Baekhyun’s vocal talent truly makes me speechless

• My true love will always remain Baekhyun's voice and with that I mean not just his voice color- his approach to singing is a large part of what makes it so addictive. I feel like anything he puts his voice on turns into gold. Listening to him is like floating on a fluffy pink cloud all the way to heaven

Baekhyun's voice has a lot and I mean a lot of personality. It really screams ‚Baekhyun’ when he sings. It’s extremely powerful and rich

It is crazy to think that he only trained for 4 months in SM and was already a great vocalist at the time of his debut. He really has a natural talent which just keeps improving more and more.

Even as someone with no vocal background, you can just tell he's a master at his craft, like the control and power he has over his voice is actually mind-blowing.

One of the most impressive things about him and his voice is how incredibly versatile it is, and how he packs these emotions each and every time he sings.

It always hits different whenever his parts come on. The fact that he can seamlessly and flawlessly blend his voice into a huge range of genres be it r&b, rock, pop, yet his vocal color rarely ever gets lost in translation is just crazy

Just the way he changes from chest voice to falsetto in Bungee and Underwater is enough to send shivers down my spine ;(

His lower range is hella developed, as shown in Love Again.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Like how smooth he transitions between like.. lower and upper register????

Which goes to show how versatile he is, and he does that without changing his vocal tone….his voice simply makes you come back for more each time.

His whole discography is such a gem and has been praised even by non fans.

I love how every album has it's own vibe but still has Baekhyun written over it

The way I still cry when I listen to UN Village because it's just THAT good. :pepe-sad:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But not just that, he’s also a smart vocalist who is fully aware of the strengths and even the weaknesses of his voice, and he knows how to utilize his strengths to the fullest. He does jazzy/rnb songs the best due to his prominent and pleasing vocal color and tone.

He has amazing breath control and swaps so flawlessly between his head voice and chest voice, both of which have excellent technique. You can tell he's been trained well. He’s a true talent in the vocalist arena.

On top of that, he is also really consistent when it comes to improving his skills. He regularly takes vocal lessons regardless of how busy he is, despite already being regarded as one of the best vocalists in the industry, just so that he could improve further.

What I also admire about him that he likes to study vocal technique, he studies/emulates a lot of R&B. And you can really see how much he invests in music and how much he loves to sing and even bigger to improve </3

Let me use his latest album Bambi as an example

External Content open.spotify.com

This is an album where he wanted to emphasize his vocals above all and show how hard he has been working on improving and he definitely accomplished that.

With Bambi he showed the strength and stamina he’s built in his range, while nodding to classic r&b style vocals

The whole album was basically him showing off with his vocals

You can see that especially in songs like Bambi, Cry for Love and All I got, he showed how far his range can go especially in All I got.

Baekhyun singing All I got and belting high notes while casually sitting down and eating strawberries is such an iconic moment LMAO

At this point he's just flexing :pepe-hehe:

Baekhyun’s strongest asset are his vocals and he consistently works to polish his skills(Be it vocals or dance) in order to deliver good music and showcase a better side to him.

It was also incredibly brave and of him to publicly talk about his weakness, and it just comes to show how humble he is.

Overall Baekhyun is an extremely well-rounded singer, and not only that but he is also a great dancer and performer, as well as having many more talents and skills under his belt

there’s just something about Baekhyun’s voice that makes you stop doing what you’re doing and instead focus only on him and his voice.

Not only is his voice so smooth but he also masters the art of conveying different emotions regardless of the song. he can make you feel the emotions he wants the listeners to feel and he does that so seamlessly

let me post one of my fave live performances of him

If I want to hear real emotions I religiously listen to these

feel free to share more :pepeflushed:

and last but not least, Stream SOTY Bambi :pepelove1:

• I also want to show another example of his versality and how he nails so many different genres he sings in by mentioning hurt

Hurt is a rock ballad collab he did with SeoMoon Tak, a veteran female South Korean rock singer known for her powerful voice and wide vocal range.

