Time showed that both Somi and Itzy were a loss for each other

• Stans spent eternity arguing whether JYP kicked Somi out, or the latter turned out to be a prodigal son, backstabbing JYP and leaving for the competitor. Whether "Yuna>>>>>>>>" or "Muh Teddy music>>>>>". But in the end, I think it is pretty clear that both Itzy and Somi would be doing better together. Somi has something Itzy lacks and Itzy has something Somi lacks in order to hit daebak.

Personally, if it was Somi's choice, I totally understand her. She's a traumatized kid, going through not just one but two survivals, and then being in a limbo for a while. Something could've broken in her. But if it was JYP's choice to not debut her with Itzy, then honestly, fuck that guy, again.

• not i dont think so. Somi obviously left jyp adter she was poached by yg. Yg has big connections in fashion and modeling industry and you see somi is doing multiple brand endorsements and even global endorsement. I will not be surprised if yg gives her greater push in usa by collabs and global brand deals.

Itzy is gorgeous and talented but jyp is not that powerful and connected like yg. Well even if they wanted to replace somi; lily would be a better option as she is english speaker and western style singer. But jyp dont know how to make individual idol brand. like itzy members barely get solo projects and jyp stuck them with kids songs which even kids dont listen. Jyp has top global girl group twice and cant get them good brand deals like yg.

• Itzy have done very well, and are are still doing well. Plus, they have another single upcoming that JYP preferred.

Somi is one of the richest idols for her age, not counting family money. Somi is still well known by the GP six years after her reality show success, despite blackpink-like release schedules. Somi has almost as many big-name brand deals as IU. All this and she is still younger than almost all popular soloists and near the beginning of her solo career. Seems like a good choice to me.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But as a fan:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

Edited 4 times, last by hammerstan ().

Itzy have done very well, and are are still doing well. Plus, they have another single upcoming that JYP preferred.

I've seen this take before elsewhere and this is like... absolute bananas. This is just insanity writ large- the songs 4 days old and many Midzy's have already moved on or talking about the promise of the next single.

JYP co-composed and co-arranged MITM, which on an aggregate is their most widely panned Title Track. Whose to say his vague promise of another single is any better?

All the promos, the entire TT and Video... already passed over. Just really indicative. Any the thing that's posted? Oh Itzy are fine partially because of next single?

Itzy ARE fine (I wish one of my groups like Lightsum could reach 60 on melon), but saying their fine due to in part the next single, 4 days after the one just released (and a 10 month gap between Korean titles) doesn't give the impression of strong conviction.

• I think Somi saw what JYP was doing to Twice, bleeding them dry to the point where they were all experiencing physical and mental breakdowns, and she and her family NOPED out of that right quick. I think she wanted to do things on her terms, and the one thing Black Label/YGE acts get is the ability to do things at their own pace, even if that means long ass hiatuses.

Ultimately, it worked out for both of them. Somi is one of the most in demand celebrities in SK, she has had a crazy amount of bigtime Korean and global endorsement deals and ads, she is very well known amongst the GP. The downside of course is that her music hasnt been quite as consistent both in terms of charting and quantity.

Itzy has become a leader in 4th gen, i dont care what the K charts say, they're still selling over 700k albums and still charting globally. The downside of course is that JYP has screwed them over with the lack of individual promotions but that's par for the course with that dumb company (i think Yuna especially couldve been an It Girl in 4th gen).

I personally would love to see her reunite with Twice, not Itzy actually. I want them to do a comeback together, or better yet, have her be a guest feature in every comeback, whether in the title track or in a B side. If Twice's Second Stage is about international expansion and conquering the US market, it would synergize well with Somi's 4d personality and English skills, she could literally be the RM of the group, helping them navigate local promotional activities.

• I personally would love to see her reunite with Twice, not Itzy actually. I want them to do a comeback together, or better yet, have her be a guest feature in every comeback, whether in the title track or in a B side. If Twice's Second Stage is about international expansion and conquering the US market, it would synergize well with Somi's 4d personality and English skills, she could literally be the RM of the group, helping them navigate local promotional activities.

:whatb:

:nob:

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• Having endorsement deals is great for the money. But if can't chart consistently, the person would be an non entity in the industry.

Somi has age on her side, but if she doesn't release at reasonable intervals.. she is going to vanish.

Solos have an entire different dynamic than groups. And need GP support more.

Acts like Bibi and particularly AleXa will cut into Somi's market, unless YG TBL gets it act together.

