How important are sales numbers and achievements to you?

• Now that the achievements threads have been merged into the general kpop forum, I feel like numbers topics overwhelm other subjects. It made me wonder how much sales and achievements matter to stans here. Are they important to you? Do you follow them closely? Like to chat about them? What other kpop topics do you like to talk about or wish you would see discussed more here?

• Until the group I stan achieves good enough results and achievements where they seem to become rich and independent I do think about it little..

like currently I want my biases like tbz and mcnd to gain a good support and big fandom for themselves

But when they reach a point when they are obviously loaded and good to go for life and their future seems secure I gradually stop giving fucks

Eg Exo, Bts, RV etc.

• Official Post

I honestly don't care. If I see a thread about my faves I'll post a congrats, but I'm not checking any charts or following any chart accounts.

• They’re not. I stan a group for their music, I couldn’t care less how many views a song has had or how well it’s doing on all the charts. I’m happy for the group but at the end of the day I stan for quality, not quantity.

• I love stats, I've been interested in them since I was a kid.

That carried over to K-pop since it's been my hobby for over 4 years. It's out of love for the process of collecting data, organizing it into visually pleasing arrays, and presenting it out. I don't even mind if I don't get comments, I know people check my stuff.

I know most people don't understand how I do all the stuff I do, but it's for my own enjoyment first.

People weaponize numbers and make other fans feel bad, which I never liked (one of the major things I don't like about fandoms in general).

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Some people do like to throw numbers around. I think they feel like better numbers make them "winners" or maybe the numbers indicate that their likes are among popular opinion, so they feel validated.

• Yeah, I want my groups to do well enough that they can continue making music and I want them to be happy. Beyond that, it doesn't matter much to me.

• I think they feel like better numbers make them "winners" or maybe the numbers indicate that their likes are among popular opinion, so they feel validated.

That's exactly what it is: vicarious success, since they feel like they're achieving nothing in their own personal life.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• My faves have set a certain goals of what they want to achieve. I would be happy for them.

But it means jack shit to me. I wouldnt go all crazy fighting about it. LOL.

• it's good to know how my bias group is doing during a comeback and have a general idea and knowledge of what my bias group have achieved throughout the years in their career.

sure I'll keep an eye out on the hourly chart when my bias group or a group that I have interest in is currently charting.

but nothing beyond that really.

taking a look at the monthly Gaon chart to see what's up from time to time, half yearly, full year do a glance here and there.

pretty much that.

would I be making a full on discussion about it on a thread? nah, just 'oh this said group is doing great' and that's about it.

nothing to the point where some people keep a whole spreadsheet on their computer and edit on the hourly or weekly lol that's beyond me.

so how important is it? pretty important but I would spend more time listening to music than staring at a spreadsheet or table.

• Couldn't give two shits honestly. I'll make a congrats post if I get tagged bc people seem excited about it and I'm happy for them. But honestly, if you told me my favs were #whatever on the whateverthefuck chart, I wouldn't even be able to gauge how significant that is.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• I have the posters that make spam threads about sales and charts and achievements blocked, including those about artists I like, because I have no interest in threads like that and they bore me. So I'd rather clean my timeline as much as possible to make it easier to find topics of interest for me. Thank god none of the NCTzens in this forum is like that lol.

As for my interest in the topic itself, of course I care when my faves achieve something good but my caring doesn't go past me being happy for them, otherwise I don't keep track of numbers or go around bragging and fighting over them.

Couldn't give two shits honestly. I'll make a congrats post if I get tagged bc people seem excited about it and I'm happy for them. But honestly, if you told me my favs were #whatever on the whateverthefuck chart, I wouldn't even be able to gauge how significant that is.

Remember when we were getting the subforum and brainstorming about the kind of threads we should make? The idea of making an official achievements thread came up but it never happened because literally none of us could be bothered to undertake such a boring task :cryingr:

• I have the posters that make spam threads about sales and charts and achievements blocked, including those about artists I like, because I have no interest in threads like that and they bore me. So I'd rather clean my timeline as much as possible to make it easier to find topics of interest for me. Thank god none of the NCTzens in this forum is like that lol.

As for my interest in the topic itself, of course I care when my faves achieve something good but my caring doesn't go past me being happy for them, otherwise I don't keep track of numbers or go around bragging and fighting over them.

Remember when we were getting the subforum and brainstorming about the kind of threads we should make? The idea of making an official achievements thread came up but it never happened because literally none of us could be bothered to undertake such a boring task :cryingr:

Yeah, even when I'm updating the news page, I always skip the charting and sales because it's boring and meaningless to me. My eyes literally gloss over those posts until I get to something interesting.

I stopped listening to top 40 music when I was a teenager, which was a long ass time ago, so I hold no importance to any of this. To me, they're all well off and have enough support to continue their careers without worrying about giving up their dreams. That's more than I can say about a lot of underground/indie artists I used to listen to that really had to struggle.

