Controversial opinion: Somi has a bad discography

• A lot say that Somi was perfect to go solo and that she's too "good" for a girl group but imo her music now is no different than ITZY's.

Somi to me while she makes some good songs (Outta My Head & Birthday) the rest of her songs are just generic, throwaway Kesha / Blackpink rejects (ie: Dumb Dumb, What You Waiting For)

I mean rumor has it was that "What You Waiting For" were one of the songs that Rosé listened to before she decided on "Gone" and "On The Ground" for her solo release.

Aside from the two songs I really love Birthday and Outta My Head, her music is just too generic. She doesn't have the X factor for a solo artist imo.

Somi's music could easily be sung by Itzy, aespa or Blackpink. Somi doesn't have an identity at all. If she wasn't part of YG or auditioned for JYP she wouldn't get the attention she has now.

Dumb Dumb is just way too generic for my taste especially after a year since "What You Waiting for"

• Wait? Somi has a discography?????

:smirks2:

true and im sorry if i sound bitchy in my thread, cause I do shake my head to some of her songs but her music is just badly written and will age terribly.

• I loved Birthday, i still think it's her best song. But you can criticize any song and say that another singer couldve done it lol, it's not like anyone in pop is making Beethoven's 5th Symphony or anything.

i know but with Somi her songs do sound like Blackpink rejects

• it's all good my friend - different strokes for different folks and all that...

personally I really like her discography but I can understand why others might not...

• i know but with Somi her songs do sound like Blackpink rejects

But so many of BP's hits were 2NE1's rejects werent they? Just because they were rejected or declined by another act, doesnt make them bad. I bet there are thousands of hit songs that were previously rejected before they were finally released by the artist that ultimately ended up doing the song.

• But so many of BP's hits were 2NE1's rejects werent they? Just because they were rejected or declined by another act, doesnt make them bad. I bet there are thousands of hit songs that were previously rejected before they were finally released by the artist that ultimately ended up doing the song.

true true. you got me there. i did add Controversial to the title of thread. we're gonna have to agree to disagree. I hope it doesnt sound like im bashing Somi the person cause I actually do like her and find her very likable.

• how is that controversial

isnt this the mainstream opinion

Somi would have had more support just being a pictorial model, given her recognition

i guess the support i've seen for her to go solo was on Reddit. a lot said in 2019 that she didn't fit Itzy or Twice.

• Dumb dumb is a good song It’s one my of fav of 2021

But yay her discography isn’t that good

Tbh I don’t understand the generic part what’s wrong with generic songs not everyone needs to do Kiki Kiki kak music

I’m sorry but out of her songs birthday is the epitome of generic song her debut was dragged to hell glad she changed her sound to A more mature concept

But at least her concept sell she’s pulling 30k

• I mean that’s true for a lot of artists being produced for by teddy lol his music has never been it :teeheek: but anyways i agree :smirks2:

• the "blackpink rejects" bit is just ridiculous, and somi's music sounds nothing like itzy's or aespa's.

i dont even need to talk about aespa since absolutely no one will agree about somi and aespa sounding similar.

itzy's entire image is "love yourself" and "rebels" which absolutely isnt what somi is doing. somi is doing a high teen concept and is the face of the high teen concept in korea atm.

about "blackpink reject songs", rose only listened to and recorded what you waiting for as a practice demo for some vocal runs, nothing more, especially considering somi both wrote and composed that song alongside teddy, r.tee and 24. of course, with the same bunch of producers, somi's music will sound similar to blackpink's, but her music is all far too "young", "unpolished" and "high teen" for blackpink. The last era blackpink did anything high teen was back in 2017 with aiiyl and they never touched the concept again. sure, somi's music could fit in a pre 2017 bp, but that bp is long gone, and bp has a more edgy and polished image now.

