Just curious, is there a girl group with the same respect and legacy in Korea like Snsd?

• So, two girl groups are selling more than Snsd ever did. Aespa is on the rise too and I'm thinking, Savage will have better overall sales than any Snsd Korean album.

However, if we talk respect, image and legacy among the Korean GP, I don't know if there's a group that has had it yet.

Snsd was considered a culture in Korea ever since they became a NGG. They were considered very important to the Korean culture like kimchi etc

Discuss!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Let's try not to downplay or discredit any group while at it.

Thank you.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Is hard to say this since I'm not korean, but based on posts from koreans, I don't think so.

External Content www.youtube.com

• I wonder too.

Coz when we talking about respect for SNSD, we talkin' about Respect in Singing, Respect in Dancing, Respect for each members etc. Coz tbh their reputation is so high.

• No. Like i said many time in the past thread. The only k-group that korean accepted to be called as national treasure now is only BTS. But i hope aespa join the list too. And BP too. Idk about RV but their perform in North Korea is kinda huge too.

• Depends on the age group.

Snsd debuted as teenagers. They were aged 16-18 and they attracted fans from all age groups from elementary school kids to old people. That's one of the things that made them stand out the most and shoot to NGG status.

• The only group I think could come close is Twice and maybe SES for the elder generation in Korea :nervousk:

Why do you think so?

• Twice, SES, Finkl, probably the Wonder Girls. BP soon. Every generation is gonna have their own top girl group. It may look or manifest differently but you can't really compare with the times

Wonder Girls were the NGG before Snsd so they don't count.

And, if you look at each group's success in their generations without comparing generations, do you think there's a group like Snsd?

• No. Like i said many time in the past thread. The only k-group that korean accepted to be called as national treasure now is only BTS. But i hope aespa join the list too. And BP too. Idk about RV but their perform in North Korea is kinda huge too.

Red Velvet wasn't meant to be a national kind of group so they don't count.

However, their individual member talent and discography can be compared to that of Snsd. In fact, Red Velvet is trying to do it like Snsd only that they aren't as successful as Snsd.

• 2NE1 i guess but hard to say, we can't speak for koreans. :pepefrog:

I agree 2ne1 is that group that'd have been the Twice to Black Pink but they were sadly mismanaged so that alone cut their potential off.

• Impact wise, the only groups who i think surpassed SNSD are STB and BTS.(what is this creepy coincidence?)

Yes, i put SNSD above every other group apart from these 2 both of whom are Bgs. So we can conclude that no GGs had the same impact as SNSD.

Ps: STB = Seo taji and boys.

• Wonder Girls were the NGG before Snsd so they don't count.

And, if you look at each group's success in their generations without comparing generations, do you think there's a group like Snsd?

Why wouldn't Wonder Girls count?

SES, Finkl were the hitmakers of their generation with several members leading incredibly successful solo careers. They're still incredibly beloved today. Twice has an incredibly high hit record and could do really well when they finally attempt solo works. They're even in SK textbooks

Every group is different and behaves differently. A group doesn't have to be an exact mimic of SNSD to have a long lasting legacy or impact

• From what I heard they will have special place in people's heart

External Content www.youtube.com

• none yet since the current top groups are still active...

a group becomes legendary and or iconic or whatever once they start slowing down or disbanded...

we only talk about groups/soloists that are legendary mainly once their time has past no?

ie. Michael Jackson is legendary - HOT is legandary...

• Not really no.

SNSD werent only damn popular and successful as an idol group they were part of Korean pop culture. They endorsed everything from food to high end tech, constantly on TV shows, regularly made the national news, representated/blacked by Korea at national events and so on. Even within the idol industry a ton of ggs exist directly or indirectly because of SNSD, that's how influential they are. Transcending your own particular field and becoming part of the greater populations psyche is the ultimate expression of how popular someone is.

Just look at them now, 14 years later. Their appearance on TV had huge ratings, toped search rankings and took over top spots on never entertainment section. That was only a simple random 1 off appearance.

In the UK we've had plenty of popular ggs with the latest being little mix (lol their scandal) but no one will ever displace Spice Girls and their influence upon the public. The phrase "girl power" alone carries a lot of weight and instantly reminds people who the Spice girls were.

It's not just limited to music, applies to any field. Lewandowski and Modric are 2 players I bet most non football fans won't know even though they've been awarded best player in the world in recent times. But I'm sure a ton of people know of Messi and Ronaldo outside football because of not only how beyond amazing they are in football but also their numerous individual ventures like endorsements and branding. Ronaldo in particular is arguably the most famous person in the world as a result

• Tvxq are literally called "Gods of Kpop" they saved the kpop industry, if SNSD exist is thanks to TVXQ.