As to Itzy, They might be the RV of 4th gen, successful yet not the pinnacle of GGs. Individual focus apart, JYPE ensures productivity and profitability. It is the post group career that's the concern, but still early given that Twice is only now branching out.

The premise of the OP is pointless, done is done.

Just because both Somi and Itzy haven't hit gold separately, is no evidence that they could have done it together.

• Having endorsement deals is great for the money. But if can't chart consistently, the person would be an non entity in the industry.

Somi has age on her side, but if she doesn't release at reasonable intervals.. she is going to vanish.

I feel this largely undercuts domestic appeal and visibility.

Somi has amazing domestic recognition. She may not chart in the top 10 but she doesn't have to - she's still a CF and variety go-to.

There are plenty of go to female solo artists in Korea who don't particularly hit top 10 every comeback but still have no trouble booking gigs and appearances.

All of AleXa's success has been offshore. The notion that she'll somehow replace Somi is wilding.

Charts are useful metrics in some ways, but in others, particularly soloists, charts are not the most important metric. There's plenty of artists who haven't hit top 10 in quite a while but can still book solid appearances and CF's when they like.

• 2021 was good for her, she needs more such years.

CFs as I mentioned good for the money, but K-pop is about music, rest is just bonus.

Then can we count say Seo Hyun Jin as a K-pop success, after all she was once an idol?

Acting, CF, Varieties are peripheral, maybe for a K-Modelling forum

I mentioned AleXa because Somi's advantage in appealing to West by language and culture, is not the unique any more. It is the foreign market implied, am I nuts to mention AleXa in the context of Korea?

• I mean it's fine to mention foreign markets, but why earlier then are you focused on domestic charts and then pivot to foreign market later?

Here's what you said earlier

Having endorsement deals is great for the money. <-- Domestic

But if can't chart consistently, the person would be an non entity in the industry. <-- Domestic

Solos have an entire different dynamic than groups. And need GP support more. <-- Domestic

Acts like Bibi and particularly AleXa will cut into Somi's market, <-- You argument after the last 3 points that this is foreign markets?

• I think you assumed I meant domestic, all the points are applicable to both markets to different extents.

I did not intend to separate out the markets.

Bibi for example would be domestic rival and Alexa a foreign one

Frankly I am not too interested in this topic to present a very specfic argument.

I liked IOI, hence a passing interest. That's all.

Take it or leave it

• In no way, in any dreamt up scenario, can you talk about Kpop and "GP" meaning general population and mean anything other than domestic.

There is no "general population" internationally. Cmon now.

• I personally would love to see her reunite with Twice, not Itzy actually. I want them to do a comeback together, or better yet, have her be a guest feature in every comeback, whether in the title track or in a B side. If Twice's Second Stage is about international expansion and conquering the US market, it would synergize well with Somi's 4d personality and English skills, she could literally be the RM of the group, helping them navigate local promotional activities.

Omg, an OT10 Twice Somi stan

:boredr::boredr::boredr:

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• I personally would love to see her reunite with Twice, not Itzy actually. I want them to do a comeback together, or better yet, have her be a guest feature in every comeback, whether in the title track or in a B side.

Well Sejeong has better chances of featuring/working with Twice then Somi.

Strong friendship with Jihyo.

AF cover praised by JYP himself on public forum.

And Jelpi is not as much as industry rival like YG is.

• Somi is better off solo. She’s doing very well and probably makes more money than any individual itzy memeber

Somi has stated that she bought her parents a building for their store, and a car. She has also bought herself a 400K$ car... Probably more than 2+ Itzy members. Probably more than Twice members, except Nayeon now. Only BP members clearly earn way more than her.

Having endorsement deals is great for the money. But if can't chart consistently, the person would be an non entity in the industry.

People have been saying something like this since late 2017, yet Somi has been able to maintain GP interest all this time (about six years), despite consistently long delays between releases and multiple non-hits (all her singles have been top 40 though). What you are saying applies to 99% of young idols, but clearly not Somi for some reason.

• People have been saying something like this since late 2017, yet Somi has been able to maintain GP interest all this time (about six years), despite consistently long delays between releases. What you are saying applies to 99% of young idols, but clearly not Somi for some reason.

Did I imply that it applies to Somi alone? Should I bother mentioning it applies to all, on a thread about Somi and Itzy?

GP can be interested in models, variety actors and all sorts of things.

But Kpop is primarily about 'music', rest are peripheral.

• Did I imply that it applies to Somi alone? Should I bother mentioning it applies to all, on a thread about Somi and Itzy?

