Why were BTS and Blackpink never able to surpass BigBang and SNSD in Korea?

• Possible explanations:

I think in BTS case they were seen as just another kpop boy group. They are huge yes but they are more TVXQ while BigBang is more Epik High. Meaning BTS is an idol group and more fandom driven by female fans while BigBang is seen as artists who appeal to the general public because of more artistic music.

Blackpink case is easier to solve. Girl crush doesn't sell in Korea as well as cute concept. This is why 2NE1 lost to SNSD every single time.

Plus these two groups have been out a lot longer so naturally more people know them and have grown to love them.

BigBang and SNSD are still to this day the King and Queen of Korea.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Time to promote cute BTS again!!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com

• Boooooo I thought we were getting somewhere with that last thread and you were trying to revamp your image as a troll

Lol how is this trolling? I dropped facts in original post.

• An eye for an eye drew, Why are BigBang and SNSD never able to surpass BTS and BP globally?

Cause they are from 2nd gen. The reach of kpop wasn't close to what it is now.

Even if BTS debuted in 2006 like BigBang they would be nugu cause YouTube and social media was an infant.

• Lol how is this trolling? I dropped facts in original post.

*subjective opinions that aren't going to lead to a useful discussion and consequently the thread won't go anywhere. where are the facts and numbers that support your argument?

that last thread was a great example of something that could actually lead to an interesting discussion (even though your op was worded a bit...weird), and it's nearly at 6 pages now

• I actually agree with you with BB and SNSD being still the biggest groups in SK like their recognition are something that no other group got. But that's my opinion and apparently it's just us two thinking like this kkkkk

Or SK with BB Still Life being the biggest bg song last year with a cute huge margin.

• *subjective opinions that aren't going to lead to a useful discussion and consequently the thread won't go anywhere. where are the facts and numbers that support your argument?

that last thread was a great example of something that could actually lead to an interesting discussion (even though your op was worded a bit...weird), and it's nearly at 6 pages now

Well anyone is welcome to kick off the discussion and prove me wrong.

SNSD is still to this day always ranked #1 as the greatest girl group ever in kpop.

BigBang reign is even more impressive because of all the scandals yet they came back last year and broke records. Korea still loves them.

• Well anyone is welcome to kick off the discussion and prove me wrong.

SNSD is still to this day always ranked #1 as the greatest girl group ever in kpop.

BigBang reign is even more impressive because of all the scandals yet they came back last year and broke records. Korea still loves them.

Well SNSD I agree with. BigBang not so much

• Well SNSD I agree with. BigBang not so much

Come on now don't act like you don't know how huge they were during 2nd gen. Also the "Made" album is the 2nd biggest boy group comeback of all time after TVXQ "Mirotic" in 2008.

• Come on now don't act like you don't know how huge they were during 2nd gen. Also the "Made" album is the 2nd biggest boy group comeback of all time after TVXQ "Mirotic" in 2008.

Only thing that makes them incomparable to BB then is their fanbase. They were flops when it comes to selling power especially compared to other 2nd gen boy groups. BTS' fanbase domestically is on another level.

• Only thing that makes them incomparable to BB then is their fanbase. They were flops when it comes to selling power especially compared to other 2nd gen boy groups. BTS' fanbase domestically is on another level.

Still Life didn't even have really good longevity compared to Forever 1 which had a lower peak, I think that says alot

• BTS didn't have the digital landscape that the late 2000s had, downloads were basically unregulated.

Also BTS has topped Gallup's annual poll in Korea 5 times, that's more than SNSD (2009-2011) and BIGBANG (2015) combined.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• BTS are legends in Korea. Whole exemption debate is legendary. And now them joining army won them public respect even more. They move as group because it is their brand. Stop making fan fiction. Dynamite is biggest hit of 2020s decade. And one of biggest hits of all time in Korea for reason.

The day BTS members decide to go for acting it will be game over for many. So many movie directors have said they wanna work with them. So please do your research.

And bp is no less popular than snsd. You think they are not because they are not always on TV like snsd members. Only few members of old groups are relevant today.

Past always look good. Jennie is it girl of her generation for a reason and she didn't need acting like yoona to stay relevant. All bp members don't need countless local endorsements for money as they get massive global deals. Jennie even took away jun ji hyun cfs in Korea who is true cf queen of all time.

• while yes i know BIGBANG & SNSD are popular & amazing on their own , BTS & BLACKPINK are more iconic & legendary.

BTS has the song with longest charting in MelOn history with that song being Spring Day & BTS is the most awarded artist in SK history (71 daesangs)

BP is the GG with most 1 billion M/Vs & arguably one of the most iconic along with TWICE.

while yes SNSD & BigBang are legendary, maybe the other two groups mentioned have had a bigger & more powerful cover & impact.

but to each their own opinion

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• for some reason which kpop companies are still trying to figure out, bts got a lot of attention internationally (specifically in the US) so they juggled their promo time between US and korea

they could have focused more on korea (in terms of vaiety shows etc) but then the us stadium tours are more profitable

• An eye for an eye drew, Why are BigBang and SNSD never able to surpass BTS and BP globally?

