Do idols debut in groups with the intention of growing big enough to go solo?

• Is it unfair to think that idols use group debuts and promotions to make solo careers?

Is it deliberate?

I mean, most idols go solo after the expiry of their first contract. Most idols eventually go solo in different fields. Very few end their careers after active group promotions. I don't even know one.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• sonemariam

Changed the title of the thread from “Do idols debut in groups to work towards their solo careers?” to “Do idols debut in groups with the intention of growing big enough to go solo?”.
  • My faves waited a decade to go solo and have tried to complete their military service in the shortest possible time ever known for a Kpop group with such a huge age gap, all so that they can be back as a group...so nope not applicable to Bangtan Sonyeondan.

• Solo isn't for everyone and even the idols know it. Like if someone is there for the visuals even they'll know they don't have a chance to go solo no matter how many stans beg them. I think they would prefer to go into acting tbh which is low effort, high return work along with GP recognition.

• I think few group members have that in thought at the start, but they probably start thinking on after the group debut thinking on in, if they group is doing well that is. Some sure, some probably have that in mind from the start, but I don't think they are that many, they probably are just happy being selected to join a group. But the next step is of cource to start thinking on their own future.

• Yes. Some idols have been very candid about using kpop as a stepping stone for better opportunities in the future like acting, having their own solo gig, being an entertainer etc.

Idol music is not very much respected by the gp and I bet a lot of idols want to transition from that to something else more established. Unless you are from a big well known idol group that garners respect from everyone, staying as an idol singer for life seems bleak

• Only if they are not talented enough to go solo right away.

• Some do as Groups can be seen as a stepping stone to a Solo Career in either Music or the Entertainment Industry, of course, it depends on the financial success of the group.

If a GG is at the money earning of TWICE then there is no need for Solo Careers in their first 7 years, after that, members get old so doing the choreo for some of their earlier songs doesn't suit them, that means they will get Solo work. Of course a financial giant killer BP has had Solo careers but the group doesn't have many comebacks so there was plenty of time to have them.

On the other hand, even a financially successful BG will move toward Solo Careers due to the nature of Military Enlistment which will break apart a group.

• no, they debut with the intention of transitioning into acting or variety

I recall reading an Article where it was easier to get into Television through being an Idol than getting a Diploma or similar for Acting, then applying

• My faves waited a decade to go solo and have tried to complete their military service in the shortest possible time ever known for a Kpop group with such a huge age gap, all so that they can be back as a group...so nope not applicable to Bangtan Sonyeondan.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember BTS doing solo activities around 2016-2017 but stopped when the group started to get bigger. 2025 and onwards will be interesting because they will be doing group and solo activities.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember BTS doing solo activities around 2016-2017 but stopped when the group started to get bigger. 2025 and onwards will be interesting because they will be doing group and solo activities.

Sorry but I am not aware of any solo endorsements or official solo debuts in that period so...Have BTS ever mentioned starting their solo activities in that period and halting it due to group success?

• I follow a lot of solo artists, a decent amount of them are from disbanded groups / no longer active groups or companies so I feel like I can't help but see both sides of a lot of these comments. Of the idols I did follow previously surprisingly completely left the entertainment and internet industries completely, one's youtube hasn't been updated in over a year, but he has commented time to time that he's doing okay and focusing on other things.

One of the bigger idols I follow are B.I and Kang Daniel, both have their own companies and enough promotion to fans and the General Public and are most of the time well respected. But it's also hard to run your own company a lot of the time, even more so as it gains artists.

However sometimes if an artist gets to debut in a group they get more promotions, and chances to meet fans either in Korea, Japan or overseas and establish a fanbase for themselves first. And if they want to, + have the talents and stuff to go solo they probably would.

There was a former idol's video interview I did watch and I'll link it if I can remember, but there's always ups and downs to both, and I think I remember them agreeing even if the company is small its hard to have a good reputation and appeal to the GP.

• Like others have mentioned, when they intend to get into acting.

In many cases the company will put the idol in the group for exposure.

