If boy groups sell better why do companies make Girl groups?

• Genuine question.

I love my favorite GG's, but I always wonder why companies make girl groups if boy groups could make them more money/sell more?

Blackpink

and Twice are exceptions IMO

( but they are anomalies)

• Go to Best Answer
  • WELL WE CAN'T JUST HAVE BORING MEN RUNNING AROUND!!!! GIRLS MAKE GOOD MUSIC!!! AND THEY SELL FINE, IN BIG COMPANIES THO, PLUS GGS ARE BECOMING TRENDY AGAIN, REMEMBER WHEN BORING LOUD BOY GROUPS KEPT DEBUTING AND RUINING KPOP? WELL NOW IT'S THE TEEN CRUSH GG TREND....SO COMPANIES JUST FOLLOW WHAT'S TRENDY, AND NOW, GIRL GROUPS THAT DON'T SELL WELL ARE STILL SURVIVING, THAT's BECAUSE GIRL GROUPS CAN SURVIVE WITH JUST CHARTS AND DEDICATED FANS.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• Best Answer

Because they still make money nonetheless.

They target different consumers. It's the same reason why phone companies sell budget, mid-range and flagship phones, even if one makes more money.

• Extra revenue.

Same reason why car companies sell different type of cars. SUV's may be the cars that sell the most, but you can make some extra sales with Minivans or Sedans.

• Speaking of GG's, I'm gonna celebrate 71 minutes of S.E.S stages that was uploaded today

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 1) Selling less is still selling. In some cases, this still means selling a lot.

2) Selling music isn't the only way for companies to make money.

• ultraaviolet

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • WELL WE CAN'T JUST HAVE BORING MEN RUNNING AROUND!!!! GIRLS MAKE GOOD MUSIC!!! AND THEY SELL FINE, IN BIG COMPANIES THO, PLUS GGS ARE BECOMING TRENDY AGAIN, REMEMBER WHEN BORING LOUD BOY GROUPS KEPT DEBUTING AND RUINING KPOP? WELL NOW IT'S THE TEEN CRUSH GG TREND....SO COMPANIES JUST FOLLOW WHAT'S TRENDY, AND NOW, GIRL GROUPS THAT DON'T SELL WELL ARE STILL SURVIVING, THAT's BECAUSE GIRL GROUPS CAN SURVIVE WITH JUST CHARTS AND DEDICATED FANS.

I can always count on you :pepe-flirt:

• hybe doesn't

jk they're still planning to

Why only get money from Boy groups when you can get money from Boy and Girls :|:|:|

I always feel like GGs are harder to manage just because netizens can be crueler to them.

But the GP really likes GGs.

• Because GGs have some demand.

However, it is true that GGs don't make as much as BGs except in rare cases.

At the beginning of the Kpop boom, WG and SNSD did better than boy groups. In addition, the GGs mostly aimed for Japan, where the saturation of the AKB and "Zaka" groups created an opportunity.

Also girl groups were often sent to events.

The covid thing basically ended all the event, and access to Japan was restricted. Which is why making GGs has been discouraged.

• They target different demographics. But the demographics that boy groups target are more likely to buy merch, albums and concert tickets.

Certainly the Korean general public prefer girl groups these days, which is why pretty much every boy group struggles to chart in Korea.

The Korean GP are pretty much over boy groups for the most part. But I don't think labels care about that anymore. They care about making money.

The general public doesn't buy merch or all of the things that make labels a lot of money. But if you hit it with a moderately popular girl group you can rake in endorsements CFs.

But understandably fangirls pay the bills for a lot of labels. Hence more boy groups. Labels, particularly small ones, can make a quick dollar with boy groups without even being all that popular. You just need a highly concentrated, highly motivated fanbase...it doesn't matter if it's big.

That's why you see labels making more boy groups and targeting Japan, China and the US. Korea has become somewhat of an afterthought. Labels are creating global groups.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited once, last by Blue2012 ().

• I think GG's have the most successful songs in terms of general population.

BB's sell a lot/ fandom power.

I think I've only seen groups like BTS, or BigBang(pre-scandal) get a lot of general public support.

Hopefull, events will start soon so that I can become even broker :clown:

• Thanks for the insightful answer. :pepelove2:

• Well, the obvious answer have alreaday mean give by others.

But I wondering, do boy groups really sell much better if your look behind the top 3-4 groups?

I've heard GG's do well in streaming, CF's, endorsements etc. And some Girl groups really sell well( BP, Twice) at the top.

But mid-tier boy groups can still sell a lot, which is why I feel like they are really profitable.

because it is hard to have a top GG, who can do all of that other stuff to make $$$.

While mid-tier BB is hard to get to but not as hard at top GG.

• actually, as seen in Izone or Gidle, it has become a fandom only genre as well.

Generally speaking, the boring men make music for the girl groups. And I remember when boring cute girl groups kept debuting and ruining kpop; now it's the boring girl/teen crush groups debuting and ruining kpop. I'd like to see some grown-ass soloists, who were never group members, getting more publicity than the average group of either gender.

• Generally speaking, the boring men make music for the girl groups. And I remember when boring cute girl groups kept debuting and ruining kpop; now it's the boring girl/teen crush groups debuting and ruining kpop. I'd like to see some grown-ass soloists, who were never group members, getting more publicity than the average group of either gender.

how bout ppl like heize :pepewhat:I like her

• She's a singer/rapper/songwriter, not a member of an idol group. She needs better sales. My copy of Happen says hi.

Cool :pepelove2::pepelove1:

• This thread contains 33 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!