Big Korean youtubers are now making videos about birth rate drop in Korea: "No more KPOP, kdramas very soon"

• birth rate dropped again

which made DKDKTV made a video about it, it's very informative and kind of gives us an inside about what young Koreans think, also there are graphs, and all that, really worth watching if you are interested not just in kpop or kdrama but overall you enjoy to read/watch/learn about Korea itself as a country

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

update:

street interview with Koreans

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by bartkun ().

• dramatic AF

Youtubers are mostly attention hoes

They saw this topic getting traffic on reddit and now they latch on it

Nothing is stopping governments from socializing benefits of AI and automatization. Getting rid of all low skill jobs and training people to work only on high level careers.

• The economy argument is a bullshit. Most high birth rate countries are the poor ones, while most low birth rate countries are the wealthy ones. The selfishness is the only reason these wealthy nations struggle. "WHat aBoUt My PaRtiEs anD leAsUre" is what most young people actually think but don't speak.

• well who would like to give birth in a country where Bullying in school is extreme and is never punish by school

and where everyone can be buy with money, and where the difference in status in society is so obvious and where beauty is hold to such a high standard

Not me personally

โœฉWe Born with the X-Geneโœฉ

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• The selfishness is the only reason these wealthy nations struggle. "WHat aBoUt My PaRtiEs anD leAsUre" is what most young people actually think but don't speak.

thats truly a load of BS

Most common reason is that people dont like their own lives so they dont want to impose the same problems and hardships on the next generation

majority of people who have kids have them for selfish reasons and they arent really out there to help society

• I would love if some of you will at least watch the part from 3:20 to 7:01...

that's less than 5 minutes and would save you from those mental gymnastics or writing shit about it without even watching the video... :pepefacepalm:

• The economy argument is a bullshit. Most high birth rate countries are the poor ones, while most low birth rate countries are the wealthy ones. The selfishness is the only reason these wealthy nations struggle. "WHat aBoUt My PaRtiEs anD leAsUre" is what most young people actually think but don't speak.

In low income countries: More kids = more ppl that can work and earn. And cost of bringing up a healthy child (emotionally and physically) in high income countries is way more than what ppl many can afford these days.

So it ain't no bs... but its playing its part along with other reasons like you mentioned.

Also back to topic of no kpop >_> for once we will look back at older idols rather than 10 year olds for new music I guess :boredr:

• The selfishness is the only reason these wealthy nations struggle. "WHat aBoUt My PaRtiEs anD leAsUre" is what most young people actually think but don't speak.

Is it wrong to want to enjoy your youth instead of being an incubator :pepewhat:

่จ€่‘‰ไบคใ‚ใ™ใฎใŒ่‹ฆๆ‰‹ใชใ‚‰ ไปŠๅบฆๆ€ฅใซใ„ใชใใชใ‚‹ๆ™‚ใฏ ไฝ•ใ‚‚ใ„ใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ‚ˆ

BLACKPINKโœฟJESSICAโœฟLE SSERAFIMโœฟNEWJEANSโœฟTHE ROSEโœฟSEJEONGโœฟTWICEโœฟYERIN BAEKโœฟYUKIKA

259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv 9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv 9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• a very complex problem, i dont think theres a way out unless companies stop seeking money and make living conditions better or the country open its border for imigrants

• It is not that easy to solve this issue.. Our government gave 16 weeks of maternity leave, lots of cash bonus and priority in housing for new parents but the birth rate is still low..

• They need to reconsider their policies towards women first. It is very difficult to make a living in Korea anyway. How will you convince people to have children when the housing is the biggest problem? Korea is also very strict on refugees, but I heard, there has been an increase in the rate of marrying foreign women and having children. Especially since the farmers could not find women to marry, they took brides from countries such as Vietnam or Tailand.

"Donโ€™t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people donโ€™t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• The males in Korea are sexist as hell which is why women dont want to marry or get pregnant. They still have the mindset of females gotta stay at home and cant go back to work after giving birth those are the bigger issues.

• Closed societies like Korea and Japan will have to open their doors to immigration. That's THE ONLY WAY at this point. Japan in particular is notorious for making it almost impossible to naturalize.