GP can be interested in models, variety actors and all sorts of things.

But Kpop is primarily about 'music', rest are peripheral.

I said it applies to almost all young idols, except Somi.

Probably because Somi's top-class skill is her charisma, which is highly transferable to anything in the entertainment industry, including being an influencer, which is her current method of maintaining her fame between long music hiatuses. Somi's charisma also developed her fame very quickly, so that she is more like a veteran idol, despite her age. The GP is willing to wait much longer for veteran idol releases/hits. For example, Sunmi hasn't had a hit in a while, but the GP will still pay attention and I wouldn't be surprised if her next release was a hit (or that she would even have a next release).

• I said it applies to almost all young idols, except Somi.

Probably because Somi's top-class skill is her charisma, which is highly transferable to anything in the entertainment industry, including being an influencer, which is her current method of maintaining her fame between long music hiatuses. Somi's charisma also developed her fame very quickly, so that she is more like a veteran idol, despite her age. The GP is willing to wait much longer for veteran idol releases/hits. For example, Sunmi hasn't had a hit in a while, but the GP will still pay attention and I wouldn't be surprised if her next release was a hit (or that she would even have a next release).

Well if I can presume on behalf of the undefined GP, you can do so as well.

I believe Somi should do more music, else her career will be a wasted opportunity. You can believe that she can just be 'famous for being famous' Kardashian model and build a fortune based on that.

But I am not too interested in this subject, to bother defending my line of thought.

• Well if I can presume on behalf of the undefined GP, you can do so as well.

I believe Somi should do more music, else her career will be a wasted opportunity. You can believe that she can just be 'famous for being famous' Kardashian model and build a fortune based on that.

But I am not too interested in this subject, to bother defending my line of thought.

I dont think anyone expects her to be a Kardashian level influencer lol. But she is an demand model and celebrity who can pretty much go on any program or sell any product she wants in Korea. Given some luck and the right marketing, she could even gain a foothold in the US. I mean she's got really strong views off her Vogue video last February, going against some solid well known local celebrities.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 115854.png

• I dont think anyone expects her to be a Kardashian level influencer lol. But she is an demand model and celebrity who can pretty much go on any program or sell any product she wants in Korea. Given some luck and the right marketing, she could even gain a foothold in the US. I mean she's got really strong views off her Vogue video last February, going against some solid well known local celebrities.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 115854.png

Not 'Kardashian level' but 'Kardashian Type'.. I am not much interested in people parlaying something 'charisma' into 'influence' etc.,

I like people who actually produce something of substance and their fame is associated with that.

But that is just me.. she or anyone can do whatever they want.

• There’s a difference between being a musician and being a celebrity. JYP has musicians and performers. YG seems to want celebrities.

Who cares how many CFs you get. If you say your passion is music, writing, producing, dance- but only release stuff once a year- then are you successful in what you set out to do??

Complain about Itzy all you want, but these girls are TRULY booked where it matters- multiple comebacks, international tours, etc.

• There’s a difference between being a musician and being a celebrity. JYP has musicians and performers. YG seems to want celebrities.

Who cares how many CFs you get. If you say your passion is music, writing, producing, dance- but only release stuff once a year- then are you successful in what you set out to do??

Complain about Itzy all you want, but these girls are TRULY booked where it matters- multiple comebacks, international tours, etc.

Kinda hate Itzy's music but this is true. I bet they're happy despite angy kpop forum fights.

• Ok I'm probably coming in hot with an unpopular take but no. If it had to be about being together, then Somi needs ITZY a lot more than ITZY needs Somi. And honestly Somi is gonna be fine in the long run, but there's always been a quality missing about her that all the members of ITZY have. Don't get me wrong, Somi tries hard and does everything in the idol playbook right, but for one reason or another it translates to something that feels inauthentic when she performs. I think it's probably a wee bit of lack of confidence. There's something where she's not 100% committing. Again it's not about her work ethic.

Yeji, Ryujin, Chaeryeong and Yuna on the other hand are fearless which is why they have such convincing performances. Lia struggles with the fearlessness a bit in terms of the choreo, but that's not why she's in the group, it's for her strong vocals.

It really pains me to say it because Somi is good peoples, I got love for her from Sixteen, she's very supportive of her peers in the industry and as far as I can tell a good gal. But Yuna, who's the replacement for Somi, has been an absolute gift to ITZY despite how young she is.

