Why Are People Saying Blackpink Is Overrated?

• I hate it when someone says that something is overrated. There are only a few overrated things in the world, the "trolls", haters and the word overrated. Blackpink worked hard to debut, they did not just pop out of no where. People say that Blackpink had fans all around the world the second they debuted. Well let me tell some facts, back then Blackpink was not so big. They were not the lead girl group. Twice was. And then there are those idiots that say Blackpink only got famous because of YG. Well YG might have helped them with Korea but internationally? Hell No, you think that the international audience (including me) really care which label Blackpink came from. Heck I still don't know which label Ariana came from and I was a Ari stan before becoming kpop stan (that tells you something doesn't it). Then there is the Blackpink does not have good music. Well, you might not like it, but millions of others do. Just because you don't like something does not mean it is overrated. I have a friend and I make her listen to kpop a lot, including Blackpink. She is not a blink but she does like their songs. So I decided to recommend her some other songs from other kpop groups. I showed her some Twice songs, she hated the cute concept, Everglow Dun Dun, too shouty, G(idle) not her style, Mamamoo Hip, ok but not the right thing again, then I got tired and dropped the bomb (aka Egoistic by Mamamoo amazing song check it out) "Nice song" so I was like Yess she actually liked it so then I asked which one do you like better How You Like That or Egoistic. And guess what she said, ding ding How You Like That #Lost hope. Basically what I was trying to say is, people have different music tastes, some people like this group better some people like this other group better. Which is exactly why more people like Blackpink. They like their style, how they carry the song. If Jisoo, Jennie, Rose and Lisa would not have sung those songs, they would not have the same feel. Those four girls create a certain vibe that is hard to make. Finally, the "Blackpink copied 2ne1 girl crush concept" Well shall we look at the definition of girl crush? An intense and typically non-sexual liking or admiration felt by one woman or girl for another. Technically Twice can considered girl crush. But if we are going to look at it musically its basically label people slap onto a concept that is not cute or sexy. If you listen to 2ne1 songs and Blackpink, you can see there is a difference. I asked the same friend to watch some 2ne1 mvs, she surprisingly did not say anything bad but when I told her people said that Blackpink and 2ne1 had similiar concepts, she was like What!! They sound so different like 2ne1 sounds more hip hopish old songs kind of thing and Blackpink sounds modern pop. Another thing I also want to say is you guys know oreos right, well guess what Oreos were not the first oreos. The first "oreos" were actually these things called Hydrox. It is not always about who did it first, it is about who did it better and in for many people Blackpink executed it better.

So basically, stop calling something overrated because it is popular!!!!! And don't even get started with calling BTS overrated because then you are going to sound stupid.

• Bc antis don't understand how a group who trained a period of 4~6 years and almost never used their hardship as their headline in interviews, music and many more are so famous.

Imagine, BP are known bc of their:

Music

Style

Beauty

Strong and independent aura

GC concept

Influencers

Models and many more positive things

So what does this mean? Well, they never suffered enough like my faves :clown: , but somehow they are ahead of my faves by miles or just near my faves :clown: now let me call them overrated as i don't like them bc I'm jealous. And i don't believe they suffered.

I think majority goes by this logic.

• I'm sorry but if blackpink wasn't from YG they would never have the kind of success they currently have.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• I honestly think it has to do a lot with bitterness probably. A lot of people don’t like to see other people flourish, and it’s pretty sad. Blackpink is one of the most popular groups right now, but some people just hate to see that. If an anti’s fave is not on top as well, all hell breaks loose. Being supportive is basically non existent at this point to some.

• People call anything they don't like and make success overrated

For mey BP isn't overrated, nobody really "over rates" them in therms of anything. I just don't like BP music, never saw the point in most of Teddy releases and this comes from even 2NE1 era. The songs I like the most from them are the ones who sounds the least like Teddy like Whistle, PWF, LS Girls and Ice Cream

• honestly people throw around overrated way too much without knowing that it is.

Blackpink is praised first for their AMAZING aura/charisma/stage presence. There's lots of Blinks who will be honest about their songs just look at Ice Cream.

Nothing is overrated about Blackpink. Their songs are catchy while some don't click (like all other groups). And no one can deny their amazing stage aura.