I bet there would be plenty of disenchanted folks from around the world that would be attracted to both countries, Japan in particular. Extremely low murder rates, almost nonexistent gun crimes, universal health care, etc. If you are black, white, brown, you will face racism unfortunately but the worst you would face are strange looks, a few words, or microaggressions, unlike places like the US where you are literally threatened and are actually murdered for being Asian, black, etc. I think a bigger issue is getting used to workplace culture in these countries, you arent going to be coddled there as employees.

If both countries opened up immigration and then offered the same incentives for immigrants that they've offered for citizens when it comes to having kids, you could see a real trend the other way in terms of birthrates.

ย ย 

• That's what these countries get for making women feel miserable...hoping it's the same fate for all conservative countries soon!!

I hate to say it but even in countries regardless, people just aren't having kids. Pretty sure progs make less kids than cons do, so there's the possibility of getting outbred ideals-wise.

• I used to chat with quite a few Korean women on language exchange apps. All of them were in their late 20s, early and mid 30s and none of them wanted to get married and have children. A couple wanted to marry a foreigner.

All of them said that marrying turns you into a servant for your husband and your in-laws.They would have to carry a huge burden and they didn't think it was worth it.

And they thought the society was really bad. You have to work all day long with very little personal time and you aren't allowed to make mistakes or not be perfect. It's suffocating.

The molka scandals was a huge issue. I remember one girl tell me she never used public toilets even if she was out of the house for hours. She felt she wouldn't get justice if it happened to her.

If they didn't change their deeply rooted misogynistic ways, things will get even worse.

• I used to chat with quite a few Korean women on language exchange apps. All of them were in their late 20s, early and mid 30s and none of them wanted to get married and have children. A couple wanted to marry a foreigner.

All of them said that marrying turns you into a servant for your husband and your in-laws.They would have to carry a huge burden and they didn't think it was worth it.

And they thought the society was really bad. You have to work all day long with very little personal time and you aren't allowed to make mistakes or not be perfect. It's suffocating.

The molka scandals was a huge issue. I remember one girl tell me she never used public toilets even if she was out of the house for hours. She felt she wouldn't get justice if it happened to her.

If they didn't change their deeply rooted misogynistic ways, things will get even worse.

Jibes with a lot of what i've heard from my folks and relatives when it comes to the work culture stuff.

I feel like if we could just combine the best of US and Korean work cultures, we could have a real solution to this mess.

As for the being a servant to the husband and husband's family stuff - that HAS to change. My folks still believe in that, but they're seniors above 70. The younger generations, including mine and the millenials below me HAVE to change. It's bad enough to enforce strict gender roles for a husband and wife. But imagine on top of that, as a wife, you are expected to put your husband's whole ass family on a pedestal, to be a slave to the husband's parents. If i were a woman in Korea, this would be a MASSIVE dealbreaker. Even as a dude i would NEVER allow my parents to exploit my wife like this lol. It's hard enough to make marriage work with two people and the kids, imagine having to deal with obligations from in laws... NO THANKS.

ย ย 

• South Korea should study they way things were solved in Czech Republic

their birth level in Europe in 1999 was the lowest

yet now they are second best in European Union...

it shows you can do it even if well developed country

• Jibes with a lot of what i've heard from my folks and relatives when it comes to the work culture stuff.

I feel like if we could just combine the best of US and Korean work cultures, we could have a real solution to this mess.

As for the being a servant to the husband and husband's family stuff - that HAS to change. My folks still believe in that, but they're seniors above 70. The younger generations, including mine and the millenials below me HAVE to change. It's bad enough to enforce strict gender roles for a husband and wife. But imagine on top of that, as a wife, you are expected to put your husband's whole ass family on a pedestal, to be a slave to the husband's parents. If i were a woman in Korea, this would be a MASSIVE dealbreaker. Even as a dude i would NEVER allow my parents to exploit my wife like this lol. It's hard enough to make marriage work with two people and the kids, imagine having to deal with obligations from in laws... NO THANKS.

This won't change. The world, as a whole, is becoming more conservative when it comes to gender roles as a reaction to women demanding better treatment and getting sick and tired of having to carry twice as much of the family burdens.

Even young Korean men get super angry when a female idol or actress even likes anything slightly feminist or talks about the rights of women.

