What's BlackPink's music legacy?

• talking now would be premature. We can talk when it's done. Now we can talk about snsd and bigbang legacy.

We're deep in 4th generation with people trying to force the start of the 5th generation. We can talk about it. BlackPink just turned 7 years old! That's a whole career for most girl groups :sweat:

• We're deep in 4th generation with people trying to force the start of the 5th generation. We can talk about it. BlackPink just turned 7 years old! That's a whole career for most girl groups :sweat:

for most girl groups. not blackpink. as long as people don't stop talking about them, they won't become a legacy act.

• Blackpink attracts a lot of people, but not lots stay. I used to be a blink when I got into K-Pop lol. Unbelievable, right? I went from Blink to Neverland to MY to Forever to Stay to Bunny

They don't release enough music to make people stay

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• Cultural reset starting with Boombaya and reaching the pinnacle of D4. From 2018-2022, it was girl crush that ruled the roost.

Also easily the greatest bop to flop/blop ratio in music history. Probably 24 ish bops to only 6 flops/blops in their total discography. I mean this is the best in music history not even mah fave boomers i've spammed from the 70s and 80s can match this.

They set the stage for the greatest period of pop music since the last decent era of local pop music (Taylor Swift country crossover era and the EDM explosion of 2006-2016).

• Their main legacy was bringing back girl crush concepts after they receded after the early 2010s. Most major GG debuts from 2018-2022 up until Newjeans were absolutely inspired by them.

Also just the general expectations for what a Kpop debut looked like for GGs. Look at videos of any debut stage prior to their 2016 debut on Inkigayo and it is kind of shocking how simple/basic they all were. The debut stage for Twice would've been considered a disaster 2019 and beyond.

• This may be the first time you made a comment that lives up to your namesake all year. Wow :pepe-tinfoil-hat:

lol deserved though. I can listen to their entire discography and only skip like 15-20 percent of the songs.

Even my literal idol Bruce Springsteen has about a 70 percent skip rate (although tbf the man has like 600 - 800 original songs including hundreds i've never heard probably lol).

I think only my man Jim Steinman who wrote most of Meatloaf's hits can come within the ballpark of BP's 15-20 percent skip rate (probably more like 25-30 percent for him).

• Best female rappers in kpop period. Actually give lyrics that require flow, rather than the sing-song rapping a lot of GGs did and still do.

Especially seeing where they started (which was already good) to where they are now.

• If someone asked you what made BlackPink such an impactful group music-wise during their era, what would you tell them?

No shade. I'm genuinely curious how people would describe their legacy.

Mainstream kpop is not about legacy. It's like a bubble gum that you chew and spit off after it lost the taste, because you need mouth to be free for the next bubble gum

"You can troll on your main and we have plenty examples of that" (c) Ves

soojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-gidle.gif

• Mainstream kpop is not about legacy. It's like a bubble gum that you chew and spit off after it lost the taste, because you need mouth to be free for the next bubble gum

You just aren't chewing the right bubblegum.

My queens will all leave an indelible legacy behind when they're done. You don't see the words "amazing vocals", "girl group" and "self made" without thinking Mamamoo, so I disagree with this downgrading of K-Pop.

All generational giants of the industry will leave behind some kind of impact

• You don't see the words "amazing vocals", "girl group" and "self made" without thinking Mamamoo

Bold assumption that people even have Mamamoo enter their thought processes most of the time

I generally forget they exist until I see their name mentioned on here

Otherwise, they live deep in the memory hole

• Girl crush hip hop beat drop? Arent they very distinct musically and very influential?

Cute basically died after BP. No two ways about it.

Actually, i never thought of it that way but you may be on to something.

2018 saw the peak of cutesy with What is Love which released in the spring iirc.

Twice followed up with DTNA and Yes or Yes which were both #1 hits. But at the same time, BP came out with D4 in the summer, which ended up outcharting both iirc and solidifying BP's cultural reset. Then in 2019, Twice's string of #1 hits finally ended when Fancy finished no higher than #3.

Just like how Next Level ended 2nd and 3rd gen, you could argue that Girl Crush ended Cutesy in 2018.

• Bold assumption that people even have Mamamoo enter their thought processes most of the time

They have the most total unique listeners in Melon history, are the third most followed girl group of all time on Melon and just wrapped up a U.S. tour with completely sold out shows in New York, Chicago and LA. Unless you're a K-Pop newbie, you will absolutely think of Mamamoo when you see those phrases.

AKP is just a tiny bubble in the expansive K-Pop landscape.

• D4 ruined their legacy. They were moving so good before that. Whistle, Stay, PWF, AIIYL and then that shit song came out and hit big after which they stuck to the formula of shitty songs.

• They have the most total unique listeners in Melon history, are the third most followed girl group of all time on Melon and just wrapped up a U.S. tour with completely sold out shows in New York, Chicago and LA. Unless you're a K-Pop newbie, you will absolutely think of Mamamoo when you see those phrases.

Wow that's great for them. Wow. Amazing. So super.

Been in kpop since late 2018/early 2019. Other forums and places as well. So deep in the guts of 3rd

Fact of the matter is they are a small blip on the radar for me and probably others.

The most exposure I've really had was trying some of their stuff during my early kpop days and moving on quickly enough, a brief dip into Maria because SuA did a cover of it during a Dreamcatcher Livestream concert and some threads about Hwasa's appearance on a far less pleasant kpop forum.

Otherwise, down that memory hole they go until basically... You... Mention them

• Blackpink attracts a lot of people, but not lots stay. I used to be a blink when I got into K-Pop lol. Unbelievable, right? I went from Blink to Neverland to MY to Forever to Stay to Bunny

They don't release enough music to make people stay

Yet they have the biggest female KPOP fandom and success ever so..

