Why does Korea never love Blackpink as much as Twice/NewJeans?

• Blackpink has three huge number one hits in Korea, but they never have 9 consecutive no. 1 hits in Korea like Twice or dominated top three of Melon like NewJeans. Blackpink are globally way ahead of other girl groups, yet why in Korea, their music doesn’t get much love as Twice/NewJeans?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Go to Best Answer
  • you really trying to set up NJ, are you?

NJ and IVE needs 2-3 years with consistent results before coming into the picture.

also, BP is popular in KR more than Twice in KR from 2019 till the present.? I'm not sure, maybe Blinks can help you with that.

• bc bp cmb in very competitive months (june/july/august)

being high at debut then dropped so its difficult to even enter top50 in your 7th year is not accomplish

but u all can have the very high-rise debut, the fall from it like rocks, its always tastier to see :pepe-shades:

• New jeans? most 4 gen girl groups have gone through the same amount of "love"

about blackpink it's quite the opposite based on articles and knetz comments bp is pride and Joy of Korea the group they brag about for girl groups. You have to be kidding blackpink hit it big since debut in Korea if there any group that can maintain the hype for all these years is blackpink. No other group have the longitivtiy digitally

• In the past BP used to get hate in communities like pann nate, that changed when their international success became so overwhelming, even Lisa is much more praised and gets way less attacks for being Thai like before. They don't have the biggest domestic fandom but they still are one of the most liked, maybe even the most liked current girlgroup by the masses.

• In the past BP used to get hate in communities like pann nate, that changed when their international success became so overwhelming, even Lisa is much more praised and gets way less attacks for being Thai like before. They don't have the biggest domestic fandom but they still are one of the most liked, maybe even the most liked current girlgroup by the masses.

I had a friend that used to translate in one of those trans sites and a lot girl groups get a lot of hate is just that other girl groups had a bigger fanbase to defend their faves. They get a lot of positive comments too and I think it started about the time Jennie started to go viral and blew up in korea with running man and michuri.

Koreans are a nationalistic lot and BP is flying the hallyu flag now.

don´t worry

this is a post for envious 4gg fans.

lets talk again when their faves are doing a world tour with BP numbers. Maybe Twice would be up to it...the rest is for the future to tell.

Let them be BIG IN KOREA :-P

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• BP songs that didn't get 1 are as big or even bigger than some of the numbers 1 you want to brag about.

AIIYL has over 220m on Melon, 71m on Genie, a combined 9m ULS, has recharted every single year since 2017 and is noted by Gaon/Circle to be the second gg song to cross the 200m streams. Plus is the second pre 2018 song with more points by a gg, only surpassed by Rollin' a song promoted in 2021. And AIIYL was never 1.

• New jeans? most 4 gen girl groups have gone through the same amount of "love"

about blackpink it's quite the opposite based on articles and knetz comments bp is pride and Joy of Korea the group they brag about for girl groups. You have to be kidding blackpink hit it big since debut in Korea if there any group that can maintain the hype for all these years is blackpink. No other group have the longitivtiy digitally

I thought all those sites were run by 1 single person, not having teams. Or was your friend just 1 person with their own sites

• That’s true.

However 2ne1 at least got daesangs, Korean Music Awards noms and wins plus other Korean acknowledgements while doing girl crush. That was while competing with nations GG SNSD. BP didn’t even got those.

daesang dont matter bc nct dream just got one some weeks ago when they didnt deserve, lwy was robbed of 2 some months, like twice got a fraud one for wil when ls was the higgest charted song that year

by their 7 year 2ne1 was basically blacklisted, snsd was out charred by sistar and who knows when the other ggs will be when attention span of gp has reduce to the size of a lime

no bp fault they can keep the gp interest for years :pepepizza:

• Wholesomeness? Image? BP is all about being cool, trendy, celebrity focused. Have very little come backs, don't really project an openness due to how their company allows them interact with the public and others.

TWICE though are the girl next door, wholesome, good natured, friendly, very open to the public, interact with them a lot, go out of their way to do other stuff like shows, skits, charity work, youtube shows. They are like the "model" image of what a "traditional" idol should be.

