RBW under fire after Purple KISS' Goeun uniform got Nazi symbol on season greetings photoshoot

• People are demanding official apology from company.

Goeun apologized during fan call, of course it's obvious it isn't her fault, and in this case it was small detail.

Here is photo which made people angry - it's about Nazi Eagle swastika badge - it's under U.S. Airforce badge

which makes a whole thing even weirder and crazier :|

nazisw.jpg

and here is either edited version or changed after people started complaining

pilot.jpg

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• yikes. At least they fixed it. But still yikes thats is like basic history

yeah it's out of mind that Koreans would erupt if it will be Japanese rising sun yet when it's swastika they don't care...

it's crazy, crazy...

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It happened a few days ago and no one here noticed. Why do you bring that up now?

well...

they officially apologized now

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/11/rbw-apologizes-for-purple-kss-goeuns-2022-seasons-greetings-outfit

• It may seem like common knowledge to us, but it really isn't in some places of the world. For instance, in Japan, this symbol means something completely different โ€” a Buddhist symbol.

People prioritize what's most relevant to them and what has affected them the most. This is why Koreans spend more time learning about how Japan has historically hurt them instead of what Nazi imagery looks like.

this

this is the reason why also international fans usually don't care with rising sun controversy and think that koreans usually do a lot because of this

meanwhile for Koreans it's a very big deal

โœฉWe Born with the X-Geneโœฉ

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• It may seem like common knowledge to us, but it really isn't in some places of the world. For instance, in Japan, this symbol means something completely different โ€” a Buddhist symbol.

People prioritize what's most relevant to them and what has affected them the most. This is why Koreans spend more time learning about Japan's Rising Sun symbol and how Japan has historically hurt them instead of what Nazi imagery looks like.

There's really no reason for them intentionally cause public outcry by doing something like this, if that's what people are speculating. There's no incentive for them. This appears to be an instance of lack of awareness and that's what it is.

the one in Japanese temples is facing other side I think?

just sayin that stylist or person which brought those badges to company should be reprimended/fired

• oo good thing they fixed it then

:pepe-cringe:

I mean, from my understanding, Koreans aren't as aware of this kind of stuff. It's partially a cultural difference so I don't think this was done with bad intentions, but I'm happy they addressed the issue and fixed it.

๐Ÿ’ฃ๐ŸŽ‡ P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ’ฃ
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

โœง๏ฝฅ๏พŸP1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7๏ฝฅ๏พŸโœง

• This isn't the first time the swastika appears in K-pop, so I guess Korea is one of the countries that aren't aware of its symbolism because they didn't directly face Germany in WWII. Korea was under Japanese rule from 1910 to 1945, so it makes sense they care more about the Rising Sun Flag (Japan) than about the swastika (Germany).

• the one in Japanese temples is facing other side I think?

just sayin that stylist or person which brought those badges to company should be reprimended/fired

Most people can't even tell which way the Nazi swastika faces. And there are swastikas facing both ways in temples.

People prioritize what's most relevant to them and what has affected them the most. This is why Koreans spend more time learning about Japan's Rising Sun symbol and how Japan has historically hurt them instead of what Nazi imagery looks like.

There's really no reason for them intentionally cause public outcry by doing something like this, if that's what people are speculating. There's no incentive for them. This appears to be an instance of lack of awareness and that's what it is.

I agree with this. In my country the swastika doesn't hold much relevance or taboo even for people who took history in high school. A few people will sometimes use the symbol on clothing only with thoughts of it looking cool.

I'm glad the company changed it quickly.

I should link my three knowledge threads huh? lol

• This video proves many people in other countries are not familiar with Nazi symbols:

External Content youtu.be

• I can name at least one instance in which a renowned American artist used the Japanese Rising Sun symbol, likely unaware of its notorious history.

Most of us Americans aren't taught about inter-Asian conflicts. We're taught about our involvement in foreign affairs, but the scope of our education ends there. There's still a lot of inter-Asian continental issues happening today that we have no clue about.

It's important to point out these controversial moments to help companies understand โ€” so they can avoid accidentally hurting or rubbing people the wrong way in the future. However, I doubt any of this was a sinister, intentional plot to convey a mean-spirited message.

I agree with this. In my country, schools (or at least my school) didn't teach us about Nazi. Of course we know it just because of how notorious it is and sometimes the word appeared few times, but we don't really know what exactly happened at that time. We were focused on learning the countries that colonize us like Japan, England, the Dutch, Portugal, and Spain. That's why our people will be aware and relate more to the Rising Sun symbol because that's what our ancestors experience, but not so much with Swastika.

• it reminds me of the auspicious symbol used in Hindu traditions

it closely resembles the nazi symbol

History Fact: The Nazi symbol was inspired by the auspicious symbol in Indian religions and traditions. Thatโ€™s why they look so similar. Hitler liked the way it looked and decided to make it the symbol of the aryan race after visiting India.

• We must understand that each country studies its own history and is not aware of what is happening on the other side of the world for obvious reasons. Europeans don't know what happened to Korea in WW2, and Koreans don't know what happened in Europe in WW2.

People have reported the problem and the company has taken steps to correct it, I think there is no need to say more about it. Too bad some stupid kids did too much as usual on social networks.

• And the swastika is even older than that

Itโ€™s also found in Buddhism which was a widespread religion in NEA tooโ€ฆ so the people over there by default have a different connection to the symbol anywayโ€ฆ in the west we just know it as the Nazi Symbol, even though that symbol was inspired by Asian religion and traditions.

Thatโ€™s the roof of a Korean Buddhist Temple

6245715868_9ef5025271_b.jpg

• Hate groups regularly co-opt preexisting symbols so they can hide in plain sight. The fact that the swastika is a common element in Buddhism/Hinduism, means it's as common to see one in Korea as seeing a Christian cross in the US. But pairing it with the iron eagle and the military symbolism is what ties it to Nazism which is why people who haven't learned about it tend to use items like this unintentionally.

It sucks that people would use this as a slight to the group when in reality it was just a simple mistake. I highly doubt the stylist saw the patch and was like "aw yeah let's offend some people!"

Not only in Japan tho.

I watch a American youtuber who lives in Korea. She went to Jeju island earlier this year and said "I will check out this cute cafe I saw on Instagram" and as she sat outside on a chair in the lawn watching the ocean next to the cafe I was shook cause the entire building had this simbole multiple times on the walls

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

It's crooked .

And it's literally with the eagles .

It's 100% a Nazis symbol .

Honestly with how popular kpop is becoming . Some agency need to be careful on some topic .

And it's literally the equivalent of the rising sun symbol in Korea .

• Didnโ€™t the symbol originally mean prosperity and good fortune in certain parts of Asia before the Germans took it and transformed its meaning? Probably one of the reasons why Koreans are unaware of the current meaning of the symbol if they ever knew its original meaning.

• swastika has been a holy symbol for Indians (In Hinduism and Buddhism) and it symbolizes prosperity and good luck. I hope people stop associating it with just the nazi party and see it as something offensive.. it was stolen by hitler and put to wrong use but it does not make the symbol lose its actual meaning..

thanks to him, a symbol of peace and positivity has lost its value in modern day..

whats the point of knowing history and crying about it and calling people out when you don't even actually know half of it

• Koreans dont know about World War 2? How is that possible?

weโ€™re only talking about the actual nazi symbol and how recognisable it is to people in countries where it wasnโ€™t prevalent; no oneโ€™s saying koreans donโ€™t know about ww2 :facepalm: theyโ€™re still in discord with japan even now very much bc of ww2 so iโ€™m sure they know it exists lol :sweatr1:

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!