and btw, out of the 8 songs she has, somi wrote lyrics for 6, composed 4, and only didn't write or compose for 1 song (anymore, a bside)

imo her discography post dumbdumb (the new songs on the album) + outta my head directly place her among the best discographies and pretty much all self produced at that.

but then again, your taste may be weird, and thus your opinion is controversial

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• i guess the support i've seen for her to go solo was on Reddit. a lot said in 2019 that she didn't fit Itzy or Twice.

well it was better than telling her to give up or something

she tried

feel like Teddy really screwed her over with this music but hey seems atleast some people still like it so its not all bad

her huge potential is pretty much dead though

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Wut? Teddy has like 25+ number one songs on Melon/Gaon Weekly charts. He's the greatest hitmaker in Kpop history.

being a hitmaker has absolutely nothing to do with the actual quality of the songs produced lol. Are you one of those people that firmly believe good charting automatically equals good songs, no argument needed? Lmao. I’d point out the bazillion examples in every music industry on this planet that counter-argue this but i’m not in the mood for fielding off salty people coming to fight so imma refrain from naming any names for now :teeheek:

• YG destroys a lot of potential by forcing his artists to stay with Teddy and not branching out with other producers. They waste a lot of time by being forced to use Teddy as their producer

• I find it cringey for idols that has to beg other idols to do these dance challenge for them.

interesting...so you've never liked when seniors and so forth dance with their juniors for dance challenges and the like?

• I find it cringey for idols that has to beg other idols to do these dance challenge for them.

I mean it is a marketing campaign .

U could argue the same with idol promote their song on a show and dance to it with the MC just go "woo~~" "so cool~~~" .

And basically every idol oriented show has their own dance challenge .

It started with 2x speed but then they do it on other show too and other show came up with other challenge too . Nano dance ,etc .

It's just a marketing and helping each other . WHen she release smth do dance challenge and when the other party can do it too.

And let's not act like 70% of hit song in kr is bcoz of dance challenge now .

Even David Guetta hey mama enter the chart in kr coz of SWF Wayb noze choreo .

• interesting...so you've never liked when seniors and so forth dance with their juniors for dance challenges and the like?

It's nice that the senior are doing it out of the good of their heart but I feel bad for the idol that has to go around begging other to do it for them.

• It's nice that the senior are doing it out of the good of their heart but I feel bad for the idol that has to go around begging other to do it for them.

interesting but isn't it okay for friends to do it for their friends?

even with seniors obviously it's the junior that asked the senior to partake no?

• hmm I mean, I kinda like a few of her songs, but I feel like she is fulfilling a niche in kpop. Like yeah sure her songs can be generic, but I don't see that as a bad thing. It's a feel good generic.

I liked how some of the songs on XOXO used acoustic elements. It felt pleasant, kind of familiar, yet somehow fresh.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Somi album is wayy better than rose's album lmao

And somi has talent to write her own song not eveyday every night bla bla garbage lyrcis lmao

• Somi's music is def directed at the highschool demographic, and with that common themes and instrumentality are usually associated with it. Its simply a genre like rock, each song is different but you'll always here drums and a guitar. Let's be honest most songs are safe unless you're into indie music where they really take risks, most people want to hear things that are repetitive because that is the basis of catchiness.

Second, songs and demos are passed around all the time, its just apart of the business. Like I know we talk about reject songs but some of the biggest hits are as well so that alone doesn't make it bad. Def not saying people can't criticize, in fact I also think she could also spice things up a bit, just my two cents about her work.

• First off, Somi's music is nothing like Itzy's.

I would broadly describe it as similar to BP's sound but with more of a Western influence.

It's hard to give it a single label though, because there is so much variety. She's a 20 yo soloist still finding her sound.

Somi seems to be moving towards a Teddy sound with a bit more of a lower R&B flavor to the vocals. Anymore shows that her voice is also well suited to a pop-rock sound. Maybe her future sound will be some sort of Teddy-kpop/R&B/pop-rock fusion? Sounds unique to me.

Just think about how these sounds can be combined.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!