Hybe is making Kpop so boring by literally buying the achievements with money and influence

• Performing at Kohaku was something so special for years. All the Kpop groups that performed there had to earn the right to do that. SNSD, Kara, TVXQ, Bigbang after already gaining legend status in Korea and significant acknowledgement and following in Japan. Then there literally was a 6 year of drought between 2011 and 2017, when Twice got to represent Kpop again, because they wouldn't invite just anybody.

Now New Jeans and Le Sserafim get to perform there just because. Yes, you can make argument for New Jeans smhw cause "biggest current kpop gg" or whatever, even tho they are yet to debut in Japan and achieve something significant there. But Le Sserafim? Even tho it is my favorite rookie group, they did absolutely nothing to deserve this gig.

Hybe is a fucking bulldozer that just gets their way into things and it is fucking lame.

• What? Money and power can buy achievements? That was something new. SME will be suprised to hear the news.

But I can agree it can be a bit annoying that the groups from the bigger companies always get benefits, even if some of my own favorite groups are from "bigger" companies. Groups like NewJeans, ITZY and Aespa would probably be nothing if they was from some smaller companies.

What is Kohaku ?

• If you look at their wikis for results this year, all deserved a place, even surprisingly to me Niziu.

It is an end of year show in Japan with a viewership of about 35 million Japanese. The Korean one has about 2 million Korean viewers. Thats why some people are a bit salty.

btw Dives may or may not concur. imo Ive has decided not to push hard in Japan now. They didn't go to any end of year Japan events, and its really tough to even get on any Japan show normally. Not sure if they were able to get on any shows in June 2023 for their most recent Japanese album or not.

Edited 4 times, last by K-PL ().

• Seems your topic fell flat, OP.

Especially Le Sserafim: freaking Sakura is in it.

Wonder what she has accomplished in Japan to deserve this /s

But I can agree it can be a bit annoying that the groups from the bigger companies always get benefits, even if some of my own favorite groups are from "bigger" companies. Groups like NewJeans, ITZY and Aespa would probably be nothing if they was from some smaller companies.

What is Kohaku ?

So you don't know what this is about?

As others point out, these groups have good reasons to be there.

• International fans making guesses at who is really popular in Korea is amusing enough, but usually backed by some form of receipts. This one hasn't even glanced at Oricon and it shows. LOL, we've just welcomed a new year, yet pressed still remains an ever popular look on this site, along with uninformed and delusional.

• Lmfao some of the same people, especially armys here, who've been complaining about SM groups getting preferential treatment on year end shows are suddenly finding this okay :pepe-joy:

Disappointed but not surprised as hypocrisy is essential part of Kpop fandom.

• Lmfao some of the same people, especially armys here, who've been complaining about SM groups getting preferential treatment on year end shows are suddenly finding this okay :pepe-joy:

Disappointed but not surprised as hypocrisy is essential part of Kpop fandom.

I don't complain about that, so I am sorry that your attempt at 'showing hypocrisy' doesn't work.

As you can see, it's not just ARMY setting you straight about there being good arguments for them being there.

Gives sore loser vibes to now change the conversation as your first point doesn't get traction

Stream this bop:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sakura herself who have been an idol in Japan for so many years before IZ*ONE/LSFM is enough

Yall seriously overestimate Sakura's popularity as a Jpop idol in Japan. She was a freaking AKB member and she couldn't even rank #1 at her peak. You know how many such Sakuras AKB had? Even Sashihara Rino couldn't compete with top celebrities in Japan. With all due respect, Sakura had a decent AKB run but she was never close to being a top celebrity in Japan.

• Funny I didn't mention names yet you found yourself relating to that :pepe-smug:

There have been a lot of Kpop sensations over the years who didn't get to perform at Kuhaku despite making waves around the world, so nah, that's not a good argument.

• Funny I didn't mention names yet you found yourself relating to that :pepe-smug:

There have been a lot of Kpop sensations over the years who didn't get to perform at Kuhaku despite making waves around the world, so nah, that's not a good argument.

You named Army. There were not that many Army replying in this thread.

Passive-aggressive to then act as if it's weird I respond ¬‿¬

Twice has for long been my favorite girl group, but you are making Once look bad.

