Do you think it's right for big companies to sue minors? (Poll)

• Go to Best Answer
  • i have conflicting feelings about this. on one hand, suing a minor feels icky to me because if whatever they're talking about is true and they're basically being sued so they're forced to shut up, that's not okay. but on another hand, if the minor is spouting some crazy made up shit to ruin someone else's life, they should still be held accountable for their actions and deal with the consequences

being a minor doesn't mean you never have to face any consequences because you're underage. but a big company using their power and influence to intimidate or manipulate a child is pretty bad. so idk. i think it depends on the situation

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• i feel like sueing is a lot for a kid that can make mistakes, esp like online slandering. but yeah there are some cases i think it needs to be done, though usually it ends up the parents having to be the ones taking responsibilities and that sucks ass.

• Honestly I've seen minors say the most vile stuff online because they feel protected behind being anonymous, and when they get called out they use their age to act as if they shouldn't have consequences for their actions. Lots of people think they wouldn't know better but majority of time they do and people should stop acting like 14 year olds have no responsibility for their actions. The only ones I feel sorry for are the parents because they have to be the ones to pay for their kid's stupidity. Obviously it's different if the child is innocent, but otherwise they should see that actions have consequences from early on.

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• yes because minor can't go to jail

and it's better to teach him a lesson early in life

because in certain circumstances when this minor will grow up, but people would let his mistakes slide then at one point if he got sued and don't have money then he will go to jail

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• YES WITHIN REASON

Anyone who is toxic can and should be taught that it's not ok, no matter their age. A person needs to be held responsible for his or her actions in a manner appropriate to their intent. If they intended to spread toxicity, then yes they should definitely be held accountable for it.

As someone who has been wrongfully sued for defamation at a very young age, I'm not really worried - these kids will win if what they say can be proven. I won and was awarded damages. While I do think it is way too easy for people to sue, if we are talking about comments that ignited the amount of much public backlash against someone as I see from most of these cases we are talking about, they definitely deserve to be held accountable. The real world has consequences - they should learn that NOW.

• yes. i was a minor once but i was never vile. just because you enjoy anonymity doesn't mean you should bully people and spread lies that can ruin their life. sue them, maybe they learn something from it and start respecting others.

i think it's common sense to treat others how you want to be treated.

• I mean yeah, why are you letting your kid go online saying whatever they want unmonitored? Get sued, bozo

this tbh. your kids are probably acting this way because they aren't raised right.

• Young kids shouldn't be online without parental supervision or a sibling or something :pepe-shrug: I think it's neglectful to expect strangers to teach your kids morals and put up with them

absolutely. and for that reason im the one watching over what my younger siblings do on the internet, i wasn't ever watched over like they are so i accidently did a lot of crazy shit because i had no idea what i was doing (obviously not bad enough that a company sues me), but the internet is not a good place for kids period. there's a reason why we have age restrictions

• . . . Yes suing those f*cking kids is always morality correct :pepe-big-brain:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"Out of all the languages he could've spoken, He chose to speak facts"

• Minors are not above the law, but they are not judged/sentenced on the same scale as adults (in sane countries anyway). And in cases like these its the parents that will have to pay up.

Its unfortunate in many cases where something actually did happen, but still you cant just accuse someone for something and potentially ruin their life without having some sort of proof of it.

Edited once, last by Kreatin ().

• I see people commenting that just because someone is a minor doesn't mean they should spread lies that can ruin lives. The problem then becomes how can one be sure that it's truly defamation or if it's companies attempting to silence victims in order to save a career? Because in that case you have powerful companies attempting to silence minors who truly may be victims of school bullying. I'm speaking generally here by the way.

It's a really complicated issue for me to say whether I fully believe it's right or wrong.

• After a certain age, being a minor should not excuse you from consequences of your actions if it's clear that you can tell the difference between right and wrong. People try to use this excuse all the time on Twitter and the fact that they're aware enough to even try this excuse tells you that they absolutely know that they're doing something wrong.

• But the companies dont know if the accuser is a minor?

They sue the anon online accuser, sometimes they are the minor they claim they are, sometimes they are a 40 year old sitting behind their pc who gets a kick out of this.

Based on similar types of defamation cases, it is investigated by police. It is not treated as a civil case where whoever got the best lawyer wins. So the minor getting sued is not completely defenseless.

But I do agree in some cases it could be icky.

• Young kids shouldn't be online without parental supervision or a sibling or something :pepe-shrug: I think it's neglectful to expect strangers to teach your kids morals and put up with them

Idk man

you cant supervise everything 14-18 year olds do online

They do need some privacy from their parents for their online activities

+ I think kids could be affected by so many other factors these days that parents influence is diminishing rapidly

• I agree with the people here who are saying the parents should get sued.

