Why the term "oppalogist" is annoying af

• Is the term being overused? 45

The result is only visible to the participants.

Okay so I guess we can all agree that some people deserve to be called that and I'm not saying it can't be used alltogether but I've already seen many people using it whenever some shitstorm scandal breaks out involving male idols or actors. Yup some fangirls really are super unreasonable and defend their idols ignoring the reality but this term is also being used towards fans who aren't so keen on canceling their favs just because of some rumours or anon posts.

Take the situation with Kim Seon Ho (or many others)...there were some people saying the things the ex-gf said about him don't add up but they were immediately called out as "oppalogists", victim shamers " or mocked with the good old "oppa didn't mean to" etc...you get what I mean

Tbh it's super annoying because it makes the fans who actually know better than cancel somebody without any proof look like idiots and it fuels the cancel culture

As I was talking about Kim Seon Ho ...you should read the full Dispatch reveal on k-boo (this forum won't let me spell the word properly or insert a link to the website wth) because akp news really suck lol

I'm not even his fan but it kinda bothered me how people were immediately siding with the woman not knowing the whole truth, poor guy...and don't get me start about the woman...not only she ruined him but also harmed the real victims whom nobody might believe because of shitty people like her

EDIT: People voting for "nah"explain yourself too :boredr:

Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn GIF - Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn Arcane - Discover & Share  GIFs

Edited 2 times, last by _Dalnim ().

• _Dalnim

Changed the title of the thread from “Why is the term "oppalogist" annoying af” to “Why the term "oppalogist" is annoying af”.
  • It's annoying AF because it implies that the people given that label are supporting someone blindly cause they are infatuated with them and summarily tries to dismiss whatever argument that person is making, valid or not. There is no way for that NOT to be frustrating.

• _Dalnim

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • It's annoying AF because it implies that the people given that label are supporting someone blindly cause they are infatuated with them and summarily tries to dismiss whatever argument that person is making, valid or not. There is no way for that NOT to be frustrating.

Oh you worded it much better than me ... very well said :yesr:

• There will always be cases where it's not fairly used, as with all things, but it would be less prevalent if 99% of Kpop fans didn't behave like actual oppalogists.

It's like with stereotypes. We know stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. But the fact is stereotypes still exist for reason.

• There will always be cases where it's not fairly used, as with all things, but it would be less prevalent if 99% of Kpop fans didn't behave like actual oppalogists.

It's like with stereotypes. We know stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. But the fact is stereotypes still exist for reason.

I get what you mean but I really wouldn't say it's 99%

• That term is used to paint fans of male idols with the same brush, no matter the idol and no matter the fan.

Just like uncle fans is used for the reverse situation.

It's degrading, it's reducing fans to a stereotype and it needs to stop.

Actually I thought a bit about this.

Whilst they are both degrading, the effect is not the same.

Because one is targeting what they perceive as "young girls" standing up for their oppa

So they are "placing them in their square". Which is fucked up (excuse my french)

And the latter is targeting older males.

And from my point of view they can call me uncle fan all they want.

I am one after all since I am quite older than most male fans.

• I dunno who Kim Seon Ho is, so I'll use Seungri as example for the term 'Oppalogist'. These fans excuse/support everything their oppa did despite the overwhelming evidence. (There are some here on akp. )

tbh there is no proof of Seungri raping girls or recorded them, he was convicted of gambling and giving prostitution services, basically hiring prostitutes to service rich men (some fangirls are fine with that, I find it disgusting). I don't support him tho or care about him. he is not my bias, I only care about GD and T.O.P.

• I find this term incredibly sexist because 1. It implies only women are blinded by delusion and 2. It makes the fan look more pathetic than the man they are defending, when in fact they are just being biased like most of us are when it comes to things and people we like instead of commiting whatever atrocious act they are trying to justify.

