I cracked the code for how Hybe cracked the code for the girl group success formula

• Anyone try looking for the rapper role in their groups or songs structured around a mandatory rap? :pepe-magnify:

It doesn't exist. They've mostly abandoned it. A minor adjustment that has a major impact on their song quality.

They have three groups now (that debuted under their label) and not a single member is being sold as a rapper.

Think about it :pepe-use-head:

• They tried selling kazuha as a rapper at first tbf lol but it seems they’re dropping that plan too. Can’t say i miss her “rapping” in fearless & antifragile :skull:

She's noticeably improved as a vocalist so this development pleases me :holding-back-tears:

Their biggest hit has zero raps and I'm okay with that

• its just that they aren't trained in rap

Well...yes and?

That's by design.

Min Heejin has been very vocal about how she disliked the traditional song structure of K-Pop songs, and unsurprisingly, the other sub labels have followed suit.

• noone cares about vocals and certainly not hybe so they might aswell have people who pretend to rap instead of people who pretend to be able to sing.

What an insightful and thoughtful observation. We're all better people for having read it.

• I usually hate girl group raps and found them out of place except for a few groups so, this is a win for me. Many song got ruined for me because of some cringy, out of place and simply bad rap parts.

• I don’t get why they should rap. They’re jype most skilled group. Let them sing they can’t even rap anyway.

JYP is incompetent that’s why. They stick to the kpop formula too much. They think having rap in their songs makes them appear like they have the swag. No raps should be allowed in NMIXX’s songs. Let all of them SING.

• ecbc1268119c4ea5f2a2c838546bb122.gif

Trust me, I had Byul in every corner of my brain when I made this thread.

I love a lot of her raps, but I also have some songs where I wish she had been allowed to sing.

And I still haven't forgiven RBW for destroying her confidence as a vocalist by saying her voice wasn't unique enough and forcing her to rap.

As you probably know, Byul used to speak about her conflicted emotions when she stood and listened to the vocal trio sing while she just waited for her rap part.

Now look at her. Her two title tracks off her recent album are actually ALL singing. We were robbed of Vocalist Byul for years :pepe-laser-eyes: It literally took until 2018 for RBW to realize her talent

• Yeah they don't have rappers

Just talkers

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Nah hard disagree, rap if done tastefully makes K-Pop songs so much more enjoyable. BP, IDLE, KDA and XG are good examples.

Hybe and JYPE GGs just suck at it and for them its better if they avoid it until they get proper training.

• Nah hard disagree, rap if done tastefully makes K-Pop songs so much more enjoyable. BP, IDLE, KDA and XG are good examples.

Hybe and JYPE GGs just suck at it and for them its better if they avoid it until they get proper training.

Other than IDLE and BP, who have talented rappers, especially IDLE, how many girl group songs were improved by having a rap portion

You think Ditto or Hype Boy would be improved with a rap section? :boompepe:

• I'll take cadenced talking over try hard rapping any day of the week

I just like the flow

Everglow rap line has really good flow

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I just like the flow

Everglow rap line has really good flow

Oh let me be clear that I don't HATE raps as a whole. I just like how Hybe embraces the fact their trainees aren't rappers and their songs don't need to have rap portions no matter what.

That is a HUGE departure from traditional girl group music.

It was required for literally every second gen group and pretty much every third gen group

Even third gen groups like Lovelyz and OMG had rappers.

• well we need to remember that Le Sserafim lost Garam, and ILLIT lost Youngseo,

and Youngseo was most versatile from whole ILLIT

• also one more thing YamaChwan as much as I love Le Sserafims music

the parts when they actually try some slow-rap, or like Kkura was trying to be cool unnie, and HYBE added there autotune and all that

are actually my least favorite parts of songs

I would just prefer 8-10 seconds of proper rap, or something totally different

• also one more thing YamaChwan as much as I love Le Sserafims music

the parts when they actually try some slow-rap, or like Kkura was trying to be cool unnie, and HYBE added there autotune and all that

are actually my least favorite parts of songs

I would just prefer 8-10 seconds of proper rap, or something totally different

But...We can break it, baby

Rock it, twist it, lock it, baby

All I know is you can't chain me

'Cause I'm gonna break out

Gonna, gonna break out, out

:holding-back-tears:

• haha I'm talking about previous more girl crush songs than recent releases

those recent ones for example Perfect Night, Easy or Smarter actually suit the vibe of that 'melodic talking' rap

• haha I'm talking about previous more girl crush songs than recent releases

those recent ones for example Perfect Night, Easy or Smarter actually suit the vibe of that 'melodic talking' rap

Yes, I think LSF have mastered "melodic talking" (I like that) in their more recent releases as well.

