Being an unpopular member must suck so bad.

• Recently IVE got me thinking with this whole NOBODY situation. They have 6 members and chose to send the most popular one which I get as a business decision but at the same time. Imagine you're in a group and two of your members come from a very popular former group, and they come into the group with years of experience and individual fandoms. Then the company pushes those two the most. What can you even do to catch up? Le Sserafim is the same but with them I hear about the other members as well, yes there's a popularity gap especially with Sakura. But it makes sense considering Sakura has been a very popular idol for 12 years in 3 extremely popular groups. But overall, I hear about the other members often. I also see them often, Eun-Chae does a bunch of stuff, Kazuha has photoshoots and CF, Yun-jin has made several solo songs.

With IVE I only hear about Wonyoung the most, then Yujin, Liz I only hear about when they're body shaming her. The rest? Gaeul and Leeseo are still the same person for me, neither of them stands out, neither does Rei. And I have followed this group since their debut. I am not a super close stan (but then again I am not like that for any group) but I do regularly watch the performances and listen to their songs. Being an unpopular member is a catch 22. On one hand the company makes more money by promoting the popular one but on the other how can you get more popular without promotion?

• Bloom-of-Alfea

Changed the title of the thread from “Being an unpopular members must suck so bad.” to “Being an unpopular member must suck so bad.”.
  • There will always be an unfairness of popularity for every group, but the post produce groups suffer the most. Esp IVE. Leeseo is actually quite popular, and all the 6 members have big fandoms, BUT Wonyoung and Yujin are obviously way more popular than the other members.

I believe some Idols are happy abt being one of the less popular members bc that means theres less attention on them, but in general... All of them are pretty, talented and worked equally hard, so they should get the recognition they deserve.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• With Liz it's worse, she is the main vocal and somehow barely appears on the MVs

Yea, sometimes she gets the most lines in a song, but her screentime is almost always extremely low

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles...

life isn't fair and sometimes you can work your butt off and still not achieve a tiny fraction of the success of someone else...

and success begets success...people always say it's hardest to make your first bucket of gold...but once you do the second third fourth comes easier

it's no different than kpop...whether individually or as a group...

and yes sometimes it is the company's fault but other times the cfs just don't want the "lesser popular members"

I mean look at it from the cf company's perspective - of course they'd prefer the popular members - that's just basic marketing...and we don't know if behind the scenes if the lesser popular members are being pushed or advocated for but the cf companies and producers just don't want them...

• You guys only say this because Wonyoung is the most popular 4th gen idol. The unfairness in popularity would be real if she was in any group other than IVE.

If you follow Ive you know that both Gaeul and Leeseo went viral in After Like and Eleven era respectively. And they are the least popular members in Ive. Rei is the only idol besides Lisa to be on the cover of Vogue Japan. Yujin is the 4th idol with most cfs and endorsements. The only one who get the shorter end of the stick is Liz and unfortunately we all know why. And she was easily the most popular member in debut era besides Wy+Yj.

That's more than members from other groups have.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• You guys only say this because Wonyoung is the most popular 4th gen idol.

No, I don't. I am judging based on the members I see promoted and who I see around the most as a casual fan. That's it. I have nothing against Wonyoung and I understand that she's the most popular. Like I said in the post.

• Oddly Soyeon is the most unpopular in (G)I-DLE when it comes to Insta followers, fancam viewers, and solo album sales. She also receives the most hate from netizens.

Yet she's the center, the main producer, and the best female rapper in K-POP. Her stage presence is unmatched and she is also the highest earning member.

• Ive is ex-Izone and friends, but imho its starting to become Yujin and friends. Lets see.

Anyway, it isn't too bad. You just smile and pretend to be bff and you can buy a penthouse in gangnam when you retire. Look at Sunny.

• No, I don't. I am judging based on the members I see promoted and who I see around the most as a casual fan. That's it. I have nothing against Wonyoung and I understand that she's the most popular. Like I said in the post.

Read my entire post. Which other unpopular members in other kpop groups had the chances Ive "unpopular" members had?

JCsIq3Q.gif

• You guys only say this because Wonyoung is the most popular 4th gen idol. The unfairness in popularity would be real if she was in any group other than IVE.

If you follow Ive you know that both Gaeul and Leeseo went viral in After Like and Eleven era respectively. And they are the least popular members in Ive. Rei is the only idol besides Lisa to be on the cover of Vogue Japan. Yujin is the 4th idol with most cfs and endorsements. The only one who get the shorter end of the stick is Liz and unfortunately we all know why. And she was easily the most popular member in debut era besides Wy+Yj.

That's more than members from other groups have.

The problem is that Wonyoung is just way too popular, her popularity easily surpasses other groups (Yes, whole groups).

But if you watch the MVs, esp the recent ones, you can clearly see who Starship favors. Wonyoung and Yujin are always the top 2 in Screen Time Distributions. Always. If you go to news websites like Sooompi or K0reaboo, almost all recent articles are abt Wy and Yujin, occasionally it's another member.

And you really can't compare Leeseos and Gaeuls Viral moment to the way Wonyoung goes viral for EVERYTHING: Having long legs, having bangs, having blonde hair, eating a strawberry, eating pizza, dancing, singing, modeling, instagram pictures etc etc etc

If Starship would promote the other members more it would solve everything. But Starship wants and needs money, and they get it from Wy and Yj

• Well, if WY has a deal like Seolhyun, then I wouldn't mind being the least popular (Seolhyun's $$$ from individual promotions were evenly distributed to the entire group).

