I don't understand why SM and JYP still don't allow their 4th gen gg to do solo activities

• The influence of these solo activities is actually very big for these idols' careers especially for gg. I think we've all noticed how Blackpink is frequently on hiatus as a group but they're very active individually and all of them are the ambassador for luxury brands. This allows them to always present in public's eyes and as the result, it creates brand trust between Blinks and Gp towards Bp because of this very strong branding they have. Therefore, their fans are so loyal and Gp who always see them through cfs and so on are still very interested in them. I think Yg is very smart when they let Bp have their individual activities quite early in their career especially compared to other 3rd gen groups. You can see how much influence they have individually and as a group now. Something that is very difficult to achieve.

I think Hybe is aware of this and let their gg to do individual activities this early to strengthen their gg position in this bloodbath competition. Amost all Lsf and Nj members have their own individual deals. Starship as we all can see definitely slowly going to this direction too with Ive. What I don't understand is,why Sm and Jyp don't seem interested in using this marketing method with Itzy, Aespa and Nmixx?

• For JYP it's a company thing. Their ggs are not allowed to do solo work especially when rookies.

For SM, Aespa need to first solidfy their status before going solo.

And, Karina has had 1 or more solo gigs, Winter and Ningning have had an Ost together and their SM Town collaborations. They'll soon go solo in different ways just like Red Velvet, Fx and Snsd members.

SM promote their idols solo the best among all labels.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The influence of these solo activities is actually very big for these idols' careers especially for gg. I think we've all noticed how Blackpink is frequently on hiatus as a group but they're very active individually and all of them are the ambassador for luxury brands. This allows them to always present in public's eyes and as the result, it creates brand trust between Blinks and Gp towards Bp because of this very strong branding they have. Therefore, their fans are so loyal and Gp who always see them through cfs and so on are still very interested in them. I think Yg is very smart when they let Bp have their individual activities quite early in their career especially compared to other 3rd gen groups. You can see how much influence they have individually and as a group now. Something that is very difficult to achieve.

I think Hybe is aware of this and let their gg to do individual activities this early to strengthen their gg position in this bloodbath competition. Amost all Lsf and Nj members have their own individual deals. Starship as we all can see definitely slowly going to this direction too with Ive. What I don't understand is,why Sm and Jyp don't seem interested in using this marketing method with Itzy, Aespa and Nmixx?

For Twice, I believe because JYPE/JYP was afraid of a SUZY situation so they/he didn't push anyone individually. I don't know if members ever talked about this before the re-signed.

For ITZY, I read that Yeji said she wants the ITZY to move like a group and not individual activities. How she said she likes group endorsements more. I guess looks like members like to work as a group more?!

I am not sure if JYPE is holding them with their solo activities, too.

• I mean didnt a twice member have a solo so dunno about that? I do agree that SM solos are done the best tbh.

• For Twice, I believe because JYPE/JYP was afraid of a SUZY situation so they/he didn't push anyone individually. I don't know if members ever talked about this before the re-signed.

For ITZY, I read that Yeji said she wants the ITZY to move like a group and not individual activities. How she said she likes group endorsements more. I guess looks like members like to work as a group more?!

I am not sure if JYPE is holding them with their solo activities, too.

We need to stop because this is exactly what Jihyo said about twice. Jyp just gaslight them into pushing the group over solo propaganda so their group would have no choice but to resign since they would basically washed once they leave JYPE.

The Suzy argument is outdated because at one time Tzuyu was pushing until the scandal happened.

• it's like their companies don't want to give them a source of income on their own. in fact yg's strategy is really good cause they just wanted to hit every industry from music to fashion and they succeeded.

sm usually pushed members by giving them mc jobs, solo photoshoots and stuff but what now? they have members like karina and winter but compared to groups like ive, newjeans, lsrfm and more, they don't really have anything? Karina had this travel diary thing but it was for the sake of good relations between the government and SM. no income for her at all, charity job. Winter had this OST with NingNing, but her activities are also held back within the company. only NingNing had a solo vogue shoot and campaign, but the other 3 girls seem to be limited to SM family only. it's about the time when it will backfire on them.

• SM promote their idols solo the best among all labels.

This used to be true up until the third generation. Starting from the third gen, nah sm is not even the best anymore. They're as sucks as the other label.

For SM, Aespa need to first solidfy their status before going solo.

And, Karina has had 1 or more solo gigs, Winter and Ningning have had an Ost together and their SM Town collaborations. They'll soon go solo in different ways just like Red Velvet, Fx and Snsd members.