• Stans spent eternity arguing whether JYP kicked Somi out, or the latter turned out to be a prodigal son, backstabbing JYP and leaving for the competitor. Whether "Yuna>>>>>>>>" or "Muh Teddy music>>>>>". But in the end, I think it is pretty clear that both Itzy and Somi would be doing better together. Somi has something Itzy lacks and Itzy has something Somi lacks in order to hit daebak.

Personally, if it was Somi's choice, I totally understand her. She's a traumatized kid, going through not just one but two survivals, and then being in a limbo for a while. Something could've broken in her. But if it was JYP's choice to not debut her with Itzy, then honestly, fuck that guy, again.

FYIwFANXwAEMUTA?format=jpg&name=small

• Some of the best and most acclaimed musicians in the world only put out a song or album every 3-4 years.

That’s only after spending countless years releasing amazing, chart topping, ground breaking music. The key is consistency. Has Somi done that??

Theres a reason why y’all only mention her CFs. The truth is she is not the best dancer, she is not the best singer, and she is not the best performer. In fact, I would argue that the only reason she’s so popular is because of Koreans obsessions with western (white) features. I rest my case

• That’s only after spending countless years releasing amazing, chart topping, ground breaking music. The key is consistency. Has Somi done that??

Theres a reason why y’all only mention her CFs. The truth is she is not the best dancer, she is not the best singer, and she is not the best performer. In fact, I would argue that the only reason she’s so popular is because of Koreans obsessions with western (white) features. I rest my case

This kinda reductionist take conveniently ignores that Somi was a regular on several majorly popular varieties for about 4 years straight, after being a popular member of two different reality shows.

You could maybe argue it was purely off of her looks back in 2016, but now, Somi's pretty well known for having an incredibly strong variety run.

• That’s only after spending countless years releasing amazing, chart topping, ground breaking music. The key is consistency. Has Somi done that??

No, plenty of Artists take 3-4 years between albums in general. My comment was aimed at the "must release every year" blah blah blah.

Psy just took 4 + years between releases and topped the chart. There's no hard and set requirement for releasing and still being popular. And you are massively under-estimating how popular Somi is in Korea. Who cares if it's looks or otherwise? She's a household name, and if she wants to only drop a song every 2 years and then do CF and Variety, she's still going to be extremely well remunerated.

I mean she didn't have any music between her solo release and IoI, yet she got deals, varieties etc.. she's been doing this game for a while now and hasn't really lost momentum.

Who the fuck cares about Best Dancer etc.. this topic is basically are they doing fine apart or not, and the conjecture is Somi is perfectly fine. You think Psy is the best dancer in the land? You think Nayeon is the best singer in the land? I mean what is this "must be this tall to ride" rubbish.

Rest your case? You have a crack at Koreans, you have a crack at Somi, and all because people dared to suggest she's fine solo. You're a strange cat.

• Both sides are happy with their things,why bother

Somi is happy with her relaxed celebrity life. Not everyone wants to work their *ss off during their golden period. Life is supposed to be enjoyed, especially after going through the pandemic. Itzy is okay working hard with JYP, why bother

• not i dont think so. Somi obviously left jyp adter she was poached by yg. Yg has big connections in fashion and modeling industry and you see somi is doing multiple brand endorsements and even global endorsement. I will not be surprised if yg gives her greater push in usa by collabs and global brand deals.

Itzy is gorgeous and talented but jyp is not that powerful and connected like yg. Well even if they wanted to replace somi; lily would be a better option as she is english speaker and western style singer. But jyp dont know how to make individual idol brand. like itzy members barely get solo projects and jyp stuck them with kids songs which even kids dont listen. Jyp has top global girl group twice and cant get them good brand deals like yg.

even yg will push her shes not gonna be big with her gratting voice and her voice isn’t her talent at all

• Some people using this thread to out their apparent hate-boners for Somi, which they have for some weird reason.

I mean I'm not her fan, but she seems fine. Not sure why people have this irrational hatred of her.

I'd just avoid twicesuuuu and Morgan-Vanessa in the future. Pretty clearly unhinged people.

• I think it’s pretty freaking obvious why Somi left. She wanted to debut solo and have control over her work whether it’s music, advertisement, or variety/tv and this was something a group nor JYP could probably give.

• I think it’s pretty freaking obvious why Somi left. She wanted to debut solo and have control over her work whether it’s music, advertisement, or variety/tv and this was something a group nor JYP could probably give.

If somi debut in itzy, she wont get as much as solo endorsement and variety as she currently does. She is smart to get out fast cause JYP is just bad at creating career for individual members

• This thread contains 15 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!