What caused such a insane decline in itzy's first week album sales???

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Previous album's first week sales

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I could understand that they are not charting because koreans didn't liked the song but why such a massive decline in sales?

• well they've debuted and promoted in 2019

then they promoted in 2020

then they promoted in 2021

then they promoted in 2022

then they promoted in 2023

now they are promoting in 2024

I guess this sums it up

+ it's JYP's fault because they always do those pre-releases, english singles, special somethings, and at the end of the day there wasn't even a single period of time when people could say "Oh I'm thirsty for new ITZY music" because you have the feeling that they are always around

External Content www.youtube.com

• 1st Week Sales

• 1. High interest rates. People have to pay more money for mortgage payments, so they have less money for albums.

2. Unemployed rate is rising, so people have to use more money for basic needs and less for albums

3. People probably want to spend more money on touring after covid than albums. Albums are pretty useless after all.

4. Lia is missing. Some Lia fans probably don't wanna support the group without Lia.

5. Their previous comeback were not very successful, which make them probably lost hype on this one.

6. More competition. There is newer groups to stan, so some people probably moved into next group.

• Album sales are gonna start declining for all kpop groups. Hard times are coming

This is true. Last year alone the Chinese Kpop market, which was the primary market driving the album boom, dropped by 50% in total spend.

So it's gonna be safe to assume groups doing less digipacks, less versions, less fan events and with the massive decline in one of the major album buying markets we're going to see a continued decline in album sales for most groups

In fact it would be more suspicious now if groups didn't drop albums, the market dictates they should be.

• Their previous comeback were not very successful, which make them probably lost hype on this one

This isn't about ITZY but it applies to everyone.

A lot of people are like oh the songs aren't good blah blah but songs affect charting yes.

But I feel current albums sales are not really due to the performance or the songs of the current comeback but instead affected by the previous comeback. It depends on how many fans you get from your previous comeback and how many you lost after

Like you don't buy an album (or I think most people at least) because you love the comeback but because you were already a fan before the comeback. And the current comeback will determine if you are still a fan and whether or not you are still going to buy the next albim

• What country are you in that unemployment is raising?

• I say let's wait for a month before we judge their sales.

I mean we are comparing 1st week sales across their discography.

• What country are you in that unemployment is raising?

Pretty much everywhere. Worst of all is probably in China

External Content youtu.be

• Pretty much everywhere. Worst of all is probably in China

External Content youtu.be

Meh, over here statistically we have all time low unemployment (USA).

• This album just have 6 versions while 4 are normal-priced (3 standard, 1 limited) and 2 nemo plataform ver.

It's not comparable to Kill My Doubt that has 4 standards, 1 limited, 5 digipacks, 5 cassettes, 5 special edition (bom ver)

^

This means less cheap versions, less photocards, less videocalls/fansigns directly to specific versions (what JYP does a lot).

It doesn't help Lia isn't there.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• There over. Has been’s. It wouldn’t matter if Nmixx was doing better, but without Nmixx taking off, JYP basically has to HOPE their BG after SKZ does well, or the company is gonna be in a flop era.

• Europe and U.S. sales were NOT released yet. Also JYPE is slowly sending out the shipments. It will rise higher next month.

• Why not? Is this the case for other groups?

It's something going on in China where their is a clamp down on bulk buying...i dont think it's fans but more to do with the government. It's a lot more difficult for c-bars to stack the insane numbers they were in 2022 and early 2023.

Overall the whole kpop album buying market in China dropped by 50% last year and continues to go down.

• Re - China

It's not a clamp down per se.

It's economic circumstances, and many (smaller) bars can't get discount links, so they sit out or buy much lower quantities. (G)I-DLE are coming back and 3 of their bars couldn't get discount links so aren't participating in the pre-order through their bar.

Only 2 bars I know have have boycotted - Karina Bar and Yuqi Bar. For Itzy, a confluence of events, including their general popular decline., but economic circumstances would have contributed. That said, I wasn't aware Itzy was overly huge in China, my impression they don't have much of their proportion of sales from the Chinese Market

Europe and U.S. sales were NOT released yet. Also JYPE is slowly sending out the shipments. It will rise higher next month.

I've seen this said often, but I think there's a huge misunderstanding.

Yes, the US release is delayed - this is the domestic US distribution. Example rocking up to Walmart or Target in the US and buying an Itzy album off the shelf.

People oversease ordering Itzy albums from Korean sellers (ie Ktown4u, Makestar etc) are perfectly fine. Furthermore, the sales listed in the thread are Hanteo sales, which rarely count for domestic distribution US/EU sales anyway (and certainly not anywhere near the gap of 500k)

The long term discrepancy between Hanteo and Circle for Itzy (and many JYP groups) is their Hanteo sales are the Korean (or Korean distrubtion based) retail sales, whereas the Circle is their stock shipment, including stock shipments to other Countries for erstwhile domestic distribution in that country. So their Sneakers album sold 600k Hanteo but 1 million Circle - because the 1 million circle includes the US/EU shipments for domestic sales (which would be counted retail as Billboard for US and the respective countries for EU).

So people going on about how US for Itzy is delayed is true - but that has no affect on Hanteo sales. Those US sales will be Billboard focused.

• They don't. China contributed with only 100k for Kill My Doubt.

Exactly. China sales which are insignificant.

318,693 (1st week) + 110,000 (China) = 428,693

Where is the other 400,000 or 50%?

• Kill My Doubt is their previous album, they got +100k from C-bars and the album got +820k first week. What I meant is that China was never a significant market for ITZY anyway, their decline in sales, specifically, has nothing to do with China as stated during the thread.

• Weird.

Not exo tho. They had their best performing year last year inclusive of Chinese sales lol.

IMO a lot of these groups have a fraction of the popularity exo do in China but their fans were bulk buying a great deal… leading to the current situation.

But anyway unless I see 17 sales drop I won’t blv we’ve reached the climax of kpop sales boom. Itzy were just always on a downward trajectory imo and this isn’t indicative of the broader sales situation in Kpop.

• it's first week sales by a group that has a member on hiatus + declining in popularity for a while. it doesn't help that their music haven't been well received post loco era. their album sales have potential to grow but i doubt we'll see any significant growth, what a shame.

• i speak for all midzies when i say we wont be buying the album if they keep releasing horrible songs!!!

i'm so tired of itzy not charting!!!!!!!!

let us stand together midzies!! let's band together!

LET'S SUPPORT NMIXX AND TWICE INSTEAD!!!!

GO JUNGKOOK!

• These are digital album sales in China. Not the physical album bought by C bars..

• This thread contains 11 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!