[KINGDOM REVIEW] '물감놀이 - Playing with Paint' by 3RACHA (Stray Kids), Hongjoong (ATEEZ) and Minhyuk (BTOB)

• Reviewing KINGDOM 'NO LIMIT' 물감놀이 Stage

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Without further ado, I'll jump right into the review!

Right off the bat, the highlight of this performance is the undoubtedly the unrivalled chemistry between the members of the Mayfly rap unit. With unit songs, it's difficult for there to be cohesion, especially since differing idol groups have certain styles or quirks that only work with their group. However, with the Mayfly unit, it's remarkably easy to see that is an incredible chemistry between the members; with the way all members groove at the start together, the way they share confident glances and the way that their voices compliment, never overbearing.

The song begins with a clear message delivered by introductinary hook - 'paint with music', and 'spray' it everywhere. 물감놀이 translates to 'playing with colours' and with that title, it's easy to understand the vibe the unit is going for - it's meant to be playful, but impactful and it is exactly that as the song transitions from the chanting chorus to the first verse. Changbin's aggressive flow carries with wave of the hook's energy and he begins by stating that he has 'no limits, coloured like a rainbow'. This not only alludes to the message of the track with themes regarding anti-discrimination against minorities and the collaboration between members of different groups - different colours in the metaphor - but also refers to being versatile, never sticking to one sound but mixing them all together to get a final impactful final result.

Changbin also uses a paintbrush to playfully paint alongside a painting of a rainbow, showing that he isn't afraid the break the order of things because mixing everything together can only be more fun and enjoyable. His lyrics make multiple references to artists and poets. The first is a reference to Picasso whom he refers to as 'a god of art' which is significant due to Picasso's art style which was ground-breaking for it's highly unusual colour combinations and interesting shapes and therefore, in the context of the track, Changbin implies that being like Picasso, putting out a mix of colour and shape, is something that is truly to be aimed for. As we've established, the entire track uses the metaphor of painting and colour to refer to diversity and it's celebration and support for it.

After Changbin, Hongjoong starts his own verse mentioning that 'there's not a bad colour in this world' and that people should 'close their mouths', if they believe otherwise - a clear message towards people who discriminate. Furthermore, Hongjoong extends the metaphor stating that we should 'mix all the colours together', and that people shouldn't 'leave any out' because the overall 'painting' - which refers to society as a whole in the context of the song - is still 'refined' even when 'mixed carelessly'. In the last lines of his verse Hongjoong makes another clear statement: 'Who's still trying to make colours match? It's lame, bring me more colours!' , which shows the Mayfly teams' inclusion towards all people and rejects the idea that people should be put into boxes and matched with certain people and not others.

After another Hook ends with both Changbin and Hongjoong chanting their mantra, Han's rap begins. When rapping, he's surrounding by a group of artist who seem to be painting pictures of the members of the unit, but with the colours changed and inverted to become a wild mix. In his rap, Han says that he's 'got to be a great artist' but if he's going to be an artist, he's going to be like 'Vincent Van Gogh' who most 'importantly' is an 'expressionist'. This is some really creative word play as he not only refers to the expressionist art movement, directed towards presenting art from a subjective standpoint, evoking emotions and moods through usage of various colour and stroke, but also literally translates to 'being cautious of what you express', again implying that as they 'paint with music' it is important to be cautious of the message you spread with it, as being an influencer, being an 'artist', comes with that responsibility.

When Han's verse ends, it's Bang Chan's verse and without a doubt, it's probably his verse that really solidifies with message of the track. He begins his rap surrounded by people wearing white masks. By now, it's important to understand the significance of the colour white in the performance. Here, I'd like to commend Hongjoong for the stage design (as far as I'm aware, he was responsible for the large majority of the ideas for the stage design). because the colour choices for this stage are incredibly thoughtful. White is the basis for all colours, with colours all splitting from white light. It represents unity between all colours and in this performance, like established before, unity between people.

Chan's verse begins with him stating that it's 'Renaissance 2021'. This again refers to an art movement following the Middle Age Crisis and the transition between the middle ages and modernity which accounted towards a large social change, much like the many references to 'social' topics in the track. Chan goes onto to say that it 'doesn't matter, black, brown, pink, yellow or white, all the colours of the world, all united, we ignite'. This lyric refers to the entire concept of the song, mixing everything together makes a powerful statement which in the wider ramifications of the song represents that diversity and being united with diversity is powerful.