External Content youtu.be

Serioulsy this collab was EVERYTHING, what can he not do :pepe-tea:

• Well written Maple :pepelove1:

Baekhyun's voice is like velvet :pepe-sad: I admire with the level of talent he has he still manage to remain humble which i feel is an admirable quality in an artist..He is a vocal power house but still he tries to perfect his craft.

I am proud to be his fan :pepelove1:

thank you <3

ikr his voice is just so so so beautiful and I can't believe someone at his level still goes and tries to improve more. But it#s not just him, all the exo members are like that. They are so hardworking and try to improve everytime.

That's why I love and admire them so much :pepecute:

• FrostyMaple

Changed the title of the thread from “Baekhyun’s vocals talent truly make me speechless” to “Baekhyun’s vocal talent truly makes me speechless”.
  • omg this was so long and well written :lover2:

I agree tho. His voice is so distinctive and yet fits so many different genres, it's amazing. :lover1:

:pepelove1:

wow the length of this appreciation post, I could never ;( you did well maple <3

I don't really have anything else to add, when I say BAEKHYUN IS THE STANDARD I ain't lying :pepe-tea:

thank you :lover3:

you always state facts :pepe-tea:

• His voice made me stan him. Its the best thing about him 2x

My love and stay up are best example of just how incredible his vocal color can be

I also love his take on garden on the air here. I always ascend

External Content twitter.com

His upcoming ost snippet is literally breathing life into me at the moment ans its just 19s long eye-

• thank you <3

ikr his voice is just so so so beautiful and I can't believe someone at his level still goes and tries to improve more. But it#s not just him, all the exo members are like that. They are so hardworking and try to improve everytime.

That's why I love and admire them so much :pepecute:

Real artists are like that..They always try to better themselves and would be learning and evolving through out their career <3

Exo is a perfect example for it :pepelove1:

• His voice made me stan him. Its the best thing about him

My love and stay up are best example of just how incredible his vocal color can be

I also love his take on garden on the air here. I always ascend

ohh I actually wanted to post a snippet of stay up but I couldn't find the tweet :peperain:

Man his falsettos and adlibs in garden in the air are just the best things ever, like his voice is just next level ;( I know they arranged the instrumental for the cover and made it more modern but it suits him so much and I hope he releases a similar song like that

His upcoming ost snippet is literally breathing life into me at the moment ans its just 19s long eye-

I just know it's going to be breathtaking :pepecry:

alone these 19 seconds portray so many emotions I'm not ready for that

• External Content www.youtube.com

let me bring this to the table of why we admire the vocals

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

mERCf4S.png

• His upcoming ost snippet is literally breathing life into me at the moment ans its just 19s long eye-

his voice conveys so much emotion here and its only a tiny snippet i am prepared to be crushed when it's released

:pepe-sad:

Let Me Shine Bright 

4cfec65d8f2ca1e10d2992f8538ac5a70f371b16.gifv 41044baf21b673edaead3ab264714cfafe489aeb.gifv 330ae6c6236e9f54e2a629bf61728a4f2a08a326.gifv

• can't believe I finally found it after half an hour ;(

bro his voice here is pure heaven, like how is that even possible

• You already said everything so I don't know what else to add other than the fact that baekhyun's voice brings me so much comfort. Not only is his vocal tone pretty but he has so much range when it comes to the types of songs he can sing and that's what I love about him from an artist.

I love when he sings ballads/rnb songs the most because his soft vocal color and the emotion in his voice is just...

When Amusement Park came out I was like how do you not fall in love with that voice, literally saved my christmas :waterr:

External Content open.spotify.com

• Talented, passionate, hard working, smart, humble, funny, adorable, beautiful. He is whole package. Genius idol indeed.

:yesr:

Baekhyun is a very skilled vocalist but more than that Baekhyun really knows how to sing deliciously. The flavor he adds is impeccable.

