IVE’s styling does not seem really balanced (talking about the showcase)

• It’s been a long time since i wrote a controversial thread.

Before I go into my thoughts. This thread is not about the group members' personalities or chemistry since I cannot judge this without any context.

I just question the choices of Starship. Let me hear out. So, I was really excited for Ive’s debut since I really liked their pre debut introduction videos and it seemed as if every member had their own “5 minutes” and no one overshadowed anyone. Especially with the background of Wonyoung being the center of I*zone and a popular idol and Yujin being a very popular member of I*zone, one of my concerns was that the other members will be overshadowed or not introduced well enough. This was the case for a lot of post-produce groups where they started as “X & friends” groups.

The debut though started making me question it a little bit. The styling disparities of the Showcase stage are severe. Wonyoung has a very strong stage presence (and that just by her visuals because those are out of this world). Who in their right mind thought it was good idea to give her the most outstanding dress in a striking color that literally looked entirely different than the styling of the other members? In my opinion, even without such a styling she would have stood out but not that severe. It seems as if she was doing another concept than the others. It is the same for Yujin but it’s not that obvious/ severe. Yujin still felt like a member of the group. Then I didn’t understand why they styled Leeseo and Gaeul so similar as in makeup and hair style/color. The whole styling concept of Ive is a little bit all over the place (This would deserve another thread lol). The only member except for Wonyoung/Yujin that stands out or is noticeable is Rei and maybe Liz due to her blond hair. I hope the next comeback will highlight the other members - especially Leeseo and Gaeul. I hope this won’t be another “XY and friends“ group.

What do you think?

• Well, it's their debut and I think they will be a balanced group in terms of style and whatever, but tbh it's a safe play. Their 100k sales in 2 days came partially bc of the 2 members so not a x,y,z & friends situation, just a safe play to secure the already fans and after promote better all. It's their debut so I'll give them time. And tbh Liz stood out the most to me. She was stunning!

• Well, it's their debut and I think they will be a balanced group in terms of style and whatever, but tbh it's a safe play. Their 100k sales in 2 days came partially bc of the 2 members so not a x,y,z & friends situation, just a safe play to secure the already fans and after promote better all. It's their debut so I'll give them time. And tbh Liz stood out the most to me. She was stunning!

I am only judging the debut showcase though and not their sale/digitals.

My favourite member is Rei. She seems really cute

• Wonyoung got the priority even in IZ*ONE, Sakura mentioned the most experienced makeup artist worked exclusively with Wonyoung and another member (that was popular). Since she is the center, and also a huge reason that people are even bothering to check out this group, I think Starship is just trying to capitalize on her popularity. In a way its to appease her fans too. In my personal opinion I think that its fair, she rakes in a lot for Starshit (which is why I also think they got that million or however much won apartment for these girls) and so she gets priority

That’s understandable but they should have still made more efforts to push the other members. In I*zone Wonyoung was the center but the other members weren’t overshadowed. Idk, maybe it will be different for the next stages

• we can’t deny that wonyoung and yujin are pushed as the faces of the group Literally all ot6 pic they are in the center

But it seems like Liz is getting a lot of attraction, she really stand out.

(I’m surprised that gaeul isn’t that pushed I thought she would have been the visual but actually not)

Overall I think the group is well balanced all of them get enough lines and screen time

• I am only judging the debut showcase though and not their sale/digitals.

My favourite member is Rei. She seems really cute

I think only focusing on the showcase isn't a good indicator bc as i said: 2 popular members so obviously a more push/center image initially to secure the already fans so i think just within the next cbs we will see if they will give others the same treatment or if Wonyoung and Yujin will be officially the centers.

About Rei: her presence is strong, i found her amazing on the MV. Her eyes are incredible. I hope to see them more bc girls got potential!

• arent they all like children

they're probably giving the flashiest clothes to the older ones cause......that's safer ( for lack of a better word )

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• we can’t deny that wonyoung and yujin are pushed as the faces of the group Literally all ot6 pic they are in the center

But it seems like Liz is getting a lot of attraction, she really stand out.

