Hybe acquiring SM is a bad idea

• just my opinion because what they would gain.

SM has so many artists, and giving each of them comeback would cost a huge amount of money, if they are delaying the comeback or disbanding any group then they will become public enemy no 1, considering gp is already against their monopolization efforts.

They should just focus on their own groups which are doing really well and stop being greedy.

• Hybe would gain sm with this deal, sm has tons of connections. You see how hybe was after ygplus? Well sm has much bigger companies than ygplus in every field, be it drama, variety or distribution.

• Hybe would gain sm with this deal, sm has tons of connections. You see how hybe was after ygplus? Well sm has much bigger companies than ygplus in every field, be it drama, variety or distribution.

hybe only has 17% shares with YG plus that's the difference Hybe is gonna gain control of SM while YG has the biggest shares it's more a partnership YG plus is pretty much under YGE

• hybe only has 17% shares with YG plus that's the difference Hybe is gonna gain control of SM while YG has the biggest shares it's more a partnership YG plus is pretty much under YGE

And how many shares does yg have? 34? Or 30? It's pretty obvious the original plan was to gain control of ygplus cus their shares' were tanking and dreamus was getting more and more profits from BTS deal. But yg bros were smart to buy more shares after Hybe deal.

• And how many shares does yg have? 34? Or 30? It's pretty obvious the original plan was to gain control of ygplus cus their shares' were tanking and dreamus was getting more and more profits from BTS deal. But yg bros were smart to buy more shares after Hybe deal.

34% but that's a lot besides naver has shares there and YG and naver had a good partnership for years (if I'm not mistaken) well, it's obvious that YG won't let hybe to control as you said it yourself though they bough more shares later. besides the partnership was mutually beneficial to both ( not the same case with sm) since YG artists can get something in return as well. YG artists can get the benefits of joining weverse. Imo it was always meant to be a partnership

since you know about all this kind of stuff can you share your opinion?

Blue2012

• This is how it makes sense to me:

Chris Lee thought he could go around LSM, brought in Kakao and issued them new shares that diminished the total amount of worth and control the shares LSM had. Incensed, LSM filed an injunction against the maneuver and approached Hybe, who he had refused to entertain before. Perhaps he knew the culture at SM was such that this move would make the most waves possible. Hybe, the greedy asses they are, thought they could take advantage of LSM's desperation to gain more of the market for their own ambition. Chris Lee felt cornered and unable to continue taking advantage of SM as his uncle had, so he decided if he was going down, everyone else was too.

TLDR; it's a fucking dumpster fire of a shit show and yes Hybe has no business there. It was a horrible idea to begin with and their greed is going to bite them in the fucking ass.

• Naver and hybe are literally buddies now, naver gave hybe control of vlive in return of weverse shares and that's why we have yg acts on weverse, all because of naver. I still believe the original plan was to make ygplus a part of WV company but still this deal is better than dreamus for hybe cus they own shares of ygplus.

• Chris Lee has said he will resign as CEO in March. He knows that he is done now.

fyi I do not think LSM will be charged. What is did is dodgy and unethical, but this is what is done in many non-public companies. Have your wife or son or daughter setup another company, which charges excessive amounts for services to the company. It is all legal, as Chris Lee, signed the agreements.

• Chris Lee thought he could go around LSM, brought in Kakao and issued them new shares that diminished the total amount of control LSM had.

This is where i think a lot of ppl are getting it wrong.

There were reports that LSM would be done with SM and looking to sell his shares, LONG before Chris Lee entered the chat. The were rumors for months whether kakao or CJ would buy the shares and no one was talking about LSM being pushed out(because it was his choice to sell). This article is from all the way back in June 2021.

https://www.korea boo.com/news/sm-entertainment-selling-shares-lee-soo-man/

There’s this narrative going around to smear Chris Lee to seem like a bad guy for trying to “push-out”.

LSM WANTED to sell his shares, which means diminished control in the company (by default). It’d be delusional to think you could sell your shares and STILL have some control over the company. Now this is where i think the push-out narrative fits. It seems like LSM wanted to sell his shares, but still have partial control of the company, in which Chris Lee said No.

Chris Lee thought he could go around LSM, brought in Kakao and issued them new shares that diminished the total amount of control LSM had. Incensed, LSM filed an injunction against the maneuver and approached Hybe, who he had refused to entertain before. Perhaps he knew the culture at SM was such that this move would make the most waves possible. Hybe, the greedy asses they are, thought they could take advantage of LSM's desperation to gain more of the market to their own ambition. Chris Lee felt cornered and unable to continue taking advantage of SM as his uncle had, so he decided if he was going down, everyone else was too.

TLDR; it's a fucking dumpster fire of a shit show and yes Hybe has no business there. It was a horrible idea to begin with and their greed is going to bite them in the fucking ass.

