Is it not good for a group to only have international popularity especially after disbanded.

• Most companies only focus on popularity at the international level and ignore the local market, especially boy groups now. But, is this good for their career especially after being disbanded? Wouldn’t after that most of them go back and focus on the local market? Without being known among the gp, it will be harder for them to get cf and brand deals as it is targeting the local people and need familiar faces as the brand ambassador or good acting deals especially if they're older. While at the international level, only their fans who know them as most of the new groups now are not like Bts, Bp, Exo, Twice even Got7 who are known even by the non kpop fans. Which it is difficult to even get deals for the outside as they're not very known too among the public. Having a decent popularity locally at least gives them more career opportunities after being disbanded and what most company do now only give benefits to them not their artists. What's your opinion?

• True.

Only international with no decent sized Korean fanbase/GP means likely poor career longevity and they cannot exist outside the group...... not sure anything can be done about this though since there seems to be very little interest in 4th gen boy groups among casuals/general public

• true, local market is important but in order to maintain international popularity you need to be at least recognized in your home country. Once your group disbands even international fans will lose interest and you won't be able to make it if the general public doesn't know who you are.

• For 500th time... Korean variety shows are not interested in current idols. There are only a handful of television variety shows that book idols regularly, one of which is Amazing Saturday which only has two guests a week which means no full groups can go.

• For 500th time... Korean variety shows are not interested in current idols. There are only a handful of television variety shows that book idols regularly, one of which is Amazing Saturday which only has two guests a week which means no full groups can go.

I guess if like that, it still a lose to all these current groups. If they don't even have chance now at the peak of their careers, it just show what will happen when they're not on the top anymore.

• Boygroups don't ignore the local marketing, they are the ones ignored in the first place and don't get a chance at all. So they have to go where they can be profitable. It's easy to say what they have to do, but in practice the doors aren't open.

I'm pretty sure every company would like their acts to popular both domestically and internationally.

Things not happen just like that. I guess at the beginning of the fourth gen, their songs not really what gp like and all company really eager to chase the international popularity. While at the same time gp just lost their interest and not giving any chance anymore even when I noticed now many of bg songs are what gp used to liked.

• Things not happen just like that. I guess at the beginning of the fourth gen, their songs not really what gp like and all company really eager to chase the international popularity. While at the same time gp just lost their interest and not giving any chance anymore even when I noticed now many of bg songs are what gp used to liked.

Personally, I don't even know If there's really a formula of what GP will like everytime.

• Things not happen just like that. I guess at the beginning of the fourth gen, their songs not really what gp like and all company really eager to chase the international popularity. While at the same time gp just lost their interest and not giving any chance anymore even when I noticed now many of bg songs are what gp used to liked.

I've given this some thought over the years. I don't think it has anything to do with songs/"GP friendly" sound - The Korean public/non stans don't care for boy groups....

Aespa were able to hit big with next level and savage - A supposedly non "GP friendly" sound - NCT have been pushing that same sound for years without the same results...

Perhaps it has something to do with how boy group fans tend to pick one group and only listen to that like they are in some kind of cult whereas people who listen to girl groups aren't as "tribalistic" perhaps... There's room for at least. 10 top girl groups whereas boy group stans treat it like a zero sum game

• i think if grps do international cfs rn they might be able to get international cfs after going solo too

It depends on how popular they're as individual and among the non fans. No international brands want non familiar faces as their brand ambassador.

• I've given this some thought over the years. I don't think it has anything to do with songs/"GP friendly" sound - The Korean public/non stans don't care for boy groups....

Aespa were able to hit big with next level and savage - A supposedly non "GP friendly" sound - NCT have been pushing that same sound for years without the same results...