(I’m surprised that gaeul isn’t that pushed I thought she would have been the visual but actually not)

Overall I think the group is well balanced all of them get enough lines and screen time

I don’t understand how they are not pushing Gaeul. It seems a lot of Koreans or netizens seem to notice her. But maybe they might change their strategy mid-promotion

• btw this is showcase styling if someone don't know how girls looked

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

ive2.jpg

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That might be but all of them are very young

biggest reason i wont check them out in the first place

but i mean, they've already been in pretty adult clothing from the first teasers so if that's the concept they are going for, its probably safer for the older ones to go all out

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• I don’t understand how they are not pushing Gaeul. It seems a lot of Koreans or netizens seem to notice her. But maybe they might change their strategy mid-promotion

If I debuted a new group with already two popular members I would have definitely push them to create more hype they can send the other simply because nobody knows them

(My only concern is that we don’t know that other members beside their names and ages lol but they will have their first variety show soon !!!! )

I think once IVE start gaining traction and established themselves the company will push the other members

• Wonyoung got the priority even in IZ*ONE, Sakura mentioned the most experienced makeup artist worked exclusively with Wonyoung and another member (that was popular). Since she is the center, and also a huge reason that people are even bothering to check out this group, I think Starship is just trying to capitalize on her popularity. In a way its to appease her fans too. In my personal opinion I think that its fair, she rakes in a lot for Starshit (which is why I also think they got that million or however much won apartment for these girls) and so she gets priority

I agree and Starship did the same thing with Sistar as Hyolyn was the most popular. They promoted her like crazy at the beginning and then slowly promoted her members a bunch too as the group gained popularity because of her. As long as they do that again and not pull a 4Minute where they overwork the most popular member and leave the others in the dust, causing the other members to hate their center, I do not see an issue with this.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• Then I didn’t understand why they styled Leeseo and Gaeul so similar as in makeup and hair style/color.

Oh op, i totally agree with you in this one. I didn't keep up with all their pre debut teasers, etc, so when i first saw the mv I got really confused with them and i thought the stylist could have changed something. I think individuality is a great idea in a group bc each girl can attract a different "public" so having two girls with the same image isn't that smart to me, but this can also be a "me" problem. Regardless, i have faith in them and i hope to hear more about them.

• Not sure how I impeded your right to an opinion on this forum? Is it by pointing out how silly said opinion is? Because it is quite silly. I won't go on an explanation spree as to why because multiple responses have already been made explaining such.

Well, you were the one to start getting personal based on an opinion. Also, who is calling this silly except you? The other people in this thread respectfully say their opinion and agree/disagree with mine. So, either start using arguments respectfully or leave this thread. No one insulted Ive. This is just an opinion on their showcase styling and nothing wrong with that. If you don‘t respect opinions that are different than your‘s, then that’s your own personal problem

• Oh op, i totally agree with you in this one. I didn't keep up with all their pre debut teasers, etc, so when i first saw the mv I got really confused with them and i thought the stylist could have changed something. I think individuality is a great idea in a group bc each girl can attract a different "public" so having two girls with the same image isn't that smart to me, but this can also be a "me" problem. Regardless, i have faith in them and i hope to hear more about them.

Me, too. I really liked their bside song and I have been streaming it since yesterday lmao Maybe the next comeback will show a more obvious creative direction

• Well, you were the one to start getting personal based on an opinion. Also, who is calling this silly except you? The other people in this thread respectfully say their opinion and agree/disagree with mine. So, either start using arguments respectfully or leave this thread. No one insulted Ive. This is just an opinion on their showcase styling and nothing wrong with that. If you don‘t respect opinions that are different than your‘s, then that’s your own personal problem

I'm not sure what to tell you. I think what you said was silly. That is my opinion. If you take that as being disrespectful to your opinion, well, nothing I can do about that. And no, I don't need to give an explanation as to why I think so, because, and as you have stated, this is a free forum.

• I'm not sure what to tell you. I think what you said was silly. That is my opinion. If you take that as being disrespectful to your opinion, well, nothing I can do about that. And no, I don't need to give an explanation as to why I think so, because, and as you have stated, this is a free forum.

Well, do it if it helps you. Opinion =\= not argument but I think that you don’t understand my replies nor my op.

• Most popular member gets the better styling. Always has been the case, and probably always will be.