• there's nothing wrong with that though

especially for female idols - I've said it before that whether one likes it or not GG have an expiry date

and thus one needs to branch out and do one's own thing if one still wants a career in kpop or the greater entertainment industry

in terms of idols ending their careers are active group promotions - well that cause we only hear about the top groups and the ones that went into acting or soloist or whatever whilst there are thousands of others (from unsuccessful/nugu groups) who go back to being a "commoner"

• I personally love when idols branch into solo careers together with their group career. It adds a lot to the group, but I do think that some idols can't wait for 7 years to be up (or even before) to just have solo career.

I think there was this one girl in some survival show (hybe I think) who kinda said this publicly and she never made it to the group :skull:

• no, they debut with the intention of transitioning into acting or variety

Most do that after the end of their active group promotions.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I personally love when idols branch into solo careers together with their group career. It adds a lot to the group, but I do think that some idols can't wait for 7 years to be up (or even before) to just have solo career.

I think there was this one girl in some survival show (hybe I think) who kinda said this publicly and she never made it to the group :skull:

Wow! I guess, if it's what you aim at, you can't make it public. You just have to quietly work towards achieving it.

• This makes me think of Yoona. Her solo career started before her Snsd career and she just kept building it to where she is today. Not even SNSD got in her way. But you can also tell that she loves SNSD so much.

• As others have mentioned, when they intend to get into acting.

In many cases, the company will put the idol in the group for exposure.

Like Yoona and Krystal?

This makes me wonder if their contracts are different from those aiming at doing music forever even at debut!?!

• youtube is their best bet after idol life. you don't have to be super big to make a decent living over there

It's true, most senior and or former idols turn into YouTubers.

• This makes me think of Yoona. Her solo career started before her Snsd career and she just kept building it to where she is today. Not even SNSD got in her way. But you can also tell that she loves SNSD so much.

I was just comparing the situation between some members of SNSD and Twice in my other thread...

and even for groups with members that did all renew I'm sure that they continued to undertake a lot solo activities in addition to group ones

• I was just comparing the situation between some members of SNSD and Twice in my other thread...

and even for groups with members that did all renew I'm sure that they continued to undertake a lot solo activities in addition to group ones

One thing I know is that solo careers give idols longevity. When the group is no longer that active and relevant coz their fans have grown and more responsibilities that limit their stan time, successful solo careers is what keeps them afloat and bankable for a long run.

• One thing I know is that solo careers give idols longevity. When the group is no longer that active and relevant coz their fans have grown and more responsibilities that limit their stan time, successful solo careers is what keeps them afloat and bankable for a long run.

yeap and unless they've earned a shit ton of money like Sunny (during her time as SNSD) and can basically retire they still need money and a career etc etc

• Sorry but I am not aware of any solo endorsements or official solo debuts in that period so...Have BTS ever mentioned starting their solo activities in that period and halting it due to group success?

There was no official solo debut when it comes to music but in 2016-2017 Tae made his acting debut that time and RM was one of popular member that time because he was appearing on shows and doing solo activities. Jimin also went to several variety shows as well but starting 2018, BTS focused on group activities.

• True. Many idols don't make much in their groups so they have to promote solo to make some money.

Kpop labels are really the best at ripping off idols of their money.

yeap and unless they've earned a shit ton of money like Sunny (during her time as SNSD) and can basically retire they still need money and a career etc etc

• There was no official solo debut when it comes to music but in 2016-2017 Tae made his acting debut that time and RM was one of popular member that time because he was appearing on shows and doing solo activities. Jimin also went to several variety shows as well but starting 2018, BTS focused on group activities.

Isn't that the time when both Jimin and V released singles? I remember loving Serendility, it's the only song of theirs I still listen to.

• True. Many idols don't make much in their groups so they have to promote solo to make some money.

Kpop labels are really the best at ripping off idols of their money.

which is why I've always said I'm an advocate of transparency

I don't care if you as a kpop company make the most unfair contract but as long as they disclose it to the potential idols and provide monthly statements etc etc that way the idol knows exactly what they are getting into if they choose to sign teh contract

• which is why I've always said I'm an advocate of transparency

I don't care if you as a kpop company make the most unfair contract but as long as they disclose it to the potential idols and provide monthly statements etc etc that way the idol knows exactly what they are getting into if they choose to sign teh contract

I still can't believe that idols sign such shitty contracts. It must be because the contracts have hidden terms that idols don't see until they are signed. :(

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!