Goblin

• Guardian: The Lonely and Great God aka Goblin (Korean: 쓸쓸하고 찬란하神 – 도깨비) is a fantasy romantic drama that starred Gong Yoo, Kim Go-eun and Lee Dong-wook in leading roles. It aired on tvN from December 2, 2016 to January 21, 2017 for 16 episodes. Written by the popular drama writer Kim Eun-sook, the drama was a critical and commercial success as the final episode recorded 18% viewership while the show won numerous awards, including the Grand Prize for writer Kim Eun-sook and Best Actor for Gong Yoo.

Trailer

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I. Synopsis

Gong Yoo plays Kim Shin, a military general from the Goryeo Dynasty, who was framed as a traitor and killed by the king. Years later, he becomes an immortal goblin, cursed to witness everyone he loved die as punishment. He uses his powers to help others while praying for his misery to end. The solution manifests itself in the Goblin's bride who has the power to pull out the sword, which can put an end to his immortality.

The Goblin's bride is Jin Eun-talk, played by Kim Go-eun, a cheerful high school student, who summons Kim Shin by chance. The story takes various twists and turns especially when a Grim Reaper, played by Lee Dong-wook, moves in with the Goblin and unravels their deeply rooted relations.

II. Cast

Main

Actors Characters
    Gong Yoo

Kim Shin - A 939-year-old immortal goblin and protector of souls who is in search for his bride, the only one who can remove the sword piercing through his chest.
    Kim Go-eun

Ji Eun-tak - An optimistic and bubbly 19-year old high school student and the legendary Goblin's bride.
    Lee Dong Wook

Grim Reaper / Wang Yeo / Kim Woo-bin – A cynical yet humorous grim reaper (Angel of Death) who guides souls to their reincarnations or afterlives and Kim Shin's housemate.

Supporting

Yoo In-na

Sunny / Kim Sun - The attractive owner of a chicken restaurant who hires Ji Eun-tak.
    Yook Sung-jae

Yoo Deok-hwa - A rebellious yet kind-hearted chaebol heir and the only grandson of the Yoo family, a household that has the responsibility of taking care of the Goblin.
    Lee El

Samshin - Goddess, the creator of birth and fate

Kim Byung-chul

Park Joong-heon - a cunning and manipulative eunuch from the Goryeo Dynasty

III. Soundtracks

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

IV. Reception

Viewership

The drama topped cable television ratings in its time slot with the final episode recording an 18.680% nationwide audience, making the episode the second highest rated in Korean cable television history.

Impact

The drama was so popular that it sparked various trends. Moreoever, the clothes and accessories which were worn by the actors saw an increase in sales. The drama also sparked parodies on social media.

V. Accolades

Awards Recipient
    11th Korean Cable TV Awards

- Best Drama

- Best OST: Ailee (I will Go to You like the First Snow)

- Rising Star Award: Yook Sung-jae

- VOD Broadcasting

5th Annual DramaFever Awards

- Best Actor: Gong Yoo
    - Best Supporting Actor: Lee Dong Wook
    - Best Supporting Actress: Yoo In-na
    - Best Couple: Gong Yoo & Kim Go-eun
    - Best Melodrama

53rd Baeksang Arts Awards - Grand Prize (Daesang): Kim Eun-sook
    - Best Actor: Gong Yoo

10th Korea Drama Awards - Best Drama
    - Best New Actor - Yook Seung-jae

2nd Asia Artist Awards - Best OST: Ailee (I will Go to You like the First Snow)

9th Melon Music Awards - Song of the Year & Best OST: Ailee (I will Go to You like the First Snow)
    12th Asia Model Awards - Asia OST Popularity: Chanyel & Punch (Stay with Me)

Awards Recipient
    32nd Golden Disk Awards - Best OST: Ailee (I will Go to You like the First Snow)
    27th Seoul Music Awards - Best OST: Ailee (I will Go to You like the First Snow)

Comments 1