening in. But once in a while you get anomalies that able to break through that glass ceiling because of consistently great music.

Yeah I know some will be rolling their eyes. But it did happened and the initial objective of ARMY was to create awareness of BTS whenever we can because we want more people exposed to their great music. That was all we wanted. Because we know the only way out of nuguness is to be known. And if you really have consistently great music and more people know you, then your chance to shine is greater. But it won’t be overnight.

So you’re doing great OP, because of this thread you are making this two unknown group to me (and maybe others), known. And yeah these are bops. Keep on promoting them!

• i feel like you are speaking exclusively from a western person who discovered kpop after bts boom perspective

i know people, myself included who were into the extra ultra superficial stuff as kids but dont give a shit about it anymore but still listen to kpop because, lets be honest, they do put out bangers

there's just so MUCH coming out everyday, that most of it is bound to be forgettable and/or forgotten

its absolutely a game of luck ( although certain fandoms will love to deny )

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• it's not a main factor as much as it is just one of them. its really a combination of exposure/luck and good music. you can have all the exposure in the world but if your music is trash people wont care (ie. nmixx). meanwhile you can have a fantastic discography but still be pretty underrated (wjsn)

people wont care if their music suck but theyre still gonna have a bigger fandom and better sales than those that dont have as much exposure

JCsIq3Q.gif

• i feel like you are speaking exclusively from a western person who discovered kpop after bts boom perspective

please. I dont need to have a different background to know that. Brave Girls already proved my point. No one gave a shit about rollin until some random edit went viral lol. Same thing with up&down becoming a popular song bc of hani's fancam. In kpop its not just about music regardless of the perspective i have

JCsIq3Q.gif

• groups who havent debuted yet can have 10s or 100s of thousands pre-order

how is that musical success?

External Content www.youtube.com

• please. I dont need to have a different background to know that. Brave Girls already proved my point. No one gave a shit about rollin until some random edit went viral lol. Same thing with up&down becoming a popular song bc of hani's fancam

as i said, there's SO MUCH coming out, no one has the time to or needs to check out everything to be satisfied

regardless, when a LOT of people like a song, its more than likely a well-liked song

i dont like a lot of chart topping songs either but I can see their appeal

if you think there's 100 good nugu songs coming out per year, be realistic, maybe 1 will get discovered

why? because people wont bother

because they dont care about good songs? no, because they have busy lives of their own and cant be arsed

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• I Stan over 30+ BG's, and i can guarantee you that there is a ton of fucking visuals and great music out there that get ignored because they aren't from big companies.

Half the people don't know that SF9 already renewed, half the people don't know that VAV is about to renew their contract and come out with a new album. You have dignity who "technically" debuted last year with a pre-debut song and not a damn person knows them but it took one listen to that song and their live performance and I was hooked.

so maybe for you and your gg's music doesn't matter...but Music is what keeps me interested. I have dropped a lot of groups becuase their music went in a direction I didn't like. They are still visually appealing, sure. But if there music isn't to my tastes i'm not going to listen to them.

So yeah music is a big deal. But so is company priviledge. If you're not able to go out there and be on every music show or have your name plastered everywhere, then people aren't going to give you the time of day.

I can guarantee you, no one here knows who Dignity, WeNU, Fave1, Ambition, Maximum, or The7 are...Yet they have some amazing music out there and one was already on a music show. They all have visuals but who's gonna know if they don't go check them out?

Again it took their music for me to even notice them. So yeah Music is a big part.

• I get what you mean but like i said its stupid to say its all about the music when good music cant be successful if it doesnt have other factors to back it up. You just proved my op lol

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Can people stop lying that visuals are the main reason groups are successful? If it is all about visuals, why aren't EXO and NCT bigger than BTS?

You cant be fr when the most popular bts members are the visuals lol

Exo and nct are some of the most popular bgs.

All three groups you mentioned got carried not just by visuals or music or whatever but the combo of it. None of these groups would be the same if you took out one of the factors that brought them popularity. So again its not just the music

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Music definitely is the main factor behind success. You can have the largest company in the world promote an Nmixx song but it isnt going to chart.

Same with a nugu group, it just takes the right song to be noticed and suddenly you’re popular. Look at how DSP became done things out of nothing, or even Big Hit who was a failing nugu company with literally only one GG that was hitting scandal after scandal, and then through promoting BTS enough with great music people started to pay attention.

The issue now is that kpop stans are impatient. You arent historically (in any music industry) going to debut your first song as a hit, but now we expect groups to be charting worldwide on day one with no fanbase.