Tbh the only concern I have about it that it will affect bts because they are under that greedy company.

They literally have the biggest boyband under them, instead of giving it proper promotions they keep on wasting money on games and buying new companies which they don't even know how to manage

• Naver and hybe are literally buddies now, naver gave hybe control of vlive in return of weverse shares and that's why we have yg acts on weverse, all because of naver. I still believe the original plan was to make ygplus a part of WV company but still this deal is better than dreamus for hybe cus they own shares of ygplus.

I would let Blue2012 take this one since he seems to know more business savvy, but I just want to point out that SM's situation is one of a kind. First of all, there were a lot conflict of interest inside sm with investors and executives and there was internal chaos basically even without hybe involvement. Let's be real LSM wanting to sell their shares they way he did it's out of character if anything his behavior was a bit idk but it was a result of the mess of what's going in SME . IMO hybe takeover is more of a situation that hybe took advantage of it's like they were lucky with the timing . I doubt a similar situation would ever happen again.

• I think you misunderstood me. I know LSM wanted to sell his shares, but when SM execs ADDED shares for Kakao to buy, it diminished the worth of LSM's shares. Besides not consulting him, this is also something he took offense to IMO.

• It's a terrible idea indeed but this is what happens when megalomania and greed take control.

Hybe wants to rule over the kpop industry and they won't stop until they succeed or until they fail.

It used to be a company that could take pride in focusing on creativity, good music and wanting to help fans have a great kpop experience.

But all that preaching in those press conferences look hypocritical now that all they care about is buying companies left and right. Profits at whatever cost is their main concern, even to the detriment of their biggest artist image and career.

They spend hundreds of millions recklessly to build an empire, money that was hard earned mainly by their biggest act, and they can't even treat them right and not as cash machines.

They want to buy other companies with plenty of artists when they can't even manage the BTS group and solos comebacks properly.

I won't hope for their downfall for the sake of all the artists but I won't be surprised if it happens at some point.

• I would let Blue2012 take this one since he seems to know more business savvy, but I just want to point out that SM's situation is one of a kind. First of all, there were a lot conflict of interest inside sm with investors and executives and there was internal chaos basically even without hybe involvement. Let's be real LSM wanting to sell their shares they way he did it's out of character if anything his behavior was a bit idk but it was a result of the mess of what's going in SME . IMO hybe takeover is more of a situation that hybe took advantage of it's like they were lucky with the timing . I doubt a similar situation would ever happen again.

My whole point was that hybe would benefit a lot from this deal.

Chris Lee thought he could go around LSM, brought in Kakao and issued them new shares that diminished the total amount of control LSM had. Incensed, LSM filed an injunction against the maneuver and approached Hybe, who he had refused to entertain before. Perhaps he knew the culture at SM was such that this move would make the most waves possible. Hybe, the greedy asses they are, thought they could take advantage of LSM's desperation to gain more of the market to their own ambition. Chris Lee felt cornered and unable to continue taking advantage of SM as his uncle had, so he decided if he was going down, everyone else was too.

Best TLDR of the situation

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• what Chris Lee and his crowd are hinting at very hard but not directly saying is that Hybe wants to use the whole network setup by LSM to mumble jumble their own money to.

We will likely won't know the truth of it, but in that case they could line their own pockets for atleast 2 decades before it catches up to them like LSM.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• what Chris Lee and his crowd are hinting at very hard but not directly saying is that Hybe wants to use the whole network setup by LSM to mumble jumble their own money to.

We will likely won't know the truth of it, but in that case they could line their own pockets for atleast 2 decades before it catches up to them like LSM.

I think cChris Lee should first told this to police instead of crying on yt but he probably have to confess his own part of crimes too because he was in that company for a decade and never cared to speak about it. He most definitely was himself embezzling money too.

• I think cChris Lee should first told this to police instead of crying on yt but he probably have to confess his own part of crimes too because he was in that company for a decade and never cared to speak about it. He most definitely was himself embezzling money too.

Ofc that was true

but none of them will confess of to their crimes

That's not how it works in their world of greedy business men

• just my opinion because what they would gain.

SM has so many artists, and giving each of them comeback would cost a huge amount of money, if they are delaying the comeback or disbanding any group then they will become public enemy no 1, considering gp is already against their monopolization efforts.

They should just focus on their own groups which are doing really well and stop being greedy.

Hybe or Kakao will buy SM, kakao is no small business.

• This is the consequence of going public and of BTS hiatus. Back when BH was still private, the company could do whatever it wanted, profit didnt necessarily have to be its only priority. As long as they could pay their lenders on time and pay whatever dividends their private shareholders were entitled to, BH could do whatever it wanted, even if some endeavors costed them money. They could afford to take risks, put art over profits.

