Who was the top girl group in 2019?

• I constantly see this Twice 2016-2018, thing around, I am just really curious who do yall think became the top in 2019? RV? Mamamoo? Can't be Blackpink for sure cause Fancy sweeped KTL on charts and in physical sales. So again, who was the top gg of 2019?

• Korean Digitals: ITZY ( Dalla Dalla was by far the biggest gg song in korea in 2019), Hip and Psycho are close by

Sales: Twice

Streams, spotify and international charting: Blackpink

Touring: Blackpink

Conclusion: No top gg, its just different metrics led by different girl groups

• Psycho was released in last week of 2019 if I remember well

HIP was released in the middle of november

TWICE had Fancy and Feel Special

from rookies:

ITZY got Dalla Dalla and ICY in their debut year

Everglow had Bon Bon Chocolat and Adios

(G)I-DLE had Senorita, Uh-Oh, and Lion in their second year of career

overall now that I look back at it... this was so fvkin good year!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Were you guys in Kpop back then?

The constant over praising of dalla dalla like itzy wasn’t even seen as bigger then mamamoo let’s pipe down

I STILL remember being in a fanwar with peeps on yt late 2019 about who was biggest gg and everyone was answering twice lol… so I’d give it to them.

I think bp, but back then twice was more agreed on.

• I say a tie between BP and Twice.

In Boxing, when there is a draw, the champion keeps the belt.

• I'd say Twice was really only the clear top girl group in 2016-2017 since they were so dominant during that time. Twice was still very competitive in 2018-2019 so it could be argued they were still the top girl group in both of those years. 2019 was just a weird year where both BP and Twice got overshadowed by multiple groups in some areas. Then from 2020 on it was BP by a mile since The Album did so well and Twice was continuing their flop era that started from Feel Special onward.

• It was biggest but not "by far"

Dalla Dalla is at around 900m digital points last time I checked while other songs like KTL and Fancy are only around like 400m-500m so yeah it is "by far"

That entire year idol groups were underperforming besides that and BTS, it wasn't until Psycho at the end of the year that things turned around

I'd say overall it's a toss-up, sort of the transition period where BP started gaining crazy popularity and Twice were nearing the end of their huge reign

• Dalla Dalla is at around 900m digital points last time I checked while other songs like KTL and Fancy are only around like 400m-500m so yeah it is "by far"

That entire year idol groups were underperforming besides that and BTS, it wasn't until Psycho at the end of the year that things turned around

I'd say overall it's a toss-up, sort of the transition period where BP started gaining crazy popularity and Twice were nearing the end of their huge reign

Last time I check they had same amount of streams on Melon. Digital index is a weird and has always been, plus you can't track it if the song isn't in top100. I'll never trust that metric over actual streams.

And the last person whose opinion I'd consider when it comes to TwicexBP is a loser like yourself.

• 2019 was burning sun incident so idol perception wasn't good, that's why song at the beginning of the year did well but cmb after that did badly and then when things calm down they start doing ok again (leading to 2020)

• Last time I check they had same amount of streams on Melon. Digital index is a weird and has always been, plus you can't track it if the song isn't in top100. I'll never trust that metric over actual streams.

And the last person whose opinion I'd consider when it comes to TwicexBP is a loser like yourself.

Streams that can easily be manipulated by fandoms...okay <3

Literally tried to be objective and you're still mad whatkfdhgfdhe

• Easy with the wording there mate, blown away my ass

Sorry if you don't like the wording but the result stay the same, Blackpink blown away Twice in 2020

2020 is literally the year where Blackpink dropped How you like that which took korea and the world by storm

meanwhile for twice 2020 was the year where they could barely enter melon top 10

2020 is really the year where Blackpink really cemented themselves as the top GG

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• 2019-2020 is the year Twice changed their focus away from Korea, why do we always have to go through this everytime this discussions happens? Like do you consider Messi being blown away in the last 2 years because he made a conscious decision to basically give up on club football after winning everything and only put effort into winning WC with Argentina?

