Vocal technique vs Vocal color: what is best?

• of course it's best when both are good but if we were to choose one, it's better to have good technique because even if you have a nice colour and bad technique, it doesn't even sound that nice and you end up destroying your voice anyway

• it isn't really about which one is the best as a listener

It is about preference and vocal color has always been my preference. Even before I found BTS. That, and I always would lean towards good lyricists.

Hence why I stanned who I stan.

And if you have both then that's perfect.

I wish to end this winter, how much longing must fall like snow before that spring day arrives?Spring Day

160837-for-gif

• If you have the basic skills down: vocal color

but a mix of both is indeed best

I choose vocal color cause that's harder to improve on than vocal technique

NewJeans é envolvido em nova polêmica com o MV de “OMG” | Revista KoreaIN

Edited 3 times, last by lialve ().

• Both but one must have at least basic skills I think. What good is having a beautiful tone if they cant use it. It's like you have a good color palette but you dont know how to paint. They should at least be able to sing on pitch, support, use mix voice.

After they can do these tone becomes important of course.

• Vocal technique, of course. But when we have a lot of skilled singers, I choose by tone. Like Taeyeon, she's an insane vocalist, some other have better technique than her, but she's still my favorite.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Both I have to say

If you have a nice a nice Vocal color but don't have the technique to used the voice it sucks.

But in the other hand you can have the best Vocal technique but when you don't have a nice Vocal color I don't like the singing :|:|:|

im confused, tell me one vocalist with great vocal that bore you

maybe mariah or beyonce or whitney?

• Technique. I'm thinking of an idol that was fervently defended over their bad technique because at least they had a unique vocal color, and they basically destroyed their voice with their bad technique. The last major release they had, I remember seeing a lot of posts going "wtf happened." It was basically unlistenable.

Color means nothing if you're going to only get a few good years out of it before you make yourself unlistenable with your bad technique.

And I agree with daniel-cruz : a good singer who has trained well can adapt their vocal color. It just doesn't seem like that in a lot of kpop because of companies' tendencies to chase trends and have their singers sing in specific ways for whatever's in style. But you see that there's more range than you'd expect when you compare an idol's voice in an official release vs. them just singing for fun, and how they can sound a lot less nasal or whatever when they're just riffing.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Both is best like Taeyeon.

But overall id say technique. Having more skill allows a person to be versatile and try out all sorts of sounds so they're more likely to put out songs that someone will like.

Colour they're going to be very limited. If you don't like their voice initially then there's nothing to change your mind later since there not skillful enough to branch out as much.

• Both are super valuable, but technique is more important.

• For me they are both important and I usually like the vocal color of main vocalists with good technique in kpop groups.

Having a nice vocal color is good but without technique to use a voice properly, it can be wasted.

I agree!

I mean that's what makes Baekhyun, Kyuhyun, Haechan, Onew, Jonghyun, Taeyeon, Seulgi, Winter, Kai etc super special. They have good technique and their naturally beautiful tones make them sound so heavenly. :pepe-sad:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Vocal technique, of course. But when we have a lot of skilled singers, I choose by tone. Like Taeyeon, she's an insane vocalist, some other have better technique than her, but she's still my favorite.

I think Taeyeon has the best technique among female idols and that's why she sounds better with each comeback but, she has a limited vocal range of only 2 octaves. However, Taeyeon's vocals are stronger than those of many main vocalists with a wider range like Jessica with 3 octaves and Wendy with 4 octaves. That means that Taeyeon's technique is no joke.

External Content youtu.be

• I think Taeyeon has the best technique among female idols and that's why she sounds better with each comeback but, she has a limited vocal range of only 2 octaves. However, Taeyeon's vocals are stronger than those of many main vocalists with a wider range like Jessica with 3 octaves and Wendy with 4 octaves. That means that Taeyeon's technique is no joke.

Taeyeon is really insane, but Ailee and Hyolyn and some others (idk now, but years ago) are/were better than her. But that's the thing: after a level of technique, the vocal color preference matters more.

External Content www.youtube.com

• I think Taeyeon has the best technique among female idols and that's why she sounds better with each comeback but, she has a limited vocal range of only 2 octaves. However, Taeyeon's vocals are stronger than those of many main vocalists with a wider range like Jessica with 3 octaves and Wendy with 4 octaves. That means that Taeyeon's technique is no joke.

Taeyeon has 3 octaves since years back, kpopfans really need to stop looking at that old vocal analysis post about her from 2015 it's so outdated but I still see people use the info in it to this day :sweatr1:

• First and foremost, it has to be technique. You have to be at least an above average singer in technique. After that, you can go with vocal color.

• I think technique is more important. It's possible to have good technique and a nice vocal color but if you only have a nice vocal color, then you won't sound as good in general because the technique isn't there. Sure some really great vocalists technically may not have the most appealing vocal colors, but some underdeveloped vocalists also don't have appealing vocal colors. Plus vocal color is subjective so it's not like you can really make people like your voice more if they just personally don't like the sound of your voice, but vocal technique can be worked on and improved.

Examples (My opinion so don't come for me):

Good Technique + Vocal Color: Onew, Eunji (Apink), Wheein, Seunghee, Taeyeon, D.O.

Good Technique, Bad Vocal Color: Yoseob, Winter (only when she sings really high notes because she sounds so piercing)

Bad Technique, Good Vocal Color: Hyunsik (when he sings in a lower range), Jungkook, Irene

Bad Technique + Vocal Color: Yeri, Jisoo, Hyoyeon, Kai

• I don’t care for how great somebody can sing if I don’t like their voice.. meanwhile there are plenty of voices I like that aren’t the best technically

so vocal colour

• Exo vocalists have both so that for me. Idk how kpop fans lie to themselves talking about vocal color when the singer is clearly out of tune. Sometimes it feels like kpop fans couldn’t care less about musical quality. Lol.

Kpop fans rarely stan someone based on talents lol

It's all about look (or at least how the company made that one member as the prettiest and majority of people will bandwagon even tho beautyty is subjective for each person)

Notice how majority of main vocalists in each group is the least popular? 😂

• Kpop fans rarely stan someone based on talents lol

It's all about look (or at least how the company made that one member as the prettiest and majority of people will bandwagon even tho beautyty is subjective for each person)

Notice how majority of main vocalists in each group is the least popular? 😂

Well exo can't relate

Baekhyun and D.o are the most popular and both main vocalists

EXOEXIST - The 7th Album 2023.07.10
    https://i.postimg.cc/TYFk7v3d/letmeinexo-1.gif https://i.postimg.cc/G2XKvZf1/letmeinexo-2.gif

• This thread contains 28 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!