What's the most important factor of measuring a group's success?

• everything, all of the above. there's no one metric that can determine a group's success, and a lot of them are going to be great in some areas but poor in others.

imo touring is the ultimate way to measure how successful a group is just because you can't bulk buy or zombie stream physical audiences

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Relevant:

- Touring

- Album Sales

- Streams

Real metrics for success, either by measuring fandom, casual fans or casual listeners

Not really relevant:

- Youtube Views

- Social Media following

Social Media seems irrelevant as most of idols don't get endorsements on social media. Youtube views are the poor cousin of streams, with ridiculously low average payment and inflated because of ads and mass streaming projects

Completely irrelevant:

- Charting

- Brand reputation lists

- Awards based on sales or voting

Those are redundant and mostly useless metrics. It's only a reflection of sales and streams, fandom size, spamming, etc which can be already measured by the 3 mentioned above

• Charting.

Everyone says touring but i'm looking at the attendance figures and i'm wondering just how profitable touring actually is. There's a lot of costs involved with holding concerts thousands of miles away. How much money are you really making from 4k venues?

I think album sales are far more profitable but they're heavily fanbase dependent, it could literally be 30k people buying 33.33 albums each to get to 1M.

• I think Youtube is relevant because kpop is really visual centered genre. You can stare your faves by watching your albums, but I bet more people enjoy visuals by watching Youtube videos.

• I think Youtube is relevant because kpop is really visual centered genre. You can stare your faves by watching your albums, but I bet more people enjoy visuals by watching Youtube videos.

While I agree a good MVs are very important to make a group successful, getting big Youtube views aren't. Firstly, not all songs of a group will get a MV release as we could see recently for Treasure, TxT, and Enhypen a good examples of how get attention for a song without a MV.

I actually doubt most of the people listen to kpop on Youtube only because they enjoy watching the videos, rather because it's free and available everywhere unlike let's say Spotify. In Korea people uses stream services (Melon, Genie, etc) far more than watching videos.

• Charting is irrelevant because the charts has no practical meaning, it's a reflection of sales and streams. Saying charting has any sort or relevance is like saying a table of the top sellers are as important as the sales themselves, do you see how this makes no sense?

Something can be sold as a collectible, it's like vynils. People buy them because they are big, fancy and nice to decorate their rooms. Did you know Pokemon brand makes more money from merchandising than from game sales? Albums are like kpop merchan, nobody is listening to them, but they are a relevant metric nonetheless.

The only reason why you don't want to accept that is because you're a butthurt girlgroup stan who hates boygroups because they enjoy bigger longer careers thanks to... urgh, album sales and touring, who would have thought? I know your type well enough.

• Charting is irrelevant because the charts has no practical meaning, it's a reflection of sales and streams. Sells charting has any sort or relevance is like saying a table of the top sellers are as important as the sales themselves, do you see how this makes no sense?

Something can be sold as a collectible, it's like vynils. People buy them because they are big, fancy and nice to decorate their rooms. Did you know Pokemon brand makes more money from merchandising than from game sales? Albums are like kpop merchan, nobody is listening to them, but they are a relevant metric nonetheless.

The only reason why you don't want to accept that is because you're a butthurt girlgroup stan who hates boygroups because they enjoy bigger longer careers thanks to... urgh, album sales and touring, who would have thought? I know your type well enough.

You talk about which charting Spotify, melon, or gaon ?

Also charting is important it saved many groups to disband or totally flop.

• You talk about which charting Spotify, melon, or gaon ?

I understand charting as = The positions in you are in a table

Like, saying getting number ones, top 10, 100, 1000 etc

But what truly matters, in the end, is the number of sales and streams

Charting are cool stuff to follow, I personally enjoy following them, but I'm well aware they are a subjective and circumstantial metric. For instance, if Drake comeback with a 25 songs album filling the top 25 spots and you debut at number #26 doesn't mean you flopped, only means Drake did better and you would be #1 if it was not him.

• All of the above and none of the above.

The bottom line of a groups success is just that. The bottom line.

Are they making a good bit of money then they are a success and doesn't matter if it comes from youtube views, concerts or even just CFs. The person that tanks with streams but sells 20,000,000 albums will be laughing at your "But they don't chart" comment as they drive by in their Bugatti Chiron.

• Depends, popular artists with popular songs will be remembered even if hey can’t get good tour numbers, you’ll hear their name and will remember a couple songs and that’s success

But there’s something different about artists that can pull worldwide stadium tours so I choose touring lol

• Charting is irrelevant because the charts has no practical meaning, it's a reflection of sales and streams. Saying charting has any sort or relevance is like saying a table of the top sellers are as important as the sales themselves, do you see how this makes no sense?

Honestly yeah, the album sales metric seems to go against their narrative. Hence why they dismiss them. Like, okay yeah sure. They don't matter at all. Whatever you say /s

:pepepizza:

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• If this is exclusive to Kpop then rank will be album sales>>touring>>youtube views. Kpop industry moves differently from mainstream and more on fandom-focused. I would say that these three are the metrics to see how huge is the group's fandom which indicates 'success' whether profitable or longevity.

But looking at these metrics- just wanna appreciate how BTS topped all of these. I hope more groups can have the success of BTS.

• IMO, the most important factor is one that's not on your list.

Money made.

Every other metric can be impacted by context. e.g.

• Album sales - cheap vs expensive, bulk buys, economic climate
    • Views/Streams - ads, bots, fandom streaming
    • Charting - someone had a great example above using Drake, No 1 in 2022 is probably not the same as No 1 in 2013.
    • Touring - comp tickets, venue capacity, tour location
    • Social Media - paid followers, multiple accounts

I think there are then tiers to it.

To start with, if you aren't getting paid, you aren't successful.

Then you've got those that just scrape by.

Then you've got those who could be considered successful and have income in line with average non-celebs

Then those who are rich by normal standards

Then those who are rich rich, who buy buildings, businesses, fancy cars etc.

There are obviously levels within levels here but you get the gist of it.

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!