The claims by korean companies that SEAsians are not huge album buyers are true?

• Take Secret Number. They have 1 million subscribers on youtube and a huge indonesian fandom(90% of Lockey). The fans are making a lot of noise and buzz on sns, but their album sales:

dfdffd.jpg

So maybe that's why Kpop companies are not heavily investing in Southeast Asia yet?

• Some of these countries are third world countries, no? I myself live in one and people are suffering to put food on their table, let alone kpop albums

This. And I don't kpop albums are imports for them - they are a luxury.

Ok, so they may not be the wealthiest market, but there are a LOT of fans there - dedicated and passionate at that!

• Some of these countries are third world countries, no? I myself live in one and people are suffering to put food on their table, let alone kpop albums

True, i mean if the prices for the albums are the same as here in the US ($20 if you're lucky to find it at Target or Amazon or up to like $40 - $100 if you have to ship it from Korea), that's probably a week's or even a month's salary for many working class households in these countries.

• True, i mean if the prices for the albums are the same as here in the US ($20 if you're lucky to find it at Target or Amazon or up to like $40 - $100 if you have to ship it from Korea), that's probably a week's or even a month's salary for many working class households in these countries.

I'm in the US. I shipped an album from Korea and it cost me like $20 for everything, I had to wait for a month but it was worth it because faster shipping options are ridiculous.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I'm in the US. I shipped an album from Korea and it cost me like $20 for everything, I had to wait for a month but it was worth it because faster shipping options are ridiculous.

Where do you buy those kpop albums?

I pay 20 only on tariff and tax :eyes:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What website did you order from? Ive read that every album not from a big US retailer like Amazon or Target is super expensive to ship.

Where do you buy those kpop albums?

I pay 20 only on tariff and tax :eyes:

Synnara's store on eBay, I could buy Dark & Wild by BTS for almost the same amount of money.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I'm in the US. I shipped an album from Korea and it cost me like $20 for everything, I had to wait for a month but it was worth it because faster shipping options are ridiculous.

I bought two Itzy albums that cost me like a quickie on the supermarket. BRL300 isn't anything in dollars cuz my currency has turned into a joke but to me it's pricey and I've beein waiting a whole month to arrive. At least it's on my state already.

• Depends on the group and the country, SEA are sometimes good album buyers too, I mean, some of those countries have a crazy amount of population and buying albums there is definitely a bigger thing nowadays than before. I remember seeing how most of the top buyers for NCT albums on ktown4u were often from Thailand, Singapur...

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• i think u over-generalised.

Secret Number is popular only in Indonesia because one of their member Dita is Indonesian

Indonesia =/= SEA

There are many other SEA countries which are more invested in albums e.g. Singapore, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

Edit: I live in Malaysia and I can tell you that Malaysian are crazy with certain kpop groups like Blackpink and BTS. I heard Singapore is same too. So maybe the effect is not seen with all groups but most of the famous groups

• I live in one (Malaysia) and yes it's kinda expensive to buy Kpop album here. I forked out around 500+ of my country currency just to buy several version of BP album last year.

• I live in one (Malaysia) and yes it's kinda expensive to buy Kpop album here. I forked out around 500+ of my country currency just to buy several version of BP album last year.

One typical kpop album is usually less than RM100 (USD20++). Where do u buy them?

Blackpink The Album is also less than RM100 on Shopee (after discount/cashback)

• I think Indonesians will only spend money if they are a huge fan of the artist and actually have money to spare. Usually Kpop fans are only teenagers and most likely don't have money to buy albums. And album price is pretty expensive for some people.

• But sea has singapore which is one of the richest country in the world and both Thailand and Malaysia are middle income countries and vietnam and philipeness are developing countries and indonesia has highest GDP among SEA but its population is huge may be that differs the situtation anyway kpop is huge in all these countries so there defintely scope to buy albums so its not empty market someone as say

• One typical kpop album is usually less than RM100 (USD20++). Where do u buy them?

Blackpink The Album is also less than RM100 on Shopee (after discount/cashback)

I joined a group purchase together with some of my peeps and i buy 6 of them, I think it falls around RM 88+ per unit during when i purchased it. Idk feels kinda expensive but i love them, no complaint.

