Will Baby Monster's age imbalance affect them?

• Like April (a 3rd gen GG), they have one adult member in their 20s, and the majority of the others are underage. People found it odd, so what happened to April was that the oldest member was transferred to a completely different group, KARD (3rd gen co-ed group).

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This probably won't happen to Baby Monster, but compared to the 3rd gen more people care about age now, as often discussed regarding IVE and NewJeans.

Ruka is old enough to do mature concepts like BPink. But the 5 other underage members would just be able to do high teen YG style. And even the maknae might be too young for high teen. So YG can only do a compromise by making the younger members seem 'older' and the older member seem 'younger' to fit the concept, but this could cause problematic issues.

• I don't think so, wide age gaps are normal in kpop. I do think a lot of teenage members and a large group makes harder to them achieve the level of success BP has in the west.

• I think it will be a problem, I mean one member is 20 and another member is 14 (by now) like is that not strange to some people?? it's bizarre to me. One is a full grown adult and the next is going into her first year of high school. I am waiting to see what their concept will be, how will YG balance out everything? I mean it must be awkward being in a group with people way younger than you. Don't know what the heck YG is thinking with this. praying for them though, praying.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• I don't think so, wide age gaps are normal in kpop. I do think a lot of teenage members and a large group makes harder to them achieve the level of success BP has in the west.

Typically the configuration is most members are 18 or close to 18, then one member in their 20s, and one much younger maknae. But in the case of debut April and Baby Monster the age difference is a lot more lopsided, with underage members making more than half of the group.

• Typically the configuration is most members are 18 or close to 18, then one member in their 20s, and one much younger maknae. But in the case of debut April and Baby Monster the age difference is a lot more lopsided, with underage members making more than half of the group.

So the age "imbalance" you are really talking about is that they are on the younger spectrum of age?

• So the age "imbalance" you are really talking about is that they are on the younger spectrum of age?

Like in April, most members are underage with one member being already in their 20s.

Irene & Yeri and Sakura & Eunchae have bigger age gaps at 8 years to Babymonsters 7. They seem to have done just fine.

In RV, Seulgi and Wendy were already adults, and Yeri/Joy were the only underage members at their debut. So it was more balanced. Kazuha, Sakura, Yunjin are also adults.

What issues?

Yeah it looks like they will just make the oldest and the youngest to follow along the majority age group.

They will have to walk a fine line to make the concept that suits the members. If they go too youth oriented Ruka might look out of place, if they go too mature, then that's a bigger issue because most are still minors.

• Victoria and krystal had 7 year gap and there are more example like Minzy and park bom as well

it's not as uncommon as people think

One older + one much younger balanced each other in those cases, because it was small groups and the other members where adults between their ages. However, the situation with BabyMon and April is higher proportion of underage members (5 of them) making up most of the group.

• One older + one much younger balanced each other in those cases, because it was small groups and the other members where adults between their ages. However, the situation with BabyMon and April is higher proportion of underage members (5 of them) making up most of the group.

pharita is turning 18 this year not sure if this helps so she is closer to ruka in age

• They will have to walk a fine line to make the concept that suits the members. If they go too youth oriented Ruka might look out of place, if they go too mature, then that's a bigger issue because most are still minors.

Ruka doesn't looks like too old compared to some members, so I guess it will be fine.

And actually billlie also had the same age gap between the oldest and the youngest, but they just still doing fine.

(Like there is no one whining "ooh X feels out of place with the rest of the group")

• Ruka doesn't looks like too old compared to some members, so I guess it will be fine.

And actually billlie also had the same age gap between the oldest and the youngest, but they just still doing fine.

(Like there is no one whining "ooh X feels out of place with the rest of the group")

I'm not just talking about oldest and youngest, but the age distribution of all members. It's a lot more skewed to the minors.

• People commenting with the most logical & obvious answers (to anyone who has been following KPOP for more than a year) and OP still keeps coming up with "But But But" lmao this thread is hilarious

I think they misunderstood. I wasn't talking about age difference between the oldest and youngest but the distribution of ages. That's why I made the comparison to April, because few groups actually have that kind of distribution.

• I'm not just talking about oldest and youngest, but the age distribution of all members. It's a lot more skewed to the minors.

I see...