Tvxq started in 2003, your gallup start in 2009.

Gods of kpop? That's seo taji. The one who literally created the kpop genre. Tvxq were called the "rising gods of east" because that's the literal translation of their group name.

Also who told you Gallup started in 2009?

Gallup was founded in 1974 and have been doing surveys before 2009. tvxq's peak was 2008 (mitotic era), they were 8th that year.

• Why wouldn't Wonder Girls count?

SES, Finkl were the hitmakers of their generation with several members leading incredibly successful solo careers. They're still incredibly beloved today. Twice has an incredibly high hit record and could do really well when they finally attempt solo works. They're even in SK textbooks

Every group is different and behaves differently. A group doesn't have to be an exact mimic of SNSD to have a long lasting legacy or impact

Because Wonder girls were a NGG. Which means they were huge as well. I am talking about groups that debuted after Snsd.

Twice is really huge and huger than Snsd today but I'm not sure if they ever had an impact like that of Snsd in Korea. For example, at one point, Snsd outsold all groups in Korea, boy groups inclusive. And, Snsd members are centuries ahead as individuals and other things.

And it's funny when you talk about mimicking when JYP created Twice because he wanted his own Snsd. Twice was made using an Snsd like formula.

• Im pretty sure FinKL has a huge legacy in korea, I mean Hyori alone is a legacy too

Hyori is insanely iconic. She's one of a kind.

• And it's funny when you talk about mimicking when JYP created Twice because he wanted his own Snsd. Twice was made using an Snsd like formula.

This has always been a dumb take, if you know anything about Twice.

Originally meant to be 7 members, being almost half non-Korean and debuting with a teen crush concept and plenty of individuality in styling, what about any of that says SNSD

• Because Wonder girls were a NGG. Which means they were huge as well. I am talking about groups that debuted after Snsd.

Twice is really huge and huger than Snsd today but I'm not sure if they ever had an impact like that of Snsd in Korea. For example, at one point, Snsd outsold all groups in Korea, boy groups inclusive. And, Snsd members are centuries ahead as individuals and other things.

And it's funny when you talk about mimicking when JYP created Twice because he wanted his own Snsd. Twice was made using an Snsd like formula.

That’s not really a valid point about sales. Kpop is bigger now than it ever was and sales is from all over the world while your question is about Korea. SNSD selling as much as their BG counterpart is not real justification to them being bigger or not from current GGs. Simply because the kpop landscape that contributes to sales is very different.

There is one sure shot way to know who is bigger in Korea : Who had the bigger concerts.

Digitals or sales and everything else is not comparable because sales is world over and digital landscape changed a lot. Tho I think digitals is a better measure for comparison than sales. Because at least we know that’s all from Korea.

So which is the GG with the biggest con in Korea does anyone know :pepepizza:

• I don't think so, snsd is legendary in Korea and is still very respected till this day. Every group nowadays sells so much so we can't look at things that way, snsd had the most impact. I'm not even a fan but it is true.

Drop some moneY

erosezgif-com-gif-maker.gif896e43bc70930fa93538987bcf98568f828dbdc4.gifv 4ed3672a47d5a1db609af94f6965ecb4df788778.gifv 1569dce42941a2054232901ca03faba39b1d1fb5.gifverosezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

• I like how BTS climbed the list. They have worked so hard

They’re insane for achieving all that as a non big 3 idol group

Tvxq are literally called "Gods of Kpop" they saved the kpop industry, if SNSD exist is thanks to TVXQ.

Tvxq started in 2003, your gallup start in 2009.

Naur it’s true, BoA/DBSK opened the gates to the Japanese market marking the first Hallyu wave and Kpop would’ve never survived financially knowing that Kpop companies heavily relied on those ¥¥¥. SM was on the verge of bankruptcy in the early 00’s, courtesy to BoA/DBSK’s Japanese advancement, the company is still up and running till this moment. If SeoTaiji&Boys were the flagship artist for Kpop and H.O.T shaped the idol group model, then BoA/DBSK were the most crucial figures for making it all last financially and responsible for expanding Kpop market. That Nissan stadium concert they held is still shocking.

tumblr_mrx4p0z5K41s7smn3o4_250.gif

While DBSK focused more on music, SNSD did a little bit of everything from Radio hosting, TV appearances, 9 members booked and busy in all different fields etc ig that’s why Korea favored them more.

• This thread contains 17 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!