Jun Ji Hyun

• I. Get To Know Her

Jun Ji-Hyun was born Wang Ji-Hyun on October 30, 1981, in Seoul, South Korea.

As a young girl, she yearned to become a flight attendant, though her mother and friends motivated her to endeavour into modelling and acting.

At the age of 16, she got introduced to a photographer by one of her high school friends who were already into modelling. From then on she would gradually garner attention as a commercial model and despite her debut in both films and TV in the late 1990s she strived to make a mark as an actress.

In 1999 she became an instant sensation! Drawing the young generation with her pose, posture and dance moves in a commercial for Samsung My Jet Printer.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jun Ji-Hyun's dreams came true when her big break came after a couple of years with the mega-blockbuster hit rom-com ‘My Sassy Girl’ that emerged as one of the all-time highest-grossing Korean comedies. ‘My Sassy Girl’ led her to pan-Asia stardom. The flick not only cemented her position as a Korean star but also transpired her among the top Hallyu stars in the Chinese-language market.

This mega-blockbuster hit also earned her the nickname in Korea as, “Nation’s First Love”.

Such success paved her way for many other notable works including in films like ‘Assassination’, ‘The Thieves’; and TV series like ‘The Legend of the Blue Sea’ and ‘My Love from the Star’ which gained Jun Ji-Hyun international acclaim and cemented her position as one of the top Hallyu stars.

In 2020 she made her big appearance in one of the most talked-about Netflix shows, ‘Kingdom’ where she will reprise her role in the prequel and ‘Cliffhanger’ being her follow-up role in 2022.

She has since been leaving her mark in the Korean entertainment industry and is still one of the most influential Korean stars.

II. Filmography

Year Film Title
    1999 White Valentine
    2000 II Mare (A Love Story)
    2001 My Sassy Girl
    2003 The Uninvited
    2004 Windstruck
    2006 Daisy
    2008 A Man Who Was Superman
    2009 Blood: The Last Vampire
    2011 Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
    2012 The Thieves
    2013 The Berlin Fire
    2015 Assassination

Year Tv Series Title
    1998 Fascinate My Heart
    1999 Happy Together
    2013-2014 My Love From Another Star
    2016-2017 Legend of the Blue Sea
    2020 Kingdom
    2021 Kingdom: Ashin of The North
    2021 Cliffhanger

Awards & Nominations

III. Music Video Appearances

IV. Facts

• Jun Ji-hyun’s first debut interview
    • She is also known as Gianna Jun.
    • She is a Buddhist.
    • Her favourite colour is white.
    • She was once an emcee for SBS’s “Inkigayo.”
    • In 1997 she was discovered by a fashion editor and signed her first modelling contract.
    • She was pregnant while filming the movie “Assassination”.
    • During her childhood, Jun Ji Hyun dreamed of becoming a flight attendant. However, after a plane flight experience, she gave up this dream.
    • Jun Ji Hyun married her long-time friend Choi Joon-hyuk on April 13th, 2012 at the world-famous Shilla Hotel.
    • She launched her own luxury jeans brand, “Gianna by True Religion”.
    • She has two children.
    • She is referred to as one of "The Troika" along with Kim Tae-hee and Song Hye-kyo, collectively known by the acronym "Tae-Hye-Ji".