Chinese bars from NCT Dream threaten to boycott NCT's releases and SM for lack of promotions and investment

• Never a dull day in Ncity

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I thought they were already boycotting. Maybe they'll send another truck. :pepepizza:

• So It's SM's mistake, but the boys who suffer the consequences? Never understand this logic

It's not even SM's mistake. They literally want them to be overworked. They're literally in the middle of preparing for the repackage album and these fans are whining because the Dream members didn't also film content for this month's NCT Show.

• It's not even SM's mistake. They literally want them to be overworked. They're literally in the middle of preparing for the repackage album and these fans are whining because the Dream members didn't also film content for this month's NCT Show.

It's even worse than I thought. I supposed they were genuinely being badly promoted, but It's an exaggeration :pepe-hips:

• I thought they were already boycotting. Maybe they'll send another truck. :pepepizza:

Renjun and Jaemin bars the types to boycott when their favs get 0,03s of screentime less than the others

So It's SM's mistake, but the boys who suffer the consequences? Never understand this logic

Chinese bars specially from Dream have been boycotting comebacks since like 2020 so it's not new. They know threatening to not buy albums affects the company, and NCT is at the middle of it.

• Renjun and Jaemin bars the types to boycott when their favs get 0,03s of screentime less than the others

Chinese bars specially from Dream have been boycotting comebacks since like 2020 so it's not new. They know threatening to not buy albums affects the company, and NCT is at the middle of it.

I feel like NCT 2021 proved that the fandom has grown to the point that no one noticed they even boycotted. :pepe-hehe:

• It's even worse than I thought. I supposed they were genuinely being badly promoted, but It's an exaggeration :pepe-hips:

It always is with them. You can tell the entitlement is there because WayV also wasn't in any of this month's content (aside from like 2 minutes of Yangyang) because the members were visiting their families and WayZenNi's are smart enough to realize you can't do two things at once. :nct29:

• Dream is more active than ever since last year, imagine poor Mark becoming even more active :pepe-life-support:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just realized Shotaro stans have nothing to boycott :pepe-puddle:

• It's even worse than I thought. I supposed they were genuinely being badly promoted, but It's an exaggeration :pepe-hips:

With NCT (specially Dream) it's a touchy subject, more than bad promotion I'd say there is a general sense of SM lacking on showcase NCT lately to a wider audience... when both units manage to sell so well, you expect more high quality content than tik tok challenges and behind the scenes. I think SM knows that NCT's youtube content made them grow a lot and they seem to barely try to reach to bigger audiences, it's just content for the fans with recycled ideas over and over.

Another valid concern for me are the pre-comeback promotions aka the teasers, for me and for many people NCT's teasers since last year have been very uninspired and depend heavily on the visuals and a palette color at the background. Like I know it's not sustainable to have a ton of track videos but it feels so... lazy? Like we'll have 12 teaser images, 7 gifs or images moving and at the very best a highlight medley, is this really the way to capture a new audience?

And then there's the MVs, look, I'm not someone to complain about NCT MV's because they really amplify their music imo, and they have some cool CGI and camera tricks here and there, they have more than enough technical quality, but the dancing on 3 slightly different sets from the SM box is getting repetitive and the whole situation is begging for an MV shoot on the outside at this point... I know covid is happening, but idk... When I watch a Stray Kids, TxT or aespa MV I want to cry when comparing them to any MV from NCT last year... do you remember how fresh Boss felt when released or the CGI that Superhuman had? Because at this point I won't lol.

I know NCT is entering a different era of "SM minimalism" that older SM groups fans know very well, but Dream genuinely has the age of a 4th gen group and on their 2nd full album, the best teaser they had was a highlight medley... And NCT 2021 felt so rushed too when compared to NCT 2018 and NCT 2020, I understand some of the fans concerns in this case.

• I think your concerns are totally valid. It's frustrating seeing your faves selling so well and being so profitable, but lacking a higher quality and more interesting content to capture non-fans attention to their material.

It also sucks when an act is already very successful and the agency seems satisfied enough with what they reached because It's working well, when they could've been bigger.

• This boycott is literally about YouTube content. They're threatening a boycott because SM won't make NCT Dream work 24/7 for fucking YouTube content.

NCT Dream had 7llin season 2 and Glitch Mode skits. They've been regularly featured in all of the NCT Show content except April because they're preparing for a comeback. They're also preparing for both KPOP Flex and Mark and Haechan are preparing for the 127 Dome tour. Dream have been just as featured in this content as 127 in previous months. I guess they should have sent one of them to learn skating and potentially get injured so we can have two members missing out on promotions.

The main complaint from Dreamzens is that 127 was in last year's season of NCT Life while completely ignoring the fact that Dream was in the season before that or even acknowledging that Mark and Haechan missed half the season because of commitments to NCT Dream.

