“Why do we have to lose to Korea?”… The CEO of a big agency that has just debuted a girl group sparks controversy with his anti-Korea remark

• 9f3e49b0cac8e46bcaa8f361376cb7d0774c689c_62905f352e11f-e1653932541514.jpeg

Girl group XG is being criticized for the anti-Korea attitude of the CEO of their agency.

XG is a seven-member rookie girl group that debuted with their first album in March. It’s a group produced by XGALX, which is affiliated with the Japanese entertainment agency Avex.

The members are all Japanese but their SNS account are being promoted in Korean. Also, all the lyrics of their recently released songs are in English.

The girl group just made their official debut in Korea on the 30th of last month, but attention is being paid to the controversial remark of Avex CEO Matsuura Masato.

Describing XG, he said, “This is a project I created with a Korean producer, not a Korean label. All the members are Japanese and they are not like K-pop idols. They are has a more American style”.

He added, “Why do we have to lose to Korea? Japanese can also do it. At first, Korean singer BoA actually came to Japan and imitated Japanese style for her promotion.”

Such content spread to Korean online communities and caused huge public criticism to arise. Netizens reacted, “Why is he mentioning BoA all of a sudden?”, “Are you having an inferiority complex?”, “Then promote in Japan”, etc.

“Why do we have to lose to Korea?”... The CEO of a big agency that has just debuted a girl group sparks controversy with his anti-Korea remark
    Girl group XG is being criticized for the anti-Korea attitude of the CEO of their agency.
    kbizoom.com

• I mean what’s the point in promoting in Korea? It’s a tiny country. Korean acts themselves promote in Japan lol. AndI’d say a good chuck of K-pop’s “international” marketability is success in Japan. You should be wondering why the Japanese themselves are preferring kpop idol groups.

• Matsuura has always been messy

For those unaware, a big reason for this controversy is that he said BoA pretended to be Japanese when she promoted in Japan when it's provably not true.

• I mean I am sure they all say it in other sports.

They do not want to lose to each other in any sport.

And yet you see players of each country playing in each others leagues, Soccer has a good amount of South Korean players that play or have played in Japan.

And it is a statement of fact, Jpop has been losing to Kpop in terms of international recognition, dude is just stating facts.

• I mean what’s the point in promoting in Korea? It’s a tiny country. Korean acts themselves promote in Japan lol. AndI’d say a good chuck of K-pop’s “international” marketability is success in Japan. You should be wondering why the Japanese themselves are preferring kpop idol groups.

To be fair, the biggest idol groups in Japan are still Japanese groups.

Twice does kick ass in Japan and they tend to rank in the top 5 usually.

Name recognition.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

pasted-from-clipboard.png

• I mean he should have never said that since he’s promoting in Korea, but he’s right kpop groups are promoting in japan even without a Japanese member, he has the right to do the same.

At least they are doing it in English, imagine the controversy if they tried to promote singing Japanese, it would probably be illegal.

• This just makes them sound bitter. He is right about kpop idols promoting in jpop though. Also aren't they suppose to be considered international group?

• This just makes them sound bitter. He is right about kpop idols promoting in jpop though. Also aren't they suppose to be considered international group?

They aren't mad that he said he wanted to promote in Korea.

They're mad that he said BoA pretended to be Japanese

• The wording is def off, however I’m sure his point is way less malicious than it’s being interpreted

He’s pretty much saying why is it that XG shouldn’t be able to promote in Korea, and why is it that Kpop groups can go all over but Jpop groups can’t

Which he is right, there are people who have hissy fits over NiziU, JO1, INI, and now XG cuz they are non-Korean groups with non-Korean members promoting in Korea, even despite the fact that they’re all affiliated with Kpop in one way or another

XG has great songs, amazing members, a concept that gives off a Kpop mixed with Western Pop vibe, and like NiziU there are Korean speakers amongst the group

• But yeah smaller market or not, I never understood the hostility for non-Koreans promoting in Korea, when Koreans can promote all over the world

• a stupid move from the ceo - a ton of jpop labels/producers have shown how bitter they are at kpop taking the center stage as the most wellknown asian music style nowdays and bts western success but no one owned up to it while promoting 8n korea before, real class

They paid little attention to the world beyond Japan when it came to promotion.

Jpop could have been the big one if they had, because they already had millions of anime fans as their potential fans.

They didn't use the opportunity and Kpop is the big one now.

He probably wants that global popularity and big sized fandom, jpop groups usually only stick to Japan and remain a mystery to the rest of the world. Honestly it worked, kpop fans are interested in XG. Maybe its not just about sales but global recognition. I get his point but it was better for him to stay quiet than to attract heat to his group that just started promoting and gaining attention. Better not shit where you eat.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!