So yeah, when it's only targeted at a specific gender, it is sexist and misogynist, especially when it's used as an insult.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I dunno who Kim Seon Ho is, so I'll use Seungri as example for the term 'Oppalogist'. These fans excuse/support everything their oppa did despite the overwhelming evidence. (There are some here on akp. )

Yup there're defo people like thattoo but I was talking about Kim Seon Ho because his situation is the exact opposite of Seungri's situation...KSH is an actor whose ex wrote a lengty post about him being a jerk , forcing her to undergo abortion and then leaving her because of it...everybody was super keen to cancel him and all advertisment companies droped him like a hot potato...he apologised to the gf and everybody involved but then Dispatch revealed the truth about the ex distorting how it really happened, she also lied to KSH a lot and was meeting other men behind his back and that was the reason he broke up with her not the abortion they agreed on by the way...he also didn't want this situation to harm her so he didn't even try to defend himself so her friends and his friends sent some convos to Dispatch so the truth can be revealed....anyway my point is I saw people using the term oppalogist and such when his fans where trying to defend him and saying some things she was saying didn't add up....it was a situation when nothing was confirmed yet but anybody who tried to defend him was labeled as oppalogist or victim shamer etc

• _Dalnim

• _Dalnim

• I'm not saying they don't but I find the term to be super overused or unfairly used a lot which is quite derogatory towards women who are targeted with it

and being derogatory is the whole point-

would you want to ban words like stupid or idiot because they're used unfairly SOMETIMES and have a negative connotation-

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• I find it weird overall (as I actually find any korean word intl kpop fans use even If I do use myselflol) but I don't like when male fans use to describe female fans

• and being derogatory is the whole point-

would you want to ban words like stupid or idiot because they're used unfairly SOMETIMES and have a negative connotation-

I never said I want to ban the word, I just said it's being overused a lot and it's also problematic because it specifically targets women as if men can't be delusional about their favs

• I never said I want to ban the word, I just said it's being overused a lot and it's also problematic because it specifically targets women as if men can't be delusional about their favs

for every "opplogist" like term, there's one meant for men too, like uncle fan for instance, or just straight up being called horny or a perv. i dont think there's anything problematic with that. plus oppalogist isnt really gendered? it's just used against women more since women tend to stan men more-

• for every "opplogist" like term, there's one meant for men too, like uncle fan for instance, or just straight up being called horny or a perv. i dont think there's anything problematic with that. plus oppalogist isnt really gendered? it's just used against women more since women tend to stan men more-

oppa is a term in Korean only women use towards older men than them so yes it is very gendered...the other terms you mentioned aren't used in the same context as "oppalogist" tho...nobody will call men perv etc just for defending their fav female idols if a scandal breaks out

• in some cases it makes sense but most of the time if you are not ready to hang all the men for literally any small mistake you will be called oppalogist

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• oppa is a term in Korean only women use towards older men than them so yes it is very gendered...the other terms you mentioned aren't used in the same context as "oppalogist" tho...nobody will call men perv etc just for defending their fav female idols if a scandal breaks out

so they'll call them simps instead? i've seen plenty of times, people saying things like "uncle fans are at it again" and what not else.

not every gendered term is inherently bad. i dont think there's anything wrong with calling someone an oppalogist when 90% of kpop fans will ignore any mistake their faves make and defend them blindly.

i think your problem is less with the word and more with the fact that its gendered there isnt an exact equivalent for girlgroup stans

• so they'll call them simps instead? i've seen plenty of times, people saying things like "uncle fans are at it again" and what not else.

not every gendered term is inherently bad. i dont think there's anything wrong with calling someone an oppalogist when 90% of kpop fans will ignore any mistake their faves make and defend them blindly.

i think your problem is less with the word and more with the fact that its gendered there isnt an exact equivalent for girlgroup stans

I have problem with the word itself because it's an easy cop-out from arguement like superyeah said above and also because it is gendered ...as I said before men can be as delusional about their favs as women

Simp can be used for anybody tho and "uncle fans" is used in very defferent context

We can agree on disagree tho it doesn't bother me that much, it's just annoying :wellr:

• It’s sexist and only thrown into the room when fans defend a male celebrity… you don’t see people giving fans any label when they do the same defending female celebrities.