Anyways #STREAMONTHEGROUND :pepe-angel:

~ ω

• I hate it when someone says that something is overrated. There are only a few overrated things in the world, the "trolls", haters and the word overrated. Blackpink worked hard to debut, they did not just pop out of no where. People say that Blackpink had fans all around the world the second they debuted. Well let me tell some facts, back then Blackpink was not so big. They were not the lead girl group. Twice was. And then there are those idiots that say Blackpink only got famous because of YG. Well YG might have helped them with Korea but internationally? Hell No, you think that the international audience (including me) really care which label Blackpink came from. Heck I still don't know which label Ariana came from and I was a Ari stan before becoming kpop stan (that tells you something doesn't it). Then there is the Blackpink does not have good music. Well, you might not like it, but millions of others do. Just because you don't like something does not mean it is overrated. I have a friend and I make her listen to kpop a lot, including Blackpink. She is not a blink but she does like their songs. So I decided to recommend her some other songs from other kpop groups. I showed her some Twice songs, she hated the cute concept, Everglow Dun Dun, too shouty, G(idle) not her style, Mamamoo Hip, ok but not the right thing again, then I got tired and dropped the bomb (aka Egoistic by Mamamoo amazing song check it out) "Nice song" so I was like Yess she actually liked it so then I asked which one do you like better How You Like That or Egoistic. And guess what she said, ding ding How You Like That #Lost hope. Basically what I was trying to say is, people have different music tastes, some people like this group better some people like this other group better. Which is exactly why more people like Blackpink. They like their style, how they carry the song. If Jisoo, Jennie, Rose and Lisa would not have sung those songs, they would not have the same feel. Those four girls create a certain vibe that is hard to make. Finally, the "Blackpink copied 2ne1 girl crush concept" Well shall we look at the definition of girl crush? An intense and typically non-sexual liking or admiration felt by one woman or girl for another. Technically Twice can considered girl crush. But if we are going to look at it musically its basically label people slap onto a concept that is not cute or sexy. If you listen to 2ne1 songs and Blackpink, you can see there is a difference. I asked the same friend to watch some 2ne1 mvs, she surprisingly did not say anything bad but when I told her people said that Blackpink and 2ne1 had similiar concepts, she was like What!! They sound so different like 2ne1 sounds more hip hopish old songs kind of thing and Blackpink sounds modern pop. Another thing I also want to say is you guys know oreos right, well guess what Oreos were not the first oreos. The first "oreos" were actually these things called Hydrox. It is not always about who did it first, it is about who did it better and in for many people Blackpink executed it better.

So basically, stop calling something overrated because it is popular!!!!! And don't even get started with calling BTS overrated because then you are going to sound stupid.

i was at work last week, and i keep telling a co worker that i like kpop, and my favourite group was Blackpink. And she said ok, right.

But then a few days after, i play The album on my PC and then she said, -wow they are really good!

And i tell you what is crazy, she never ever seen them, she doesn´t know how they look like. So she just liked the music. She has never seen them perform or just an MV.

And that is powerfull

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• I was there for Blackpink's debut, so I've followed them for a long time. I won't say they're overrated. However, for a lot of people their music quality and choreography has declined significantly. I know everyone has different music preferences so this is just from my perspective.

Also, I think there's a relatively simple explanation for why Blackpink has success in the states compared to RV or Twice. It's simple - their members can speak English and their songs have significant amounts of English + a western sound. They have few members. They're the total package for western success.

• I think YG does help them internationally by the fact that they/Teddy produce their songs and they have a really "international" sound just like most of what YG makes.

• Also, I think there's a relatively simple explanation for why Blackpink has success in the states compared to RV or Twice. It's simple - their members can speak English and their songs have significant amounts of English + a western sound. They have few members. They're the total package for western success.

Yes that's the point. They're made for suit international. Now new GG try to adopt the same way (Itzy, Aespa, (G)I-DLE ...).

• It's a matter of preference: if something is overrated then something must be underrated. When i got myself into kpop i also was enjoying BP, but when they released HYLT i didn't like it and started to check out other groups. And i was surprised how many great songs are burried because the hype is elsewhere. That's when the overrated/underrated narration comes in. I wouldn't say that Blackpink is overrated, more like overachieving - but i don't have problem with that. If people like them that's fine, i care only about myself in this matter.

