RE: Why do you think people glorify unstanning BTS so much ?

• this was already answered somewhat in the thread but i saw an answer that i didn't necessarily agree with and i feel the need to break it down so people don't do what people usually do on here: which is taking everything as fact.

mostly everyone else in the thread that i've seen so far is getting it. (this could go south though)

and this is no offense to the person who said this, but you're wrong.

i really hate the narrative that Armys are insane, spineless, fans. and everytime we try to defend ourselves (such as right now), we'll be accused of "doing too much" and being "crazy". well so be it.

~~~

"cause whenever someone says they dont like bts anymore their fans all act personally attacked and make a big deal out of it"->

some do, but honestly most don't really care. here's the issue: during the more recent comebacks, "Armys" would jump to twitter with their dramatic ass "I left the Magic Shop :pleading: " posts. and you know what? after a while, that really gets old. because no one sane really cares if one or five or a hundred or even a thousand people unstan.

"there's many people who will say they dont consume X product anymore because of drop in quality or satisfaction and the general reaction is, i see your point, you do you"->

the implication that there's been a drop in quality of their music is slightly offensive imo, but hey, you have your opinion, i have mine. as long as you're not hateful, i really don't care!

"even in kpop you can say about a lot of groups whose music you used to like but dont anymore so you unstanned

most people will respect your opinion"->

this is common sense and a lot of armys do this as long as people are being respectful about it.

"but you say that about BTS and their fans will go batshit crazy"->

a good portion of them really don't care.

"at their core they are extremely insecure and live through the validation their idols get"->

no point arguing this bc this can be said about a portion any fanbase, which, by the way, aren't monoliths. if you assume this about all the millions of fans BTS has, that's your own faulty logic.

"so their reaction is what blows up these statements, not the statements themselves cause they are perfectly reasonable statements that everyone makes about something or the other through their life"->

as i said before, no one really gives a fuck if some rando on twitter unstans bts. the issue lies in this repeated activity and those posts becoming a "flex" (as people stated in the thread) and people thinking it's cool, edgy, and unique to bash and unstan bts. it is not cool, edgy, or unique.

when you make an argument that can be broken down by logic, it is not a good argument. it is a bad argument.

great answers:

"unstanning a really popular artist makes them edgy"

"They get brownie points and likes from the kpop community. Everyone likes attention and that's the best way to get it."

"Because people take being able to get out of the herd as some display of superiority or somethig like that. And because for their fans, someone unstanning their faves, especially if they are at the top, it's unthinkable. And the rest take it as a sign that the group is losing popularity as fans are leaving.

People who glorify unstanning an artist, do it for attention or to be recognized for standing for themselves and being able to not go with the crowd just because.

Most people simply unfollow because they are no longer interested, but they don't make a big deal about it."

and ykw? they're right. BTS is the only group i've seen where you can unstan and it's met with praise and approval.

you know what normal people do when they stop listening to any group or artist ever?

they just stop.

no need to make a big show of it.

you just quietly unstan.

but now people need to voice that they have unstanned (as if it makes a difference) and it pollutes genuine conversation about the music and the boys (don't expect any good conversation on here or twitter about anything at all).

and to the people complaining about how the fandom and this platform used to be nicer: that can be said about literally anything. the evolution of the internet is bringing out the worst in people. no one has fundamentally changed, people just feel more comfortable saying shit they couldn't before. this will only get worse.

aware i just wasted a bit of my time but this had to be said.

Edited 3 times, last by FeLiNa ().

• Go to Best Answer
    • Best Answer

For big fandoms and BTS especially the common narrative is that stans of this group are brainwashed, mindless idiots, therefore unstanning makes you a survivor that finally got the brain that the wizard of Oz promised the Tin Man, saw the light and are saved from eternal damnation. That about sums it up.

• FeLiNa

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • This is too long for my braincells :cursing:

Ves' answer sums it up:

For big fandoms and BTS especially the common narrative is that stans of this group are brainwashed, mindless idiots, therefore unstanning makes you a survivor that finally got the brain that the wizard of Oz promised the Tin Man, saw the light and are saved from eternal damnation. That about sums it up.

• For big fandoms and BTS especially the common narrative is that stans of this group are brainwashed, mindless idiots, therefore unstanning makes you a survivor that finally got the brain that the wizard of Oz promised the Tin Man, saw the light and are saved from eternal damnation. That about sums it up.

This is so true. There are users on akp who've said these things. And now they are on a mission to unhbrainwash the others :pepe-tongue:

• The fandom thing is true to a certain extent. I found the comment weird too btw but Just another example because people think k-pop fans are the only weirdos.

I followed Rick and Morty with my sister and we both and many other fans believed that the quality of the recent season had gone down by quite a lot.

I was an active lurker on the Rick and Morty reddit sub and they had weekly discussion posts for the episodes. Under those people were always arguing and asking people with negative opinions to shut up because they get it some don't enjoy the show anymore but that doesn't mean they keep bringing it up everyday. Then people fought back saying sorry they are not mindless fans like others....It was quite hilarious ^^

Reminded me of fights with kpop stans ^^

• yep. have seen it with BP too. it's ugly behavior.

cue those "I UNSTANNED BP AND WHY YOU SHOULD TOO!" videos.

Honestly though, I don't get why some kpop fans love to announce how they unstanned BTS, Blackpink, or any popular kpop group for the matter. I think BTS and Blackpink are the main victims since they are the most popular, more popular=more hate.

Not only that, the more popular the group is, the more support you get. There is a reason why those "I unstanned bp/bts" videos have so many comments that support them.

I have unstanned a good amount of groups but I don't go around tweeting "I LEFT THE MAGIC SHOP" everytime that group has a comeback. I just move on. Unstanning a group is normal, but blabbing about it every time you can is not.

• The fandom thing is true to a certain extent. I found the comment weird too btw but Just another example because people think k-pop fans are the only weirdos.

I followed Rick and Morty with my sister and we both and many other fans believed that the quality of the recent season had gone down by quite a lot.

I was an active lurker on the Rick and Morty reddit sub and they had weekly discussion posts for the episodes. Under those people were always arguing and asking people with negative opinions to shut up because they get it some don't enjoy the show anymore but that doesn't mean they keep bringing it up everyday. Then people fought back saying sorry they are not mindless fans like others....It was quite hilarious ^^

Reminded me of fights with kpop stans ^^

this has been the same thing but with Euphoria too. the first season was praised to high heavens, and because people didn't like the storyline of this season, it's getting bashed and being called "mid"

source: i lurked on the subreddit and on twt

• I was coming to create a reply thread to this too. It’s obviously the BTS and army validation kpoppies wanna have so bad. Like it’s really bad honestly, especially on twt. There is so much clout given to a tweet by an ex army talking about how they unstan BTS than any other user switching groups.

Imo there’s a hidden inferiority complex these kpoppies have for their own faves that they will never admit to but as always, actions speak louder than words

I guess everything still boils down to the narrative, “I’m edgy for not liking popular things”

• If people want to announce that they unstanned, why not.

Perhaps they just needed to get it out of their system, perhaps they aren't as over the group as they think. Maybe they'll even feel embarrassed by their own "I unstanned" thread a couple of days later, because the few I've seen were a bit midlife-crisisey... (is that a word? Probably not).

Just don't expect me to read it if it's a huge wall text.

:pepe-shrug:

• Anyone who says something like "I've left the magic shop" unironically is so cringey I can't be bothered to read the rest of their post. Those "ex armys" lmao are clearly doing it for clout and to be validated by others.

Also @ superyeah's post above I can't quote atm, my answer to the generalisations bit is if it doesn't apply to why are you so offended. And if you are offended then maybe it does apply to you.

Especially fandom things. My fandoms don't represent me and I don't represent them. If it doesn't apply to me then I move on :pepe-hips:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!