Except everyone is running right now and Aespa already solidify their status and popularity. For Winter and Ningning, it's not even count as solo activities when it's a duo project. Karina last solo activity if I remember correctly was from more than a year ago. I hope you don't forget that when Snsd and Rv still in Aespa position, the members already bags few solo gigs more than what Aespa have now. Why both of this group didn't need to solidify their status but Aespa need to do so before able to do solo activities?

• This used to be true up until the third generation. Starting from the third gen, nah sm is not even the best anymore. They're as sucks as the other label.

Except everyone is running right now and Aespa already solidify their status and popularity. For Winter and Ningning, it's not even count as solo activities when it's a duo project. Karina last solo activity if I remember correctly was from more than a year ago. I hope you don't forget that when Snsd and Rv still in Aespa position, the members already bags few solo gigs more than what Aespa have now. Why both of this group didn't need to solidify their status but Aespa need to do so before able to do solo activities?

I've seen no other label giving group members activities like SM does. Look at Red Velvet, Shinee, Super Junior, TVXQ and BoA. All are very active with solo careers every year. And the Snsd members, even Sunny who isn't trying to have a career is booked for variety show.

Which label compares?

Aespa is easily going to do the same. They debuted during the pandemic and they have a lot more competition and higher standards of expectations to meet compared to their predecessors, going solo divides the fandom as solo stans pull away to support their favs, so it's best when the group can survive even if a single member's fandom breaks away. Aespa is huge but one wrong move can ruin them right now.

For Snsd, Yoona was a model and I think actress before she debuted as Snsd, her solo career was already determined before she officially debuted and nothing was going to get in her way. It's easier to promote a rookie actress with a solo career but not an idol.

Snsd debuted with a lot more content than Aespa. They went to almost all variety shows in Korea and they had an easily acceptable concept so it was easy to market them. For Aespa it's different, their Ae and Kwangya thing attracts more hate than support. And it is not just about Korea and Asia, it's a global thing, they have to do well globally to succeed or they'll be flops, they can't do it the way Snsd did it.

For Red Velvet, only Irene had solo cfs like a year or two after debut for 3-4 years before other members could do solo stuff too.

Karina did kinda like Yoona and Irene, she was in Taemin's and Kai's video and cf respectively before her debut.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by sonemariam ().

• We need to stop because this is exactly what Jihyo said about twice. Jyp just gaslight them into pushing the group over solo propaganda so their group would have no choice but to resign since they would basically washed once they leave JYPE.

The Suzy argument is outdated because at one time Tzuyu was pushing until the scandal happened.

Tzuyu got murdered for holding a flag. JYP making her give that speech still pisses me off to this day. Poor Tzuyu.

• I mean didnt a twice member have a solo so dunno about that? I do agree that SM solos are done the best tbh.

Nayeon is not a rookie anymore.

Tzuyu had a couple of solo cfs as a rookie then her scandal happened and she stopped having more.

• Jyp strategy is to focus on group over individual availability at all costs as shown with Twice and Itzy. That's normal for them.

SM is a little odd. Every time they do allow their artists solo activities on a regular basis even as rookies. But for some reason Aespa aren't doing the usual like regular TV, acting, solo music jobs etc. Maybe SM is trying out a new strat and see if that works.

• We need to stop because this is exactly what Jihyo said about twice. Jyp just gaslight them into pushing the group over solo propaganda so their group would have no choice but to resign since they would basically washed once they leave JYPE.

fr i'm calling bs on the whole "we like working as a group" thing. i think twice could have and likely wanted to do wayyyy more solo stuff way earlier but were not allowed to. and obviously had to say "no we're focusing on promoting as a team" bc it's not like they could say otherwise?? onces would have gone absolutely feral

i doubt it's not the same situation for itzy

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• I think JYP's strategy is quite clear, they're preventing their female idols to have solo projects so they don't start developing a name/brand outside of their groups, then when the time comes for contract renewal they'll have no choice but to resign as they'll likely do worse as a solo artist in another company. I guess they do want to prevent another Suzy, but not in the way people think they do.

SM is a bit more strange but I blame Chris Lee. Either that or they're trying to build a fandom like a boy group rather than go for the GP, which would make more sense with the way they've been marketed and promoted

• I don't talk about the whole company because obviously their older acts from the 2nd gen having more control and freedom in term of their solo activities.

Which label compares? Well, it's Sm themselves for how well they used to promote their idols' solo careers for their second gen groups. That's why I said, they are as suck as other companies now. They don't really pushed their idols individually anymore.