The hook is then sung by all members of the team, excluding Minhyuk who comes with the final verse right after.

In his verse, perhaps the most impactful lyric wise, Minhyuk starts off by establishing his experience in the industry 'a zombie...painting for ten years straight' and then proceeds to state that the manner he's survived so long in it is due to his 'skills and not blaming tools'. Here, Minhyuk suggests that he uses his full potential and doesn't limit himself with tools, again, referring to the topic of this round 'no limit'. Minhyuk proceeds to state that '[the members of the group] are all dyed as [they] play' on their track, reinforcing that even though they are all diverse, are all from different groups, they blend together like paint, and create something impactful, together.

Then he makes a very clear statement, saying that the group will 'track down and chew out', people who 'divide by colour', again alluding to the tracks' anti-discrimination message. He goes onto say that they make 'art, no matter how [they] spray [their colours]' and that they'll continue 'playing on [their] canvas', this refers to them all making music, no matter what the songs sound like and that they'll continue being diverse with their music and spreading to others (paint referring to their music and canvas, to their audience).

Finally, Minhyuk finishes his verse, stating that everyone 'bleeds the same colour'. There is not a clearer message in the track - everyone, no matter their

differences, is of the same importance, value and beauty.

With those final words, the hook plays once more and this time, the members dance in a cloud of colour, embracing diversity.

Overall, I can say with certainty, no matter what others may claim, this performance was something completely unique, skilful and impactful. I can say that it is no wonder they won this round with a message this strikingly beautiful.

Once again, kudos to all the members for their involvement; this performance would not be the same without anyone's absence. And with that, this review is concluded!

If there's any typos, I'm so sorry, I wrote the large majority of this at night lol.

Edited 2 times, last by kidsgonestray ().

• if it's a kidsgonestray article, first you give a like/heart, comment, then you read the masterpiece.

:pepelove2: :pepe-toast:

Flattery will get you anywhere and everywhere!

• Beautiful and well written! And I think you should take this shit to the news side and shove it up their asses. Because clearly they missed this message. You write beautiful and I'm glad you put this out there. Bobby's team did a cover song and re-wrote it and arranged it in their own way. Mayfly literally sat there and wrote this from the ground up. This is pure talent, whether they used props, danced, put on a show, the message was clear. I may be biased, but even if I wasn't a fan of these groups. They deserved the win. It was no limit and the other team could have done much more.

The other team felt lack luster. The chemistry wasn't there. Yes, they put on a good performance, yes their rapping was great, I listened to the song multiple times. I really did enjoy it. However, Mayfly had a purpose, and a story they told. I think they showed their skills in arrangement, composing, and writing. All 5 of them. Their chemistry was undeniably beautiful. They had fun. People really need to take a step back and realize what went on here.

I am just tired of seeing some very negative and salty comments, not only towards the "rookies" who I can prove actually compose, write and arrange their own music, but also towards these two groups who in their own right were amazing.

• Beautiful and well written! And I think you should take this shit to the news side and shove it up their asses. Because clearly they missed this message. You write beautiful and I'm glad you put this out there. Bobby's team did a cover song and re-wrote it and arranged it in their own way. Mayfly literally sat there and wrote this from the ground up. This is pure talent, whether they used props, danced, put on a show, the message was clear. I may be biased, but even if I wasn't a fan of these groups. They deserved the win. It was no limit and the other team could have done much more.

The other team felt lack luster. The chemistry wasn't there. Yes, they put on a good performance, yes their rapping was great, I listened to the song multiple times. I really did enjoy it. However, Mayfly had a purpose, and a story they told. I think they showed their skills in arrangement, composing, and writing. All 5 of them. Their chemistry was undeniably beautiful. They had fun. People really need to take a step back and realize what went on here.

I am just tired of seeing some very negative and salty comments, not only towards the "rookies" who I can prove actually compose, write and arrange their own music, but also towards these two groups who in their own right were amazing.

I'm trembling at the thought of posting this there lol. I wonder if allkpop will even approve it as an article though? Do review articles still exist? Lol, you can see how disconnected I am from the other side.

• I'm trembling at the thought of posting this there lol. I wonder if allkpop will even approve it as an article though? Do review articles still exist? Lol, you can see how disconnected I am from the other side.

