I never understood why working with variety of composers is held against SM groups

• In any line of work having the freedom to collaborate and work with variety of people is a great opportunity for expanding your profile and creativity.

Being forced to work with the same in-house composers over and over again can get old real fast for the idols themselves.

Here is a quote of great wisdom by Key who got an opportunity to work with an underground composer who doesn’t dwell in idol world usually:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• SM has always been in the receiving end for everything. Nothing they do ever seems right to anyone.

Everything is bad when it's done by a SM group. :pepe-clown-walk:

Watch out

they gonna barge in here and call you entitled trashy sm stans

:pepe-comfy:

• Yeah I like that they're willing to work with many different writers and explore musically

Just drop Yoo Youngjin and we're good :pepe-just-smile:

whats your beef with that dude?

• Yeah I like that they're willing to work with many different writers and explore musically

Just drop Yoo Youngjin and we're good :pepe-just-smile:

wait he did RDD, Lucifer, Good evening and Atlantis

I like him

• you need to remember that there is 'sister' company

I always forgot it's name, the one in which LSM gathered about 10 if not more music producers

they are from both Korea, and foreign countries

so some people might say that SM doesn't have 'in-house producers' or that they use worldwide producers, but in real life it's somewhere between all those options, kind of like grey zone

I always forgot it's name, the one in which LSM gathered about 10 if not more music producers

so some people might say that SM doesn't have 'in-house producers' or that they use worldwide producers, but in real life it's somewhere between all those options, kind of like grey zone

I never said they don't have in-house composers

They just don't force their groups to choose between working with them or dungeon

• Been through that before, have enough experience to deal with it again :smirks2:

I'm here feeding your victim complex

• Sticker and whatever in the dishwasher Savage was

Idk about sticker and savage but ae energy is like a new version of shinee world and I live for it

That company also works with dozens of other companies and companies like it exist all over the world because they can really help songwriters and producers sell their songs.

But the point of the thread still stands... it's evil when SM works with outside producers and revolutionary when other groups do it.

• oKaY sM sTaN

Do better

be more insulting

The least we get is trash bags

:pep-pj-pink:

• I never said they don't have in-house composers

They just don't force their groups to choose between working with them or dungeon

well the only known cases of this thang would be

Teddy

Shinsadong Tiger & Elly

Brave Brothers

because even Black Eyed Pilseung duo gave STAYC different producers/lyricists (Beom & Nang, Jeon Goon, Prime Time, will.b)

• Thanks, YG stans used to give hard time back in 2nd gen era, now its Hybe groups' stans :gossip-raccoon:

The day Tablo revealed LeeHi and Jjong collab, akp users pulled their hairs out real times

It was so crazy

They wanted both Tablo and LeeHi out as traitors

• The question of this thread is still not answered in your replies

Why do SM groups get criticized for working with different composers while in general diversifying your work is a positive thing?

• Preach

And I like that they aren't afraid to give opportunities to producers who are relatively new to the kpop scene. NCT Dream's latest album is a good example of that. Many of the producers weren't the usual SM goes for, especially the title track - I believe the only kpop song they had previously worked on was a b-side on Chen's second mini album.

This is quite evident also in the soloists' albums. The composers of Kai's tracks are totally different from the ones who produced Suho's or Baekhyun's, and that's within the same group.

• I think they have a great concept when it comes to producing. they even do producing camps where producers from all over the world get together and create music. they let their own idols produce and work together with international producers too.

I`m not really a fan of the sm hate. I`m not saying sm is the perfect company, but there is nothing perfect in this world. those ppl trash talking about sm just retell anti speech they read online and even believe it. the truth is, we dont know anything about sm or other companies. so ppl should stop acting like sm is the freaking antichrist and all other companies jesus.

e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj 1c0edef70bd6974f36d15be96d5399a1cfaed76e.gifv c205b019cd8a46c569e9c4e2f04194a2fde39f74.gifv e27eb299e8ce0bafba7649c82fc04d200d42a974.gifv e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj

♦ visit my aesthetic shop here

• People often forget there are plenty of ways to criticize how SM has conducted itself as a business.

But if you want an honest answer, anytime I see a short story of producers/composers, to me that's not a song worth listening to.

Songs are meant to be creative outlets for composers and musicians - a song with 6+ people working on it isn't a song designed to any sort of vision, it's simply a commercial music product designed by committee, for maximum focus group coverage. It's soulless even more than usual by Kpop Standards.

And that approach is very often found in SM (and also Hybe) songs. So I get why people avoid SM songs, because I can understand and agree with the reasoning to avoid them.

Also indifference isn't hate. I've outlined reasons why I personally avoid anything SM, but it's not like I'm out there hating or posting shit about their groups and members. I simply avoid them completely.

• I think they have a great concept when it comes to producing. they even do producing camps where producers from all over the world get together and create music. they let their own idols produce and work together with international producers too.

I`m not really a fan of the sm hate. I`m not saying sm is the perfect company, but there is nothing perfect in this world. those ppl trash talking about sm just retell anti speech they read online and even believe it. the truth is, we dont know anything about sm or other companies. so ppl should stop acting like sm is the freaking antichrist and all other companies jesus.

Idk about composition because most of their music doesn't match my taste but their production is top tier.

• They have song writing camps to work on those productions. Those camps have facilited alot of collaborations.

If you are not even bothering to listen to them, then you simply cannot have an opinion on their quality or originality.

• idk how to tell you this, but kpop is literally commercial music regardless of how many producers are on a song.

• I agree completely with the point about songwriting by committee. It's INSANE right now, whether Kpop or local pop, how many freaking brains does it take to write a 2.7 minute ditty that any rando with Garageband can whip up in 20 minutes.

In contrast, look at my boy Teddy. This master hitmaker wrote a masterpiece almost by himself. Filled with multiple moving parts, complex but still cohesive, a real song that is interesting and that takes you somewhere.

• I'm dead

• How long has been BP hiatus by now?

• How long has been BP hiatus by now?

Low blow :pepe-hips: .

I'm not even talking about SM specifically, i'm just sayin that there used to be a time when songwriting was an art. When even the mustiest dudes who looked like they hadnt seen a shower in weeks played instruments and wrote entire albums all by themselves, albums that went on to sell millions or even tens of millions.

Nowadays, we have Olivia, Soyeon, 3Racha...and who else? I loved Kiss Me More for example, Doja Cat is great, but that simple melody and beat took ELEVEN SONGWRITERS AND PRODUCERS to make. I was aghast when i saw that shit. :pepefacepalm:

• War flashbacks to paid online concerts lol

Superm paved the way

:pepe-wink:

• To say it's not art bc it's collaborative is a very narrow view imo

Not just for song writing but any art decipline

For me collaborative efforts make everything better Not diminishing it

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!