I talking specifically about groups under sm start from Exo, Rv, Nct and Aespa. They're not doing a very good job in promoting these groups individually. Even their solo albums' promotion were very meh. Rv solo activities might be the best out of these 4 yet it's still not that great compare to how Sm used to push Snsd and F(x) before.

For Aespa, I don't really understand the heck you trying to justify. We all know Sm market are mostly in Korea and Asia and Aespa already have that in their hands. Their concept is far from what western audiences wants and Sm knows it well, so obviously they won't get the same amount of success as the other gg internationally with that concept except for Asia. Aespa are very well received in Asia just like other Sm groups. They literally have the same market just like snsd and they already success there. They had 2 hit songs already. Karina and Winter have very huge popularity, which maybe only behind Wonyoung in this generation gg. It's enough for them to bag few individual cfs in Korea, it doesn't even need to be a global cfs. Karina could be very big like Yoona if only Sm promoting her.

At the end, I still don't understand what is the correlation between them want to solidify their name with no solo activities because having this will help them more known by public and stand out among their competitors. Sm will only waste their potential.

• It's more about popularity than JYP and SM not allowing them to have individual activities.

People shouldn't overstate HYBE using their influence to get Newjeans members individual brand deals.

The reality is the Newjeans members simply aren't at that level yet. Hybe is selling those global brands dreams because of their Spotify numbers which Hybe also artifically increased with a lot of playlisting.

Newjeans got 2.8 million subs on Youtube and that's around the entire of their current fandom.

Blackpink who is the other female group with a lot of global brand deals got 84 million subs.

If you think this isn't fishy then I can't help you. In the end getting global brand deals is very hard unless you are Hybe and not down to JYP and SM "not allowing their members".

• Stray Kids and Itzy have done World Tours, well Itzy is still on theirs. Xdinary Heroes are doing their own Concerts while it's just a matter of time for NMIXX.

The focus for the 4 Korean Divisions of JYPE are very different from other Kpop Companies where they don't have a TWICE that proves that JYPE's System is the correct way to go.

Don't get me wrong, the 4 Divisions at JYPE have Solo Activities but they are simply for getting the Group name out rather than having a career with them.

This could change if the Divisions are desperate to "pay the rent" for their groups but it's around their 7th year or Contract Renewal that JYPE moves toward Individual Careers.

• Did you just mention Exo and RV?

Let's see,

Chen

-3 mini albums

-a ton of Osts

-1 drama

-1 musical

-2 variety shows

Suho

-2 mini albums,

-a number of Ots, collaborations and other singles.

-5 movies, 5 dramas and 2 web series

-3 musicals

-4 festivals ambassador

-brand ambassador for Bulgari -skin care products and -wine

Kai

- 2 mini albums + 1 in coming

- 7 dramas

- 8 variety shows

- 1 concert

- 7 cf's

Baekhyun

- 4 mini albums

- 5 cf's

- 3 dramas

- 1 musical

- 3 variety shows

- 1 concert

Xiumin

- 1 mini album

- 4 singles

- 2 collabos

- 3 Osts

- 4 musicals

- 1 documentary

- 3 radio shows

- 7 variety shows

- 2 web series

- 2 dramas

- 1 movie

- 2 fan meetings

- 2 amabassadorships

DO

- 1 mini album

- 8 movies

- 9 dramas

- 1 musical

- 2 variety shows

- Osts and collaborations

Sehun

- 7 dramas

- 7 cf's

- 1 movie

- 2 variety shows

Chanyeol

- 4 movies

- 7 dramas

- lots of singles, Osts and collaborations

- 1 musical

- 3 cfs

Lay

- 4 mini albums

- a ton of singles

- 12 movies

- 11 dramas

- 30+ cfs

Give me a non-SM boy group where all members are promoted like that solo.

For RV

Irene

-10 solo cfs a year before her scandal

- 3 movies

- 7 mc gigs

- 3 variety shows

- 2 dramas

Joy

-1 mini-album

- tons of cfs

- variety shows

- dramas

Seulgi

- 1 mini album

- 10 variety shows

- 3 radio show

- 2 movies

- 1 drama

- 9 cfs

- variety shows

- art gigs

- tons of singles, collabos and Osts

Wendy

- 1 mini album

- several cfs

- radio DJ

- tons of singles, collabos and Osts

- 12 variety shows

- 5 radio shows

- 2 movies

- 1 drama

Yeri

- Several collaborations and singles

- Cfs

- 3 movies

- 3 dramas

- 5 Mc gigs

And others.

SM is shitty but they try to promote their idols especially individually like no other label.

Edited 2 times, last by sonemariam ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!