Yes they do, but i will warn you once you do you will get slander, because people will find a reason to hate your article and accuse ateez and stray kids of paying their way through kingdom which is one of the biggest sack of shits being said right now. here's the biggest article i'm referring to so you can see what i mean.

I am being insulted and downvoted to hell for defending rookies and mayfly's performance:

https://www.allkpop.com/video/…rformance-current-ranking

• Yes they do, but i will warn you once you do you will get slander, because people will find a reason to hate your article and accuse ateez and stray kids of paying their way through kingdom which is one of the biggest sack of shits being said right now. here's the biggest article i'm referring to so you can see what i mean.

I am being insulted and downvoted to hell for defending rookies and mayfly's performance:

https://www.allkpop.com/video/…rformance-current-ranking

Currently debating if it's worth the risk. Honestly, I just want more people to read and understand. If even one person starts to understand and appreciates the performance, that's enough for me. It's not about converting the haters, it's about impacting people emotionally.

• The lyrics are incredible.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Don't mind me, I'm just a lurker.

I had to cross reference multiple sources because apparently, there's so much wordplay that everyone has their own interpretations of it!

• Currently debating if it's worth the risk. Honestly, I just want more people to read and understand. If even one person starts to understand and appreciates the performance, that's enough for me. It's not about converting the haters, it's about impacting people emotionally.

Of course, i wish people would take the time to understand the message they gave they didn't go out there with some re-arranged cover, they literally wrote and gave a message and it bothers me that people are just so salty.

• First, I want to say I love reading your well-written and amazing reviews! I love the way you know how to put in words exactly the message that the art want to pass!

I wan to add something that I was keeping in my mind during the whole moment I was reading the thread. People always want to talk about technical rap skills such a 'delivery', 'flow', 'vocalization', 'timing', 'rhytimical district' and more to downplay other people's skills or raise their favorites... than sometimes they forget the basis of what Hip-Hop culture and being a real rapper really represents the most. It's using your voice to deliver a message to the world, to express your ideologies and feelings towards yourself and the society. It's using your voice to try to make a difference!

And I think more than just skills, they made lyrics and a whole performance based on what Hip-Hop represents in my opinion. This is bigger than win a program, a round and a battle. And It just warms my heart knowing that they came with the idea together!

It's a really well-deserved win.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

I need this on Studio :pepe-sad:

• Forget the performance, I have become your fan. Such a detailed review highlighting each points and explaining it in depth. Normally I don't read such long posts but your threads are exception.

Now back to Mayfly's perf, it was amazing and all members shined on their own, never once I felt like they're from different teams, their chemistry was off the charts and I'm lost at words to praise 3racha, such talented bunch, JYP hit platinum having them in his company.

• Exactly!

Hell, even the technicalities of the stage were equal and maybe even better. Changbin's vocalization for one, is incredible like always, the sound is projected so well and balancing that with his gritty tone is technically difficult and could even potentially be damaging to his vocal folds if done incorrectly. He switches flows on more than three separate occasions and has a great alliteration/onomatopoeia scheme towards the end. Fluidity wise, the transition between the hook and the verse is great and he's able to accommodate the variations in the instrumental like nobody's buisness. Lyrically, his rap is witty and littered with metaphors and wordplay. Delivery is great too!

Hongjoong fluidity is great, even with a slower flow - the contrast between Changbin's aggressive flow and Hongjoong's more laid back one towards the beginning of the verse makes for an engaging track. He's able to project well and complement the track. Again, lyrically, his verse is stunning with clear messages.

Han's versatility shines in his rap here going from flow to flow, with a great scheme and clear projection. I like his vocal inflictions too, they really make his verse stand out.

Chan's autotuned verse also quite engaging - he has a clear scheme, simple flow, but good delivery and impact. It's fluidity is amazing though.

Minhyuk delivery is gorgeous and his projection is great too! He has some solids flows, complex lyrics and great diction.

I feel like the let down with the other team was fluidity; sure, there were good flows and lyrics but the arrangement clashed with their raps and that let me down.

• The one thing i want to say is...I wonder how much MORE this would have been through the roof if Mingi Participated.

Mingi is unofficially back, and I can just imagine, how much he'd add to this. Mingi and Hong are amazing rappers in Ateez, but Mingi is off the charts. He's unique and amazing!

