I’m sorry, but Kpop stans seem to have an odd obsession with main vocals

• This is not towards those who simply prefer stanning main vocalist. This is mostly towards the ones who feel like an entire group must have members who are at that level

This is especially evident whenever a Kpop group is about to debut, or amongst survival shows

For the former, it’s as if the second you show the first 2 members announced for the group, and they are likely to be sub vocals, you’ll have those people who gotta be overtly critical towards their singing. Like even if they’re good on their own, it’s as if they must hit high notes or have a raspy voice of else automatic flop

And for the latter, it’s even more annoying cuz like…. The whole point is to create the most well rounded most stan attractor worthy group. I understand wanting to have 1, maaaaaybe 2 members who can lead a group in those departments. Especially because there is gonna be a main & lead vocal position in that group & someones gotta hit the mark in those departments

But like…. Do you really need EVERY member to be on that level? Like you just need to hear a powerful voice from a member who’s gonna get 10 seconds of a song lol

Balance is good. There does need to be main vocal types, but there also need to be those who can lead in dances, those who can lead a team well, and despite how Kpop fans still pretend this is a surprising foreign concept…. Yes you need a stand out visual, it’s 2021 the fact that that hasn’t registered in some peoples brains by now is bizarre

But most of all, I see people act like you need to be main vocal to be the center of a group. Like sis…. No. If anything, the best centers are those who are all rounders who have good stage presence. That’s why Somi, Daniel, Wonyoung, and Yohan did so well with those potions

It’s quite rare for say a Sejeong to happen imo. Like she was definitely center worthy, but not solely on the fact that she was a power vocalist. It was cuz she had a charm that made you look her way, she had great stage presence, and she was naturally funny. So if Somi didn’t get that position, Sejeong would have pulled that off with flying colors because she was an all rounder too even though she stood out a lot more for her vocal skills

But yeah again cuz I know some ho gonna be messy & twist words, nothing is wrong with stanning main vocals, nothing is wrong with wanting a certain type of main vocal in a group. It is however pretty annoying when you want to force a lineup of just main vocal types with no other qualities to add, and being overtly critical towards anyone who doesn’t fit your waaaaaay too high standard of being a good vocalist

It’s like if you’re not a power vocalist, you are terrible at singing overall. Like I’m pretty sure there’s middle ground between “Damn they’re extremely impressive” and “Omg they sound horrible”. Like you could just be quite good, or decent

Cuz unless it’s a Mamamoo or Spica type group, there’s really no use of having a majority or entire lineup of strong vocalist. It would literally just be for the sake of your own personal bragging rights as a stan, and if that’s the case…. Yikes

Edited once, last by Lubby00 ().

• Oh shit this was much longer than I thought it’d be lmfao

TLDR: The “odd obsession” isn’t stanning main vocalist, it’s forcing that standard on those who aren’t that and towards an overall group

Cuz unless it’s a Mamamoo or Spica type group, there’s really no use of having a majority or entire lineup of strong vocalist. It would literally just be for the sake of your own personal bragging rights as a stan

umm maybe because I like a group to sound good while harmonizing and while doing their job at singing in general. How is that Kpop fans obsession? Literally the most important thing for a group. Fans brag about artists views and sales 24/7 but caring about vocals is a problem?

People say they like their fav because of their music but music changes. I like various genres and songs. If I would stan based on music then I would be stanning 90% of the industry. I like my favs because I love their voices especially together. I enjoy voices and singing more than anything in a SONG. Weird obsession I guess.

lt64IYu.gif

• umm maybe because I like a group to sound good while harmonizing and while doing their job at singing in general. How is that Kpop fans obsession? Literally the most important thing for a group. People say they like their fav because music but music change. I like various genres and songs. If I would stan based on music then I would be stanning 90% of the industry. I like my favs because I love their voices especially together. I enjoy voices and singing more than anything in a SONG. Weird obsession I guess.

You either didn’t read the thread at all, can’t comprehend what is being said in the thread, or are intentionally being malicious. Cuz…. Since when did I say liking harmonic groups was a weird obsession? I’m glad I pointed out ahead of time that someone was gonna twist my words, cuz you made sure to be the first do so lol

There is nothing wrong with liking those types of groups, there is nothing wrong with liking main vocals. I pointed out how problematic it is for stans to be so hellbent on it, that they bash any idol/trainee that doesn’t fit that desire, or their (way too) high standard for that. Or feel like every group has to have a group of main vocal types when it’s for a fact that it is not necessary

Cuz there are too many cases of stans who have stan those types of groups, and be assholes to the competition who may or may not be as good as them in that department. And especially those who watch a survival show & have a hissy fit if someone who isn’t main vocal material makes it

Edited once, last by Lubby00 ().

• You either didn’t read the thread at all, can’t comprehend what is being said in the thread, or are intentionally being malicious. Cuz…. Since when did I say liking harmonic groups was a weird obsession? Lol I said someone was gonna twist my words, and you made sure to do so

There is nothing wrong with liking those types of groups, there is nothing wrong with liking main vocals. I pointed out how problematic stans are to be so hellbent on it, that they bash any idol/trainee that doesn’t fit their high standard for that. Or feel like every group has to have a group of main vocal types when it’s for a fact that it is not necessary

Yeah I admit that I still don’t really get your point. Sorry if I misunderstood.

lt64IYu.gif

• Yeah I admit that I still don’t really get your point. Sorry if I misunderstood.

It’s that it’s okay to prefer main vocals or power vocal groups, but not okay to bash anyone or group that doesn’t fit that standard

This is mostly a survival show thing. There are certain stans who will have a heart attack if it’s only 2-3 main vocal types in the top insert number, despite the fact that other roles do indeed need to be filled. Or when groups have member reveals, and if someone isn’t a main vocal type, people are quick to say that he/she is bad and write them off just in hopes that the next member(s) is that. Example, JYP’s new girl group. Only a few members got revealed, and the newest member is clearly a visual/sub vocal type (though she’s actually better than what a lot of groups visual would sound like), and people on her thread here were quick to call her meh because of it, and go on a “JYP needs good vocals” rant because of it

Tldr: Stanning main vocals = okay, forcing that standard on those who aren’t that =/= not okay

I hope that helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!