When did JYP become the company known for girl groups with lack of vocal talent?

• When people talk about Big 5 companies and what they're known for vocal talent is not what JYP groups aren't known for. Why? SM was always praised for their vocal talent and ability to have the groups sing harmonies, YG was known for the rapping.

• I wouldn't say they're known for it, they just had different priorities with Twice/Itzy. Nmixx is very talented and I think I've heard good things about Nizi

JYP, like YG, prioritized a singing style over technique when it came to coaching their idols in 2nd gen. But their style was particularly damaging and I'd say most of the vocalists I'd seen from that era either stagnated or declined. Very few actually got better as singers as their career went on.

That style faded out by 3rd gen but they still took a lax outlook on vocals. That was also a learning period because they changed gears completely with Nmixx.

SM: vocals

YG: rap

JYP: dancing

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• people here acting like kpop’s biggest selling pt is their vocals are absolutely wrong. its not esp we dont even understand korean language. reason why hybe sells is bec of its music sound and idols overall package. i cant even say kpop idols are the most talented in asia but their edge is how they develop their talents. In addition to singing and dancing, there is a lot of focus on behaving like an idol and trainees are schooled in “facial expressions, public behaviour, attitude, and personality development . It’s something different in the west where artists can be so ill-mannered, rude or just have bad personality. In order to compete with highly talented artists in the west kpop needs to offer something different. That’s exactly why they are getting some share in the music market.

also, what’s forgotten by kpoppies is that music is only one aspect of the K-pop “product.” Music sales are typically not the biggest revenue drivers of entertainment companies. Instead, concerts, paid appearances, endorsements, merchandising and licensing deals make up the majority of revenue .

IMG_7016.jpeg

• Ironically, JYP now has probably the best ever gg in Kpop history past or present that can sing and hard choreo dance stably in NMixx

Hybe is the new kid on the block. The OP was talking about the big 3 historically.

for me the word “ BEST GG or BEST GRP” is not limited to talent nor visual. it shld be based on impact & relevance. currently , bp is still the best gg ever with super ips, emv equivalent, massive following individually and music streams globally for their individual spotify accts . same way that no one is touching bts yet with their impact globally among kpop grps.

• It's actually became a thing mostly in 3rd gen actually

Because JYP was always know to not have the best vocalist but the critics about jyp vocals really become a thing in 3rd gen

In 2nd gen jyp had bad vocalist like sohee and Lim but the thing is that he knew their strenght and weakness and knew how to use them

Sohee was always getting the killing part in their songs and vocals part not challenging so she didn't stand out to much in a bad way + she was weak but pretty stable on stage

And in Miss A case none of them was strong vocalist but they were very very stable during their live performance so they never came out as bad vocalist

The bad vocalist & JYP really become bad with twice debut with vocalist like momo, sana and tzuyu who were both weak and unstable

Even members of the vocal line like mina had very obvious weakness as stability in the volume of her voice during performance etc....

And it cemented with itzy debut and weak vocalist like ryujin

If you look attentively now that none of their groups got into a bad encore or bad performances controversy this image kinda faded away

This label start to get stick to HYBE after the whole lesserafim and illit encore stages mess

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• for me the word “ BEST GG or BEST GRP” is not limited to talent nor visual. it shld be based on impact & relevance. currently , bp is still the best gg ever with super ips, emv equivalent, massive following individually and music streams globally for their individual spotify accts . same way that no one is touching bts yet with their impact globally among kpop grps.

yes you're talking about other aspects, I'm talking about singing live and dancing with tough choreo simultaneously along with outstanding vocalists and dancers which NMixx is the best girl group in history since I started listening to Kpop from late 1st gen. Their music and following has been weak compared to other gg's impact, but I'm not talking about that. I wasn't talking about boy groups, so not sure why you mentioned BTS.

• The most surprising thing is that K-pop is about music and there are such unique people who say that vocals are not important. And so everything is correct, JYP used to be under this crown, but then he rethought it and began to devote a lot of time to vocals, even ITZY is actually a dance group, they cope well with vocals after a while, and Twice, as a result, has completely upgraded their skills. So I think JYP just decided to make music and not be trendy. Indeed, most of Hybe's bands are simply mediocre in vocals, it is impossible to listen to them live, so this plays a big role only in concert terms. I wouldn't want to pay $50-$100 for a ticket in the back corner to listen to a pre-recording rather than a live performance.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!