What BP has isn't bad and they are extremely popular with the young generations in Korea but its for other things and for things the general public probably don't really care about. I get the impression the general public know more about the personalities and character of TWICE members than they really do of BP purely because they'd not had as much face time as TWICE.

This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

~Jeongyeon4eva~

• the gp do not care for twice, its not 2016

• gonna leave this here there are more but these girls are always trending they definitely are loved in Korea

• is that why bp has been topping gallup list for ggs since 2020 :pleading: also if gaon no.1 is the only criteria to be a top gg, then sistar would be considered above snsd in korea during 2nd gen, also can we drop that outdated bp has no fans in korea, their recent 2 day concert in seoul is literally one of the highest grossing 2 day gg concerts in sk

• In general, Korea and Asia are still relatively conservative when it comes to women, and also just things in general. Things like swearing, smoking, tattoos etc are also generally frowned upon. So those "innocent" and girly type concepts will likely be more popular amongst the general public. I'd say that many non-westernised Asian parents would be more okay with their kids listening/watching the likes of SNSD, Gfriend, Twice, New Jeans etc vs BP and groups more similar to them.

Blackpink is a great group, but there's an element of their domestic popularity that is influenced by them being from YG and the fact they are the biggest global gg. Success breeds success.

If they were from say DSP and not the representative Hallyu girl group, I don't think they'd have as much domestic support.

How many specifically girl crush groups really hit big in Korea? BP and 2ne1 are probably the only ones I can think of.

Every other group that's been huge in Korea have mostly followed the innocent/girly type of concepts. SES, SNSD, WG, KARA, Tara, Twice, RV, OMG, Ive, New Jeans etc.

• but blackpink is loved in Korea though Jennie is literally the it girl there not even twice had an it girl and they were topping gallop 2 consecutive years if I'm not mistaken no other 3rd gg did it. I think people here forget or have bad memory also blackpink represent the girls other wants to be they are seen as glamorous but with softer side since they liked their cute side as well.

• For context:

BP 9 longest running songs on Gaon 100

Total: 417 weeks with 3 hitting #1. One of the 9 songs is a b-side

1. As If It's Your Last - 67 weeks
    2. Lovesick Girls - 65 weeks
    3. How You Like That - 63 weeks
    4. DDU-DU DDU-DU - 51 weeks
    5. Playing With the - 51 weeks
    6. Forever Young - 37 weeks
    7. Whistle - 33 weeks
    8. Kill This Love - 26 weeks
    9. Pink Venom - 24 weeks (still charting)

Twice's - 398 weeks, almost 20 weeks less, with 9 number one songs.

1. CHEER UP — 66
    2. DTNA— 61
    3. OOH-AHH — 49
    4. TT — 44
    5. YES or YES — 42
    6. LIKEY — 39
    7. Heart Shaker — 35
    8. What is Love? — 32
    9. KNOCK KNOCK — 30

The funny part is, if you count the weeks in the top 10 for each of these, BP's songs had about 20 more weeks in the top 10 despite only 3 hitting #1. Korea really listened hard for a week and realized the songs weren't very good and dropped them pretty fast I guess.

• Koreans and Japanese love the cute concepts. The rest of the world cringe.

Twice's music in more recent times has evolved to suit more the global market, and hence they are not charting as well as in the debut years in Korea.

• It's more like typical dream girls for Korean to be cute young girl not strong hard woke women and some women even get hate for being feminist so Blackpink couldn't make it as national dream girl or another example SNSD debut was flop until they release cute song called GEE that's my theory

• but blackpink is loved in Korea though Jennie is literally the it girl there not even twice had an it girl and they were topping gallop 2 consecutive years if I'm not mistaken no other 3rd gg did it. I think people here forget or have bad memory also blackpink represent the girls other wants to be they are seen as glamorous but with softer side since they liked their cute side as well.

Ah, I'm not saying BP isn't popular. Rather my thoughts on why other concepts are generally more likely to blow up in Korea compared to BP-esque girl crush.

• This thread contains 176 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!