Perhaps it has something to do with how boy group fans tend to pick one group and only listen to that like they are in some kind of cult whereas people who listen to girl groups aren't as "tribalistic" perhaps... There's room for at least. 10 top girl groups whereas boy group stans treat it like a zero sum game

nct don't really have same sound as Next Level unless i missed some title tracks, Next Level only had a genre switch, in rest was a normal catchy song, even the switch was fine. NCT tend to get loud songs with/or weird instrumental.

either way NCT likely won't have big public recognition with their concept, their chance to get a big hit is a viral song.

• I won't be so sure of that. Some people shine when they are solo. We will never know the future. That's why it's useless to be worried :wellr:

Errr... if they do their solo now they probably got that chance, not after the disbandment when they get older and the hype is not the same anymore.

• korean audience is really demanding, they are not interested in idols also, so if the group has the gp favor, they are automatically impactful. as a longtime kpop fan myself..the thing with 4th gen bgs is that they just make crap music. I am not able to listen to them and "maniac" made me 100% sure about it. if 90% of kpop only want to have a catchy chorus for tik tok, what do we expect? to hit intl the company has to offer a member, usually a rapper, the "i'm a bad bibi" line and go with expensive and bossy vibe for mv, powerful, bad b anthem, self-love and here you go lmao. "next level" was the greatest success of aespa because people felt empowered by lyrics, blackpink, itzy, ive and more. people have to identify with mood of the song and they will buy it. the gp, however, pays attention to the production method and how the vocal of the members/soloist are used. because gp chooses idols to represent the country actually.

This because new generation don't really watch old media like TV.

• Nope. I'm talking about them going solo after the group disbanded. just because the group disbanded doesn't mean they can't have second chance in entertainment industry.

For popular groups especially, their peak always with their own group. I mean, can you name any popular group that the members doing better than their own group as soloist after the disbandment? And you need to understand, it is harder to get second chance when they are not even known by the public and gp which this is the topic of this thread.

• Agree

International success give people no recognition, no longevity in their career

Every people know things that everyone doing not so bad internationally are going to have a huge career like bp and bts but forget that bts and bp were able to conquer the international market once they were able to catch the koreans market and didn't have anything more to do in korea

Their success internationally then was just the consequence of their success in korea

But people can't understand this and think that a group can be huge without even being recognize in their own home country

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• Agree with this.

• I also wonder how long the "international" kpop bubble will last before the majority move on... It does not seem like a solid foundation on which to base career longevity off of for individual members of these groups.

I hate to mention examples but I think the popular members of the boyz for instance are probably in a better position long term wise than members of some more internationally successful 4th gen BGs because they have a sizeable Korean fanbase.

• I also wonder how long the "international" kpop bubble will last before the majority move on... It does not seem like a solid foundation on which to base career longevity off of for individual members of these groups.

I hate to mention examples but I think the popular members of the boyz for instance are probably in a better position long term wise than members of some more internationally successful 4th gen BGs because they have a sizeable Korean fanbase.

Yup! And international success for most groups for now is not stable at all as all of them are only depends on their fanbase with no public recognition in other countries too like what 3rd gen used to have. They have no clear market to dominate for their solo careers.

• I guess the issue is one doesn't debut with the intent to only focus on one market right?

the market dictates who they like and not like and sometimes it works out that one market prefers the group over another

• Public recognition (Korean GP) has always been the most beneficial for idol groups. Plenty of options when a group disbands and you will always have CF opportunities. You can go acting, variety, radio shows, hosting, modelling, etc. These options aren't always gonna be there if only your international fans know who you are

• I need to know which artists are you talking about because the Chinese idols go to their country and have a huge success in china.