So they didn't do track videos. Ok and? Was the album somehow less enjoyable because there was no track video? There weren't any for Favorite either. Sometimes it's okay to not hear 2/3rds of a song before the album drops.

Yes NCT 2021 was rushed and so was Sticker and Favorite, but Dreamzens don't care about NCT 2021 or how it was promoted or if it felt rushed. This is about whining over the fact that Dream decided to work on their repackage instead of learning how to skate... but oh wait the China fans are mad about that content too.

• Well their statement also talked about teasers and such so that's why I talked about other things. I may just be projecting about my also personal complaints so there's that. Not justifying the boycott at all.

• There are a lot of people, especially the "dreamzen" section of the fandom, who fail to realize a few things regarding NCT and SM. First of all, they never do the same pre-comeback rollout/content for their groups every year. In 2020, both sub-units got track videos for all their b-sides, then in 2021 they got fewer track videos, but that 7dream café type of content before the actual teasers started being released. Then this year we saw what happened. Since last year's pre-comeback rollout was very sucessful and very welcome within the fandom, they thought things would be the same every year, but well... SM has never promised to give us the same comeback rollout for every release and it is what it is at this point. The thing is that giving us different types of comeback content does not equal to mistreatment or mismanagement. "then why not give us the same thing if it's working?" Again it's SM, they never do the same thing over and over. I myself enjoy track videos, but I'm not going to pop veins over something that does not contribute to their success and it's just part of content for the fandom. There are bigger fights to pick IMO.

They also complain about the glitch concept being vague... I mean, it's not the company's fault that you're failing to grasp such an easy concept. Renjunbar even mentioned Renjun's short hair in one of their statements, like... c'mon.

Another complaint is related to promotions more specifically. I won't even mention the dance practice issue because it's pretty obvious they won't do it without Chenle who's still recovering from his injury. I've been seeing that both 127zens and Dreamzens wanting to see the sub-units appearing on variety shows to get them more exposure. But what does that would exactly do for them? Who said SM is not trying to put them on these shows anyways? It's not the company's fault that the "GP" is no longer interested in boy groups at the moment and if you look at the ratings, whenever an idol group has appeared on Knowing Bros, for example, the ratings drop horribly. Even aespa, that appeared on Knowing Bros last year, got the lowest ratings of the year for the show. ITZY and SuperM (whose some members are fairly known by the "GP") also got terrible ratings. NCT's target audience is watching Youtube, it's where they should be focusing on and it was very cool that the Dreamies appeared on Rain's YT show, their video trended for a few days on Youtube Korea which shows the strategy of putting them on YT shows actually work. One of NCT 127's videos on the channel MMTG has just surpassed 6M views. Even the last season of 7llin managed to trend over there. Youtube is growing immensely in the country and their target audience does not watch TV. This is factual, and not me speculating. Of course it'd be nice to see them on a famous tv show, but NCTzens act like that appearing on them will suddenly change the course of their career and it'll be their breakthrough.

There were also complaints about the fact that SM did not release THE DREAM STAGE for free. But why would they when it was an offline concert? They would never release an offline concert for free on Beyond Live. How it was announced was completely unfair, but making it free would not make sense considering there was a live audience for the show.

Int-fans overall think C-bars are some type of organization that hold enough power to change the course of the careers of the group they stan when in reality it's been proven time and time again that NCT DOES NOT need C-bars to sell millions of albums and, historically, SM have never cared about them (just look at WayV and how some C-bars have been treated by that agency, we always hear gossips and rumors about how SM/LabelV doesn't give a shit about them even when they are supposed to!).

I'm for one not defending SM and I hate them as much as the next person, but NCTzens fail to see the whole picture and there's way too much entitlement on how the group should be managed and blowing up things out of proportion. The bigger fight that we should be fighting are the endless fancalls lol... it's pretty obvious they will never have an offline fansign ever again and how they will just keep milking this fandom dry. And it's pretty strange how fans are very ok with that.

Edited once, last by NEO ().

• The bigger fight that we should be fighting are the endless fancalls lol... it's pretty obvious they will never have an offline fansign ever again and how they will just keep milking this fandom dry. And it's pretty strange how fans are very ok with that.

Did you see the one yesterday where someone insulted Mark? I'll fight someone. :pepe-army:

• Don't mistake dream bars for nctzens with actual concerns, these are the same manager fans that send trucks to protest against the award that two of their faves won or that boycotted all the group releases since resonance pt 1. They don't care if 127 or 2021 was underpromoted, they just want their biases to have solo magazines and more YouTube content because they have seen 127 members get that.

• I like to think of myself now as a Dreamzen because I like and support NCT Dream but then I wonder if I am, because I just don’t see what people are complaining about.

