Why the Koreans still prefer IU to BTS, despite of all the achievements of the latter?

• http://www.dailysportshankook.…cleView.html?idxno=249213 (in Korean)

249213_248476_3627.jpg

The two people in the left are Son Heungmin, a soccer player, and Kim Yeonkyung, a volleyball player.

===

Sports Hankook, an entertainment rag in Korea, had its annual poll of the people the K-O-R-E-A-N-S like.

I will skip on other categories, and will only list the Entertainment figures. Since the percentage is kinda meaningless I will only list #1 to

Yoo Jaesuk

IU

BTS

Jun Jihyun

Gong Yoo

Kim Sunho

Song Joonggi

Kim Hyesoo

Shin Minah

4 tied at 10 - Song Hyekyo, Lee Youngae, Jung Woosung (all actors) and Lim Youngwoong.

====

With all bars taken out, YJS is still the top entertainment figure, and most of the people the K-O-R-E-A-N-S like are actors.

Among singers,

despite of all the achievements BTS had done around the world,

the stubborn K-O-R-E-A-N-S still rank IU above BTS!

What's wrong with these people?

• Koreans probably like and listen to IU's music more than Bts's.

IU is extremely successful and loved in S. Korea since several years.

BTS having more achievements in the west won't make them more loved by koreans. Koreans won't suddenly change their taste in music just because BTS are now more successful.

• Are you obtuse?? IU and BTS keep changing up spots on so many polls. It’s not new for IU to top BTS nor is it surprising for BTS to top IU.

I think this is the first poll I’ve seen this year that has IU topping BTS and she’s the Korean diva so it’s to be expected.

It’s still amazing BTS got voted to top 3 for barely doing any kind of promotions in Korea this year

The very fact that IU is still neck and neck with BTS in K-O-R-E-A tells a lot

BTS is all over in the news so even though they don't promote in Korea their name is well known

• i think she is korea's sweatheart

they see that she is talented in both music and acting so they respect her a lot

she's also been there for a long time so she holds a nostalgic factor those people who have seen her journey through the industry

She has been firmly entrenched in the Korean psyche. A lot of people grew up with her, and that is hard to beat

• Koreans probably like and listen to IU's music more than Bts's.

IU is extremely successful and loved in S. Korea since several years.

BTS having more achievements in the west won't make them more loved by koreans. Koreans won't suddenly change their taste in music just because BTS are now more successful.

In the melon rankings she does outrank everyone else

Korean music taste is mostly ballads, which will change as the younger generation who grew up under Kpop grows older, but it is strange that people in 40s, a lot of them not exposed to trot when they were young, suddenly lean to it.

Still a lot of K-O-R-E-A-N-S are not impressed by BTS's world conquest, which is strange

• Cause BTS didn't release any album in 2021, not to mention all of their singles are not in Korean language this year (except for My Universe, but I don't really count that). While IU released an album this year. Last year BTS was above IU.

Tho it seems like none of them can beat Yoo JaeSuk no matter what lol.

• IU has been in the public for way longer and has way more known hits.

anyways happy Kim Sunho is there. Still nervous about his ex girl friend though.

Yes she has more songs the Koreans like

It seems the whole Kim Sunho scandal is now blown away, because his ex-gf showed she was really insane.

• Cause BTS didn't release any album in 2021, not to mention all of their singles are not in Korean language this year (except for My Universe, but I don't really count that). While IU released an album this year. Last year BTS was above IU.

Tho it seems like none of them can beat Yoo JaeSuk no matter what lol.

It is still remarkable that IU is still holding her ground against BTS in Korea.

YJS was at the top for as long as people could remember, at least from around 2005. His stranglehold is unlikely to break since there is not even a successor to him in sight.

• Yes she has more songs the Koreans like

It seems the whole Kim Sunho scandal is now blown away, because his ex-gf showed she was really insane.

Still nervous though I wish she would actually just go away but can see her coming back once he starts again.

• It is still remarkable that IU is still holding her ground against BTS in Korea.

YJS was at the top for as long as people could remember, at least from around 2005. His stranglehold is unlikely to break since there is not even a successor to him in sight.

I never said it's not remarkable. But it's no brainer that the more active you are or the more material you released, you'll most likely be higher on a yearly poll like this.

