Fundamental question - does KPop need Korea anymore?

• I have asked this question a few times, but now the Fifty Fifty question is real and it opens a new question which had to be asked.

Does KPop acts need Korea?

Obviously, in FF's case, it does not need Korea. The Attrakt owner is upset and is saying a bunch of things but his claims seem to be as weak as Prigozhin's lofty words after he was sent to Belarus.

He cannot do anything to FF if they choose not to promote in Korea, which they seem to be willing to. There is no Korean fandom for them, so losing Korea is just a trivial matter - Korea might be about the 30th most important country for them.

Most sales for KPop acts come from foreign fans anyways. The Korean concerts even for the major acts are mostly fan services for existing Korean fans, and are not their signature acts. In fact, the increasingly diminishing Korean fans should be thankful that the acts are still promoting in Korea, although that is increasingly becoming just a waste of time.

The concert at Chamshil by IU, someone who cannot sell an arena outside of Korea, sealed the fate of Kpop in there. Since nobody is likely to do a stadium concert there after her, any act who are famous in the overseas will not get the respect the domesticist gets at home. To get the respect of the Korean fans they have to outdo her.

In addition, the lower birthrate of Korea (incl even North Korea, whose parents are not too eager to produce future recruits for the fat ass there) means newer acts will probably have to include foreigners, and aim for foreign popularity. Korean popularity is not enough to sustain an act anymore, and since most events are now attended by older people who prefer trot, event-oriented acts don't really have a place in there anymore.

Korea has fewer fans who are willing to buy multiple copies of an act's album as well., let alone attend concerts.

I don't see all bad points in the FF circus. It will define the position of what Korea is as far as Kpop is concerned. If it can lead to a long overdue permanent separation of KPop from Korea, I don't see it to be all bad.

• It won’t be long until Korea is just a breeding ground for idols. Idols will be an export just like any other commodity. While the K-pop market in the U.S. has experienced growth I think it may be exaggerated. Asia, Europe, and South America continue to be booming markets for K-pop and it’s not slowing down.

The extremely low birth rate in Korea is a concern though long term. I prefer my idols Korean (not that I don’t like foreigners).

International musical acts don’t come to Korea because they don’t need to. Taylor Swift is performing in Tokyo FOUR straight nights. And she will perform in SEA and Singapore alone SIX times. Seriously. Korea and IU won’t even enter her mind.

• It won’t be long until Korea is just a breeding ground for idols. Idols will be an export just like any other commodity. While the K-pop market in the U.S. has experienced growth I think it may be exaggerated. Asia, Europe, and South America continue to be booming markets for K-pop and it’s not slowing down.

You can't compare the US to entire continents. It's big, but it's not China. While it would still be considered niche in all of these places, I would wager Kpop has a significantly larger niche in the US than in any individual European or South American country.

I think certain groups are proving you can be more successful overseas than in Korea and still be an overall success, but the proposition of focusing entirely on overseas markets still sounds dicey to me, unless you're a group that was purposely designed to do so, which Fifty Fifty was not. They still have huge one hit wonder potential.

• when kpop groups started english songs, it's become clear that they don't. If they release korean songs, then they need korean to give them a high status as idols because how else can we differentiate what's the good korean groups and who's better than koreans to tell us that when they sing in korean?

• You forget that like 95% of groups don’t have a huge international fandom and even those that do probably don’t make too much money from their tours and shit to sustain them. Yes of course this question is dumb

• They need Korea to produce the workforce, as being Korean is the main selling point of kpop

Do they need Korean customers? Looking at how dreadful is BG charting in 4th gen and how the only group to sold out Gocheok sky dome came from a reality show the answer is a clear No, kpop don't need Korea

The extremely low birth rate in Korea is a concern though long term. I prefer my idols Korean (not that I don’t like foreigners).

International musical acts don’t come to Korea because they don’t need to. Taylor Swift is performing in Tokyo FOUR straight nights. And she will perform in SEA and Singapore alone SIX times. Seriously. Korea and IU won’t even enter her mind.

Yes. A lot of misguided opinion which overemphasized Korea's importance in KPop is going to go away; there are many other fans of KPop who sustain it outside of Korea as the aging Korean general pop turn into trot.

I don't think the major figures of global music even knows the existence of IU. If they did they would have seeked an alliance with her, but they just don't know her. Whatever happens inside of Korea is completely irrelevant as far as the global music trend is concerned.

• You can't compare the US to entire continents. It's big, but it's not China. While it would still be considered niche in all of these places, I would wager Kpop has a significantly larger niche in the US than in any individual European or South American country.

I think certain groups are proving you can be more successful overseas than in Korea and still be an overall success, but the proposition of focusing entirely on overseas markets still sounds dicey to me, unless you're a group that was purposely designed to do so, which Fifty Fifty was not. They still have huge one hit wonder potential.

Chances are FF will simply not operate in Korea. End of story. The Attrakt owner can frame his winning verdict in his office or whatever while outside of Korea that piece of paper is worth no more than toilet paper.

