Came across this tweet, What are your thoughts on it?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It triggered my senses to think about this deeply.

I think different people have different preferences. That's what I get from this tweet.

Also, These days, I have been reading a lot of lyrics, I don't know why, guess something triggered my senses again.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• i'm tired of these elitists lmao, we're all kpop stans here, sit down

ad11ae11545c4b3eb5805a7ca39e8142ff38948a.gifvab99d7e017ed0eea8ec207a6947f397b83c72db7.gifv57fd3a357756b7d61797af68f7a3247c55a15e4b.gifvb8a3784d7d06f39831a2371942429ffec7c00416.gifvcc43450dc4b9751b6bbff4f0e97fb2f3feb6cf5c.gifv

𝘆𝘂𝗾𝗶 ♡ 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗼 ♡ 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝗷𝗶𝗻

• She’s right, kpoppies always dragging BTS about their lyrics but don’t pay attention to their favs own. Most Kpop lyrics from Pop to Rap be horrible but kpop fans will still bop to them.

• If I like the music I like that's so simple, I read the lyrics to understand the context, good lyrics is a bonus

If I don't like the music lyrics can't save it

And sorry but it's kinda funny how people act like kpop lyrics can solve the mystery of life, spread awareness and bring peace to the world. It's not that deep, there is a whole world out there

:pepe-life-support:

Good for you if you can relate and find comfort. Bc I do too... Sometimes I don''t even need to read lyrics, isn't music this?

• Pretentious

I wouldnt say so its okay if lyrics dont hold importance to you but to others it does

take for an example bts i like looking up translations of their songs. all the wordplay they use is fun to read about a lot of of their songs r also very storylike and are relatable too

some people like knowing the essence and meaning behind a song

• I always check the lyrics of any song I like because I want to know what it talks about.

The extra advantage with kpop songs is that it helps me learn new words.

I find it extremely weird that people don't care but I guess to each their own.

• I wouldnt say so its okay if lyrics dont hold importance to you but to others it does

take for an example bts i like looking up translations of their songs. all the wordplay they use is fun to read about a lot of of their songs r also very storylike and are relatable too

there is absolutely nothing pretentious about looking for the lyrics for a song especially if its in a foreign language

no one is saying that looking up lyrics is pretentious but shaming others for not looking up is pretentious lmaoo

ad11ae11545c4b3eb5805a7ca39e8142ff38948a.gifvab99d7e017ed0eea8ec207a6947f397b83c72db7.gifv57fd3a357756b7d61797af68f7a3247c55a15e4b.gifvb8a3784d7d06f39831a2371942429ffec7c00416.gifvcc43450dc4b9751b6bbff4f0e97fb2f3feb6cf5c.gifv

𝘆𝘂𝗾𝗶 ♡ 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗼 ♡ 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝗷𝗶𝗻

• I don’t have Google translate running through my head when I listen to song so like even if I read lyrics it doesn’t really matter lol.

Kpop stans are just saying this to feel holier than thou.

If you cared about lyrics that much it’s not kpop you’d be listening to in the first place.

Sure some lyrics moved you but I don’t think it’s in the context of music. You READ a story separate to the music and enjoyed it.

I don’t see lyrics translation as part of the music experience.

• kpop fans: MY FaVES ARE BETTER THEY SERVE IN THE MILITARY/ MY FAVES ARE THE AMBASSADOR FOR 12566 LUXURY BRANDS/ MY FAVES WERE SENT AS A GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVES TO N. KOREA/ MY FAVES DONT GO NO MORE TO KOREAN SHOWS BECAUSE THEY ARE FAR BETTER / MY FAVES HAVE 12345677 SCANDALS BUT THEY ARE STILL RELEVANT AND TOPPING THE CHARTS ...................

an army: proud of reading the lyrics for bts songs and them having beautiful meanings

same kpop fans: you are weird , losers, dont have friends and dont know how to shake your ass hhhh

• kpop fans: MY FaVES ARE BETTER THEY SERVE IN THE MILITARY/ MY FAVES ARE THE AMBASSADOR FOR 12566 LUXURY BRANDS/ MY FAVES WERE SENT AS A GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVES TO N. KOREA/ MY FAVES DONT GO NO MORE TO KOREAN SHOWS BECAUSE THEY ARE FAR BETTER / MY FAVES HAVE 12345677 SCANDALS BUT THEY ARE STILL RELEVANT AND TOPPING THE CHARTS ...................

an army: proud of reading the lyrics for bts songs and them having beautiful meanings

same kpop fans: you are weird , losers, dont have friends and dont know how to shake your ass hhhh

She could've been proud without attacking people who don't read lyrics

No one said those things were part of music tho. Can you perhaps not see the original tweet or is it comprehension you lack? You can like anything but you have to be ready to take backlash if you try to say pretentious stuff like OP. lol.

• Pop song lyric usually dont make sense anyway. Its not like it have heavy topic or anything.It always about love, love and love.

