What do you think about HYBE, Formerly Big Hit Entertainment, Merges With Scooter Braun’s Ithaca Holdings Bringing Together BTS, Justin Bieber, Big Machine (EXCLUSIVE)?

• Edit: Variety article

HYBE, the company known as Big Hit Entertainment which is home to BTS, the South Korean pop group, has merged with Ithaca Holdings, the company led by SB Projects founder Scooter Braun. In the deal, HYBE will acquire through its HYBE America, its wholly owned subsidiary, a 100% stake in Ithaca Holdings and its properties, which includes SB Projects, whose management clients include Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and Demi Lovato, among others, as well as Big Machine Label Group.

In aligning the two entities, the newly combined HYBE is poised to be among the biggest entertainment companies with a music focus operating on a global scale. BTS and Bieber alone bring dedicated fanbases numbering in the hundreds of millions, while Ariana Grande recently surpassed 90 billion streams consumed worldwide, the most ever by a female artist — these accolades in addition to recent Grammy wins for Dan + Shay and Bieber for the song “10,000 Hours.” In what has been an especially busy month for SBP, today (April 2) also marks the release of Demi Lovato’s latest album, “Dancing With the Devil: The Art of Starting Over.” It arrives on the heels of a YouTube Originals docu-series.

Braun will join the board of HYBE and Scott Borchetta will remain CEO of Big Machine Label Group. Artists of both companies will participate in the capital increase of HYBE, to further strengthen the ties between the two companies.

Said HYBE chairman and CEO Bang Si-Hyuk: “The inevitable joining of HYBE and Ithaca Holdings marks the start of a new adventure no one could have possibly imagined.

The two companies will work closely together leveraging our proven track records of success, know – how, and expertise to create synergy, transcend borders and break down cultural barriers. Please look forward to the endless possibilities of HYBE and Ithaca Holdings, and the new paradigm the partnership will establish in the music industry.”

Added Braun: “This will be the first time HYBE’s groundbreaking systems and curation will be integrated in the U.S. market at the onset of an artist’s career. Plus, it will help us to continue to further the careers of the artists we already work with. Global opportunities for artists become exponential with this partnership. This is an opportuni ty for us to make history and further innovate the music industry and revolutionize the game itself. Its implications for the business will be monumentous for a long time to come. I am incredibly grateful for Chairman Bang’s friendship and his willingness to support the creative journey of an artist.”

“For 15 years, I have worked alongside Scooter helping him build a best-in-class entertainment company and phenomenal team of which we are both immensely proud,” said Allison Kaye, partner at Ithaca Holdings and president of SB Projects. “We have launched amazing careers and brands and released incredible content into the world. We are ecstatic to have this new opportunity to partner with Chairman Bang and Big Hit to further the global reach of both companies and the artists with whom we have the privilege of working as we continue to grow our company and their careers across entertainment, technology, commerce and content. Thank you to Scooter, Chairman Bang and everyone involved – we are beyond grateful for the opportunity”.

Added Jen McDaniels, GM, SB Projects: “After many years working independently, I decided to join the SB projects family, not only because of my long standing relationships with Scooter and Allison or their success but for the commitment and dedication they’ve shown to their artists. I feel so fortunate that after three years with this company, we have found a partner across the world who shares those same values. This is such a unique and fortuitous joining of forces, I really cannot express how excited I am for what the future holds.”

Big Hit’s name change to Hybe was to be addressed at a general shareholders meeting on March 30. The impetus for the change reportedly stems from the Korea Exchange-listed company’s desire to position itself as a company that has expanded beyond mere artist management to realize its ambitions of becoming a more comprehensive lifestyle platform. Korean reports state that Big Hit plans to branch out from music production, distribution, artist management, live performance management, internet tech and e-commerce to become more involved in areas such as travel, real estate, and other types of communications.

Founded in 2005, Big Hit started as an underdog firm in Korea’s pop music world, where three major talent management firms dominated K-pop. Its status changed, however, as its boy band BTS rocketed to stardom. Big Hit continues to rely on the boy band for the majority of its revenue.

