How did you get into/discover kpop?

• I knew and heard kpop before because a Taiwanese classmate was really into SNSD and played it for us. But I never got into it because it was too cute and I couldn't understand the language. Fast forward some years later and I saw that Drake had followed Blackpink on Instagram so I became curious and checked them out. I really enjoyed the raps and half the song was in English, been hooked since. I only enjoy Girl Crush though because most of my listening is done at the gym or in the car.

Please cry more.

• I was watching Hotel del Luna and said "let me see if the songs of this IU are any good". Now here I am.

So kdrama was your gateway, interesting! How did you get into kdrama, was it always played on the tv nearby you?

youtube randomly

Cool! What was the song if you don't mind me asking?

I heard Gangnam Style one time and decided to check out more kpop cause why not. This was 2014 which was a great year for kpop imo so you know I was into it. I casually listened for a few years then BTS came along and made me into a true kpop stan (Don't stan them anymore though)

Hard agree, I really got into kpop that year as well. You first heard Gangnam Style in 2012 or 2014?

i was kid on tv there was wonder girls tell me, nobody and i used to sing and dance along

Aww that sounds so cute. :pleading:

Those were seriously some hit songs back in the day. I'm glad your friend introduced you to some more, which led to even more!

My high school English teacher showed SNSD - Lion Heart music video for a lyrics assignment and I thought it was cool. After that, my journey for KPOP began.

That's pretty awesome honestly. Did your teacher make you analyze the lyrics, or...?

It's always the english teachers too, I got my high school english teacher into Day6 lol.

• I should be a millionaire now after the amount of times I've answered this question. It was in 2011 through my daughter who was nine at the time got me into it. Funny thing is I remained a fan but she isn't anymore.

• Cool! What was the song if you don't mind me asking?

I want to say it was Kill This Love - Blackpink that actually got me interested. I heard a couple Kpop songs a long time ago (like one 2NE1 song and one Big Bang song) bc I had a couple friends that stanned those 2 groups. I didn't pay much attention to them though.

In terms of what song made me commit to jump into the Kpop rabbit hole, it was Side Effects by Stray Kids. It definitely shook up any preconceived notions I had of what Kpop could be.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• Got into Kdramas after getting into Jdramas.

Looked up edits of a kdrama couple on youtube, one had Butterfly by BTS as the music

Went looking for the same edit a few days later because I had the song stuck in my head

Looked them up, and here we are. 5 years later.

• Gangnam Style was first introduction.

Then while reading Korean history, Admiral Lee Sun Shin, threw up the IU's drama, ignored it.

Then my first k-drama was Strong Girl Bong Soon, just interesting title on Netflix, liked it.

Looked up Park Bo Young and noted that she was in a MV with IU, recognized the name from Lee Sun Shin.

Initially didn't know who was the singer between her and IU .. :rolleyes:

Then looked up IU ..Bbibbi was the first hook, then on explored...

• Back in the 90s there was a magazine called TokyoPop and it has a feature on kpop, I looked it up online and found an early kpop site that still exists when it was just an Angelfire homepage

• not quite, but a friend showed me this back in 2003 on a vcd i believe. I thought it was cool and decided to delve deeper by going to a Korean music store in my city. It had a bunch of pop music that i didn't know existed in Korea...the rest was history though it was on and off with me. Saw vids of SNSD and Kara online here and there. I didn't get into it full time sort of speak until the WG appeared on SYTYCD.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Back in 2005 someone posted Super Junior's MV on the forum I was on. I hated it because it was pop. Over the years I liked a few songs here and there, but never really got into it. I saw BTS on SNL and decided to check out more on YouTube and ended up falling down the rabbit hole.

• K/DA

Did you find this through your youtube feed or were/are you a League of Legends player?

Through SNSD when I first heard Run Devil Run.

SNSD was the first girl group I heard too. Where did you hear Run Devil Run?