Like you said he has a very beautiful tone and it doesn't get lost in his high and low register. His transition between chest voice and falsetto is so smooth and effortless.

And his live singing>>>>> He is so stable like is that even possible to sound this good while dancing

He can pull off any genre, style full with emotion. He is the most versatile singer in Kpop. He knows his strengths and weaknesses and he always works hard to improve his skills. He is not just a great singer but also a great performer. Baekhyun deserves all the love and respect.

Baekhyun just set the bars too high

:cryingr:

• omg me too :pepecute: Amusement park is still one of my fave releases by him, the whole vibe of the song is just so calming and beautiful </3

I truly think his vocals shine the most when he sings ballads because you can really feel all the emotions he portrays through his voice and it's just so beautiful

listening to him is really a comfort i agree. if I have a bad day I just listen to his songs and I already feel better :pepe-comfy:

• omg I love everything you posted, thank youuu <3

the fact that I will never be over addicted live. That was truly one of a kind performance and his voice...omg his voice ;(

the way he sings certain lines, thats what I mean with that he has a good control over his voice and that he can change it effortlessly

I live for his low notes in sweet lies and paradise, especially his part in paradise before the second chorus :pepe-sad:

and yes it's actually crazy how versatile and good he is. He's truly an allrounder :pepecute:

• I love everything you've written

:pepelove1:

Addicted live performance caught me off guard. His voice, dancing, gestures, gaze.... Baekhyun showed no mercy.

:pepe-life-support::pepe-life-support::pepe-life-support:

The prechorus of Baekhyun is the best part in Paradise. His voice is paradise

:pepe-sad:

Baekhyun has everything you can wish for. I feel sorry for the people who doesn't stan him

• thank you :pepelove1: tomorrow comes the exo version :pepe-hehe:

I really think it's one of his best performances, everything was just so perfect :pepe-life-support:

• I didn't have time to make a longer comment earlier but what a well written appreciation :pepelove1:

What always impresses me the most is that despite already being among the best of the best in the industry, Baekhyun still keeps working hard and wants to improve his skills as much as humanly possible. You can see he takes his craft incredibly seriously and it is such an admirable quality. He's a great source of inspiration and the standard.

There is nothing the man can't do. He's a first-class vocalist, a fantastic performer (i mean the way he commands the stage is just woah), a great dancer and if that wasn't enough he could be a top rapper as well if he put his mind to it which he already showed in CBX.

His talent is immeasurable :pepe-sad:

Let Me Shine Bright 

4cfec65d8f2ca1e10d2992f8538ac5a70f371b16.gifv 41044baf21b673edaead3ab264714cfafe489aeb.gifv 330ae6c6236e9f54e2a629bf61728a4f2a08a326.gifv

• no thank you for taking your time to read it and YES to everything you said! :pepelove1:

he's truly a great artist and he deserves all the success, recognition and respect he earned :pepecute:

rap byun better makes his return someday or I will sue :pepenomad:

• let's add these too

:pepeflushed:

• let's add these too

:pepeflushed:

that growl at the end of tornado spiral always gets me ;(

young was a great choice to open his concert :lover1:

• What a great thread and an outstanding commentary..I’ll try to do it justice with some commentary.

I’m a person who falls in love with a group or artist based on the voices and Baekhyun’s was one of the holy trinity that brought me into EXO and really deeper into Kpop. I have a deep and abiding love of r&b, and one of the things that has always struck me about Baek, in addition to the rich beauty of his voice is the way he seems to have studied the genre. You can see it reflected in his vocal styling, but that isn’t to say that he is just mimicking, but rather adapting specific elements that are familiar to fans of the genre.

I appreciate how his tone and vocal performance shift to paint the aural picture he wants to paint while still remaining quintessentially Baekhyun. You know his voice when you hear it, no matter what he’s singing.

It’s his voice that is often used as a flourish, ear-catching opener or punctuation in so many EXO songs. It’s his voice that goes for the big money note in SuperM songs. But I really love the way he explores a range of moods and styles in his solo work.