I love Chan's vocals and I sometimes forget he's partially a rapper with 3 racha, sometimes I don't like autotune I think it ruins stuff, but it worked here, it didn't hinder anything at all.

Changbin is just breath taking, he's witty, he's quick and he's a pleasure to watch.

Han...what can i say, this man can sing, this man can rap, all of 3 racha have amazing looks. I love how diverse he is..

Minhyuk...I love him...because of kingdom i'm now a btob fan and I've went back and watched his solo work and he's just incredible. He came out like a boss, and I love that everyone on Mayfly is so respectful of each other. He didn't come out all arrogant and acting better then everyone. I love that about him!

• When an already great review gets a thoughtful add on, you know its a quality thread

:pepe-toast::pepe-toast:

• Long story short about our statements: THEY SERVED :pepe-sad:

• Mingi is unofficially back, and I can just imagine, how much he'd add to this. Mingi and Hong are amazing rappers in Ateez, but Mingi is off the charts. He's unique and amazing!

I love Chan's vocals and I sometimes forget he's partially a rapper with 3 racha, sometimes I don't like autotune I think it ruins stuff, but it worked here, it didn't hinder anything at all.

You know, I can totally imagine Mingi doing something amazing with the Hook and the intro alongside Changbin. I feel like their styles compliment each other a lot since Mingi utilizes a more smooth tone in his rap that would balance out Changbin's grit. Would totally be an interesting mix!

Autotune is both a blessing and a curse. Here it's a blessing - I feel like it really added to his rap, it ended up complimenting the instrumental so well!

• WOW RAY! You gave me realize some really good points about this song and how it actually gives a message of hope and respect, especially considering the incidents and violence happening lately.

The whole message of Minhyuk made me instantly think about the hate crimes toward Asians and Asian Americans in America. "We bleed the same color" was such a beautiful line. That's what everyone should think first before thinking about discriminating someone for whatever reason: race, ethnicity, sexual identity, gender, etc.

As a whole, the song has a great message against discrimination and a celebration of diversity.

This makes me appreciate the music and the guys even more.

Also, what a brilliant guy is Hongjoong, for real! This performance had so much impact and his ideas were simply AMAZING! His lines also left a strong impact on me! He's a very good rapper!

Thank you so much for this!

• You know, I can totally imagine Mingi doing something amazing with the Hook and the intro alongside Changbin. I feel like their styles compliment each other a lot since Mingi utilizes a more smooth tone in his rap that would balance out Changbin's grit. Would totally be an interesting mix!

Autotune is both a blessing and a curse. Here it's a blessing - I feel like it really added to his rap, it ended up complimenting the instrumental so well!

Us Michelins (and xx-jenn-xx) serving some quality statements on allkpop!

I used to ult stray kids before I found Ateez, and 3 racha were my loves LOL. Sorry Stray Kids LOL. I have mad respect for stray kids and I don't think ill of them at all. Of course i'm a bit biased when it comes to ateez, and think every thing they do is amazing, but i can appreciate some talent.

As i said on another thread, Ateez knew what they were doing picking stray kids and btob for this round.

All that's left is the vocal, now I know that the other team has more for a vocal unit, but I am waiting for the hair to stand up everywhere on my body to hear Eunkwang and Jongho belting. I don't know much about the stray kids person who will be with them (lee know was it?) I don't remember his vocals...however, i expect something magical.

• I thought the same what you did in the Spoiler, but I didn't find the proper words to explain, so thank you for this!

• I don't know much about the stray kids person who will be with them (lee know was it?) I don't remember his vocals...however, i expect something magical.

It's Seungmin! I can give you some covers of his because boy has improved so much during the past year that even I'm struggling to digest it!

• It's Seungmin! I can give you some covers of his because boy has improved so much during the past year that even I'm struggling to digest it!

oof seungmin ugh i should remember their names *face palms* I'LL LISTEN!

• Lol, I just realized I never published a review for 'I'll Be Your Man'...

• Lol, I just realized I never published a review for 'I'll Be Your Man'...

God I love that song lol. it's the first song that I found for BTOB and i just love it

It was refreshing to see Stray Kids version of it.

I laughed though when the boyz tried to do SF9's K.O choreography, you have NO IDEA how bad i wanted a group to do K.O to see if they could pull it off.

Also seungmin's vocals are beautiful!

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!