Coz' they paved the way! ;-)

• I actually agree with you with BB and SNSD being still the biggest groups in SK like their recognition are something that no other group got. But that's my opinion and apparently it's just us two thinking like this kkkkk

Or SK with BB Still Life being the biggest bg song last year with a cute huge margin.

I agree too.

• No one paved way for BTS. They paved their own way. Big three fans now wanna take BTS achievements for their faves when everyone and their grannie knows they are self made and made their own journey🤣.

Did they start the idol culture and focusing more on fandoms than the gp?

• Did they start the idol culture and focusing more on fandoms than the gp?

Neither did your faves. They are the ones who made success in koop globally outside hallyu countries in massive way. Not just one or two tv flop slots. They are the ones who created billions of dollars in impact and caused exemption debate. Your fave paved nothing for them. They made their own journey. And set new standards of success.

• No one paved way for BTS. They paved their own way. Big three fans now wanna take BTS achievements for their faves when everyone and their grannie knows they are self made and made their own journey🤣.

Paving the way doesn't mean that all the Grammys, Emmy Awards and Golden Globe Awards that BTS has won belong to Big Bang or Snsd, no. And it doesn't mean that Bts don't work hard.

It means that BTS have worked super hard to get to where they are using the idol formula and social media created and started by other people as shown by their senior idols.

I heard that some Bts member(s) looked up to Big Bang as trainees and rookies.

Besides Big Bang made the whole idol rapper thing popular beyond Korea.

There is so much that Big Bang and Snsd did for the growth of Kpop in general before BTS was a thing regardless of whether you believe it or not. And no one is trying to claim that BTS success is doesn't belong to them.

• BTS don't owe their success to any big three group. Being fan of seniors doesn't mean they owe their success and idol concept was stolen from Japan. Your faves don't own it💀 Being idols doesn't mean older groups owned it. 💀 That is like saying vocalists are successful because of mariah Carey or freddie Mercury only. 🤣

BTS paved their own way and their brought the prestige globally. They didn't have massive budget etc. BTS success is their own and no one else can have a pie in it. Especially big three fans with their new narratives

BTS took idol growth to another universe. Noone is even close to it.

• Neither did your faves. They are the ones who made success in koop globally outside hallyu countries in massive way. Not just one or two tv flop slots. They are the ones who created billions of dollars in impact and caused exemption debate. Your fave paved nothing for them. They made their own journey. And set new standards of success.

SM started the idol culture and SM made Snsd and SM made Kpop mainstream in Japan with BoA and from Japan it spread to Asia then later the whole world.

Also with their American debuts, many Kpop companies learnt what not to do while promoting in America. BoA was simply ahead of her time in everything she did.

And that doesn't take anything away from BTS.

• BTS don't owe their success to any big three group. Being fan of seniors doesn't mean they owe their success and idol concept was stolen from Japan. Your faves don't own it💀

BTS paved their own way and their brought the prestige globally. They didn't have massive budget etc. BTS success is their own and no one else can have a pie in it. Especially big three fans with their new narratives

BTS took idol growth to another universe. Noone is even close to it.

Who says they do?

• Nope whatever reasons you try to put here to act like BTS copied your faves, they didn't. They made great music which connected to masses across the world and hence got invited to awards. They paved their own way and BTS made their success on their own. Yes new hybe groups has privilege. BTS didn't.

• Nope whatever reasons you try to put here to act like BTS copied your faves, they didn't. They made great music which connected to masses across the world and hence got invited to awards. They paved their own way and BTS made their success on their own. Yes new hybe groups has privilege. BTS didn't.

I guess you should talk about things that Bts pioneered and that's all.

us three :P

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Maybe because 2nd gen was the epitom of Kpop success in Korea

not only their groups were massive names

but as individuals too they weere ultra popular and every tv channel wanted them on their show to boost their audience

I mean look at the the current show audience when they get currrent kpop group as guest compare to when people like SNSD or Kara appear there, it's very different

also i don't think it's still the case for Bigbang after their massive scandal

but the respect Koreans have for SNSD is amazing and they really treasure the name and impact that SNSD left in Korea

Furthermore i think Koreans seems to have a high standard of respect to SNSD and other 2nd gen groups because they are the one who made kpop more popular globally, because during 1st gen Kpop was only limited to Koreans theeir music couldn't expan further

and with 2nd gen groups kpop start to go global with Kpop groups doing show overseas, Kpop groups becoming massive superstar in Japan, Kpop groups appearing in the US and global media doing a lot of articles talking about the hallyu wave

+ thanks to 2nd gen expanding the horizon of kpop they also spread the Kbeauty and Kdrama culture

and I think Koreans see them as the precursor that's why theey are so respected and that they even put SNSD as the Treasure of South korea on their touristic brochure

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• This thread contains 16 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!