How can IVE regain their lost momentum in Korea?

• Will IVE regain the dominance they once had in Korea? 37

The result is only visible to the participants.

They've always lagged behind the other girl groups significantly in the West, so their recent performance there, particularly on Spotify, isn't surprising, even if the downward trend there is somewhat alarming.

But their recent performance in Korea, now after two comebacks, warrants concern.

Prior to their Baddie comeback, IVE was the second biggest wall in Korea, and if not for a once in a generation group debuting in July 2022, they would be that once in a generation group.

But ever since Baddie, they've looked mortal. Every song from that comeback is already on its way out of the top 100. Well all of them already are but Baddie.

And their most recent comeback was the first time in their careers they didn't get a #1 and zero music show wins. And the performance of Accendio was the worst of any of the tracks they've promoted. It was barely top 50 before dropping.

Let's poll this.

• They had the chance to do it this comback. Regain i am level of glory. I fear they lost too much hype with heya.

But i also think that with another gp friendly song like love dive or i am, they could do pretty good again.

They should stick to the concept and sound the group embodies the best. And give up on the western market.

Once they will focus on korea/asia gp again, they would do much much better.

• Ironically, I've been defending IVE better than the Dives their last comeback cycle, when the entire forum wanted to give their spot to aespa, who only just got their first big hit since Next Level years ago. I still value the chart breaking songs IVE dropped the past two years. It takes a monster to at least somewhat challenge another monster at their apex.

But if IVE underperform three comebacks in a row, it's a wrap. GFriend did the same and never regained the original status they had as a hit making top girl group.

Three is my personal cutoff too

I'm just perplexed as to WHY it's happening.

• Yeah, that's way worse than what they did last year. Look at how Baddie is probably going to drop out of the top 100 before Kitsch. That is a HUGE decline from where they were this time last year. And no IVE title track has been at risk of leaving the top 10 as fast as Heya.

According to YT music, IVE remain in my top 5 artists for the second year in a row, so I am worrying about my faves :meme-think-about-it:

• Wonyoung lost her former hype so it detained on the group. Hit girls truly make or break groups.

The lack of an it girl/korean beauty queen (prior their vocal scandal) is partially what kept ssera from reaching A levels alongside ive.

But the main problem was greed and ego. starship should have focused on the korean and asian market and stop releasing this songs and concepts that doesn’t suit ive such as baddie, either way or even heya to appeal to the western market.

People are just confused about their indentity now. Identity is essential.

Also they just need bops, their groups seems to heavily rely on the quality of their music.

• they couldn't even enter top 5 on melon 😱 that's real bad

No, they did. But they left FAST. Faster than they ever have.

Compared to the performance of any of their songs in 2022 and 2023, they're not remotely the same group digitally.

Touring is a great sign for the health of the fandom, but I'm talking about the apparent sharp decline in interest in the group's music from the public.

Historically speaking, once you lose that, it's almost impossible to get it back. Just look at Twice. If it can happen to them, it can happen to anyone.

• I just cant understand how the dropoff after I Am comeback was so huge. It seemed like IVE was dominating and then that triple TT release killed them. None of the songs are great or even near I Am/Kitsch but still good songs that I enjoy.

I thought the recent comeback was really great and expected them to perform better than it has. To me, kpop is not so nuanced, if they release another big hit they will do well, these few tracks just werent it (even if I really enjoyed them).

• He's just trying to cope hard with supernatural flopping everywhere, but specially on japan and korea at the same time

I am sooooo upset that NewJeans have the best performing Japanese debut in the history of the Korean charts while also having the top song on most charts in Japan just a couple days before performing at a Tokyo Dome concert that sold out 110k seats with the presale alone. They are truly suffering and I am so sad to see it.

Do not intentionally derail my thread again. You've been warned. If you want to engage in creative writing about NewJeans, stick to your own shit post.

• I just cant understand how the dropoff after I Am comeback was so huge. It seemed like IVE was dominating and then that triple TT release killed them. None of the songs are great or even near I Am/Kitsch but still good songs that I enjoy.

I thought the recent comeback was really great and expected them to perform better than it has. To me, kpop is not so nuanced, if they release another big hit they will do well, these few tracks just werent it (even if I really enjoyed them).

Exactly why I'm confused.

With Twice, it was completely understandable. The More and More encore destroyed their public image and then their music started to change in ways the public didn't vibe with.

