Why can't NCT Dream hit big in the US like SKZ?

• Every time a discussion like this comes up there are times when I want to give a ''proper analysis'',then at other times I realize that it really isn't rocket science

Sometimes things are simply what they are,there doesn't need to be complex reasoning behind it.

• with dreamus everything is possible, although SM prefers to give NCT127 the pass.

Capitol signed NCT 127 ahead of their North American tour and handles distribution through their special subsidiary. They also distribute the all-unit releases (Resonance, etc).

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• First off, I’ll say that SKZ is great and well done to them on their success. I don’t think you have to put them down to ask the question about Dream. I know that’s what you do, but…

SKZ have done a fantastic job engaging with the market and fandom in the US by providing constant content, as well as a musical style that resonates with the American marketplace. (I can’t speak to their marketing because I don’t know - just what I’ve seen from the outside.)

As for NCT Dream, the group has never been marketed to the US. This sub-unit was really built for the Korean market, where 127 was built for the international market. The very cute kid concept and sweetness of the musical style - while playing well in Korea - was not well suited to the US market. (You probably could have gone with Disney Channel audience as your target market but the language barrier is even bigger with that demo - see the note below.) Plus the group was supposed to be rotational and that’s another barrier to interest.

Additionally, NCT 127 did a lot of promotion, from radio shows to late night TV to the American Music Awards. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - if you don’t have an English speaker or two, and preferably charismatic ones, it can be extremely difficult to gain traction in America. When Mark graduated in 2018, Dream did not have a fluent English speaker - so that’s nearly 2 years lost in the market. In contrast, 127 had three and Taeyong and Doyoung have both highlighted their growth as capable speakers in the years since they started marketing here, so that makes over half the group.

Having just posted the Sticker cb here vs the GM cb, I’m paying more attention to the marketing strategy of both groups. 127 marketing aggressively targets me as an American - they’re on Kelly and James Corden, I can preorder online at Target, I can preorder on Apple and “presave” it to auto load for me in Spotify. All of this is supplemented with a steady stream of English content and promos, in addition to the subtitled stuff. (I’m also getting constant contact from Spotify, etc, based on my purchase behavior as an NCT fan.)

None of this happened with NCT Dream - hell, most of those members don’t even have an IG account (which is not a marketing thing by SM, members have said that’s their choice, but it certainly has an impact on reaching a market that may not know much about them, esp in contrast to chatty Taeyong, Johnny and Doyoung on IG. Haechan just launched his and Mark launched his in the past year but Jeno, Chenle and Jisung don’t have IGs. That’s about half the group. In contrast, 8 of 9 members in NCT 127 and all the WayV members have them.)

All of that sort of Buzzfeed, Teen Vogue, Cosmo stuff I’ve never seen NCT Dream do like I have other groups. I also don’t see them distributed here to buy at Target, like I do with NCT (the all unit stuff like Resonance) and NCT 127.

So it’s not surprising to me that NCT 127 can debut at #3 or SKZ at #1 while Dream does not chart at all. Now that Dream has shifted its musical style and content strategy, I’ll be curious to see if the marketing also shifts to reach more markets - the fact that they’re going to a European festival tells me there may be a shift on the way?

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Having just posted the Sticker cb here vs the GM cb, I’m paying more attention to the marketing strategy of both groups. 127 marketing aggressively targets me as an American - they’re on Kelly and James Corden, I can preorder online at Target, I can preorder on Apple and “presave” it to auto load for me in Spotify. All of this is supplemented with a steady stream of English content and promos, in addition to the subtitled stuff. (I’m also getting constant contact from Spotify, etc, based on my purchase behavior as an NCT fan.)

It's also worth noting that NCT Dream did heavy promotional work on Melon vs Spotify/Apple which is what most Western facing kpop groups for.

• Bestie you're too smart for this thread

• US and western markets in general likes the image of "self made" artists that are involved in the process of making their music.

JYPE is better at cultivating idols that are involved with the material that they put out than SM Entertainment and they are also better at branding said image.

Also, no1 in Dream (no shade) has BangChan's sex appeal :pepe-flirt:

• US and western markets in general likes the image of "self made" artists that are involved in the process of making their music.

JYPE is better at cultivating idols that are involved with the material that they put out than SM Entertainment and they are also better at branding said image.

Also, no1 in Dream (no shade) has BangChan's sex appeal :pepe-flirt:

what exactly is bangchans sex appeal? :pepe-notes::pepe-notes::pepe-notes::pepe-notes:

• I mean neither really hit big in the u.s

Who has more comparative streams from the US that’ll prolly be a better indication to compare between the two. And that’s not really as strictly dependent on things like album distribution or signing with a label as much. Kpop groups were able to get success even without all the promo or marketing.

• Incredibly well spoken as always and a great analysis. I learned a ton reading this and knew I could trust you to be a voice of reason. Neos are lucky to have you. Have a great day/night!

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!