• IU popularity is no joke in Korea ,I think even during BigBang , Winner ..etc popularity she was one of the few female artists that can compete with them. I don't think achievement mean you're more popular despite bts achievement I think Korean enjoy IU music more, maybe they find her lyrics more relatable her music easy for the ear idk people have different taste. People always say BTS are the most popular group but they never specify where they're popular and thats a fact, but where? Are they the most popular group in Japan , China , US, UK, Italy ...etc?? or but I don't view popularity with achievement, are they the most popular kpop group ?defiantly, are they the most popular kpop act? it depend if it's in korea then maybe IU is taking that spot if it's in the US then yes

• People don’t listen to music for achievements. IU’s music appeals to broader range of people in Korea than BTS and most of Korea grew up with her.

I wouldn’t say the gap between the two is huge though, and doesn’t affect either IU or BTS negatively cause they’re clearly both thriving. They have different fanbases which is why they often alternate positions in these kinds of polls.

I think if you’re worried about anyone it should Yoo Jaesuk, let’s not forget he debuted in an idol group last year so technically he’s a singer lol

• I think IU's music is the type of music Koreans usually listen to. and from my observation idol music is not really as popular as people think in Korea with the exception of some girl groups songs here and there that might appeal a bit more to GP.

even some blackpink members like IU's music

• You have invented a new version of "Humble Brag" for IU, maybe it is "Complain brag",

Posts read like complaining about her, but is actually highlighting her popularity, success etc.

Still a lot of K-O-R-E-A-N-S are not impressed by BTS's world conquest, which is strange

Actually BTS popularity is because SKs are impressed by their world conquest, even when they themselves are not fans of their music.

BTS has two part popularity in S.K, I would think.

#1. People who are actually into them, their music, idol culture etc. That itself is huge.

#2. People not into them, but are aware-proud of their immense foreign success.

The second group may not actual listen to their songs, that's why they aren't still topping the ULs.

But second group will matter in these type of popularity survey polls,

• IU has been in the industry way longer,

also its much harder for pop boygroups to get mass appeal its still impressive they are #3 with no promotion in korea this year

And IU was in the top 3 last year, when she didn't promote much either, and in 2018.

2019 as well, but she had promotions that year for Love Poem.

At this point both don't need any promotion, people will go out to check out their work.

The brands are so strong.

• Pitting BTS against IU is not the shade you think it is. It’s a high compliment indeed.

Imagine having to keep staying at the top to fulfil some people’s expectations of you. I’m sure that was how BTS feel, the expectations from the korean and some kpoppies (even some ARMYs) are ridiculous. Other idols will be praised for being in top 10. But BTS need to be at number 1 otherwise they are losers.

This kind of treatment and expectations can really take a toll on people mentally. Do you think it’s all right to do this?

• So according to OP and kpop fans here, this apparently means that K-O-R-E-A doesn't listen to BTS' music, nor are interested in them... because they are number 2 after IU. (Also the only idol on the list, apart from IU obviously). And just like them for their achievements!

This isn't the drag kpop fans of other artists, who are absent from the list, think it is.

As someone said in this thread... BTS topped IU last year, in the same list. So this also means that last year K-O-R-E-A-N-S didn't listen to or liked IU's music, didn't watch her dramas, nor watched programmes she was in. And she is just famous because of nostalgia factor! And they were crazy for BTS' music.

While a group of mere musicians making music in multiple languages without much promotions are competing with nation's little sister who dabbles in almost everything Korean, quite insane isn't it?

Mind you this is just one list, BTS and IU are constatntly interchanging their positions in multiple lists. That's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Do you people now hear how stupid you sound by using IU to even try to undermine BTS an inch... because you can't use anyone else?

"Overspending on my pens, that are more in number... than your fans" - Suga.

• shading bts and for what? So trash kpop fans talking about how IU ranking higher than bts must be because of her music but if it was bts topping the ranking you would say that it is all about popularity and how koreans have inferior complexity and love to worship the west??

Non of your faves here no exo no bp no twice no nct no aespa ....but your ass is here shading bts shut the fuck up ho

• Only thing to take from polls like these are that both IU and BTS have a wall between them and other artists currently. And that no matter what year and what happens, Yoo Jaesuk still reigns as emperor over all others in korea.

• that must be true for iu too

there must be people who like her acting career but are not into her songs

Sure.

Yet she is #1 on the ULs in S.Korea. Hence the gap between recognition and consumption is lesser in her case.

• This thread contains 62 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!