Well then, it will be just like what you said (those 2 will adjust with the rest)

Also I think Ruka and the youngest will having no problem with a high teen concept..

Is high teen even YG's style? I'm even thinking that they will going for something more stronger?

• I think they misunderstood. I wasn't talking about age difference between the oldest and youngest but the distribution of ages. That's why I made the comparison to April, because few groups actually have that kind of distribution.

As far as I can see, their families supported their debut at a young age and they sent congratulatory messages on their debut, so why should we care. If I like their music, I will listen. As Lisa said in the teasers, the members are 7 with very harmonious and beautiful dynamics. Also Yg is really slow when it comes to music. They will probably release their first debut album next year.

• I think if YG really wants to pitch them as the actual "next Blackpink" or Blackpinks successors then yes the age stuff will hold them back.

I think a lot of BP's continued success and popularity has to do with the members and the fact that the members are all grown adults very much able to wear many hats and do adult things, such as model for underwear companies, swear at coachellea, advertise Soju, twerk and do sensual dances etc. It also allows for BP to have a much wider audience range. This is also true for Twice, especially in the west.

A group of kids with only one adult,maybe a second in a year or two can't do that. Even if the older member is successful enough to do some solo stuff like advertising, it wouldn't be a good look for a member of a "kids" group to do such things.

• as that yg casting director has said, age doesn't matter as long as they fit the group's image/concept. imo, ruka's personality goes well with the group. she's also very close to ahyeon and the maknae.

• not their success

but these type of thing is always hard on the oldest member. They become sorta of baby-sitter of the group and will suffer.

• not their success

but these type of thing is always hard on the oldest member. They become sorta of baby-sitter of the group and will suffer.

I think this is the important factor. Not only Ruka will be a babysitter she will also suffer mentally. And it actually already started. Since she's the only fully pledged adult, her mind will be forced to adjust. Instead of the others trying to be mature, she's the one adjusting which will affect her mental growth.

Lets also add that she didnt go to school. YG might have provided her some sort of education but it cant beat the necessary life and social skills you will get by going to school, and it doesnt help the fact shes surrounded with children 24/365.

I guess this is the reason why she has this dumb beauty aura for me - and YG doesnt also see her as the one who will lead BM.

• I don't think there will be any issue for their songs/performances because you probably can't differentiate the ages of an all girl dance team just by a brief viewing of them anyway.

I wasn't around at April's debut but I watched one of their debut performances of Dream Candy and I couldn't tell which one was much older or anything. The styling makes them all look similar. From my Google, I got that she left because of some unspecified career or personal reasons, like she doesn't want to be in a girl group, not that she is too old for it or doesn't suit the concept

• I think this is the important factor. Not only Ruka will be a babysitter she will also suffer mentally. And it actually already started. Since she's the only fully pledged adult, her mind will be forced to adjust. Instead of the others trying to be mature, she's the one adjusting which will affect her mental growth.

Lets also add that she didnt go to school. YG might have provided her some sort of education but it cant beat the necessary life and social skills you will get by going to school, and it doesnt help the fact shes surrounded with children 24/365.

I guess this is the reason why she has this dumb beauty aura for me - and YG doesnt also see her as the one who will lead BM.

Wait she didn't go to school?

Didn't some baemon members went to Hanlim too this year?

• not their success

True. When I watched Ruka's video, she thought that her peers were ahead of her. Probably because she didn't go to college, she thought it was too late for her to decide to become an idol. I think the reason Ruka feels this way is because the Baemon members are underage. In fact, she was not late for anything, her age was just the perfect age of decision. I wish she would debut with his peers. Also because of that, she a little bit diss in her rap track YG, say ''BabyMonster just baby without Me.''

• the only thing we should say is that

Ruka situation is a paradox here

why?

because it's superb that she will debut in YG new girl group

but same time it must sucks to be limited with concepts for so so many years due to the fact that Chiquita and Rora are "chodings" lol

• I don't know this Ruka character from a bar of soap, but if she's the oldest is also likely to be the groups "leader"?

Because that would suck either way.

Either she's the leader of a group of kids, which has a lot more difficulties attached to it then being leader of a group of mostly or all adults.

But if she isnt leader that would make her a grown adult deferring to an underaged kid. Which in Korea's age hierarchy system would suck completely.

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!