Even the onces who have are more international appeal will do well in Korea because they will bring high engagements to those brands, I don’t see them appearing them in dramas or whatever but they can bag few cfs

• Domestic is more important yes, if the companies want their idols to have a long career and make money as individuals after their group disbands they should pay more attention to their korean public. It doesn't matter if they don't get the same relevancy as girlgroups or become as known as cha eun woo, but having a bit more of presence there would help a lot with their future careers. Take monsta x or got7 members as example, they don't have the international numbers that 4th gen bgs have or big hits but they promoted a lot in korea and were able to build a decent fanbase there + get to be known by the media, now all the members are employed and have a stable future as actors, soloists, mcs, varieties guests, etc

Like someone mentioned, it's very safe to say tbz or txt members would have a more stable career than their peers because their kfandom is big enough to support them despite not being top artists there. Most of Wanna one solos and even Jinhyuk from produce x1 are able to make money without a popular group or million sellers/Spotify streams because they are mainly supported by kfans. These fans pay a lot to go their events, buy the products they endorse, ask stations to play their songs, etc.

Ifans (not cfans and jfans) are less loyal and will jump from their favorite group to the newest one from the same company or wtv survival show is airing on mnet. Trusting on them for a future career is a big gamble if you don't have a stable kfandom as back up.

• I need to know which artists are you talking about because the Chinese idols go to their country and have a huge success in china.

Even the onces who have are more international appeal will do well in Korea because they will bring high engagements to those brands, I don’t see them appearing them in dramas or whatever but they can bag few cfs

4th gen male idols probably, I don't think brands will contact them once their group disbands. As group yes these groups are attractive due to the money their fandom will bring but once enlistment time hits and they disband , very few of the members will be able to maintain at least half of the popularity they had as part of the group. With zero popularity in korea and ifanbase jumping to newer bgs, what's left for them?

• For popular groups especially, their peak always with their own group. I mean, can you name any popular group that the members doing better than their own group as soloist after the disbandment? And you need to understand, it is harder to get second chance when they are not even known by the public and gp which this is the topic of this thread.

2PM Junho, Wonder Girls Sunmi. Because I was a kpop fans when 2 gen still active, i can confidently said that you would never know the future. Junho was the least famous 2PM member but look at him, he's more famous than Nickhun and Taecyeon in Korea now.There's a lot actually, and recently, there's an idol that became famous too. He's from KNK but I forgot his name.

• Most companies only focus on popularity at the international level and ignore the local market, especially boy groups now. But, is this good for their career especially after being disbanded? Wouldn’t after that most of them go back and focus on the local market? Without being known among the gp, it will be harder for them to get cf and brand deals as it is targeting the local people and need familiar faces as the brand ambassador or good acting deals especially if they're older. While at the international level, only their fans who know them as most of the new groups now are not like Bts, Bp, Exo, Twice even Got7 who are known even by the non kpop fans. Which it is difficult to even get deals for the outside as they're not very known too among the public. Having a decent popularity locally at least gives them more career opportunities after being disbanded and what most company do now only give benefits to them not their artists. What's your opinion?

Having only an international fanbase is a big no no for any groups looking for longevity because we all know kpop fans have adhd and move onto the next thing fast especially if they can’t be as privileged getting the free constant content they were when the group was active. As much as fans believe the Korean market is neglect able and korean fans are “ungrateful”, it’s the one where their favs will receive the most stable support after retiring. I think this why almost all of them try to get into the acting field before their group disbands to get the gp’s attention and the perks that come with it (cf deals) lol. Starring in a hit drama or movie always gets the job done. Problem is, not all of them can do that leaving us back at square one.

• 2PM Junho, Wonder Girls Sunmi. Because I was a kpop fans when 2 gen still active, i can confidently said that you would never know the future. Junho was the least famous 2PM member but look at him, he's more famous than Nickhun and Taecyeon in Korea now.There's a lot actually, and recently, there's an idol that became famous too. He's from KNK but I forgot his name.

This thread is about the not popular groups among the gp and both example you give are from the groups that already popular in Korea and among the locals. Other than that, junho land a good role in his acting career when he is still in 2pm and that's exactly what this thread is about. Sunmi still peak with her group, and she sell better in wonder girls too compare to her as soloist. And I specifically said groups that have international fanbase only, lol.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!