XG criticized for appropriating accents and lyrics

• Do you find this problematic or do they sound good?

IMG_2881.jpeg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The tweets in your pic sounds like they’re more confused with the fact they fumbled two tens than whether they appropriate accent

Two tens is easier anderson’s song to cover

• Saw the first tape A, and then saw tape B with Jurin and Coco, I knew something would come up with it. Lol. The girls did mentioned in some interview that they like Anderson Paak. With the recent response from him, oh boy. They must be sadden.

They can really ride the beat and has very very nice flow, especially Jurin and Coco. I like that they're talented and tried to rap in languages that aren't native to them, huge props. They made alot of references to older 90s-2000s songs, so I think they are just feeling the rhythm and beat of that era.

I think they're doing fine, but what do I know, I'm not an expert in CA or Hip-Hop.

---======---

• Maybe it is a "first-world" problem, but is it so surprising that a group like XG uses AAVE or Blaccents ? At this point, darling, it's just jokes.

I knew sooner or later, this would happen. XG gets their "inspiration" from Black artists, anyway. 😭💀

Not knocking XG's talent, but I am knocking the obvious copying you hear. 💀💀💀😭

• Genuine question bbb988.

Do you actually, genuinely care about either this kind of issue or XG at all? I guess this can be said of all your threads. Do you actually, genuinely care/like/have any interest in artists you make threads about or the issues you post about?

I've barely seen you show actual interest in kpop groups or music with possibly one exception.

What I have seen you be interested in is posting stuff like this that just seems aimed at causing, to say politely, heated discussion or bad blood.

• did they use n word?

if not then I don't see a problem

it's actually opposite

it's US problem of allowing this or that slang or accent to be used openly in all hollywood movies, and it's not like US rappers give a shit when they release new songs they just say what they want and use words from the streets, sometimes even an criminal/prison slang...

and later on kids from around the world are listening to it without knowledge that it is this or that...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This "controversy" pops up

And XG's label posts this in reply

Lovin it

• NGL i loved the flow and delivery. Old school lyrical lap without massive autotune. Coulda done without the incessant highhat trap nonsense but it wasnt enough to overpower the awesomeness of the rest of the song. 9 out of 10. =O

• Conversation over vernacular and who says what or why is never conducive of anything substantial, especially when its origin point is just fandoms tryin to stir up shit.

The real point of contention is Paak's response.

Doing a remix/cover and one of the original artists explicitly not giving you the cosign? That's just painful.

• Conversation over vernacular and who says what or why is never conducive of anything substantial, especially when its origin point is just fandoms tryin to stir up shit.

Judging by the fandom who’s dragging them I just have to laugh.

Anyway why people act surprised. Their songwriters are black.

It’s not any Kpop fans, it’s many Black kpop fans being uncomfortable seeing their culture used like that. You don’t think XG could at least tone it down? Also they only used black people to write lyrics, but black people don’t produce their songs so some have problems with that.

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

• It’s not any Kpop fans, it’s many Black kpop fans being uncomfortable seeing their culture used like that. You don’t think XG could at least tone it down? Also they only used black people to write lyrics, but black people don’t produce their songs so some have problems with that.

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

Telling me this, does not change my response.

They are perfectly free to feel how they want, I'm not invalidating whatever feelings they may have. I continue to express that it's not conducive and will lead nowhere.

• It’s not any Kpop fans, it’s many Black kpop fans being uncomfortable seeing their culture used like that. You don’t think XG could at least tone it down? Also they only used black people to write lyrics, but black people don’t produce their songs so some have problems with that.

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

Look at this (or most of this user replies)

This user always never put themselves in the topic. It always use other people/other party to put an opinion.

Also it always just wants to sow chaos, it never cared about the group that are talked about (unless 1 or 2 group that rarely posted about their "bad" topic)

Look how this user dodge your question and actually it always dodge any question directed at itself.

ThePhantomThief

• Took people a year to realize something they'd been blatantly doing since the first cypher lmao

yeah I'm surprised people noticed now

• Took people a year to realize something they'd been blatantly doing since the first cypher lmao

They weren't popular enough for people to notice they only took of after Shooting star and left right

Honestley what bothers me the most is Harvey flo girl is trying waaay to hard with that black accent I'm ok with her with two seconds lines on XG songs but a whole song that a no no for me :zipr:

• An entire company devoted to copying Black culture making hands over first millions of dollars, and nobody says anything. But Japanese nugus promoting in another country are an easy target

• They weren't popular enough for people to notice they only took of after Shooting star and left right

Honestley what bothers me the most is Harvey flo girl is trying waaay to hard with that black accent I'm ok with her with two seconds lines on XG songs but a whole song that a no no for me :zipr:

There's appreciation, there's appropriation and then there's culture vulture level copying. For me, it's always been clear there they landed

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• Genuine question

What actually is a Japanese accent English?