Once they incorporated, that was all over. Now they're pretty much legally bound to do whatever's in the best interests of public shareholders and shareholders only care about one thing - the stock price. Add in the BTS hiatus leaving a potentially gargantuan hole in their earnings reports, and you've got a recipe for greed that will know no limits. In order to keep those earnings up and keep that stock price up, Hybe is gonna need to gobble up as many properties as possible to get their hands on additional revenue streams.

• All i can think in this situation is Bts created a greedy monster that is Hybe. Why tf would let themselves involved in this mess just because of their greediness. What tf happen to Music is healing when all they can realease is merch. They cant even promote Bts properly.

• On this site, I keep seeing this narrative that BTS is being "mistreated" and not getting proper "promotion", but no one really gives a good business answer or a common sense answer, especially when it comes to the west. All I see is a bunch of fanboy / fangirl response treating the group as a bunch of victims that are in dire need of saving.

Can someone give me better investment strategies that make sense and keep a small company alive? Aren't companies supposed to leverage resources produced by money makers to grow?

Anyone with common sense can see what Hybe is attempting to do here, they are trying become one of the global music big four (Universal/ Sony/ Warner). I find it ironic that there are fans hoping / praying for their downfall that the group helped build from the ground up. Because if Hybe succeeds globally it would go down as one of the biggest stories in the music business industry. BTS would be considered legendary in the industry. What "flex" would be better?

Can someone enlighten me?

• HYBE stans are prevalent here so it’s hard to talk common sense when company stans want receipts when they don’t have any themselves. I will try to explain how IMO HYBE makes a lot of stupid decisions that doesn’t even achieve their goal of not relying on BTS.

1. All their “ investments” don’t even have a significant amount of impact on their financial statements. BTS still make up most of their profits with other kpop groups contributing. Where is the impact from their hundreds of million dollar investments like Ithaca, Navar/ YG, Dunamu, etc. and now Quality Control and SM.

2. HYBE ALWAYS overpays for these investments. They really acting like it’s not their money because no way was Ithaca, QC, SM, Navar/YG, Dunamu ever worth what they paid. Dunamu already had a history with scamming and same with SM.

3. HYBE should learn something from BT21 because BT21 probably makes more money and definitely has way more brand deals than BTS. BTS created those characters but I wonder if they make money from them because they should be swimming in money. Passive income should be brand deals and the riskier but way more lucrative product lines that celebrities transition to once their career slows down. Fashion lines, skin care lines, perfume, cosmetics, shoes, etc. etc. BTS would sell a shitload of these type of brand lines. HYBE should also have gone the traditional route of SK entertainment agencies and started agencies for actors/ variety/comedians/ producers who are interested in getting a foothold in the US. Make Scooter work for his money. BTS has relationships with a few talk show hosts and people with connections. HYBE should have bought their building instead of Scooter’s company. HYBE could also invest in 100% producing their own albums and merch instead of spending hundreds of millions on YG+,Dunamu, etc. Also, why is Tiny Tan so much less successful than BT21? The lack of Tiny Tan promotions is ridiculous. At least collab to make a cartoon with them to target kids.

4. I get wanting to reduce dependency on one source of income but you don’t also allow your one source of income to lose momentum, lose the public’s positive view, and most of all make less money. HYBE demanded that SK government give them an answer about BTS’ military exemption and then threw BTS to the wolves. The HYBE executive literally made RM answer questions about it from the media after he was confronted about it. Their answer to Jimin not paying his health insurance premiums was unsatisfactory and then they never addressed Jimin’s private info being made public. Not even a threat of investigation or lawsuit. BTS’ positive image took a beating in SK. Why did HYBE mishandle all this and actually did damage to BTS? The solo support is obviously bare minimum when other agencies support other idol’s solo projects so much better than what BTS has gotten so far. Solo success can contribute a lot to a group’s prestige and success, not to mention make a ton of money. Why is HYBE sacrificing profit to push a false narrative that they are achieving decreased dependence on BTS?

• I find it ironic that there are fans hoping / praying for their downfall that the group helped build from the ground up. Because if Hybe succeeds globally it would go down as one of the biggest stories in the music business industry. BTS would be considered legendary in the industry. What "flex" would be better?

Please don't confuse Hybe's grandiose goals with BTS. I'm sure that's what Hybe wants so they continue getting Army support for all of their products and other groups but BTS are already legendary and IF hybe manages to become a global powerhouse Bang Sihyuk and the execs will get to enjoy the majority of the glory, not BTS themselves. How do I know? Because BTS collectively as a group own less than 1% of hybe shares. If hybe wanted to convince me their glory is BTS' glory then they would've give the 7 of them 10% shares collectively at minimum.

• BTS brought in 60% of the revenue...where will they get it when BTS enlists?

Imagine spending over 2 billion dollars on various acquisitions and investments and >60% of your revenue still directly come from the group you had from the beginning and probably even more are residual effects of BTS (eg weverse).

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!