But also, Starship pays a big percentage to their artists, so, whatevs, ride on WY's popularity, collect that bag.

Yeah, if i were Rei, Liz, etc, i would be on my knees every day thanking the Lord that WY was in my group. Imagine how many idols and trainees never get to see the light of day, never get to make a single second of impact. We're talking countless thousands of trainees and nugu idols slaving away in some musty basement practice room, living 5 deep in roach infested tenement housing, standing around for hours in some depressing strip mall trying to drum up interest in their free concerts.

Because of WY and YJ, i was able to live in literal LUXURY PENTHOUSE condos as a literal rookie, i was able to debut #2 on Melon, to win daesangs one year into my career, i was able to get the opportunity to travel and perform in front of thousands, to be seen by millions, to appear on high end fashion mags, commercials for billion dollar franchises, have thousands of fans clamoring to get a hold of my PCs, have fans literally crying when they meet me...

Yeah, in the end, i highly doubt any of the rookie foursome are feeling sorry for themselves or feeling unloved. And if they do cry themselves to sleep at their lack of popularity, they're gonna be able to wipe their tears with hundred dollar bills courtesy of WY lol.

• I don’t see the problem. The way it was so easy for them since they had already two established members despite coming from a mid tier company, they’re apart of a group which sells million albums and have hits. So at the end of the day Wonyoung and Yujin would’ve always been the most popular since they have been in the industry longer.

Also instead of whining like a bitch all the time why y’all don’t stream the girls fancams, buy their merch, buy their individual albums, trend hashtags idk etc that’s how popularity works

• Yeah, if i were Rei, Liz, etc, i would be on my knees every day thanking the Lord that WY was in my group. Imagine how many idols and trainees never get to see the light of day, never get to make a single second of impact. We're talking countless thousands of trainees and nugu idols slaving away in some musty basement practice room, living 5 deep in roach infested tenement housing, standing around for hours in some depressing strip mall trying to drum up interest in their free concerts.

Because of WY and YJ, i was able to live in literal LUXURY PENTHOUSE condos as a literal rookie, i was able to debut #2 on Melon, to win daesangs one year into my career, i was able to get the opportunity to travel and perform in front of thousands, to be seen by millions, to appear on high end fashion mags, commercials for billion dollar franchises, have thousands of fans clamoring to get a hold of my PCs, have fans literally crying when they meet me...

Yeah, in the end, i highly doubt any of the rookie foursome are feeling sorry for themselves or feeling unloved. And if they do cry themselves to sleep at their lack of popularity, they're gonna be able to wipe their tears with hundred dollar bills courtesy of WY lol.

bphouse the wizone head of boycott when ive was announced.

• The way he was crying about it everyday, said they’d flop, he’d never support them (despite pushing 50) now he Stans them to spit on other groups

oh did he?i didnt join early enough. that's just the vibe he gives when it comes to wy and yj

• Yeah, if i were Rei, Liz, etc, i would be on my knees every day thanking the Lord that WY was in my group. Imagine how many idols and trainees never get to see the light of day, never get to make a single second of impact. We're talking countless thousands of trainees and nugu idols slaving away in some musty basement practice room, living 5 deep in roach infested tenement housing, standing around for hours in some depressing strip mall trying to drum up interest in their free concerts.

I think it's really unfair to credit only wonyoung and yujin to ive's success.

Because of ive's visuals the entire group was hyped both by international and korean fans.

Leeseo viral moment literally made Eleven jump several spots on charts. People forget that Eleven wasnt an immediate success.

Rei is a massive contributor to their popularity in Japan. She promotes heavilg there and is doing really well at promoting her group. Most of the comments in her videos and posts are in japanese.

After Like going viral thanks to Gaeul's delivery made it reach the highest ULs peak of all 4th gen groups.

And Liz was so popular since debut. It was only after she gained weight that her popularity decreased. Yet she is one of thw best vocals in 4th gen and without her Ive songs would never be the same.

So it's really disappointing to see how people downplay their effect on Ive.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Also instead of whining like a bitch all the time why y’all don’t stream the girls fancams, buy their merch, buy their individual albums, trend hashtags idk etc that’s how popularity works

did you just call me a bitch? for this post? really? a bitch?

• did you just call me a bitch? for this post? really? a bitch?

probably just generalizing. like the term whiny bitches. were all bitches sometimes. you just gotta say hello bitches

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• probably just generalizing. like the term whiny bitches. were all bitches sometimes. you just gotta say hello bitches

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

she literally said I was whining like a bitch

• i mean we’ve literally had several articles with idols who were like yeah i was the unpopular member and it sucked.

wonyoung and yujin are very popular and are pushed the most. nothing wrong with pushing them, but at least make an effort to give the other girls their flowers. the music videos are egregious tbh. they should do the nmixx thing and focus certain songs on certain members

• I said y’all ? Not YOU.

And hilarious the mod closing my post over the word bitch but they let post slut shaming idols here. They have no bone and pick and choose what they’re offended about :teeheek:

You said I was whining like a bitch, and there is no slut shaming in this post or anything I have posted. Maybe take responsibility for your words instead of putting the blame game on the mods who did their jobs.

• and I've said this before as well

the "official" visual in any group might not be the most popular but very rarely are they the least popular

• This thread contains 11 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!