If anything, I'd feel happier to see nugu groups have big achievements compared to my favs, because those are actually helping them survive. My favs will be fine regardless of whether or not they get #1, #25, #478 on whatever chart or X number of sales that's apparently good compared to everyone else. I'm happy they're becoming more successful, but they still have enough fans to support their careers regardless.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• Yeah, even when I'm updating the news page, I always skip the charting and sales because it's boring and meaningless to me. My eyes literally gloss over those posts until I get to something interesting.

I stopped listening to top 40 music when I was a teenager, which was a long ass time ago, so I hold no importance to any of this. To me, they're all well off and have enough support to continue their careers without worrying about giving up their dreams. That's more than I can say about a lot of underground/indie artists I used to listen to that really had to struggle.

If anything, I'd feel happier to see nugu groups have big achievements compared to my favs, because those are actually helping them survive. My favs will be fine regardless of whether or not they get #1, #25, #478 on whatever chart or X number of sales that's apparently good compared to everyone else. I'm happy they're becoming more successful, but they still have enough fans to support their careers regardless.

you're as competitive about this kpop business as Jaemin is about games :pepe-hehe:

seriously though, there should be much more people like you in kpop. the toxic competitiveness even makes people hate and antagonise each other simply for stanning rival groups, it is borderline dehumanising but i digress.

that being said, i have to deal with enough numbers and brain numbing figures and charts in daily basis in my job so i am sure as hell not going to also do that in something that i am using for entertainment and escapism purposes.

• If I am being completely honest, I had no idea about sales and all such achievements mattered so much until I became active in this forum, I mean sure thing they're important but I never paid attention to them, I could care less about them even now, I just congratulate the groups (even if they're my ult) because their hardwork paid off but that's all, I don't go crazy over it. So yeah they're not important to me.

i have just read your user name in Lucas' voice :pepe-hehe:

• i just find sales interesting, and check out sales of multiple groups especially the big ones. But I dont use these stats to degrade other groups etc

So yeah sales are important to me to some extent, so that I can gauge the progress of groups. Plus its extrmely satisfying seeing the numbers. You know...like TXT has been doing amazing by selling 800k. Or brave girls is selling 10 times more. Which is great. I get excited when i see numbers like this.

• Until the group I stan achieves good enough results and achievements where they seem to become rich and independent I do think about it little..

Basically this.

It's important until I know they can pay their bills.

Then I just don't care about the rest or I'm at least supportive about their achievements, but it's not important.

• Or brave girls is selling 10 times more. Which is great. I get excited when i see numbers like this.

Oh it was much more than a 10 times increase in physical sales for Brave Girls. I'll quote myself from another thread:

Brave Girls' last album was Rollin' in 2017, and it sold only 1,091 copies.

Thus, we have a growth in sales of ((71,379 ÷ 1,091) − 1) × 100 = 6,443%.

I imagine this could be a record for sales growth between two back-to-back album releases.

• i wish for the artists i am a fan of to achieve good things, sell well, chart well, and all of that, but it doesn't matter to me in a way that it affect my relationship towards the artist in any form

• From an achievements/charts perspective, I’m happy when I see my faves make a big moment because this is their career and it’s nice to see them have that win. For the NCT units, people have talked so much shit about them, it makes me happy to see them become this powerhouse across the different units. For EXO, they’re my heart, so I’m happy for them to have big wins after so many painful losses.

(And some of this info I only know from building lexicons)

I’ve learned when I try to engage in chart discussions that I’m not educated enough around the minutiae to know that a group I don’t follow made a limited edition release or even with my own faves, whether it’s Kihno (sp?) or what specific date of what specific chart, so I don’t really dig into those discussions any more on here.

I do think it’s interesting to see some of the top line summaries of what’s happening in the industry, but I find some of the threads frustrating once you start getting into the methodology (I cut off at this number and that year in one chart, or I don’t weight x as heavily as y, particularly when it comes to a group that is the poster’s bias.) We have some chart posters on here that post generally unbiased charts that I reliably look to see what they’re posting.

In a perfect world, there would be a charts person on AKP staff who just has top line weekly/monthly charts updates.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I used to shame people for being success stan or charts stan but now I would like to apologise to them.

I love analysing the chartings of various songs. It all started with NL I won't lie. I was obsessed at one point, y'all might have noticed. But I got neutral and found charting amusing when I started to find some patterns, miracles, jumps,etc. Also Massive's passionate and accurate threads about digital charting makes me more interested in it.

• I used to shame people for being success stan or charts stan but now I would like to apologise to them.

I love analysing the chartings of various songs. It all started with NL I won't lie. I was obsessed at one point, y'all might have noticed. But I got neutral and found charting amusing when I started to find some patterns, miracles, jumps,etc. Also Massive's passionate and accurate threads about digital charting makes me more interested in it.

MassiveKpopFan singlehandedly paved the way for all you PHEASANTS :pepe-joy:

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• This thread contains 27 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!