There is this thing about music targeted to children and teens: it rarely shows real numbers. Young people have a need of belonging to a group, so they usually choose the winning side. And they fight for it, because it makes them feel appreciated. You can see that trend in everything: in music, sports, television etc. And many young people will jump the trains when the trends change. It always have been and always will be this way.

Much love. <3

• I was a fan of BP since their debut because of their image and style is just my cup of tea. I dont force others to listen to BP and like them

Guess what, as BP becomes more well known WW, their songs being played more, my other half actually fall in love with their songs. Now he is more dedicated than me.

• I'm gonna get hate for this but I'll say it: First of all I know their music/style etc isn't for everyone and personal taste is obviously involved but it's also clear that a lot of kpop fans have a huge bias against them: anything they'll do will always be bad, their song will always be terrible and their success (often undermined) is only due to YG in their opinion...I've noticed that people unaware about all the fanwar mess can appreciate them/ their music music more that people in kpop community. Imo, even though the group might have their flaws, the girls are definitely talented and they can definitely do their job as idols/artists pretty well so they're not "overrated" ( but it's true certain blinks aren't helping BP with their attitude and maybe this isn't great for their image in the kpop community)

• Probably because of their level of visibility. Their "pieces" work in a way that is above and beyond what is "typical". So people will notice and like it or downplay it.

• When any pop group reaches an unbelievable level of popularity, it's an invitation to the general public to come forward and claim such groups to being undeserving. This isn't a Blackpink issue, per se. I find that it is an unfortunate general stigma surrounding and lack of respect for Pop as a musical genre and the artists within that genre. Perhaps because pop music is associated with teenage girls (or gay men) and teenage girls (or gay men) are senselessly looked down upon because misogyny (or homophobia)?

Edit: And if the criticisms are coming from fans of pop music, then, perhaps, the people lodging them are bitter than their favorite groups are not nearing their success. You have a group you really love and follow, whose music touches you, and you see a group that, to you, doesn't compare qualitatively being wildly successful, and you wonder, "Why isn't my group that popular?" Our frequent assessment of groups and singers as underrated and overrated is probably something we can do away with. It just adds to this toxic competitive dynamic. Just enjoy the music, everybody.

But, nonetheless, no one would achieve that level of popularity without hard work and talent. So, whatever. Proof is in the pudding.

• Of course there will be some people who genuinely don’t like their music, and that’s fine. We can’t all have the same taste.

But there will always be those who say a group/ idol is overrated just because they are popular, and they think it’s cool to be contrary. It happened a lot to Twice in 2016/17 too. BTS and BP are currently the most famous groups, so people feel the need to try and tear them down. Individually idols like Lisa, Jennie and BTS maknae line get those comments for the same reason, it’s sour grapes.

• Actually, a lot of people do love their songs more than other kpop songs, so it is personal taste thing. You clearly did not read what I wrote

You asked why people say that Blackpink is overrated. I explained why I think they are.

Tell me another group that you think their music is good enough for the hype.

Given that there are only two groups receiving that amount of hype, I'd suggest that there aren't any Korean groups whose music is good enough.

How so?

I find most of their music cringeworthy; I have actually cringed when I heard KTL in public.

• You asked why people say that Blackpink is overrated. I explained why I think they are.

Given that there are only two groups receiving that amount of hype, I'd suggest that there aren't any Korean groups whose music is good enough.

I find most of their music cringeworthy; I have actually cringed when I heard KTL in public.

Respect your opinion but there are many that like their songs, so yeah

And when come to cringe, the western fans cringe more on the cutesy songs

• twice had a survival show.also twice is always having comebacks.they have been working hard..also they weren't the nations gg from the beginning.even though they had many bops.there was ioi,redvelvet,GFRND and many others at that time. there was a lot of kpop groups when bp debuted.BTS is the most popular,but you can never say they are overrated.especially because they have been releasing a lot of content and songs.they have had so many activities.while bp doesn't.they have alot of endorsements and brand deals especially because they belong to YG.

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!