Even going back to GFriend, at least their lost momentum was preceded by what many considered a dud title track in Fingertip

But IVE were at the peak of their powers, and then they suddenly weren't. And we can't blame any of it on internal strife and power struggles within the company.

I really liked their most recent comeback, and the songs are all bops, so one would think their charting would recover from what happened in the Baddie era, but they've regressed even more.

• Love Dive just hit 400m on Spotify and once KakaoM up the payola, all good for IVE.

Best sales, best tour stats for a gg says their fandom is solid to carry them.

Now, depends on how the rest of the 5th gen debuts does because GP attention span is limited.

All girl group having underperformance once in their lifeline, therefor ruining that perfection of novelty.

We can Shakespeare all we want, once the next big thing arrive, it's a new scene...we roll with it.

Dives are not many here, huh??

• i think inherently, starship failed at innovating around one core concept.

it's a delicate matter to not release the same stuff over and over again and bore the public yet still maintain your identity. it takes skills and experience.

(sistar survived well because they had great voices and very public friendly songs.)

But overall, starship just lacks vision and imagination.

• We really are in the end of the generation, the discussions now are who is dropping the least instead of who is releasing the bigger hit

:meme-life-support:

Blackpinkhouse predicted the downfall of 4th gen with aespa ending it all, just not enough superior brain understood the consequence of it.

:iconpepe:

• We really are in the end of the generation, the discussions now are who is dropping the least instead of who is releasing the bigger hit

:meme-life-support:

I don't care if my faves fall off so long as they aren't the first ones to go :meme-think-about-it:

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• Bringing up Love Dive and talking about their fandom literally doesn't address any of the key points outlined in my OP.

I never said they didn't have a strong fandom, and the whole crux of the discussion is that their old songs are LEAGUES beyond the performance of their current ones, and it's difficult to discern a reason why Korea suddenly stopped checking for them like they used to.

I'm not saying every song needs to be Love Dive. That's impossible. But so far Kitsch is easily a much bigger song than anything they've released in the comebacks after, and that was just their pre release

• Their songs having more raps than before is what I think is causing their digital decline in SK. It's a matter of song choice in their next comeback if they can get back to getting paks.

• A group having not one but two It Girls is usually a huge advantage though.

Imagine if Miss A had two Suzys. That's IVE.

And I thought Liz got more lines, chorus and overall attention in their most recent comeback at least.

Yujin and WY's popularity only hurts the group. Their presence is so overwhelming Knetz don't even bother with the other girls.

I don't follow who gets most lines or wtv anymore but Liz failed to create any buzz this era even with the hair color change which sometimes helps idols. For example Winter last year dyed her hair ginger and she had multiple posts about her visuals.

loml

• hmmm let Wonyoung choose the title track. Isn't she's the one pushed hard to get Love Dive as title track back then when Starship CEO unsure about it and wanted to choose another tt. Imagine the loss

added:

all songs that WY liked always have good outcome

LD become SOTY

Kitsch fastest song to became #1

EW got highest debut among 3 tts

She might have the similar tastes as GP so let her choose the next TT

Edited once, last by imean ().

• Yujin and WY's popularity only hurts the group. Their presence is so overwhelming Knetz don't even bother with the other girls.

I don't follow who gets most lines or wtv anymore but Liz failed to create any buzz this era even with the hair color change which sometimes helps idols. For example Winter last year dyed her hair ginger and she had multiple posts about her visuals.

I can see an argument for their individual popularity not helping the group on the charts, but I think it's a very bold take to say it actively hurts their charting.

I honestly doubt the general public ever really knows all the members of a larger idol group. They're not idol fans, like most Koreans.

Outside of the K-Pop bubble, only a few idols get true public recognition.

I'm sure a TON more people in Korea would recognize Irene over Yeri, but Red Velvet is still charting strong a decade later.

• U cry about newjeans threads then make similar ones for Ive smh

As Army, you don't have much credibility. The only thing I've come close to crying about are the disgusting, degenerate things your fandom has said and done in an attempt to destroy NewJeans' careers.

But let's not derail the thread. If you have nothing to contribute to the topic, you can make your oown if you want to continue talking about my apparent hypocrisy.

The first red flag was trying to hop off on the concept mhj made trendy with kitsch and then try to emulate the idiotic 3 single release without hybe money and connections, believe me, newjeans one with supershy, eta and cool with you would have "flopped" just like ive's without hybe payola, just like supernatural and right now are doing now.

• This thread contains 162 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!