Got into Twice and Loona in 2018

Did a friend introduce you to the groups, or did you stumble upon them on your own?

Got into Kdramas after getting into Jdramas.

Looked up edits of a kdrama couple on youtube, one had Butterfly by BTS as the music

Went looking for the same edit a few days later because I had the song stuck in my head

Looked them up, and here we are. 5 years later.

Good taste, I like that song too. I'm curious, who was that kdrama couple...were they from Goblin by any chance?

Boa. I was into jpop and and anime and a Boa song was used for a user made fan video for an anime. I loved the song so I searched her (it was really hard since YouTube didn’t exists at that point) and I fell for the whole thing. Boa then Mblaq then Beast, Infinite, etc.

:pepe-toilet:

Oh a long time fan! You listed some classic groups so you've witnessed some growth of kpop, pretty cool. It must've been hard to obtain east asian content in general back then I imagine...

Do you remember what BoA song was used for the fmv by any chance?

:whatr:

• They were actually the main couple of Cinderella and Four Knights :flying:

• Oh a long time fan! You listed some classic groups so you've witnessed some growth of kpop, pretty cool. It must've been hard to obtain east asian content in general back then I imagine...

Do you remember what BoA song was used for the fmv by any chance?

Of course! It was Atlantis Princess and it was for Fushigi Yuugi anime.

:pepe-cringe:

The power that song had on me. Me and Boa are the same age so I spent my fan years cheering for her as if she is a friend of mine. Looking back it’s kinda cute lol

Yeah it was. We had to use weird server things, torrent sites, people posted fandom translations on livejournal. It was hard but I remember to have a solid group of friends on Livejournal with different group favorites and we helped each other finding contents.

All in 144p quality. Lmao

• Through Kesha's demo. I was a huge Kesha fan at the time and was listening to her demo of Run Devil Run

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    before I found SNSD's official released version

• Did you find this through your youtube feed or were/are you a League of Legends player?

I found it on YT. I knew LoL existed but was never interested in every playing or following it. Although, I do like LoL related entertainment like the music productions and the new Netflix series, Arcane.

• I knew and heard kpop before because a Taiwanese classmate was really into SNSD and played it for us. But I never got into it because it was too cute and I couldn't understand the language. Fast forward some years later and I saw that Drake had followed Blackpink on Instagram so I became curious and checked them out. I really enjoyed the raps and half the song was in English, been hooked since. I only enjoy Girl Crush though because most of my listening is done at the gym or in the car.

Ahhh so your introduction and getting into kpop were different time periods. Cool cool. Girl crush concepts gets me going for the gym too!

Gangnam Style was probably most of our technical introduction to kpop, lol. I'm glad IU's Bbibbi got you to explore a bit more. That was a pretty fun song. Also, Strong Girl Bong Soon is a pretty great introduction to kdrama land I'd say.

Blackpinkhouse showed up in my YT feed. I watched it and got hooked, watched Boombaya and the rest was history. From BP, i got exposed to the rest of Kpop. BP literally did pave the way for me!

Wow so your username references to your kpop beginnings! Blackpink House was a pretty nice show, felt like I was on vacation with them sometimes.

People: "Kpop stans only stan for visuals"

Kpop stans: *Get into Kpop because they heard a song and liked it*

Right? Visuals could intrigue people but I don't think they're the sole factor for stans to like or get into their favorite groups...

Back in the 90s there was a magazine called TokyoPop and it has a feature on kpop, I looked it up online and found an early kpop site that still exists when it was just an Angelfire homepage

Dang that's way back, awesome. You remember the first group you saw/heard from that feature or that website by any chance?

• SES

That url is from 20 years ago. dont remember anymore

• I became obsessed with blood sweat and tears by BTS back in early 2017.Much the same way I was obsessed with libido by onlyoneof this year. I was actually watching a video of the sexiest male idol music videos before I got to blood sweat and tears :pepe-hehe:

• This thread contains 71 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!