I usually listen to the song first. 2nd listen i read the lyric. And forget it afterward. But if the song have heavy deep meaningful lyric.I will probably like it even more. Still im not korean so my interpertation will be different anyway lol

• this reads so weird as someone who consumned mostly english music growing up while not knowing english... good lyrics are a nice bonus, but ultimately not the main source of enjoyement for about 90% of listeners. this is music, not spoken word.

• I get that they are just another kpop fan. Just like some people like vocals more and brag about them and drag others who don't, some like lyrics more and brag about them and drag others who don't. Same can be said for every other thing in kpop like rapping, dancing, "visuals", etc.

All kpop fans like to do is drag others for not liking the things that they like and nothing else. They cannot enjoy their faves music without dragging other groups or their fans.

• I wouldnt say so its okay if lyrics dont hold importance to you but to others it does

there is absolutely nothing pretentious about looking for the lyrics for a song especially if its in a foreign language

Definitely

But the tone of the tweet is pretentious.

I personally think translations are an unreliable way to interpret lyrics. You can get a general idea of the topic of the songs, even the wordplay and puns but there's only too much translations can do to transfer the nuances that make the difference between a regular text and a song or poetry in general. Besides, translations depend on the translator's own interpretation and feelings so you end up connecting to that instead of the actual song which you might interpret differently if you could understand the lyrics first hand.

So, there's nothing wrong in liking kpop without caring for the lyrics and pretending otherwise is pretentious.

cringe

• I get that they are just another kpop fan. Just like some people like vocals more and brag about them and drag others who don't, some like lyrics more and brag about them and drag others who don't. Same can be said for every other thing in kpop like rapping, dancing, "visuals", etc.

All kpop fans like to do is drag others for not liking the things that they like and nothing else. They cannot enjoy their faves music without dragging other groups or their fans.

Lol I was going to say the same thing. BTS themselves focus and put effort into lyrics everytime they tell us about songs so it's clearly important to them thus it became important to fans too.

• Despite the way its worded, which is very normal way to express yourself in twitter, I agree with this.

Many idol group songs have beautiful lyrics, and some idioms/phrases are expressed very beautifully in Korean as opposed to English.

Its the same as English songs for example, if you find the lyrics relatable you like the song even more.

I can't imagine somebody listening to kpop for more than a year without at least picking up some phrases and words, and understanding some words without translations.

And the melodies and feelings when they sing surely hits different than just reading a text.

Its true, you don't have to read the lyrics every time you listen, some songs are made with fun lyrics just for fun.

Lyricism is also an art, while you may not understand it if its in an unknown language, you have to respect it at least, they do spend many weeks writing them.

For some, its their way of expressing themselves.

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• Why are people dividing it on lyrics stans/visual stans lmao it's almost like music is the actual main one. Lyrics are a plus just like visuals don't get the elitism of some. I would never stan a group just for any of those 2.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• I find it interesting how those who keep screaming from the rooftops about the importance of vocals are dismissing lyricism so easily....hmmm. So ranting on and on about vocals is not pretentious but caring about the meaning behind a song is. Nice.

For me personally a song consists of music, lyrics and vocal/rapping ability. The reason I stan my faves is cause their songs have a balance of all three.

• daniel-cruz

A tweet from the same person

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This account is super into BTS' lyrics so they tweet about it a lot

They still think it was a part of their whole package

And the rest of the thread of the tweet you posted

External Content twitter.com

Some fans shame BTS fans for talking about this stuff, and make fun of BTS for talking about mental health and not having enough "ass-shaking" songs like other groups

Just to give you the other side of the picture

This is like saying if you cared about vocals so much, it's not kpop you'd be listening to

It does depend on the artist

I don't think they are a kpop fan as a whole anyway

• I find it interesting how those who keep screaming from the rooftops about the importance of vocals are dismissing lyricism so easily....hmmm. So ranting on and on about vocals is not pretentious but caring about the meaning behind a song is. Nice.

For me personally a song consists of music, lyrics and vocal/rapping ability. The reason I stan my faves is cause their songs have a balance of all three.

I enjoy and feel vocals while listening to the music anytime, I don't need the interference of a middle man to explain it to me.

Meanwhile, you'll have to hold a sheet with the lyrics, their subtext, nuances and wordplay written down and explained in detail in front of your face everytime you listen to a song to be able to connect to the lyrics. That's simply unrealistic.

Understanding the general meaning of a song is not all there's to lyrics.

• This is just another "My faves lyrics are so meaningful" flex. Of course it's not really a flex because you're listening to K-Pop. This is an entirely online thing, I don't think even the bluest haired stan would dare talk about meaningful K-Pop lyrics in real life with a non stan - particularly if they can't even repeat them...

If you were all about deep meanings you'd be reading poetry and playing Leonard Cohen.

• This thread contains 33 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!