It's a nice middle ground. NewJeans also do melodic talking in Super Shy, and it's one of the highlights of the song for sure.

• Other than IDLE and BP, who have talented rappers, especially IDLE, how many girl group songs were improved by having a rap portion

Well your argument (if i am understanding correctly) is that removing the rap from songs is the code for massive popularity, my point is rap is not the problem here. The way its used is, for example how LSF and sometimes JYPE groups do it just sounds forced.

You can have successful songs with or without good raps thrown in (AIYL/D4/Popstar vs Hybe boy/Ditto/Magnetic). If the overall song is good it will do well anyways - you just need songwriters and members that can pull it off well.

• Other than IDLE and BP, who have talented rappers, especially IDLE, how many girl group songs were improved by having a rap portion

Mimi rap on 'Nonstop' was nice, but I do agree, not all songs need a rap part, just make the rap line dance more I guess.

• Well your argument (if i am understanding correctly) is that removing the rap from songs is the code for massive popularity, my point is rap is not the problem here. The way its used is, for example how LSF and sometimes JYPE groups do it just sounds forced.

Oh come on, I know YamaChwan is a bit stupid but here he literally said the same thing. He didn't say it out loud, but it is obvious he was talking about the "forced rap" specifically.

• when did LSF stop being a hybe group? cause they're always doing rap things

Saying this with your whole chest while Easy is right on the chart is wild.

Also StayC raps miles less than most of the big 5 and doesn't have even half their success.

• Well your argument (if i am understanding correctly) is that removing the rap from songs is the code for massive popularity, my point is rap is not the problem here. The way its used is, for example how LSF and sometimes JYPE groups do it just sounds forced.

You can have successful songs with or without good raps thrown in (AIYL/D4/Popstar vs Hybe boy/Ditto/Magnetic). If the overall song is good it will do well anyways - you just need songwriters and members that can pull it off well.

No, my argument isn't necessarily that rap can't be present for popular songs.

I just think there could be some correlation between Hybe girl groups ditching rap altogether, mostly, along with the designated rapper position, and the extreme popularity of their songs.

I don't know the creative process for LSF and ILLIT, but Min Heejin has been very open in discussing hers, and before we even knew NewJeans, she was talking about diverging from traditional K-Pop song structure and changing a formula characterized by rap sections, high notes and "noisy" production.

It's a deliberate creative choice, and I don't doubt it contributed heavily to the refreshing sound of their groups.

Yeah, I said that with my entire chest. There is no rapper in LSF, and they do "melodic talking" more than rapping, and that includes Easy.

Their biggest hit so far, Perfect Night, has exactly zero rap verses. Antifragile doesn't really either. I don't consider that rap.

• Horrible take, sir. Raps are literally the BEST part of most Kpop songs.

Ive's raps in Afterlike and Off the Record are glorious and the former went viral. Blackpink raps are legendary of course. Twice's raps in I'm Gonna Be a Star and What is Love and More and More and I Cant Stop Me are world class. I can go and on. So many awesome nugu songs with great raps, even some amazing BG raps from SKZ, BTS, etc.

• Horrible take, sir. Raps are literally the BEST part of most Kpop songs.

Ive's raps in Afterlike and Off the Record are glorious and the former went viral. Blackpink raps are legendary of course. Twice's raps in I'm Gonna Be a Star and What is Love are world class. I can go and on. So many awesome nugu songs with great raps, even some amazing BG raps from SKZ, BTS, etc.

Bts spring day opening rap is the best. Easily my second best song below love dive of course

• This thread contains 37 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!