• They need Korea to produce the workforce, as being Korean is the main selling point of kpop

Do they need Korean customers? Looking at how dreadful is BG charting in 4th gen and how the only group to sold out Gocheok sky dome came from a reality show the answer is a clear No, kpop don't need Korea

Not really. IU is basically the last remaining Korean lyricist; even the lyrics are now written by foreigners, with some company hacks calibrating them a bit for Korean use. There might be some staff needed, but they will work for non-Koreans.

Korean customers are no longer relevant.

• You forget that like 95% of groups don’t have a huge international fandom and even those that do probably don’t make too much money from their tours and shit to sustain them. Yes of course this question is dumb

But then 95% of the groups are not that popular, and groups which are well known all have sizable foreign fandom. The Korean fandom is almost like second thought as seen by their smaller concert size.

Bigger companies are sustained by foreign investments, while there are much less smaller companies after all these acquisitions since they can't really survive.

• Let put example from recent brand deals trend for KPop artist. The most latest brand deals signed with KPop idols are An Yu Jin with Hana Group which is the biggest Korea financial conglomerates, or Luxury brands for Newjeans that intended to promoting on specifically Korea market, or Domino's Pizza Korea for IU. Man, KPop has really scores big already but most of the big bucks comes because they're undisputable huge on their home soil. So yes, majority of their money still comes from Korea.

And for Fifi, yes they do need to conquer Melon and Circle, For K-poppers that's the true lifeline of their stan and not Billboard.

• Let put example from recent brand deals trend for KPop artist. The most latest brand deals signed with KPop idols are An Yu Jin with Hana Group which is the biggest Korea financial conglomerates, or Luxury brands for Newjeans that intended to promoting on specifically Korea market, or Domino's Pizza Korea for IU. Man, KPop has really scores big already but most of the big bucks comes because they're undisputable huge on their home soil. So yes, majority of their money still comes from Korea.

And for Fifi, yes they do need to conquer Melon and Circle, For K-poppers that's the true lifeline of their stan and not Billboard.

"In just 40 out of 60 shows, the group has already gathered a revenue of $163,832,685. The group's sold-out world tour started in October 2022 and will continue to Q3 2023, with a total of 60 shows." This is just for tickets. Merchandise sold is about the same as ticket sales.

So Korean CFs are great if the group is limited in expanding globally, but it is not even close to ticket sales for the top acts.

• But then 95% of the groups are not that popular, and groups which are well known all have sizable foreign fandom. The Korean fandom is almost like second thought as seen by their smaller concert size.

Bigger companies are sustained by foreign investments, while there are much less smaller companies after all these acquisitions since they can't really survive.

For most groups even today their Korean fans are still more important that foreign fans. Those groups would no survive without Korean fan base even if it is small. What you say is probably true for the top groups but for Kpop as a whole Korea is still important. This question is dumb because it can basically apply to most international stars of any country. Once you get big internationally you don’t need to rely much on the domestic fans. Taylor swift could probably survive without all of her domestic fan base.

• "In just 40 out of 60 shows, the group has already gathered a revenue of $163,832,685. The group's sold-out world tour started in October 2022 and will continue to Q3 2023, with a total of 60 shows." This is just for tickets. Merchandise sold is about the same as ticket sales.

So Korean CFs are great if the group is limited in expanding globally, but it is not even close to ticket sales for the top acts.

It is a chump change, and in major acts it is just a stepping stone to get some kind of sponsorship from major brands around the world.

• Not really. IU is basically the last remaining Korean lyricist; even the lyrics are now written by foreigners, with some company hacks calibrating them a bit for Korean use. There might be some staff needed, but they will work for non-Koreans.

Korean customers are no longer relevant.

You forgot the most important workforce: Idols

Granted, you can have foreign, tons of them. But at least half of your group need to be Korean otherwise western fetish in Koreans will vanish

• International kpop Fans nowadays Need the Korean market to tell them who is the best group nowadays or which song is performing well. They take cues from the domestic market to extend their support to certain groups or songs.

How many songs have intl kpop Fans dismissed only to gloat about them afterwards bcos it topped the k charts. This doesn’t apply to groups like 50-50 where their virality and success is what attracted the fans to them.

• International kpop Fans nowadays Need the Korean market to tell them who is the best group nowadays or which song is performing well. They take cues from the domestic market to extend their support to certain groups or songs.

How many songs have intl kpop Fans dismissed only to gloat about them afterwards bcos it topped the k charts. This doesn’t apply to groups like 50-50 where their virality and success is what attracted the fans to them.

A grand total of 4 acts topped Melon #1 on 2023, NewJeans, IVE, Aespa and Gidle.

Melon no longer a good indicator.

FF started a new trend of an act originating from Korea to get big without going thru the Korean market. The owner of Attrakt is trying to throw a wrench to such trends but there will be more and more acts bypassing Korea altogether.

