Changmin's depressing album sales (because of his marriage)

• If you were wondering if K-fans have matured past the "I'm boycotting you because you're married" mentality, they haven't. Chocolate was released before his marriage and Devil was released after. What's depressing is imo Chocolate was okay, but didn't blow me away. Devil is literally one of the most innovative albums I've ever heard in Kpop. TVXQ debuted nearly 20 years ago and their fans still don't think he should date freely. And ya'll are surprised when we have Kpop stars secretly getting married. I hate it here. :(

image.png

• Nd this was a marriage that people supported

Imagine other marriages people don't support

Geez its weird

Cant imagine denying myself joy of my fav album bc they married

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• His marriage has been extremely well received though. Devil has had terrible promotion so far. SM had him all over the place promoting Chocolate just like they did with Yunho's second album.

• For everyone questioning if maybe ~Devil just sucks~ it's so flipping good. Go listen to it.

And also, let's be real here, a shit-ton of kpop fans preorder albums. Day 1 sales are normally huge and you can't say it's because we all know the album is so good; people buy before they even know if it's going to be good or not.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• I don't think it's because he got married, it's just because SM Stan must have empty pockets by now. What MAX needs is to try collaborating with artists who are not from their company. He must create an image outside of SM. Jaejoong has done it. Max was always the one who followed the rules and never advertised for himself.

• And also, let's be real here, a shit-ton of kpop fans preorder albums. Day 1 sales are normally huge and you can't say it's because we all know the album is so good; people buy before they even know if it's going to be good or not.

was his last album received well? the one before this one. Cause I notice groups often grow their sales the most after their last album was liked. Maybe that isn't the problem tho, just curious if there's a reason

NewJeans é envolvido em nova polêmica com o MV de “OMG” | Revista KoreaIN

Edited once, last by lialve ().

• I don't think it's because he got married, it's just because SM Stan must have empty pockets by now. What MAX needs is to try collaborating with artists who are not from their company. He must create an image outside of SM. Jaejoong has done it. Max was always the one who followed the rules and never advertised for himself.

Please tell me you don't genuinely believe and aren't trying to say that it's the same people stanning all of SM's artists and buying all of their albums :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• was his last album received well? the one before this one. Cause I notice groups often grow their sales the most after their last album was liked. Maybe that isn't the problem tho, just curious if there's a reason

His last album sold around 100k all together. It also came out almost two years ago in April 2020.

Chocolate had pretty good promotion. There were mood samplers, performance videos, he did a lot of interviews about it because it was his solo debut. There just wasn't a ton of promotion for this album in comparison.

• Por favor, dime que no crees genuinamente y no estás tratando de decir que son las mismas personas que apoyan a todos los artistas de SM y compran todos sus álbumes. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I see SM fans as a family unit that has many artists to root for as a casual fan. I don't think it's bad. One can see that TVXQ in Japan sells well and it has been shown that the Japanese are equally supportive of Korean comebacks. He is one of the artists who always has a low profile, but for me he is the one that stands out the most in SM.

• Taemin less sales from 1st to 2nd Album

ha? Press it sold more than Ace

I don't think it's because he got married, it's just because SM Stan must have empty pockets by now.

gotta be the weirdest take here

This is comparing first week sales, the only people who buy first week sales are the core fandom

• Oh I just saw this

Anyway sales does go down or up album over album for many reasons

E40CA029-4E80-4C1C-AB2D-EB68789E6474.png

thats less than 1k difference

not 75 percent of your sales

how can you think of them being comparable?

• I see SM fans as a family unit that has many artists to root for as a casual fan. I don't think it's bad. One can see that TVXQ in Japan sells well and it has been shown that the Japanese are equally supportive of Korean comebacks. He is one of the artists who always has a low profile, but for me he is the one that stands out the most in SM.

You're wrong. There are company stans, but all of their groups have their own separate fandoms just like any other company. I don't know where you all come up with these narratives but just look at their artists' sales and the gaps alone should be enough to show that each group has its own fandom.

