where did sm go wrong with superm's one (monster & infinity)?

• one (monster + infinity) and sherlock (clue + note) are both made up of two other songs that were remixed together. however, there's a difference in the two.

clue and note both contribute a lot to sherlock. note consists of the chorus, verses and the outro, while clue has the intro, verses, and bassline. the instrumentals somehow, each song works well independently, while creating a masterpiece that flows so seamlessly together that you can't tell you're listening to two different songs. plus, there are no filler parts. every part of each song sounds like it belongs in sherlock (clue + note). the shinee world iv remix is a perfect manifestation of this idea.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

monster and infinity don't do this. one is almost identical to monster when it comes to the instrumental and verses, but the chorus of monster doesn't show up in one at all. it almost feels like it was just shoehorned in in order to make a complete song. infinity is just.... a completely different song from one. the chorus is the same, but the rest of it, down to the instrumental, doesn't contribute anything. one (monster & infinity) is a good enough song. it's enjoyable to listen to. but it seems like a gimmick. somehow, monster and infinity sound too empty, while one sounds too cluttered and disjointed. it feels like puzzle pieces that are nearly touching, but don't fit together.

i would have preferred if superm released one by itself, not with monster and infinity as practically filler songs. so what went wrong? was sm just too bold for trying to recreate one of the most incredible and iconic songs in the history of kpop? was any song that attempted to follow up sherlock (clue + note) destined to fail? since this is my opinion from listening to them and you may feel differently, what are your thoughts about these songs?

discuss :whatb:

• I would not say they failed as they still were highly sold however I think they rushed out the SuperM concept as a whole and had basically no build to it so many of us even if we like the songs, felt it was SM trying to make a quick and sudden cash grab. Rather than making an epic group for the fans like they promoted it as.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• I would not say they failed as they still were highly sold however I think they rushed out the SuperM concept as a whole and had basically no build to it so many of us even if we like the songs, felt it was SM trying to make a quick and sudden cash grab. Rather than making an epic group for the fans like they promoted it as.

im not talking about superm as a whole lol. read the post.

• im not talking about superm as a whole lol. read the post.

Oh sorry I was trying to say I am not sure they failed as in reference to the song itself and that many of us fans look at it in an odd way due to how the group was promoted. The song is very listenable, dare I say a bop but due to how the group was slopped together many people have overlooked their B-Sides and even forgotten a few of the singles already.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!