• thank you for not painting SEA with a broad brush. everytime international fans want to slander them, they group the entire region together when every country is completely different. They never do this with East Asian countries.

Also some of the countries aren't even into kpop as much and have other things to spend money on. I've known many who prefer to listen to their own traditional music.

• thank you for not painting SEA with a broad brush. everytime international fans want to slander them, they group the entire region together when every country is completely different. They never do this with East Asian countries.

Also some of the countries aren't even into kpop as much and have other things to spend money on. I've known many who prefer to listen to their own traditional music.

Well I come from SEA too, so I know the situation here. There are certain countries that are more into kpop such as Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia .. these countries have a rather big demographic which can afford Kpop albums

• I joined a group purchase together with some of my peeps and i buy 6 of them, I think it falls around RM 88+ per unit during when i purchased it. Idk feels kinda expensive but i love them, no complaint.

Okay then, Rm80++ is quite standard for a kpop album nowadays 😊

• 88% of SEA Kpop fans are not Secret Number fan, let's start with that

Also, one major thing that people tend to overlooked is that SEA Kpop fans ALWAYS join group orders from China or whatever group orders there is, it is really abnormal for a country fanbase to buy one if I recall correctly

So yeah , they do buy but their purchase goes under the GO's origin country

Anyhow, I'm from Malaysia and I will directly buy albums from my friends in Korea, much cheaper than all these websites

영원히 소녀시대! BLACKPINK IS THE REVOLUTION                      original.gif

• hmmm... hard to tell. For some countries albums are very expensive so I understand when they say they choose other ways to support their faves. <3

кιм נєηηιє ⭐︎мαησвαη ℓαℓιѕα⭐︎ ραяк ¢нαєуσυηg ⭐︎ кιм נιѕσσ

540 Jennie Kim ideas | blackpink jennie, kim, kim jennie Blackpink Jennie Teddy Bear Şapka | krimofashion.com  제니츄 on Twitter | Blackpink fashion, Fashion, Black pink

• Sales data from secret number pretty much useless to measure SEA fans buying power...

It would be interesting if there is data from big3/hybe group.

the best group to look at are well probably BTS and BP since they have the two biggest presences in SEA (looking at their views). The problem is we don't know just how many sales are from SEA. It would be hard but given both groups likely have some figures of non - SEA sales from countries in Europe and US and so on, it could be possible to weed out an estimate but still wouldn't be accurate, since we really don't know the korea-only number and both groups are also big in korea

• Indeed, album sale does not generate much profit to the group unless it's very big like 100k+ copies. The album sale is loved more because it suggests the capability to hold concert than the value of the sale itself.

Not big of a album buyer still, K-pop can make good chunk of money from SEA via fanmeet/concert, endorsement, performance gigs etc. Tokopedia, Shopee and Lazada have hired various K-pop groups.

thank you for not painting SEA with a broad brush. everytime international fans want to slander them, they group the entire region together when every country is completely different. They never do this with East Asian countries.

But it's ok for you to lump an entire nation together?

• the best group to look at are well probably BTS and BP since they have the two biggest presences in SEA (looking at their views). The problem is we don't know just how many sales are from SEA. It would be hard but given both groups likely have some figures of non - SEA sales from countries in Europe and US and so on, it could be possible to weed out an estimate but still wouldn't be accurate, since we really don't know the korea-only number and both groups are also big in korea

I try to give some estimate.

In my country Malaysia, there is portion of Blinks buying from certain stores on Shopee. Taking the two most popular stores - KPOPMERCH and Fatirkshop (only YG select and normal versions). The sales of Blackpink's The Album is 1.6k and 2.9k respectively. This is excluding Group Order directly from Ktown4u / China C-bars.

I think the sales is quite impressive given that Malaysia is such a small country in SEA. In comparison, Butter sold 2.5k combined.

• Dunno about other countries but Thais are definitely album buyers. They're often some of the top purchases on Ktown4U and often get into the fanmeets. That's probably the reason K-Pop companies keep debuting Thai idols left and right.

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!