Why do most idols abandon music, once they find success in acting?

• The only exceptions seem to be IU and Eunji, everyone else either completely abandons or drastically reduce their work in music.

Workload, profits can only be part of the reason.

If they genuinely enjoyed perfoming music, why would they drop it so quickly?

Not even Youtube covers etc.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• bc alot of them wanted to be actors to begin with and idol life was just a gateway for them

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Two reasons, I think.

1. The idol life was a stepping stone to their career aspirations, either of becoming an actor or a public figure.

2. They may love making music but the idol life is too demanding. Being a 28 year old man or woman and having people freak out because you date, smoke or don’t want to pretend to be a squeaky squirrel on demand is a damned chore. Just because you “signed up for this” doesn’t mean you truly understood the expectations/toll. Even if you transition into a successful career as a soloist, there are still expectations on how you behave vs other soloists. No one is freaking out about who Crush or Jay Park is dating but they’ll lose their shit about Baekhyun.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• some idols who can neither sing or rap probably go into acting cause thats all they can do without a group, and others probably always wanted or can't get other jobs

• Most of the responses are what i'd say, but I would also add that maybe they were given an opportunity and found they enjoy it more than idol life, but due to contracts have to still do things with their groups etc, once the contracts are over they become full time actors. I am sure it is less of a demand, less stress, and they aren't out there vigorously working on choreo, straining their voice for that perfect note to record etc. Some end up being pretty damn good actors like SF9's Rowoon and Chani, Astro's Eunwoo etc. While they are amazing artists in their group i also enjoy their work as actors. As long as they are happy i'll keep supporting them.

• speculating: Possible Reasons:

I think acting celebrities enjoy the bit of "exclusivity" in that they aren't as required to do fan interactions. Fans can be >_>

Further if they earn much more money from acting, especially when they gain seniority in acting ( iron man 1, RDJ wasn't the highest paid actor !)

Most of them treated Idol life as a stepping stone to get them fit, to give them the tools of the trade, and give them a name. Its a good starter pack tbh. Plus your fandom might carry over too.

(treat all of these statements as if they have "probably" appended to the front)

• Another reason is bc their solo stans want them to

Once they hit big with acting, their solo stans will throw hissy fits if they go back to their groups for music

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Seems most responses agree on,

#1. They weren't into music in the first place, but just a celebrity life.

#2. Being an idol doing constant fan service, subject to the policing done by fans about their morals and life choices, is not enjoyed by most idols.

It is just an act they put on and with a better option in actual acting, they are quick to dump idoling.

Valid points.

• agree on everything but wanna add that actors in south korea are considered ''real celebs'' and have a highger status than idols

• Maybe then the question should be reversed.

Why don't some idols abandon idol-ing, when they find success as actors, while most others do?

Again IU or Eunji, they don't lack offers, yet have stuck to music - no matter its difficulties.

IU at least can say immense success, but Apink is not even a top tier group.

And Eunji sure loves music, her YouTube channel with her doing some fantastic covers is evidence enough.

Makes me wonder, if majority of idols are faking the love they have for their art and fans, if they are so quick to abandon it.

• Maybe they were tired of doing music or something? Top idol actresses like Suzy and Yoona didn't abandon music. Both released music this year. Krystal another popular actress was active as an idol for more than 5 years before she focused on acting. D.O is also active as both an actor and idol. Park Hyungsik and Siwan never had successful idol careers so why would they bother releasing music.

Idols normally have shorter careers than actors so it's not surprising for me most would go into acting to stay relevant. Plus it's less hectic and you probably get paid more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!