The company went public in October with a $820 million offering that was South Korea’s largest in three years. Despite the initial hype, its stock has roller-coastered dramatically since. After a surge at the trading debut, the shares sank through the last months of 2020, before staging a spectacular rally from late January 2021, reaching a new high point in mid-February. At KRW205,000 as of Thursday morning local time, the price is 52% above the IPO price of KRW135,000, and gives the company a market capitalization of KRW7.29 ($6.4 billion).

https://variety.com/2021/digit…r-big-machine-1234943092/

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stream to celebrate BTS the new overlords of US industry

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

HYBE takes over Big Hit America, will also merge with Ithaca Holdings

HYBE is set to grow its stake in the U.S. music market, as the company made a public announcement on Friday that it has taken over Big Hit America and will also merge with Ithaca Holdings, a major U.S. investor whose chairman manages pop stars Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber.

According to the announcement, HYBE — the new name of BTS's powerhouse Big Hit Entertainment — will buy all shares of Big Hit America worth 1.7 trillion won ($1.5 billion).

Later, Big Hit America will merge with Ithaca Holdings through its subsidiary BH Odyssey Merger Sub, after which Ithaca will become Big Hit America's subsidiary and BH Odyssey Merger Sub will dissolve.

"This is a move to actively jump into the U.S. market. Details will be shared later," HYBE said.

BY YOON SO-YEON [yoon.soyeon@joongang.co.kr]

pasted-from-clipboard.png

What is this? Do you think it will impact HYBE artists promotions in US and finally get them some promo and playlisting?

Edited 3 times, last by myaza ().

• myaza

Changed the title of the thread from “According to Korea Joon Gang Daily HYBE will buy Scooter Braun's company???” to “[Confirmed] HYBE, Formerly Big Hit Entertainment, Merges With Scooter Braun’s Ithaca Holdings Bringing Together BTS, Justin Bieber, Big Machine (EXCLUSIVE)”.
  • not this white man..

the sudden move to unlisted bh music make sense now. the more I read on this merge, the more I am glad about bh music being unlisted and remain as independent comp under hybe. scooter wont have any say about bts this way.

from what i understand, they bought scooter's company which mean they are under hybe now. as long as hybe are on top of the chain not the other way around, i'm fine. i'm here for bts anyway. could care less about the company structure and all

Edited once, last by icedbatu ().

• Scooter sounds like that shady guy that I keep seeing in the media (can't remember) was he involved in some Taylor Swift incident?

He was involved in most of the scandals lmao.

He had the rights to her masters of old songs.

• Im interested in what this means:

"Artists of both companies will participate in the capital increase of HYBE, to further strengthen the ties between the two companies."

Does it mean that both BH and Scooters artists will make additional investments in new company? Or they will receive shares?

• Bang pd is the Elon musk of entertainment, I wish I can fast forward 15 years to see where he’d be.

I feel like it’s over for other companies no one will be able to catch up, even after bts’s career slows down.

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• Scooter was always eyeing BTS, he got his hands on them finally.

Also Justin, Ariana and BTS now under the same company.

Damn those fan wars with Taylor will rise.

With the WB news and this Ithaca one looks like BTS is really going to be going mainstream in US.

• Not sure how much I like that but business is business. At least Bighit Music has separated itself from Hybe and focus on their core passion, which is creating music. That’s the most important thing

:lover1:

Separating BH Music and making it an independent company was a very good move.

• From the title alone...

Oh wow. I wonder the implications might be.

Scooter Brown stole Taylor Swift's song right?

Yeah and the owner of Big Machine, her old label that Borchetta dude will also be on the board of Hybe with Braun. The things people do to get their hands into the BTS pie, Braun merged his entire company into Hybe.

• Didnt Scooter take Jungkook to Arianas concert?

• Scooter is happy, like anyone would be after getting the job as HYBE board member

• I don't know why people are happy about this news, Scooter has sabotaged so many artists. He's a shady guy.

I don't care about his deal with bighit as long as he keeps his ass away from bts

• Scooter is happy, like anyone would be after getting the job as HYBE board member

I don't know why people are happy about this news, Scooter has sabotaged so many artists. He's a shady guy.

I don't care about his deal with bighit as long as he keeps his ass away from bts

Yeah we are worried about this scumbag too. But I’m sure Hybe are aware of his background before the take over so they’ll be on their toes. Good things BTS is under Bighit Music, as independent company. I’m sure they have secured their songs and all related content under there. Let’s hope for the best

• Men who made Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber now sit on the Board of Hybe...interesting prospects for when and if ever BTS members embark on solo releases.

Edited once, last by paradis ().

• This thread contains 166 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!