It implies that girls can’t think rationally when it’s about their male faves… it’s even more ridiculous when people who cry about sexism towards female BG fans use this term to belittle the opinion of other women….

• I feel like only oppalogists are mad at the term oppalogists, and the comment above proves again why I said 99%. The amount of blind defensive and obsession toward idols is on a cult level, and quite honestly oppolgists isn't even half as bad as some stans deserve.

And as for the term being gendered, regardless of it's use in Korean, I've always used in reference to boy group stans be them male or female. When it comes to girl group fans the word "apologist" doesn't quite mesh well, so rather, the phrase I've always seen is "Unnie didn't mean its".

In any case, my general assessment is that Kpop fans need to go outside more.

• only crazy fangirls do this that defend their faves against everything. it is annoying when ppl tell me i am a oppalogist just bcos they say hyunjin is guilty when he is not.

well hes guilty of being hot

• I feel like only oppalogists are mad at the term oppalogists, and the comment above proves again why I said 99%. The amount of blind defensive and obsession toward idols is on a cult level, and quite honestly oppolgists isn't even half as bad as some stans deserve.

And as for the term being gendered, regardless of it's use in Korean, I've always used in reference to boy group stans be them male or female. When it comes to girl group fans the word "apologist" doesn't quite mesh well, so rather, the phrase I've always seen is "Unnie didn't mean its".

I have no problem admitting some of my faves are trash and call out their terrible behaviour (hell I like BB but the group is a mess, especially the asshole Seungri) but still don't like the term for reasons I've mentioned above ...you're saying 99% deserve it but that's just your take on the situation, my take is it's being overused and it fuels cancel culture which I still find to be a bigger evil than so called oppalogists

I've literally never seen anybody use "unnie didn't mean it" and I've been into k-pop for 7 years but even if it's used it'd still be deragotary only towards female fans as it is again females who use the term unnie in Korean, it's noona for males

In any case I agree with your general assessment :pepe-hehe:

Don't use a troll to prove a point, It's not worth it. :aespa48:

• I got called that on another platform and literally about the Kim Seonho situation ^^ but I didn't care, the story 100% didn't match up with things. hate the term though, it's so misogynistic and annoying.

yup, but the more we dislike it the more ppl will use it to attack </3

• There are plenty of female idols that fuck up royally but they have plenty of fans of both genders defending them to this day. However the term unnilogist gets thrown around far less even satirically in comparison to oppalogist.

There's so many layers of sexism cuz it suggest female fans are mindless devotees that'll do anything to defend their "oppa". In reality you will find the same defensiveness amongst fandoms of sports fans or even political right wing parties that tend to be male dominated. Womens interests especially teenage girls interests are mocked so much. It's crazy.

It’s sexist and only thrown into the room when fans defend a male celebrity… you don’t see people giving fans any label when they do the same defending female celebrities.

It implies that girls can’t think rationally when it’s about their male faves… it’s even more ridiculous when people who cry about sexism towards female BG fans use this term to belittle the opinion of other women….

this x2

Desbundar

• There are plenty of female idols that fuck up royally but they have plenty of fans of both genders defending them to this day. However the term unnilogist gets thrown around far less even satirically in comparison to oppalogist.

There's so many layers of sexism cuz it suggest female fans are mindless devotees that'll do anything to defend their "oppa". In reality you will find the same defensiveness amongst fandoms of sports fans or even political right wing parties that tend to be male dominated. Womens interests especially teenage girls interests are mocked so much. It's crazy.

this x2

Because if you say "Unniologist" nobody is going to know what the heck you are talking about. honestly sounds like some medical jargon. The whole point of "Oppalogist" is that it's a homophone for "Appologist".

There Just isn't a good equivalent of oppalogist for female group fans. And even if there were, other than being accused of being a feminist or dating, female idols statistically are involved in less scandals than male idols, so naturally, even if there was a proper equivalent, it wouldn't get the chance to popularize.

And no, I don't think this has anything to do with sexism, just in case it that wasn't clear to anyone.

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!