As someone who is also an EXO-L, it is hard for me to fathom complaints about lack of promotion. NCT Dream gets a shit ton of promotion.

I get that it may be different than NCT 127 or not what fans want, but as someone who has been posting updates behind three different NCT Dream cbs, I can say they have heavy promotion, particularly compared to other cbs at SM.

I see complaints about MV budgets but I’m sure all the aespa fans who complain about lack of content would love to have a fraction of the YT content that Dream comes out with and would happily swap some MV budget for Haechan 37.5, Chenji’s This and That, 7Illin our Youth (6 eps), Dream vs Dream (4 eps), Glitch Live simulation (2 eps), 6 behind the scenes videos, Studio Choom and a Beyond Live concert that Dream had on this recent cb. (That’s not counting the standard stuff like reaction vid to MV, unboxing, countdown live.)

Then my WayZenni eyes roll all the way back to Pompeii when I see Dreamzens crying about lack of promotion or mistreatment. Again, I’ll trade you the concert tour you’re about to embark on and the 3 albums you released, the three series and all the social content for the zero fucks given by SM/Label V.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• if they give the bare minimum and still sale millions on each colour shape and size of the same album over and over again...

yeah sm knows you are stupid

oh this is not anons :whatk: , well i am still saying it :pepe-shrug:

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• they just want their biases to have solo magazines

But do you know why Taeyong, Doyoung and Yuta (in Japan) constantly get solo magazine gigs?

Because they have a platform to "promote" their solo gigs. They have instagram where they post stuff to attract attention to the BRAND, not the magazine per se. Selling 30k+ magazines does absolutely nothing lol. Of course fans will use that to brag about their faves selling stuff and being popular, but at the end of the day it does not mean a thing. Yuta is one of the most followed Japanese celebs on instagram, so by default he gets more magazines interested in him. But he's also making connections and he has realized that connections are everything in the entertainment industry.

They are putting themselves out there and constantly taking pictures with brands that casually endorse them or give them gifts. Doyoung just posted a bunch of pics on instagram fully clothed with Alexander Mcqueen stuff.

It's time for fans to hold these men accountable too. We can't expect SM to do everything for them. They need to move and put themselves out there. Open an instagram acc, start a soundcloud, but do something. They can't promote brands on... bubble.

• Going to hop off what you just said - 127 members perhaps being older take charge of promoting themselves.

Taeyong created a simple Tik Tok friendly dance to go with his song and is getting multiple people to do it .... on the flip side glitch mode choreo is Tik Tok friendly but not much effort was made by the members to go out there and get other idols (hell even other NCT unit members/SM seniors) to do the dance with them and post....It's fine if they are introverted and do not want to do these things but dreamzens need to realise that there's only so much SM can be expected to do.

• Going to hop off what you just said - 127 members perhaps being older take charge of promoting themselves.

Taeyong created a simple Tik Tok friendly dance to go with his song and is getting multiple people to do it .... on the flip side glitch mode choreo is Tik Tok friendly but not much effort was made by the members to go out there and get other idols (hell even other NCT unit members/SM seniors) to do the dance with them and post....It's fine if they are introverted and do not want to do these things but dreamzens need to realise that there's only so much SM can be expected to do.

Some fans still call them "children" and infantilize them all the time, so... :S

People want to blame the company over everything when the members should be doing something for themselves too. Being on social media is a huge advantage and does open many doors, but it's not the company's fault if they don't want to be on it.

• if they give the bare minimum and still sale millions on each colour shape and size of the same album over and over again...

yeah sm knows you are stupid

oh this is not anons :whatk: , well i am still saying it :pepe-shrug:

I mean atleast the fans are getting new music

:pepe-shrug:

• Never understood fans boycotting sth

SM needs to figure out how to promote their groups in a more productive manner

It seems like they do abit of everything and sometimes that doesnt have big impact

• To add to this... Doyoung is a hustler. He's knows the business side of things which is why he keeps getting booked in magazines. He's friends with the managers, he's friends with several seniors in the company, hell he's friends with people his brother knows from the acting side of things... he puts himself out there. That's why everyone gets so pissed at him and tries to make it out like he's somehow undermining the entire group when he's literally putting in the leg work to get booked.

Mark and Haechan are literally working their asses off to just keep up with Dream and 127. I still remember that Bubble message that Haechan sent earlier this year that said he woke up without an alarm for the first time he could remember in years. They don't get the luxury of the hiatus that 127 had the first part of 2021 or the break Dream had in the middle of 2021.