Anyways their legacy will be the 1st to chart on billboard 200 in like 20 years, first female KPOP group, a huge groundbreaking tour for a Asian act. Setting Gaon records for female acts.

Good Music videos and visuals, high fashion, good songs.

Also carrying on the like girl crush sound when it wasnt really popular

• Good for you? I mean, what do you want me to do with anecdotes? Mamamoo is one of the most popular girl groups of their generation. Plenty of people know about them. For people who didn't start listening to K-Pop this year, they are absolutely one of the first groups that will pop into anyone's head if you talk about girl groups and vocals, talent, performance ability.

I did a thread here months ago, playing a word association game, and plenty of people associated Mamamoo with those words.

There's my anecdote. You're acting like Mamamoo is some under the radar act.

Why are you picking a fight with me over Mamamoo anyway? This thread is about BlackPink, and I was just using Mamamoo as a very easy example; they have a legacy in K-Pop whether you remember them or not :pepe-shrug:

Also? 2018? HA!

You're still a newborn K-Pop babe :pepe-smug:

it's hard to believe maybe but bp's discography is small. So small that newjeans might have more original songs than bp by end of next year. Blackpink hasn't even transitioned from their girl crush D4 concepts. It's all going very slow for them whether it's good or bad for them idk.

Their discography size isn't stellar, but they've had long careers. You don't talk about K-Pop today without mentioning BlackPink. It's safe to discuss their legacies at this point--they've already lasted longer as a group than their predecessors, 2NE1 (2009 to 2014).

• Bold assumption that people even have Mamamoo enter their thought processes most of the time

That’s a shame. Mamamoo has a lot of great songs. You are missing out

• They have the most total unique listeners in Melon history, are the third most followed girl group of all time on Melon and just wrapped up a U.S. tour with completely sold out shows in New York, Chicago and LA. Unless you're a K-Pop newbie, you will absolutely think of Mamamoo when you see those phrases.

I think MMM’s legacy in Kpop is pretty minuscule. Even if they have hits I don’t think they have any impact in Kpop. Similar to a lot of 2nd gen GG’s with hits but no legacy. I don’t think anyone is going to be remembering MMM songs in the long run harsh as that maybe.

60619b148b25d76d88138e9fb9a750ba.gif

Note this is also influenced by big3 privilege. Unless you do something extraordinary it’s hard to have lasting impact in kpop outside of big3.

• I think MMM’s legacy in Kpop is pretty minuscule. Even if they have hits I don’t think they have any impact in Kpop. Similar to a lot of 2nd gen GG’s with hits but no legacy. I don’t think anyone is going to be remembering MMM songs in the long run harsh as that maybe.

60619b148b25d76d88138e9fb9a750ba.gif

This isn't remotely true. I'm tired of you people, yes, YOU PEOPLE, downgrading one of the most amazing success stories in K-Pop history. When you think of amazing talent, incredible vocals and stellar stage presence and charisma, it's absolutely Mamamoo that should be at or near the top of everyone's lists. You can not tell the story of the 3rd generation girl groups without Mamamoo.

This is typical ifan behavior! Mamamoo was never as big as Twice/BP/RV internationally, but they were HUGE in Korea, and it's not like their individual members aren't making noise either. Queen Hwasa still has haters shaking on the regular and just had a semi-hit solo. She was one of THE It Girls of her generation too.

My queens have an extremely unique legacy in K-Pop. I will not tolerate this slander :pepe-firing:

You are all about the awaken THE BEAST talking this way about Mamamoo. The fury I bring to NewJeans conversations will seem like a light breeze compared to the hurricane I transform into for MMM conversations :pepe-love-not:

• I beg Kpop fans to get out of talking about “girl crush” and “cutesy” when discussing music genres. It’s such a simplistic way to talk about Kpop and basically boils down a song into a broad ass category with songs so different but somehow similar due to one element?

As to BP legacy musically, as we know generally they have a massive legacy in other regards, I think they are basically the biggest let down musically in Kpop history. At least in terms of group songs, so not including solos which general have been fine.

They did well until D4 and since then their music has been repetitive and uninspired. Created to pander to trendiness and catchiness. This tendency alone isn’t terrible or course many groups do this but even within trying to be trendy it is also uninspired. Not every song released since D4 mind you but about 90%. Musically they are very basic don’t explore much after 2018 even with their bsides which is understandable given their company.

Their fans don’t really care because BP are great performers, when they want to be, and personally each member is amazingly talented. However, I think YG has held them back from expressing themselves musically though I think with their solos this is better presented.

Anyways basically when examining BP legacy as whole, I think music with factor more towards the bottom with things like global reach, brands, modeling, and other factors taking a more important legacy. BP in my opinion are basically very successful internet celebrities that also make music. I wouldn’t say their music is the most amazing thing about them though.

• Why do you think Mamamoo’s success was never able to transfer into other groups from their company like Purple Kiss?

Also it’s funny you went to following a gg from such a small company with no advantages at debut to a gg in NJs who probably had the most advantages pn debut in Kpop history

• I don’t remember a single MMM song and I don’t think anyone I know knows a single MMM song either.

It’s just that way user Yama 😭

Also again having hits in Korea doesn’t mean an act is remembered imo. For example how many upcoming groups and idols are going to say mmm is their inspiration and they want to be like mmm? I dont think they have that impact including in Korea.

Yes I believe hwasa has bigger legacy than mmm. I agree with it. She has made her mark.

• This thread contains 28 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!