I don't think it was older people who demanded a medalist give her medal back for having short hair. Or based on the fact that so many young men were in those nth room telegram forums makes future seem bleak.

Those men won't demand better treatment for their wives simply because they don't seem them as their equals. Challenging the status quo would mean they would lose the benefits they get out of it.

You think peopleโ€™s aversion to having kids in developed countries comes down to personal interest in โ€œparties and leisureโ€ only? Thatโ€™s probably one of your most braindead takes so far on this website and thatโ€™s saying sth.

When someone has received sufficient education to have the awareness of what it entails to properly provide for a child, not just physically but mentally, combined with the awareness of the current fucked up world that their child would be brought into, itโ€™s not a surprise that birth rates in wealthy countries are much lower than in developing ones. Since the only thing humans have over other animals is awareness of their existence and own will, blindly following whatโ€™s naturally expected of animals to do (procreation) without putting thoughts into whether oneโ€™d have the means and fortitude to do a good job of it is not the selfless โ€œfor the good of humanityโ€ act itโ€™s portrayed to be like you so backwardly believe lmao. This is not about personal comfort, itโ€™s about thinking for the fucking child oneโ€™d put out there into the world whoโ€™ll have to fend for his/herself. Some people donโ€™t want to put their child into such a position bc after all no one had the choice to ask to be brought into this world, they just were, and some people donโ€™t believe thereโ€™s a need for any more human on this planet already infested with humans. You may agree with their thinking or not, but calling everyone not having a child โ€œselfishโ€ for just caring about โ€œpartiesโ€ is just such a dumb take

• I don't understand why they can not let more people work remotely. Not everybody need to live in the same place. Apartments cost millions at Soul and at the same time rural areas lost all it's value. We are living in internet era so this should be possible.

• this is nice follow up video made by channel which creates very interesting content

This is from UN document:

"between now and 2050 just those eight countries will be responsible for half of the worlds population increase"

India, Nigeria, Pakistan, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Egypt, Philippines

countr.jpg

• Itโ€™s worse in Japan and especially in China

The fertility rate in Japan is 1.3 they have just had the problem a lot longer now. In Korea other hands the fertility rate is 0.7, they may lose half of their population in 50 years.

• That's what these countries get for making women feel miserable...hoping it's the same fate for all conservative countries soon!!

Even the "happiest country in the world" has an insufficient birth rate.

The only countries above the 2.1 threshold are dirt poor countries.

• why do people wanna live in a an overpopulated planet?

Once the problem with the elders resolves it self people will just carry on

it's not like we haven't existed for thousands and thousands of years

• I think this was well researched and took several reasons into consideration, providing a greater pov of the situation.

Housing prices

Income

Competitive society

Gender divisions and gender roles

Everything centered around Seoul

Itโ€™s a very complex situation which they wonโ€™t be able to solve that easily.

• topic is not really kpop related. theres already way too many kids trying to be idols. wouldnt even notice if half of them were gone

Kpop's not going to disappear because of a lack of idols; it's going to disappear because of a lack of Korean customers.

• a very complex problem, i dont think theres a way out unless companies stop seeking money and make living conditions better or the country open its border for imigrants

Ww have already done that one lol been doing that one for over 10yrs. We have a very complex problem to tackle with the birthrates from stupid high inflation so cost of living is up, to maternity leave and pay. In Korea now women are given alot of maternity leave, they also cannot lose their job or position while taking it etc. Thr government offers cash for each child born with continuing payments for a few years. Similar benefits are offered to men who will become father's and now their is a newer law in the works to offer military exemption for having kids. There's Alot of issues that money and benefits won't solve because the last 15yrs of it has not increased the birthrates. Immigrants have been the saving grace as people who move here are required to master the language and learn the culture, or else it will affect your ability to live in Korea permanently as a resident or citizen. Basically our crude solution is bring all the people from around the world and make them Korean. This has stemmed the tide as the "forgieness of forgieners has increased interracial marriages and children. Not a perfect solution but it's something

• Yup most people here will say its all the other stuff more so than gender issues. We see it more as a minor eh we can get over it when it comes to fixing xyz than anything else. All the other issues are the hard problems we are stuck on

• This thread contains 15 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!