Groups that are called digital monsters but aren’t

• To be fair, it depends on what you call a digital monster. The term was originally not just for groups that constantly put out smash title tracks. Acts like Sistar, 2ne1, IU, Big Bang were called that because even their b-sides would storm the charts.

Later, people started to use it for acts that consistently did well with title tracks. So among the ones discussed in here, only TWICE was ever really considered digital monsters in the latter sense.

Yes true. In the old days, only those acts that can line up their album songs on top of the charts are being called so

The terms have been used so loosely nowadays to refer to those that only do well with title track

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Who?

¬‿¬¬‿¬¬‿¬

• I don't think anyone calls iKon, Winner, or BTOB digital monsters anymore.

I think groups who heavily depend on music show performances/song quality to do well on charts (like Itzy, RV) can't be called digital monsters. True digimons don't need either of those things for a successful comeback.

I also don't think Taeyeon is a digital monster, if she counts here.

I also think we should stop calling Epik High digital monsters. Their previous album and single with Colde under-performed.

Only true digimons for me now are - IU, BTS, BP, Jang Beomjune. Nobody else has their consistency.

• The term digimon is too watered down to mean anything. When it ranges from someone with 1 or 2 hits to IU with 20+ #1 hits and 20 paks, it doesnt really say much.

I had a post on it on the old forums where i ranked "digimons" into different tiers based on a few set criterias, but its gone now alas...

Basically highest tier S was IU only(basically guaranteed 1m+ ul, pak and #1 monthly with every title release),

Next was A+ tier, where the criteria was something like 1m+ ul on release, > 50% chance of pak and at least 2/3 of the title songs released should have hit #1 on gaon weekly . There were only a few artists that managed this. For active groups then, it was basically only bigbang, epik high and bolb4.

Tier A was bts, twice, blackpink, akmu, taeyeon etc.

then tier b with groups often called digimons because of 1-2 hitsongs, like winner, red velvet, ikon etc.

After the 24h chart implementation, the only artists i would still call digimons (so far) are IU, BTS and Yoo Jaesuk.

• I remember this post.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• WINNER had high 24hrs uls for many songs, I think that’s why people called them digital monster. However, in term of longevity, epic high, Bigbang and WINNER don’t do well. Their songs could be out of the chart in less than 7 months.

• Imo BP-Ice Cream didn't do that well on chart tho. Peaked at #6 on Melon for a few hours only before it started to fall outside top 10. So I think even for BP, they still depend on a song quality to do well on chart.

• Imo BP-Ice Cream didn't do that well on chart tho. Peaked at #6 on Melon for a few hours only before it started to fall outside top 10 (not even a full day inside top 10). So I think even for BP, they still depend on a song quality to do well on chart.

To be fair, if any other group would've released that song, it wouldn't even had made it to the top 20

• Not really, if it's an "actual" digimon, maybe like BTS or IU, I bet it can stay inside top 10 for at least a week

Imo Ice Cream basically shows why Blackpink is a digimon.

Unpromoted, english song and managed to reach #6 when everyone else is underperforming in 24hits.

If you think because of that they arent digimon, then even Twice, Epik High etc are all not digimons. Which is definitely not true in korea

Blackpink has had a hit every year since their debut. Showing their consistency. And if reaching #6 on a supposedly bad song in the hardest melon chart to date is considered bad, then nobody except IU shld be considered digimon

• Imo Ice Cream basically shows why Blackpink is a digimon.

Unpromoted, english song and managed to reach #6 when everyone else is underperforming in 24hits.

If you think because of that they arent digimon, then even Twice, Epik High etc are all not digimons. Which is definitely not true in korea

My main point was even BP need a quality songs to do well on chart, since the person I quoted said "a true digimon shouldn't rely on the quality of the songs to do well on chart" but then he/she mentioned BP, so I just point out that in my opinion BP have their not too well moment on chart with Ice Cream (at least compared to a digimons above their level like IU, BTS, etc who can release a pure garbage song and it'll chart inside top 10 for a few weeks probably). Now, if some ppl think Ice Cream were doing well on chart then thats no problem.

• twice

don't hurt me Once

This makes 0 sense especially when they have 9 #1s on Gaon, something no other girl group other than SISTAR and 2NE1 has. Yes, as of lately their digitals aren't as impressive but that doesn't change the fact that they were one of the most consistent girl groups when it comes to digital performance.

• Who called Red Velvet digimons when we Reveluvs are always told RV are a hit or miss group lol maybe 2017 era RV could be digimons but once power up was over RV digmons status dropped with RBB ZZB UMPx2 then PSYCHO brought life back into RV digitals

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!