• You forgot the most important workforce: Idols

Granted, you can have foreign, tons of them. But at least half of your group need to be Korean otherwise western fetish in Koreans will vanish

Gidle already has a majority of non Koreans. All 3 foreign members are Chinese in some way, so it can be called a Chinese group.

• korean pop at least it need korean idols, korean 'idol' culture :eyes: it doesn't need korea to get bigger but it needs korea to start imo

Siahn did find a way to find an act based in Korea to get big without going thru Korea, which the Attrakt owner is trying to destroy.

Only in Korea BTS and other internationally famous KPop act are treated equally with IU. Siahn is trying to end it.

If the Attrakt owner had his way FF would have been paraded before the Senior Singer, who would have added her line to Cupid. Showing FF is not superior to The Senior Singer. I think Siahn thought that was a bad idea since FF's basis would be the overseas.

• IU will continue to be popular till the day KPOP lost all its importance/popularity. It's basically Taylor Swift Korea version so you better start liking her cause that girl is not losing popularity no matter how many smear campaign that nugus are trying to attempt on her.

• Groups from big companies: No

Groups from small/mid-tier companies: Yes

International K-pop fans only care about groups from small/mid-tier companies when they are already too big in Korea to ignore.

Based on these articles:

[단독]음반수출 4달만에 1000억…작년 대비 70%↑
    K팝이 역대 최고 수출 기록 행진을 벌이고 있다. 한국 음반 수출액이 4달 만에 1000억원을 돌파했다. 역대 가장 빠른 페이스로 세계에 팔려나가고 있다. 관세청 수출입 무역통계 자료를 보면 1월부터 지난달까지 음반
    n.news.naver.com

CIRCLE CHART - 써클차트
    New Circular Wave.
    circlechart.kr

Seems like the shift to the international market is getting bigger every year, even for groups from smaller companies.

These days too are "easier" for non-big 4 groups to make money without having a number-one hit in Korea as long as they have a good international following. Which was unthinkable to happen a few years ago.

Good examples of that would be Dreamcatcher and Ateez.

• IU will continue to be popular till the day KPOP lost all its importance/popularity. It's basically Taylor Swift Korea version so you better start liking her cause that girl is not losing popularity no matter how many smear campaign that nugus are trying to attempt on her.

It is like the legendary matriarch who outlives all her descendants.

All attempts against Iu have failed. Laboum and Suran had brief successes but these proved to be ephemeral, and with Fifty probably out of Korean market once for all, IU will continue to maintain her stranglehold in the increasingly irrelevant Korean market.

• You forgot the most important workforce: Idols

To be certain of that, we have to wait until the localized groups from the big 4 debut.

• The question is do you do what Twice did and "own" Korean for 3 years, then concept change and target the global market? The concept change is effectively debuting your group, because the concept they have now, Korea does not like, as their last song peaked at #98 on Melon. This is the slower and risker way, as they have only really been successful globally in the last two years, in their 6th to 7th years. So you may as well target the global market on debut.

Similarly with Stray Kids. Korea dislikes them, yet they sold over 5 million albums in their latest release. Seventeen also got massive in Japan before they started to get more attention in Korea. They had very good songs initially but Korea just wasn't that interested in them.

• So far, yes, they do need Korea. You use fifty fifty as an example, but that's based on your assumption that they're gonna leave Korea and have a massively successful career abroad. That's a huge assumption. I think it's more likely that they're a one hit wonder that we'll never hear from again. I love Cupid, but they didn't write that song, there's nothing special about them as a group without that producer.

Right now kpop fans are watching Korean music shows and visiting websites like this one to learn about new groups. Girl groups in other countries that don't have this platform, like the very talented "Boys World" here in the US, aren't gaining any traction at all, despite having better songs than some kpop groups that are doing well. Another example is XG. They're an all Japanese group from a Japanese company that only sings in English, clearly targeting the western market. So why are they promoting on Korean music shows and claiming to be a kpop group? Because that's ironically the easiest way for them to gain western fans. If they were just making tiktoks and trying to get on American radio shows they'd be total nobodies.

In conclusion, kpop groups can make most of their money abroad now, but they still need Korea to be able to access that foreign market.

• I think we just have different standards for what It means "not needing" Korea.

When you open Circle 2022 Year-End Album Chart, at least 80% are albums from Big Companies. Almost the whole 20% are acts selling well because they are popular in Korea (Kang Daniel, LWY, The Boyz etc) or selling well because they got too popular in Korea and international community couldn't ignore (IVE, (G)I-DLE). There are some other cute appeareances that most likely aren't making a good amount of profits from album sales and aren't touring in more than theaters ww to the point It could make it up being a popular act in Korea.

And there's ATEEZ and Monsta X that are more exceptions than rules.

The thing is, when I think of "not needing Korea", I think of earning significantly well to the point their career can give them a similar/more comfortable life than If they were popular in Korea, getting good CFs, domestic brand deals or good acting and variety roles.

I'm sure a lot of groups from small/mid-tier companies can sustain a career with international support, but I still think that, for most of them, It isn't enough yet to say Korea isn't important.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!