While BP was "blowing away" Twice in Korea and enjoying their Cbars, the latter were slowly building their fandom in the US and are currently outselling BP in that country despite BP initially being way bigger there. So who blew who really ?

• 2019-2020 is the year Twice changed their focus away from Korea, why do we always have to go through this everytime this discussions happens? Like do you consider Messi being blown away in the last 2 years because he made a conscious decision to basically give up on club football after winning everything and only put effort into winning WC with Argentina?

While BP was "blowing away" Twice in Korea and enjoying their Cbars, the latter were slowly building their fandom in the US and are currently outselling BP in that country despite BP initially being way bigger there. So who blew who really ?

first of all the "changed of focus " is a dumb argument because Blackpink never focused on korea, they barely had promo for years here, with no variety show apparition, no reality show, no invidividual job as MC etc... that doesn't stop them from still doing great

so your argument is dumb

even if you focus on targetting a certain market, if the music is good it'll do well whatever the market you are targetting

on what are you basing your argument of Twice outselling BP in the US currently ?

because :

1. from what i know it's easy to outsell a group when this certain group didn't release any album this year -_-
    2. if we compare to last year, when BP released born pink, "Born pink" became the best selling GG album in the US after just 6 weeks and Twice made her comeback just few weeks before the release of Born pink
    3. now that we puts away the fact that bp is selling better n term of album in thee US, i must remember you that born pink is also the highest grossing tour by an asian female act

Twice is doing well in the US and overall, i'm not denying this

but to acknowledge this you don't need to lie and create a whole new narrative of them outselling BP when it's not the case -_-

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• first of all the "changed of focus " is a dumb argument because Blackpink never focused on korea

Yes, you dumbass, because their music is universal. Meanwhile Twice music only appealed to east asian audiences. Btw this is wild that I now have to tell yall this, wasn't it your argument that Twice original music wouldn't appeal to US but if they change they'll flop in Korea? Yall haters said all this stuff, I am not the one to come up with it, so why won't you take the credit? Cause you were actually right for once. I'll repeat, you were right. Why would you suddenly not want to be right, I am fascinated how a hater's brain work.

on what are you basing your argument of Twice outselling BP in the US currently ?

The Billboard of course?

from what i know it's easy to outsell a group when this certain group didn't release any album this year -_-

What the fuck are you talking about, Born Pink is an album BP put their everything into, had like 50 version, had fucking casettes and Rose begged blinks to buy it and you're saying it is not comparable to an album that was released 5 month after?? You can't be fucking serious with this you notorious clown

now that we puts away the fact that bp is selling better n term of album in thee US, i must remember you that born pink is also the highest grossing tour by an asian female act

No fucking way, a tour with the highest amount of dates is also the highest grossing one, who would've thought.

• Twice was the #1 girl group on 2019 overall, they were the strongest on most categories. But that was the year everybody noticed it was over, while yg send blackpink to the US to get coachella, a radio tour, big spotify playlisting, etc jyp (the company) started to straight up sabotage twice career and jyp (the ugly loser) was focused on how to get himself in every single twice title track from that point, something he did with feel special, more & more, i can't stop me and alcohol free.

Looking in retrospective I can't believe those incompetent watched bts rose to worldwide fame from 2016 and still in 2019 they did nothing in that regard, also how fucking slow they always did things... I commented to onces how damn slow twice conquest of japan was and how it was a big error.

• BP pretty much became the top group with D4 in 2018

'Yes or yes' came out after D4 and Twice still got a #1 song.

Twice has always released more music, so in 2018 Twice had 3 #1 songs in Korea, while BP only had one. So WIL + DTNA + YOY >>>> D4.

BP in 2018-2019 was getting pretty popular in the west, while Twice was already popular in Japan (kpop biggest market).

Is hard for me to agree on 2018 being a BP year.