Like if an Asian live in America and doesn't speak English, and learn to speak English in a environment surrounded by mostly white people, does it mean that they are copying white people English? Is that offensive because they are not speaking their "Asian English"?

If an Asian raps or sing a song by any artist and sing/rap in that manner and if they don't know the language, is it offensive since they don't have any background learning from the origin language in the first place?

• It is in times of need like these that we must turn to the wise words of a true sage:

• Well for starters white people American English isn't a thing, it's just American English. Granted there are many dialects in America but there's no dialect that white Americans speak exclusively, most dialects are region based and within each region, some class based vernacular.

If I, a black woman who appreciates Korean, Chinese and Japanese music start incorporating their slang into my speech, I'm sure I'd get looked at funny too. Are Koreab**s and Weebs not a thing anymore?

Those girls have a decent sense of English with varying degrees of fluency and are perfectly capable of normal English. If the AAVE somehow bled into their normal speech, maybe you could make an argument there.

External Content youtu.be

A lot of kpop is heavily inspired by black culture, that's undeniable but it shows as influence and inspiration while also incorporating their own aspects to make it unique.

There's not a single thing unique about XG. Their music, their bars, their flow, the aave, the fashion, the hair styles, the performances, the dancing, word for word, bar for bar its just taken from black American artists. No matter how much they try to align themselves with kpop for clout, I don't see them as a kpop or jpop group. Just some hip-hop cosplaying kids with no idea as to what they're actually saying.

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• There's not a single thing unique about XG. Their music, their bars, their flow, the aave, the fashion, the hair styles, the performances, the dancing, word for word, bar for bar its just taken from black American artists. No matter how much they try to align themselves with kpop for clout, I don't see them as a kpop or jpop group. Just some hip-hop cosplaying kids with no idea as to what they're actually saying.

And what exactly did BPink invent that wasn't already copied from black culture or the West?

• About the part where you said if a black woman uses incorporate Chinese/Korean/Japanese slang, isn't it normal actually?

Like if I don't know how to speak Korean, the only way I learn is by learning from well, Koreans, which has Korean slang. So I will learn Korean with a Korean slang and this actually doesn't feel wrong to me?

Like I'm from Singapore and we have a very strong Singlish (Singaporean English) accent. If you pick up our accent but without mocking it, it feels fine to me.

• About the part where you said if a black woman uses incorporate Chinese/Korean/Japanese slang, isn't it normal actually?

Like if I don't know how to speak Korean, the only way I learn is by learning from well, Koreans, which has Korean slang. So I will learn Korean with a Korean slang and this actually doesn't feel wrong to me?

Like I'm from Singapore and we have a very strong Singlish (Singaporean English) accent. If you pick up our accent but without mocking it, it feels fine to me.

I meant incorporating those languages into normal English speech.

I guess it's hard to explain in relation to largely ethnically homogeneous countries where there's a lack of disparity between Korean as a nationality and Koreans as an ethnicity. Having an accent is either natural or necessary to be understood when speaking other languages. Learning Singaporean/Korean/Japanese language, accents and slang are necessary to naturally speak with them. Learning AAVE is not necessary to communicate to black Americans and it just comes off as mocking if you weren't brought up in it. Just use normal English. Especially considering how frequently aave is memeified and adopted into "pop culture language"

Even if you're into black culture, picking up on AAVE is just weird and unnecessary. There are plenty of black people and artists that don't AAVE, including most of the ones they cite as influences. There are also plenty of idols that rap in English without attempting AAVE

• Even if you're into black culture, picking up on AAVE is just weird and unnecessary. There are plenty of black people and artists that don't AAVE, including most of the ones they cite as influences. There are also plenty of idols that rap in English without attempting AAVE

Maybe they like that accent better. Just like someone could choose to speak with an English accent, a Scottish accent, an Irish accent, an Australian accent, etc. Honestly it's only a problem if you choose to make a problem of it.

• Maybe they like that accent better. Just like someone could choose to speak with an English accent, a Scottish accent, an Irish accent, an Australian accent, etc. Honestly it's only a problem if you choose to make a problem of it.

Most people in general don't just choose to have those accents lol

And here I am seeing it as a problem. As have many other black Americans annoyed with it not just is kpop but overall

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!