We dont even measure success correctly in kpop

Being successful doesnt mean you’re number one. It means that you’re comfortably living and you have some sort of mass influence

If just 1 million paid attention to every post you made on YouTube you’d be successful, but not if you’re in kpop??? Weird

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• Please reread what i said. You are confused and just confirmed my op i am technically defending ur faves

I'm not confused i was agreeing with you and giving my 2 cents...

Are people not allowed to agree and give an opinion or something lol

• In general, the most important factor for groups to not fail is exposure / promotion. But since nugu groups don’t have that, luck is their best chance to blow up. Whereas for groups from big companies where the exposure / promotion is already guaranteed thanks to the company label, music / concept then becomes the driving factor in deciding which group will come out on top. Extra perks like the idols’ visuals or charms or personalities all come into play too but essentially to dominate on a wide scale if your music doesn’t resonate with a wide portion of the public, no amount of company privilege or huge budget promotion can take you to the next level in terms of public recognition. Better just be content with “only” having a built in decent-sized to big fandom so you don’t go under after a few years like most nugu groups who don’t have the luck to succeed regardless of what their music sounds like.

People acting like your music doesn’t matter to have a string of many hit songs are equally foolish as those acting like the music is the only thing that matters lol this shit is like the pot calling the kettle black and neither is as pale as they think :pepe-joy:

• Why is everyone pretending nmixx didnt sold 400k at debut, got a loewe deal and have more views than any nugu gg with better music like..

I cant even take the rest u guys say seriously bc credibility goes down the drain there.

This goes for everyone, stop using this nmixx fallacy its not gonna work on me i know that they are doing better than h1key for example,maybe even xg

JCsIq3Q.gif

• In general, the most important factor for groups to not fail is exposure / promotion. But since nugu groups don’t have that, luck is their best chance to blow up. Whereas for groups from big companies where the exposure / promotion is already guaranteed thanks to the company label, music / concept then becomes the driving factor in deciding which group will come out on top. Extra perks like the idols’ visuals or charms or personalities all come into play too but essentially to dominate on a wide scale if your music doesn’t resonate with a wide portion of the public, no amount of company privilege or huge budget promotion can take you to the next level in terms of public recognition. Better just be content with “only” having a built in decent-sized to big fandom so you don’t go under after a few years like most nugu groups who don’t have the luck to succeed regardless of what their music sounds like.

People acting like your music doesn’t matter to have a string of many hit songs are equally foolish as those acting like the music is the only thing that matters lol this shit is like the pot calling the kettle black and neither is as pale as they think :pepe-joy:

I agree with you but i dont understand where u guys are seeing that i said music doesnt make a difference? Its just not the main reason bc if they didnt had exposure or came from a specific company none of you would give a shit

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Oh sorry then i was the one confused, my bad

No worries.

There's a lot of good groups out there but they are just so overlooked because they don't have the exposure that the bigger companies provide, not necessarily the big 3 but like bigger companies in general. It really sucks, because on this forum I've seen people say "i won't look at any group that doesn't come from the big companies" and i'm just like...you're missing out on great shit by having that mindset...

I wish all the groups had equal chances but of course that's not logical. Even a nugu group with great dancing, visuals, and some light exposure still get overlooked. It really does stink. The market has a ton of groups out there and it's really hard to make a name for yourself unless you have all that. Poor Nugus.

• Normally yes, it doesn’t matter if you have great music, but if you’re unknown, it’s hard to have many people listening in. But once in a while you get anomalies that able to break through that glass ceiling because of consistently great music.

Yeah I know some will be rolling their eyes. But it did happened and the initial objective of ARMY was to create awareness of BTS whenever we can because we want more people exposed to their great music. That was all we wanted. Because we know the only way out of nuguness is to be known. And if you really have consistently great music and more people know you, then your chance to shine is greater. But it won’t be overnight.

So you’re doing great OP, because of this thread you are making this two unknown group to me (and maybe others), known. And yeah these are bops. Keep on promoting them!

It still doesn’t mean it was mainly because of the music. Kpop itself relies on developing a para social relationship with the idols. So this statement isn’t suddenly untrue for BTS. If they had just dropped the music without ever releasing vlives/tweeting and connecting with people on social media and making you like them you think they would be just as successful? If you do well that’s just naivety. The way they developed the para social relations was lot less pushed by traditional ways the big companies did true but that doesn’t negate the fact the para social relationship were indeed built and that led to their fame as well.

KPOP regardless of the act sells a lot of things that’s not music and BTS isn’t exempt from this.

• This thread contains 167 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!