2019 or 2020 are much better arguments.

in 2019 we can argue that KTL >> fancy + feel special

• Twice was the #1 girl group on 2019 overall, they were the strongest on most categories. But that was the year everybody noticed it was over, while yg send blackpink to the US to get coachella, a radio tour, big spotify playlisting, etc jyp (the company) started to straight up sabotage twice career and jyp (the ugly loser) was focused on how to get himself in every single twice title track from that point, something he did with feel special, more & more, i can't stop me and alcohol free.

Looking in retrospective I can't believe those incompetent watched bts rose to worldwide fame from 2016 and still in 2019 they did nothing in that regard, also how fucking slow they always did things... I commented to onces how damn slow twice conquest of japan was and how it was a big error.

Nah, the truth is JYP never knew what he was doing, Twice just took off thanks to members' charms and BEP tunes. Otherwise history of JYP is history of mismanaging artists into the ground. Wonder Girls, 2PM, Miss A, Got7, Itzy, Nmixx. To be successful under JYP you need to carry like Twice or compose your own shit like SK and Day6. JYP ent doesn't have the know how.

• The rest I agree with but no, you can't argue this.

Is not about your taste (or mine)

Fancy hit #3 on the Gaon chart, it was Twice first miss (for #1) since their debut.

KTL got to #2 on the chart,

Now I do say people can make the argument, not that I necessarily agree with the argument, but I can see good points for either one.

2018 Twice for sure

2019 debatable

2020 BlackPink for sure

• Wait, that's your metric? You do realize yearly and monthly charts exist, right?

And Japanse charts and US charts and English charts, ect. there is a shit lot of data that people can cherry pick to support their argument.

• And Japanse charts and US charts and English charts, ect. there is a shit lot of data that people can cherry pick to support their argument.

Well, Fancy is arguibly Twice's most internationally popular songs, even got certified in US, meanwhile KTL is one of the least liked BP songs, so make that argument if you want.

• Well, Fancy is arguibly Twice's most internationally popular songs, even got certified in US, meanwhile KTL is one of the least liked BP songs, so make that argument if you want.

And yet D4 hit number 1 on the US world chart while fancy hit #4.

So by your own words, Twice most international popular song only got a #4, while one of the least liked BP songs got #1.

• And yet D4 hit number 1 on the US world chart while fancy hit #4.

So by your own words, Twice most international popular song only got a #4, while one of the least liked BP songs got #1.

US World chart is basically Youtube views, you know that, right? I am not arguing it is a useless metric but it's already covered in the Youtube metric. It is like comparing both Gaon and Melon more or less.

Again, it is the combo of all things you need to look at, and I fail to see what possible combination would give 2019 to BP. Domestically it all goes to Twice and internationally, it varries.

• US World chart is basically Youtube views, you know that, right? I am not arguing it is a useless metric but it's already covered in the Youtube metric. It is like comparing both Gaon and Melon more or less.

Again, it is the combo of all things you need to look at, and I fail to see what possible combination would give 2019 to BP. Domestically it all goes to Twice and internationally, it varries.

What ever it may be, but the US World chart is one of the more easily available and widely recognized metrics and lots of people consume music by YouTube.

BlackPink only had one song, in my opinion that hurts them, plus Twice has Japan, the biggest market for kpop. That is an advantage. But I also know that social media is very important for the young kids, and teenagers and younger are the main targets of pop music, Blackpink blows all other GGs out of the water in that metric.

I am sure blinks can come in and post all kinds of statistics about social media engagements to make the argument what BP 'was the future' in 2019.

I am not interested on that since is hard for me to understand, but to the youngins those things are important.

• Itzy.

Y'all are forgetting how huge Dalla was. It was the first 4th gen megahit, it was the shot across the bow at 3rd gen, an early warning shot that 4th gen had arrived and that it was only a matter of time before they would be replaced.

Much like how Gangnam Style's massive breakthrough in 2012 was a warning shot to the rest of the world that Kpop was coming, paving the way for BTS and BP.

Icy was also a top 10 hit and their best song. Together i would put Itzy as the top GG.

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!