Sure, the kid may be doing bad things that get them be to sued and they should be held accountable. However, it is the parent's duty to teach their kid and monitor their behaviour. So they need to be apart of the lawsuit too.

• I see people commenting that just because someone is a minor doesn't mean they should spread lies that can ruin lives. The problem then becomes how can one be sure that it's truly defamation or if it's companies attempting to silence victims in order to save a career? Because in that case you have powerful companies attempting to silence minors who truly may be victims of school bullying. I'm speaking generally here by the way.

It's a really complicated issue for me to say whether I fully believe it's right or wrong.

Believe me, I was broke when I got sued for defamation. I had to get a lawyer on contingency basis - meaning he would take my case and only be paid if I won, so the lawyer basically had to be completely certain I'd win. But someone like him was out there and as he was completely sure the lawsuit was frivolous (trying to silence me by using $$$), he took the case. We won. He got paid when we won.

If they can prove that these companies are trying to bully them into silence, they have nothing to fear.

• If it’s something that could ruin someone’s life then yes. No one cares that minors are spreading rumors to ruin people’s career until they find out it’s a minor. If it’s something small then no.

Side note how much do minors get sued for?

• Idk man

you cant supervise everything 14-18 year olds do online

They do need some privacy from their parents for their online activities

+ I think kids could be affected by so many other factors these days that parents influence is diminishing rapidly

There are more software and ways you can supervise your kid online coming out all the time, I think google now has something like that. Besides, internet safety for children has been a huge discussion. They may not work for supervising everything but they're a step in the right direction.

The last sentence is true though. Obviously, not everything is in the parent's control.

• If it’s something that could ruin someone’s life then yes. No one cares that minors are spreading rumors to ruin people’s career until they find out it’s a minor. If it’s something small then no.

Side note how much do minors get sued for?

Thats the thing from what I read on other defamation cases its treated like a criminal case not a civil case.

No one wins money, but if the verdicts goes against someone they will get probation and a criminal record.

• If they can't find the identity of the person, they can't actually sue them. So yes, they have to figure out who the person is, then appropriately sure. If it is minor, their parents MUST be involved and they have to take responsibility for their children's actions.

I'm not 100% certain about Korea but I had been sued before and additionally, my sister is a lawyer in this field so it would happen as I outline above in the US. The age of the minor does matter. Only minors 12 years of age or older can be held personally liable in the US (and even then, still with their parent's knowledge) and the crimes they can be held liable for is a much smaller list than that of an adult. It usually has to include grievous harm to someone else to even be considered when it comes to a minor.

• There are more software and ways you can supervise your kid online coming out all the time, I think google now has something like that. Besides, internet safety for children has been a huge discussion. They may not work for supervising everything but they're a step in the right direction.

The last sentence is true though. Obviously, not everything is in the parent's control.

I mean you can supervise your kid to make sure they are not taken advantage of online

You cant supervise them to the point you can catch them shit posting online

Alot of these false exposes are essentially just shit posting online

As a parent if my kid gets sued in these cases, the first thing I worry about it is if they were really a victim of bullying. If they have a good account of someone bullying them, I wont worry about them posting about it online. I would fucking go after the person who bullied my kid and bleed them dry. If they confess they made it up, I would contact the company and make a deal with them with my kid apologizing and taking the statement back.

• Thats the thing from what I read on other defamation cases its treated like a criminal case not a civil case.

No one wins money, but if the verdicts goes against someone they will get probation and a criminal record.

Nope, defamation is a civil case. It can be sued in criminal cases, but by itself, defamation is considered a civil matter at least the the USA.

• As a parent if my kid gets sued in these cases, the first thing I worry about it is if they were really a victim of bullying. If they have a good account of someone bullying them, I wont worry about them posting about it online. I would fucking go after the person who bullied my kid and bleed them dry. If they confess they made it up, I would contact the company and make a deal with them with my kid apologizing and taking the statement back.

This is exactly what I did, but I was 21. Made them eat dirt after I won - company ended up dissolving too after all that. So satisfying.

• Nope, defamation is a civil case. It can be sued in criminal cases, but by itself, defamation is considered a civil matter at least the the USA.

I know thats the case in US, but if you read on Cube suing for Sojin and JYP for Lia, it reads like a criminal case.

The cops were investigating the cases, which is not what happens in the civil cases.

Another point was that they were investigating to the point beyond reasonable doubt. Which again is not much of a civil case.

I may be wrong

• This thread contains 27 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!