• I mean if someone should perform then it should be Fimmies not NJ

it's Le Sserafim who has Sakura and Chaewon, former IZ*ONE members, and IZ*ONE was hella popular

you need to mention Sakura's past in 48 groups

and also you need to remember that Kazuha is in Le Sserafim as well

meanwhile NewJeans are all Koreans without any past relations to Japanese market

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I did not really say anything at all of who is in that show, I just said it's common groups from bigger companies gets benefits. And 2023 have been a bit slow year for girlgroup, so if they need to have a korean girlgroup at the show I guess NJ is okay for a change....

• Have my nugu Bangtan Boys ever attended this event? Have Hybe ever sent their makers to this?

I am genuinely curious, someone send me vids of it if they have.

• I don't know why It's so hard to acknowledge NewJeans and LE SSERAFIM were genuinely invited when they were rookies who managed to have a big year in Japan's market, pretty much like IVE was invited last year for the same reason and they aren't even from HYBE.

Kohaku's viewship has been decreasing over the past years and they've been more inclined to want to cater the younger audience who has been abandoning TV. And If K-pop is what is popular with them nowdays, It's the way to go.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• i mean they were the highest kpop gg sales in japan this year

External Content x.com

(not including misamo) also keep in mind the above was in september so the rankings might have changed for some acts. however, there rly isnt any gg other than misamo that released anyhting big big in japan

and

External Content x.com

• Have my nugu Bangtan Boys ever attended this event? Have Hybe ever sent their makers to this?

NHK invited them while they were on their European tour in October 2018 but when later that year there was a controversial Supreme Court ruling in Korea about Japanese war repayments it got cancelled. And there was another factor as well which doesn't need to be mentioned.

They haven't, but there is a reason. They weren't inviting any K-pop boygroups since TVXQ in 2012 and Johnny's groups were dominating all the spots they could've had.

But recently a big scandal involving Johnny's blew up and their groups were banned from Kohaku. As a consequence, gates were open for current popular K-pop boygroups to get a spot instead.

• They haven't, but there is a reason. They weren't inviting any K-pop boygroups since TVXQ in 2012 and Johnny's groups were dominating all the spots they could've had.

But recently a big scandal involving Johnny's blew up and their groups were banned from Kohaku. As a consequence, gates were open for current popular K-pop boygroups to get a spot instead.

Hmmm...do they always disclose those who they invited even if a group declined? Cause I doubt BTS was even gonna go if they got an invite, post 2020...

• NHK invited them while they were on their European tour in October 2018 but when later that year there was a controversial Supreme Court ruling in Korea about Japanese war repayments it got cancelled. And there was another factor as well which doesn't need to be mentioned.

They tried again in 2021 because they knew the boys were about to enlist but again it didn't work out.

• NHK invited them while they were on their European tour in October 2018 but when later that year there was a controversial Supreme Court ruling in Korea about Japanese war repayments it got cancelled. And there was another factor as well which doesn't need to be mentioned.

Thought as much, BTS not getting an invite seems unlikely, so there have been extraneous factors behind them not attending.

• They tried again in 2021 because they knew the boys were about to enlist but again it didn't work out.

Really? That seems difficut to me considering that was still during covid. 2019 would have been an option as well I guess but they went to NY then. With MBC now on good terms with hybe again I imagine it will be a battle between the 3 for who gets BTS in the future lol

And I think NHK gassen getting more kpop acts involved is just very similar to what US award shows are doing. Try everything to save their ratings. One of the rare times I would recommend reading an akp article but it sums it up pretty well:

NHK turns to K-pop artists to revive 'Kōhaku Uta Gassen - Red and White Song Battle' Ratings
    The most important annual show in Japan, the acclaimed NHK year-end program, 'Kōhaku Uta Gassen,' or the 'Red and White Song Battle,'&nb…
    www.allkpop.com

• Thought as much, BTS not getting an invite seems unlikely, so there have been extraneous factors behind them not attending.

They denied "it" being the reason but who knows. I guess it was for the better considering how they were getting dragged that time.

• Hmmm...do they always disclose those who they invited even if a group declined? Cause I doubt BTS was even gonna go if they got an invite, post 2020...

When the artists decline after their name is announced, It's reported they declined to participate and often the reason why (to avoid huge backlash, since It's a honor from japanese citizens' perspective), It has happened some times. But If It's done previously behind the scenes, I haven't seen a case yet.

So there's possibility BTS was invited in some year, couldn't go and we just didn't know, specially since they reached a popularity comparable to japanese acts. (If they did, what I say still explain the lack of other boygroups before lol)

• This thread contains 490 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!