• That’s a weird and rather misogynistic assumption when no evidence points to that. His marriage has been well received by k-fans. I think you have several things happening here: the album wasn’t really promoted (certainly not the way Chocolate was), the lead single is not as GP-friendly as Chocolate was and I also think the EXO solos are giving people some false expectations on solo performances (particularly for a second Gen soloist). It would be interesting to see what sales were like for other second Gen soloist’s second albums.

I am surprised to see he didn’t see a lift coming out of the SMTOWN winter concert where people who may not have been familiar with him might have been interested enough to purchase.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I see SM fans as a family unit that has many artists to root for as a casual fan. I don't think it's bad. One can see that TVXQ in Japan sells well and it has been shown that the Japanese are equally supportive of Korean comebacks. He is one of the artists who always has a low profile, but for me he is the one that stands out the most in SM.

It doesn’t work like that tho. For example, the average NCT fan is not interested in TVXQ, assuming they even know who they are. TVXQ music, particularly the work as a duo, is not a comparable style to NCT or even EXO for that matter. This idea that people who like one SM group like all SM groups is so far away from the truth..or that the groups are interchangeable. Hell, even SM learned that several times over..

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• So? I listed a range of examples. Some less some more. All of them have various reasons.

The main point was correlation is not causation :pepepizza:

The point is that if you're roughly selling about the same perhaps a little less, it's not a big deal. If you drop OVER SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT that's pretty freaking significant and something must have happened. Hmm, what happened? Oh yeah, the marriage

• I don’t think you can take that and run with it.

Kai sold more of his first mini than his second and he is not married. I hope.

But Kai still a lot with Peaches. And I remember Hmmph going low-key viral whereas Peaches just kinda happened and it wasn't a hit. Plus Hmmph has significantly better charting. So it makes sense that Hmmph would do better. Going from 70k to 10k is depressing and obviously something happened that would make people less interested. I can see it being slightly less but not over 75%

how are we sure it's because of his marriage. Most idols decline after being active for really long

Yeah but this is a decline after just a couple years. And in between those years he got married and that was the only thing that would explain such a significant decrease. Are there other factors? Probably. But I'm pretty sure the main one was the marriage.

• The point is that if you're roughly selling about the same perhaps a little less, it's not a big deal. If you drop OVER SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT that's pretty freaking significant and something must have happened. Hmm, what happened? Oh yeah, the marriage

When numbers are that small percents look bad lol but dropping 40-50k or even 70k in sales is common. So yeah not unusual.

• maybe the moozic was shit on marble

It wasn't.

• Plus why are people acting like Chocolate's promos were good lmao. His solo debut just kinda happened. With this new album we got not one but two really high quality MVs plus a performance video

• Tbh i also think it's bc of his marriage. The drop is huge considering his numbers and he wasn't involved in any type of scandal neither his music is bad so the most "logic" reason it is indeed the one op said.

Sure we can have several ideas etc, but this is kpop and lbr idols do get hate and boycotted for dating and even more for MARRYING... The support online was great, but offline is showing a sad view.

But i could be wrong... Who knows....

• His music is top quality and he is insanely talented. But IMO it's better for old idols to release digital albums only. Most fans of old idols in the industry that aged with idols, won't buy useless physical albums anymore. It only exists as collectibles or as means of support. It's all fun and nice at the beginning but those who have been stans for more than 10 years just won't possibly keep doing that all their lives. Probably the percentage of fans who still kept buying useless physicals for Chocolate was the delulu who thought they had a chance hence most went away after the marriage announcement.

lt64IYu.gif

• Hopkinz

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • If this is the case for why long-term fans are not as interested, it would be really shit…. But I don’t know if you can cast-iron say it’s because of that.

I do also wonder if it’s just that two years is a long time in Kpop between albums and a lot of Kpop fans seems fairly fickle and impatient, so without frequent releases, will sometimes stop following with ad much attention?

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!