I’m always a sucker for big power belter songs and moments, so I adore All I Got. There’s power and emotion here, as well as yes, a vocal flex. (Vocal flex is part of the classic r&b tradition too.) There’s a long tradition of the well positioned flex in r&b vocals (stemming from the gospel tradition.) If you are singing full out the whole song, you can’t get the dramatic impact of a showstopper moment. It also demonstrates the power of your vocal prowess that you can just turn that magic on and off. (There’s a side tangent that I’d make here about modern belters not realizing the dramatic power of not going all out for the full song.)

What is even more impressive to me is that you can see the continued growth in his power, control and flexibility and he - already an excellent singer - continued to take vocal classes to expand his ability. I also really appreciate that he is clearly a student of music. The entire Bambi album is a really specific reference to a retro style of male r&b singers, and the agility of his voice is deployed in styles both dramatic (All I Got), sultry (Bambi) and quiet storm (Love Scene).

In addition to the r&b influences, I also love the way Baekhyun weaves jazz vocal stylings through his work. Frosty talked about UN Village, but I just want to emphasize how gorgeous this with its jazz vocal references blended with a modern groove. The way he rolls into this jazzy riff from 1:30-1:51 is just chef’s kiss and shows such a knowledge of your instrument.

This jazz influence also shows up in Garden in the Air (already talked about above) and Love Again. I certainly have a soft spot for a big power vocal but it’s a testament to his skill that he can deliver these gorgeous supple vocals on simpler arrangements. His ability to jump around in the different aspects of his voice silkily is always striking.

(This goes back to my point about how his delivery really shifts to suit the song.)

This is neither jazz, nor r&b - here he adapts his phrasing to be epic and dramatic to suit the song (this feels very cinematic, like the opening of a James Bond movie to me)

Similarly, Psycho takes an equally cinematic, unexpected approach.

I’ve talked a lot here about the references, because I appreciate them, but to me, what makes Baek so interesting is that he is taking a specific POV on each album. While I think he can make retro very well, I think he can also explore contemporary musical themes or even create really unique juxtapositions, like the aforementioned Psycho and UN Village.

He is equally adept with a modern r&b approach like the sexy lower tones of Drown, punctuated by those big bold Baek notes in the chorus.

Overall, he is not just an exceptional vocalist, but an always interesting one that is constantly shifting IMO.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I know my last post was a novel, but is just like to call out two more points here.

1. One more example of the vocal flex earlier in his career, because I love the hell out of this song and vocal performance.

This is a straight power belter, which is primarily in his lower ranges, in the style of a classic r&b ballad. His voice is tremendously flexible and agile but I always love this song and appreciate the way the delivery is restrained (so to speak) to make that big note pop.

2. I don’t think he gets enough credit for the ability to infuse emotion in his vocal (the focus is usually on the technical aspects of his performance.) A few slices here:

There’s a lot I like here but there’s a read of “like a Phoenix from the ashes” at 1:50 that is so beautiful and aching and gets me every time.

His yearning prechoruses here

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Oh Wow that took me some time to finish but thank you so much for contributing such a quality analysis here, honestly your commentary deserves a thread on its own :pepelove1:

There were some informations I didnt know so it was a really interesting and exciting read for me and I got to know more about his influences.

And agree you could really see that he was inspired by all these artists you mentioned, and I think it’s impressive and really admirable that he really took his time to study these specific styles

Omg yeeees I totally forgot to mention some of his jazz influences(and my thread was already too long lmao)

One of the reason why UN Village is such a special song. I still think it’s one of his best vocal performances and the way he uses his vocals in the song is actually insane.

Agree he’s so versatile and runner and hurt are two very good examples of his versatility.

• Ikr I wish more people would pay attention to the way he also masters the art of conveying different emotions regardless of the song. He can make you feel the emotions he wants the listeners to feel and he does that so seamlessly

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!