• Never understood fans boycotting sth

SM needs to figure out how to promote their groups in a more productive manner

It seems like they do abit of everything and sometimes that doesnt have big impact

The only NCT related boycott that actually worked was the Korean fans boycotting We Are Superhuman. Their sales tanked that year. I don't know that it would be as impactful now that the fandom has grown, but this Chinabar threat won't do anything since there were like 15 Chinabars that boycotted the NCT 2021 comeback and it has still sold almost 2 million copies since December.

• To add to this... Doyoung is a hustler. He's knows the business side of things which is why he keeps getting booked in magazines. He's friends with the managers, he's friends with several seniors in the company, hell he's friends with people his brother knows from the acting side of things... he puts himself out there. That's why everyone gets so pissed at him and tries to make it out like he's somehow undermining the entire group when he's literally putting in the leg work to get booked.

Mark and Haechan are literally working their asses off to just keep up with Dream and 127. I still remember that Bubble message that Haechan sent earlier this year that said he woke up without an alarm for the first time he could remember in years. They don't get the luxury of the hiatus that 127 had the first part of 2021 or the break Dream had in the middle of 2021.

Yes, I've seen an increase of people using him as an escapegoat for their favoritism narratives. The guy does absolutely nothing to warrant so much bitterness towards him.

People love making the unemployment jokes or trending hashtags about their faves sitting around doing nothing but at the end of the day we don't know what they are doing and they don't need to share everything with us if it's not the right time. Fans act like they need to know every move of them or else they are definitely doing nothing with their lives or are being neglected.

• Yes, I've seen an increase of people using him as an escapegoat for their favoritism narratives. The guy does absolutely nothing to warrant so much bitterness towards him.

People love making the unemployment jokes or trending hashtags about their faves sitting around doing nothing but at the end of the day we don't know what they are doing and they don't need to share everything with us if it's not the right time. Fans act like they need to know every move of them or else they are definitely doing nothing with their lives or are being neglected.

It's so crazy because Doyoung is literally the most supportive member.

I saw a really good tweet the other day after Yuta's movie news that basically said manager fans who need to know what their bias is doing every moment of the day only end up sucking all of the fun out of surprises. Just trust them and have faith in them and let them surprise us! It's way more fun that way.

• Don't mistake dream bars for nctzens with actual concerns, these are the same manager fans that send trucks to protest against the award that two of their faves won or that boycotted all the group releases since resonance pt 1. They don't care if 127 or 2021 was underpromoted, they just want their biases to have solo magazines and more YouTube content because they have seen 127 members get that.

Oh I'm very aware of that, C-bars from Dream couldn't care less about NCT as a whole and that truck they sent after NCT 127 won a daesang was embarrasing.

Hey Neo glad to see you back

• My thoughs exactly. These solo fans complain all the time that certain members are the favourites while their biases are mistreated and even talk about human rights... when it's as simple as maybe your bias isn't doing what you want him to do because he doesn't want to and not because the company is holding him back. You can't tell me yuta out of all members is a favorite of SM. Everything he's getting is thanks to him and his networking/self promotions. Same goes for Taeyong and Doyoung. They are working really hard to be active on Bubble and ig for fans, meeting ppl in the industry, doing promotions with brands, making music or covers, auditioning for gigs, etc. If your fav isn't doing so why are you expecting him to suddenly have a solo song or a magazine cover? I'm Jungwoo biased but I know some of his fans crying about his lack of jobs shouldn't be placing all the blame on the company. Why do you want him to be a Dior boy when he just created an instagram and is posting random shoe pics there? Like... Let him do what he wants and accept maybe he isn't ready yet. And not all members want the same things for their careers.

That said, it doesn't mean the company is completly unrelated to their solo jobs, they have proved they can get their rookies important deals like the CF Sungchan got or the multiple shows for Lucas at debut, but most members are already 5+ years on the industry, they aren't going to be treated like rookies forever and it's also part of their job to get themselves out there, because SM clearly isn't going to do it.

I recently had this convo with a friend because due to nct news announcing Kun solo is next, many akgaes were hating on him and even being sinophobic, which is very ignorant and stupid on top of that because they demand their "more popular biases" should get the solo before him, when nct lab is mainly a project where the members work on their own music and if your fav isn't visiting an studio and producing his songs like Kun how soon do u think a solo will come? Instead of hating on other members start demanding more things from your own bias...

• Some fans still call them "children" and infantilize them all the time, so... :S

People want to blame the company over everything when the members should be doing something for themselves too. Being on social media is a huge advantage and does open many doors, but it's not the company's fault if they don't want to be on it.

Even the tweet from the cbar had tons of quotes talking about the company destroying the dreams of their children and how evil SM is towards their precious kids... these fans are stuck at their debut era when in fact the youngest member is already 20+ years old. 127zens and wayv fans can be annoying too but dreamzens extra infantilization of the members is making them the worst kind of manager fans I have seen in ncity.

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!