I don't know much about IVE, but I do agree that two of their members look very similar to the point I could not tell them apart when I watched the MV. I think there was one slight difference. Like one of them had a blonde streak or something? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone different? But, yeah, I agree with that. It's never good when you can't tell certain members apart. Though I have had this same issue with LOONA (at the very beginning) and there was Joyuriz in IZ*ONE. So maybe not such a big thing.

Wonyoung is always going to get the outfit that stands out the most and is the best. Even as the group grows, but I agree with the person that said as long as the line distribution/screen time is equal, and other members are promoted to the public in other ways, this does not have to be another Hyuna/Suzy situation. Might not even end up being an AOA situation either where there were was 1 main member and the 2 or 3 other popular members.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Well, do it if it helps you. Opinion =\= not argument but I think that you don’t understand my replies nor my op.

I understand exactly what you meant. I understand because I have seen the same silly argument being parroted on other sites by multiple different people (which is why I didn't feel like getting into it again about the same thing, especially since multiple people here already made all the valid points).

Sorry, it might have sounded as if I was coming directly at you personally, but in my head it was more of a "you guys" kind of thing.

The argument itself that putting Wonyoung in pink is somehow detrimental to the group as a whole is just something I find incredibly silly, no matter who it is from. Especially because the reason as to why they consciously made that styling choice should be something obvious.

I love how you used my favorite pet name for their label, Starshit is PERFECT lol.

Also, is this really their dorm? This is how millionaires live in Seoul 8|8| .

External Content twitter.com

• I understand exactly what you meant. I understand because I have seen the same silly argument being parroted on other sites by multiple different people (which is why I didn't feel like getting into it again about the same thing, especially since multiple people here already made all the valid points).

Sorry, it might have sounded as if I was coming directly at you personally, but in my head it was more of a "you guys" kind of thing.

The argument itself that putting Wonyoung in pink is somehow detrimental to the group as a whole is just something I find incredibly silly, no matter who it is from. Especially because the reason as to why they consciously made that styling choice should be something obvious.

You could have just said this from the beginning.

Well, it is a personal attack but let’s agree to disagree.

• Wonyoung the visual

IVE-Debut-Showcase_3-scaled.jpg

Looking at this pic, they REALLY should have done something about the hair of the three on the right. They literally have the exact same hair color and pretty much the same hairstyle. The other two almost look like copies of Yujin. I mean, a ponytail? Half-up/half-down. Different bangs...something. I mean they didn't have to go as extreme as let's say STAYC...but they literally look the same.

The blonde, Wonyoung, and the girl in the blue and gold dress look like they are in a totally different group.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Have u checked out this video? It has a mix of the showcase outfits with white outfits. I think the members stood out.

External Content youtu.be

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

Edited once, last by atropos ().

• Have u checked what this video? It has a mix of the showcase outfits with white outfits. I think the members stood out.

External Content youtu.be

No, I haven’t seen this one. That’s a far better styling. Why didn’t they choose one like this for the showcase?

• i really didn't think their outfits are that bad. wonyoung stands out a little bit more but i think it's expected that her and yujin will be pushed the most at debut since they're the most popular.

the other members don't look like backup dancers at least, which i've seen happen to other groups. like i think in g-idle's debut showcase soyeon was in all red while everyone else was literally in black or muted colors and they just looked like soyeon's backup dancers.

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• btw this is showcase styling if someone don't know how girls looked

ive2.jpg

The short girls make the group look bad. Although one of them is really pretty. I wonder why Starship chose them for the group. 4 girls should be fine.

• I think they looked great? To me the styling looked cohesive and all the girls looked gorgeous. I’ve seen WAY worse than that lol.

• The short girls make the group look bad. Although one of them is really pretty. I wonder why Starship chose them for the group. 4 girls should be fine.

Nowadays when people pay attention to mental and physical health of Idols... debuting 4 member group seems risky, because you need to sit down kid when she ain't healthy.

Also it's already huge downgrade in member number in comparison to their senior group WJSN.

• i think the styling look okay, although Wonyoung's dress is very striking in color, it still looks quite cohesive with the rest of the group but just that she stands out a lot with that dress.

I agree with Gaeul and Leeseo. They look so similar and i notice that they often stand next to each other too so they look even more like twins. I think one of them should have different hair color so that they can be easily differentiated.

tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo1_400.gifv tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo9_250.gifv tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo6_400.gifv tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo2_400.gifv

Edited once, last by Elbereth ().

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!